Westworld v. Humans (A. Ron and Jim please start coverage on Humans!!!!)

im sure this isn’t a brand new idea,  but can we compare and contrast Westworld with the AMC (channel 4 in UK) show humans and decide once for all that, well, Humans is simply a better show? I’m obviously biased So maybe what I’mreally  trying to do after watching the finale this season for Westworld is to convince fellow Westworld “fans” to check out a much more well written, well acted, and well crafted version of the inevitable sentient robot uprising. 

Humans does better: in 2.5 seasons, every episode seems to increase the stakes just enough to make it meaningful and important 

robots can can actually die, so there is an emotional impact with each death. Humans can too.

the show has established clear rules and doesn’t break them every episode.

the show probably doesn’t have the budget for big action, so it doesn’t try and fail all the time.

the two lead robots are both worth ‘rooting for’ even though peaceful and violent themes are weaved in and out seamlessly, I find myself liking the characters a lot more. I could stare at Gemma Chan for hours.

the show has a much more nuanced view, I think, of how humans will react (not with absolute ignorance and disgust)

its only fair though to mention that Westworld excels in the following areas too I suppose:

its a a darker more intense look on AI, Which makes for good chatter
the puzzle solving can be rewarding and the second screen experience is definitely a plus
my brain hurts at end of the show, fun, like a good math exam
Nudity
if you have difficulty understanding British accents there are fewer here
i think I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

anyhow,  this is really only the beginning of the discussion in my opinion but the point I’m trying to really make is, if you were as annoyed, confused or unaffected emotionally from Westworld this season as I was, I implore you to watch HUMANS...it’s way way better cause it makes me actually feel things and the characters have multi faceted personalities, even the robots!

Would love other opinions here too from those who have watched both. Thanks!

Demic

Comments

• I like both shows for different reasons. Both have their spot and should be watched (IMO). I’ve mentioned it in the Humans thread we have going, but if you’re looking for a show that deals with the politics of Human vs Sentiant AI then Himans May fit the bill more than Westworld. 
  • edited June 2018
    I’ve only caught little parts of Humans in the background while I was busy with other things but what I did see of it looked pretty interesting. 

I do eventually plan on giving it a chance. BM coverage would definitely give me the push I need...

@KingKobra   If you had to pick one and the other you could never watch again. Would you take Westworld or Humans? 
  • I’ve only caught little parts of Humans in the background while I was busy with other things but what I did see of it looked pretty interesting. 

I do eventually plan on giving it a chance. BM coverage would definitely give me the push I need...

@KingKobra   If you had to pick one and the other you could never watch again. Would you take Westworld or Humans? 
    Even though I really like it, I’d chose Humans in that case. I still recommend the show, but it is def a “slower” show than Westworld. 
    NervousRhino
  • edited June 2018
    I absolutely love the show Humans.  I also really love Westworld.  I enjoy what each of them do and they are very much very different shows about similar topics.  @shockg11 I completely 2nd what you said about Gemma Chan, absolutely gorgeous and with the "green eyes" adds that much more.  I was extremely surprised by how much I cared about the main "synth" characters almost immediately.  If you enjoy Westworld for the general topic of AI, you definitely need to check out Humans.

Also I'm with @KingKobra, if I had to choose one and never watch the other, I'd pick Humans as well.  Especially after the 2nd season of Westworld.  I thought it was good but just did too much to mess with minds of the audience.
    NervousRhinoshockg11
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked S1 of Westworld but I felt like it was up its own arse a bit with its cleverness, and I was put off with the whole MIB reveal, which didn’t seem to have been well played out at all, in my opinion. I haven’t bothered with S2 and I doubt I will. 

I like Humans a lot, but I think it loses a little each season - S1 was fantastic, S2 was good but got a bit off the rails at times, S3 has good bits, but I find myself looking at my phone a lot. Overall, though, I prefer Humans to Westworld. 

Eventually I intend to get around to the Scandinavian show (can’t remember which country) that Humans is based on, and see what that’s like. 
    NervousRhinoSchlupp
  • Humans, more like That Show That Always Looked Interesting and I Heard Good Things About It But Never Got Around To Trying It Out, But Hopefully I Will Someday Soon.

Westworld rules, unless the finale sucked. I haven't gotten to it yet.

BOOM! TRASH TALK!
  • KingKobra said:
    I’ve only caught little parts of Humans in the background while I was busy with other things but what I did see of it looked pretty interesting. 

Even though I really like it, I’d chose Humans in that case. I still recommend the show, but it is def a “slower” show than Westworld. 
    Opps, misread that, I would pick Westworld over Humans, sorry for the confusion. 
  • KingKobra said:
    KingKobra said:

Opps, misread that, I would pick Westworld over Humans, sorry for the confusion. 
    I thought the response seemed a little off on that.  It seemed like you were leaning towards Westworld but chose Humans.  We'll see how season 3 of Humans go and maybe revisit this.  I thought season 1 of Westworld was vastly superior to any single season of Humans but season 2 just didn't grab me like the first season did.  I'm planning a rewatch within the next month of Westworld and listening to the podcast so maybe after a rewatch and a better understanding of the season my opinion will change.
    KingKobraNervousRhino
  • KingKobra said:
    KingKobra said:

I thought the response seemed a little off on that.  It seemed like you were leaning towards Westworld but chose Humans.  We'll see how season 3 of Humans go and maybe revisit this.  I thought season 1 of Westworld was vastly superior to any single season of Humans but season 2 just didn't grab me like the first season did.  I'm planning a rewatch within the next month of Westworld and listening to the podcast so maybe after a rewatch and a better understanding of the season my opinion will change.
    Waiting for the UHDBRs for Westworld rewatch. Season 2 was vastly different in feeling although keeping some of the same threads. I didn’t have the visceral reaction that many did (I actually liked season 2), but I try to understand they why (if people articulate it) people didn’t like it. It’s not the same feeling I had at the end of Season 1, but I’m still looking forward to what they do. 

Humans hasn’t grabbed me like Westworld has (even with its flaws). I think a lot of what has been asked for in threads (more human interactions, politics of it all) is addressed/shown in Humans. Of course Humans basically starts where Season 3 will go (Sentient robots in the real world). Humans is very good at what it does though, but it’s proabably too slow for the masses. 
  • KingKobra said:
    KingKobra said:
    KingKobra said:

Waiting for the UHDBRs for Westworld rewatch. Season 2 was vastly different in feeling although keeping some of the same threads. I didn’t have the visceral reaction that many did (I actually liked season 2), but I try to understand they why (if people articulate it) people didn’t like it. It’s not the same feeling I had at the end of Season 1, but I’m still looking forward to what they do. 

Humans hasn’t grabbed me like Westworld has (even with its flaws). I think a lot of what has been asked for in threads (more human interactions, politics of it all) is addressed/shown in Humans. Of course Humans basically starts where Season 3 will go (Sentient robots in the real world). Humans is very good at what it does though, but it’s proabably too slow for the masses. 
    That's a good call waiting for the UHD version to come out but I don't know that I can wait that long to try and understand everything with it.  I purposefully haven't listened to any of the podcast coverage so I watched through 100% with only my own opinions and thoughts on what was going on so I think listening to their coverage will help.  I remember watching season 1 on UHD and that really shows you how shitty the compression is watching it on cable versus that.  
    KingKobra
  • @KingKobra thats for the Humans thread suggestion (http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/5048/humans#latest)

It's good to see it getting at least modest love on the forums here.  It may remain a niche show for the rest of its (presumably short) life but the pace of Humans and its lack of action suits me better I guess.  It’s more emotive and less cerebral that’s for sure.

but maybe the best reason I can offer to give Humans a try is exactly what @KingKobra said.Westworld season three is likely picking up where Humans started, with sentient robots in the real world. I feel like I had to watch half of the last two seasons of characters I don’t have any attachment to play ‘cowboys and indians’in a setting I can’t relate to, I might as well have watched old John Wayne movies. Grappling with the sociological, political and economic issues of sentient robots in Near future London?much more relatable.  That’s where I hoped westworld would lead me in season 2, but we spent like 45 minutes total outside the parks. I do have hopes for westworld next year though for the same reasons.