Sharp Objects

amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
Didn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd start one. Really looking forward to your guys' coverage!

Has anyone else read the book? I read it a couple of months ago with no clue that it was soon to be a show. Amy Adams isn't at all like the character I had pictured in my mind, but she's a legend so I have no doubts that she'll hit it out of the park.

I'd suggest being careful about reading through your feedback and theorising for this one, just like GoT there will no doubt be people that have read the book, know all of the twists and turns, and will send you their 'original ideas and guesses'.
JaimieTgguenothisdudeness915DummyMelonusk

Comments

• I have read the book - I like Gillian Flynn and have read Gone Girl and Dark Places as well.  I grew up in Missouri  so enjoy the settings of her books.

Looking forward to the mini series, especially since the guys might cover it on a podcast.  I too don't think Amy Adams would be my first choice for Camille but I think she is fully capable of doing a great job in the role.   The previews have been a bit vague, sort of Midwest-Gothic scary looking.  Not sure I would be drawn in as a viewer if I wasn't already familiar with the material but I hope it turns out good.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I read the book years ago when Gone Girl first came out, but I don’t remember it - I should read it again before the show starts.
  • I read all of Flynn's books and this was my least favorite. I still plan to watch though!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm sort of nervous about it. I love the talent attached and the trailers look killer, but hooooo-boy I did not like Gone Girl at all. Not even Carrie Coon at her tomboyest could save that one for me. 
    KingKobragroovydooley
  • I'm sort of nervous about it. I love the talent attached and the trailers look killer, but hooooo-boy I did not like Gone Girl at all. Not even Carrie Coon at her tomboyest could save that one for me. 
    Not that you need to explain, but I'm curious what you didnt like about it. I was luke warm on it and couldnt place why it wasnt a movie i REALLY liked.
    rkcrawfMurderbear
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    gguenot said:
    I'm sort of nervous about it. I love the talent attached and the trailers look killer, but hooooo-boy I did not like Gone Girl at all. Not even Carrie Coon at her tomboyest could save that one for me. 
    Not that you need to explain, but I'm curious what you didnt like about it. I was luke warm on it and couldnt place why it wasnt a movie i REALLY liked.
    Aside from the fact that I was uncomfortable with the idea of the plot being a woman setting up a man with an elaborate and malicious false accusation, to the extent that the whole time I was watching I was thinking, "man, people really thought this was a good idea?" in the political/sexual climate of the time... I thought Affleck was really bad, and Pike's character was a straight up cartoon. There wasn't anyone I really wanted to "win" or root for. I also found the ending perplexing and unsatisfying. 
    KingKobragguenotNoel
  • gguenot said:
    Aside from the fact that I was uncomfortable with the idea of the plot being a woman setting up a man with an elaborate and malicious false accusation, to the extent that the whole time I was watching I was thinking, "man, people really thought this was a good idea?" in the political/sexual climate of the time... I thought Affleck was really bad, and Pike's character was a straight up cartoon. There wasn't anyone I really wanted to "win" or root for. I also found the ending perplexing and unsatisfying. 
    I agree with virtually all of that. I do think that Affleck's character was sympathetic. Yes, he cheated, but thats in the realm of "reasonable shitty things you can do to someone". I don't think that should disqualify him to be rooted for.

Also, I found myself rooting so hard against Pike's character that it almost didnt matter what Affleck's character did. 

Ending was super unsatisfying and it wasnt one of those Game of Thones type "bad guy wins, but its done in a satisfying way".

At least we all got to see Ben Afflecks dick...
  • I read all the authors books and this one left e the most uncertain. I'm not really sure if I loved it, because I felt the need to keep reading as quickly as I could or if it was because it sucked and just wanted it to end. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    Sepinwall came out with a pretty positive review:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/sharp-objects-review-hbo-drama-cuts-like-a-knife-695172/

All of the people involved make me pretty hopefull that this will be good.  Director Jean-Marc Vallee did some great work on Big Little Lies, and I've loved Marti Noxon's work since she was a writer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I haven't read anything by Gillian Flynn, but I enjoyed the movie Gone Girl quite a bit.  I totally understand why people don't like that movie, and I'm sure there will be people that won't be into this show, but for the time being I'm all in.
    Doctor_NickA_Ron_Hubbard
  • sbench2sbench2 Ontario
    Is this getting full cast treatment? If so when will they be released? 
  • sbench2 said:
    Is this getting full cast treatment? If so when will they be released? 
    I believe they said full treatment but only on the BM TV feed.  It's a finite miniseries after all.   I assume Tuesdays for your last question. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    This is my wife's favorite book of Flynn's and is very pumped. She forgot it started today and got really excited.

She hasn't loved the other adaptations of her books, but said this looks good. I'm not convinced it needed eight episodes but we shall see.

• MichelleMichelle California
    I haven't read the book and admittedly know nothing about the plot, but I did see the trailer and it looks promising.  Hearing that Jean-Marc Vallee is directing it just pushes me more toward watching it.  I really liked his work on Big Little Lies.  Looking forward to the show and the accompanying BM podcast.
  • To be honest, I would really like to see HBO do more mini series type projects.  I think these short movie-like series is how you can pull a talent like Amy Adams off the big screen.   
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited July 9
    Edit: Moved to episode thread
  • To be honest, I would really like to see HBO do more mini series type projects.  I think these short movie-like series is how you can pull a talent like Amy Adams off the big screen.   
    Check out the Night Of, and Top of the Lake Season 1. 
  • mjmulladymjmullady Indiana
    The book was a favorite of mine and I read it after reading Gone Girl and really preferred it.  Probably because the characters were even more broken but yet more real.  That and shit it was dark.  Anyway, I'm glad we're getting a podcast treatment, I'm always leary of adaptions but hey I'm a Amy Adams fanboy since Cruel Intentions 2 lol so it's all good.