GLOW Season 2

edited July 2 in Other TV
Anyone else watched or watching?

I have mixed feelings on this season. I liked it just a little less than the 1st season but it was still pretty good for the most part. Some episodes stood out as really good and a couple really bad. I think it kept a good balance of being serious when necessary and still being funny.

It just kind of lost my interest towards the end when they started giving the wrestling characters these long,  drawn out cheesy backstories. It is definitely a show made to be binge watched. I don’t think I would enjoy watching it spread out weekly. I still liked it though and would watch a 3rd season. 

What did you all think? Did any characters stand out for you?

Comments

• ShumShum Utah
    I binged the whole thing on Friday and really enjoyed it.  I agree it's not as strong as Season 1, but still very good.  Allison Brie and Marc Maron are still my favorites.  I also enjoyed seeing more of Tamme (welfare queen) and her conflict with portraying a stereotype.  I want to see more stuff with Cherry's husband, because I love that guy.  Debbie was a bit much at times, but I understand what they were trying to do with her.  Definitely excited for season 3!
    NervousRhino
  • With 42 minutes to go in season 2, I liked season 2 better than season 1. All the cheesy backstories and satire of 80s pop culture was hilarious to me. I was thoroughly entertained by the personas. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Glen TV executive character reminds me of Scott Gimple from the Walking Dead.
    hisdudeness915
  • I couldn't stand episode 8 when they just showed every character doing their own story (especially when they were all singing, even Zoya was part of that which made zero sense since she did the kidnapping).  I think for that episode if they just showed them outside the story thing and back in the real world for a little bit, I could have enjoyed it a bit.  But they didn't and so I was just shaking my head (especially at the goat thing with a small chuckle that she did eat him at the end) and thinking how this season was not as enjoyable as season 1.

The Debbie/Liberty Belle character, I just can't stand and have no rooting interest in (which may be the point, and this was before she broke Zoya's ankle). 

I did enjoy that they gave Zoya the win at the end.

Overall, I'd rate this season as a "meh".  Assuming there is a season 3, I'd watch because I'm usually the type of person where once I start watching a show, I don't stop even if I'm not finding it that enjoyable (just the need to sort of see it through I guess).

ChinaskiNervousRhino
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Binged the whole season last weekend and loved it. This show is just so damn funny to me. That being said though, that scene with Ruth and the grimey exec guy was very difficult to watch but I’m glad they went the way they did. Just like Sam said, Fuck that guy!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA

I couldn't stand episode 8 when they just showed every character doing their own story (especially when they were all singing, even Zoya was part of that which made zero sense since she did the kidnapping).  I think for that episode if they just showed them outside the story thing and back in the real world for a little bit, I could have enjoyed it a bit.  But they didn't and so I was just shaking my head (especially at the goat thing with a small chuckle that she did eat him at the end) and thinking how this season was not as enjoyable as season 1.

The Debbie/Liberty Belle character, I just can't stand and have no rooting interest in (which may be the point, and this was before she broke Zoya's ankle). 

I did enjoy that they gave Zoya the win at the end.

Overall, I'd rate this season as a "meh".  Assuming there is a season 3, I'd watch because I'm usually the type of person where once I start watching a show, I don't stop even if I'm not finding it that enjoyable (just the need to sort of see it through I guess).

i agree for the most part with all of this. esp hating episode 8. i get what they were trying to do but it was just bad TV and hard to watch. i really enjoyed the finale which bumped my rating from a 'meh' to a 'it was fine'.
    NervousRhino
  • edited July 12
    Watching the real GLOW documentary helped me appreciate the overall story a little bit more but also made me realize there is potential for it to be better if they would maybe stop the whole hanging on by a thread plot and get into when GLOW was actually a success.  

It sounds like most of the drama and “fun” described by the real women of GLOW (who seem awesome btw) happened at its high point.

It could be budgeting or pacing issues holding them back but now I know what direction I hope they go in if things move forward. 
    Chinaski
    Watching the real GLOW documentary helped me appreciate the overall story a little bit more but also made me realize there is potential for it to be better if they would maybe stop the whole hanging on by a thread plot and get into when GLOW was actually a success.  

It sounds like most of the drama and “fun” described by the real women of GLOW (who seem awesome btw) happened at its high point.

It could be budgeting or pacing issues holding them back but now I know what direction I hope they go in if things move forward. 
    i really enjoyed the GLOW doc and totally remember watching it as a kid with my sister. heck, they even had a cameo on Married With Children (great ep btw)
    NervousRhino
  • Chinaski said:
    i really enjoyed the GLOW doc and totally remember watching it as a kid with my sister. heck, they even had a cameo on Married With Children (great ep btw)
    It’s definitely something I would of watched if I was old enough when it was around. I just barely missed it. All throughout the 90s I was a big wrestling fan and always liked watching the women’s matches when they were on. Alundra Blayze was always my favorite until Chyna showed up in the late 90s. 
  • I've really been liking season 2.  First couple episodes, I wasn't sure I would.  Eight is weird, like everyone says, but it's a solid show.  Anyone who wants to try some really cool wrestling after this might like Lucha Underground on Netflix, too.
    i didn't think it was weird. i just thought it was really bad and annoying.
  • I get that episode 8 is suppose to be weird.  The way episode 7 ends is with Sam saying something to the extent of "now we can do whatever we want".  But, to have the whole episode of nothing but the back stories or random, I just found boring and stupid.  If they showed the characters in the real world for a bit (other than the matches), I think I could have enjoyed that episode better.  But without that, I just thought the episode was just bad.  Especially when they're singing about "kidnapping is bad" and I'm most certain that Zoya was shown singing with everyone (that just makes no sense as she is the kidnapper in this case, but maybe I'm wrong in that she wasn't part of the group singing).
    Chinaski
  • edited July 12
    She was part of it but I think that was for humor. 

I think that backstory stuff was bad and boring too.  Maybe if they had spread that out through different episodes it would’ve been ok but all at once completely lost my interest.