Star Wars - General Discussion (Spoilers all)

JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
edited July 2 in General
I couldn't find a thread discussing Star Wars in general, which is something we do a lot here. I figured I'd make a catch-all if anyone else wants to use it in the future. 

Part I - Use the fans

First of all, this was moderately amusing and contains one good idea which I'll write after the video link in case you want to watch it spoiler-free. ;)

The idea is that Star Wars should just cash out on the hardcore fans who will spend tons of money and aren't very critical. I have a 30-something friend who fits the bill perfectly. He buys Star Wars lego sets for hundreds of dollars, and he enjoys all the movies because of the battles and ships; at least that's how he's described it to me. He's actually really discerning about media otherwise... it's just Star Wars is his blind spot, I guess.

Part II - Location, location

This is the line for Harry Potter's Wizarding World in 2010. 

In Disneyland, Galaxy's Edge opens summer 2019. In Disney World, Galaxy's Edge opens late fall 2019.

I don't think Galaxy's Edge will have nearly as big of an opening as what Harry Potter saw. For one, I think fans have cooled off on the franchise. (Of course I think that, being one of them.) For another, Star Wars is about a feeling and Harry Potter... I mean, whatever Harry Potter is about, it's got a strong sense of place. Harry Potter might actually be about belonging, so of course it has a strong sense of place. The only place I think I want to go in Star Wars is the Millenium Falcon, and I want to go there about as much as I want to go to the Weasley's house, which is to say... some.

However, fandom isn't quite so conscious a thing as this, so this is just a loose prediction. I haven't even been to the Wizarding World because Universal Orlando, what the fuck is that? If I'm in Orlando I'm going to Disney World, and seeing Galaxy's Edge is $60 (it's about $60 extra for a park hopper ticket) and seeing Harry Potter in both Universal parks is $200. So budget-wise and park-wise, I'll be voting for Star Wars long before Harry Potter.

Part III - How to bring down the Empire

About the recent gossip about Kathleen Kennedy having been nearly fired, Beyond The Trailer on YouTube had an interesting idea that I think might work. Assuming Kathleen Kennedy is under scrutiny right now (and I think that's safe to say), episode 9 is a very important movie for her. If fans decide to wait out this movie, we could "vote" for her being fired. I care so little about episode 9 that I'm thinking about trying that.

The more I've pondered this, the more I think she deserves it. Not that it's all her fault, but look what a great storyteller like John Lasseter can do for a brand. Or whoever's running Marvel. There have been four Star Wars movies under KK. I think one of them is good, I think one of them is merely fun, and the rest I hate. And one of them I think is absolutely fucking awful (RO). What kind of track record is that?

I'd love to see Star Wars in capable hands.
JoshuaHeter

Comments

• Alright, let's make it quick...Last Jedi was great, the amount of people who hated it is smaller than you think it is, the amount of people who hated it had little to nothing to do with Solo's poor performance, the amount of people who hated it will have little to nothing to do with Episode 9's performance, Kathleen Kennedy should not be fired for Crimes Against Star Wars or whatever and almost certainly won't be unless more films start bombing and critical response drops, and people really need to chill out about this whole Star Wars thing. Fandom has been having this exact same tired, circular argument for eight months now, and I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.

Honestly, I'm just confused at this point. I really want to try and understand the mindset of someone who is so Mad About Star Wars that they're out here making YouTube videos metagaming the best way to take down Kathleen Kennedy and "save" the franchise, but I can't.
    Jovial_FalconasmallcatKingKobragguenotTraviswalktheskyThe_Third_Man
  • Disney is a business. 

TFA - Estimates put profits north of $750 million

RO - Estimates put profits at $319 million

TLJ - Estimates put profits at $417 million

Even if Solo loses money or barely breaks even, that's a pretty damn good track record. Disney's only concern here is making as much money as possible. Why would they take a risk when, thus far, they've already made well over a billion dollars in profit on this franchise? 
    KingKobra
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    It’s an empirical question how many people were turned off by TLJ, or how much $ Disney has left on the table by putting out the movies they have, as opposed to movies that a very vocal subset of fans would’ve enjoyed more.

Both fans and opponents of TLJ can throw out figures to build their respective cases, but ultimately, none of those arguments will be anywhere close to conclusive.

That said, I do think it’s telling that 3 out of the 4 SW movies Disney has produced have had *major* production issues (and that does not include the Episode IX / Trevorrow issue).

With that in mind, one thing is for sure; the “You want Kennedy replaced as the head of SW just because she made some SW movies you didn’t like.” is a straw man.
    JaimieT
  • Alright, let's make it quick...Last Jedi was great, the amount of people who hated it is smaller than you think it is, the amount of people who hated it had little to nothing to do with Solo's poor performance, the amount of people who hated it will have little to nothing to do with Episode 9's performance, Kathleen Kennedy should not be fired for Crimes Against Star Wars or whatever and almost certainly won't be unless more films start bombing and critical response drops, and people really need to chill out about this whole Star Wars thing. Fandom has been having this exact same tired, circular argument for eight months now, and I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.

Honestly, I'm just confused at this point. I really want to try and understand the mindset of someone who is so Mad About Star Wars that they're out here making YouTube videos metagaming the best way to take down Kathleen Kennedy and "save" the franchise, but I can't.
    It’s not even worth engaging anymore to be honest. While I understand that people are upset, it’s gone a little far recently. If the angry fans get what they want, but SW fails financially, thus killing the brand would that make them happy? For longevity sake I would hope that people want change and characters to grow beyond what they once where. 

I wouldn’t say I loved either TLJ or TFA, I really liked both however and have watched both multiple times. I just “¯\_(ツ)_/¯” as when tying to engage, there is way too much emotion or vile behavior involved to even try and have an open discussion. Everyone should be able to voice their opinion though so I have no issues with people doing negative type posts, it’s just one area where it just leads to hamster wheel discussions,
    so I try to stay out. 
    JaimieTTraviswalktheskyrkcrawf
  • I respect people who didnt like TLJ up to the point where the cross into the "they only have a female lead because of PC culture" and "Kylo Ren is an incel nazi".

Travisrkcrawf
  • edited July 2
    gguenot said:
    I respect people who didnt like TLJ up to the point where the cross into the "they only have a female lead because of PC culture" and "Kylo Ren is an incel nazi".

Oh for sure, and a lot of the vitriol directed towards Kennedy is definitely tied into the fact that she's a woman. Not accusing anyone on this forum of any of this, but it's definitely out there. I mean, shit, look at that "Beyond the Trailer" video Jaimie linked - there's a whole section where the host rants about how """SJWs""" have come and taken over this beloved franchise from the older fans and ruined it by "pushing their beliefs" into it.

People can't just look at Star Wars and say "well, I didn't like that film" and then move on anymore. You can criticize The Last Jedi all day if you want - it's a subjective opinion, I may not agree with it, but that's...you know, the point of criticism of art. What I can't take is people turning Star Wars into this fucking cultural battleground, where "something has to be done", and Disney are somehow committing grand injustices against the poor, poor, "original fans" (or, worse, "real fans") for making films they don't like. Watch that Beyond the Trailer video. Listen to how seriously she takes this, and how personally wronged she feels in this situation. That is what we're dealing with here, and I think it's only going to get worse from here on out.
    gguenotTravis
  • gguenot said:
    I respect people who didnt like TLJ up to the point where the cross into the "they only have a female lead because of PC culture" and "Kylo Ren is an incel nazi".

Oh for sure, and a lot of the vitriol directed towards Kennedy is definitely tied into the fact that she's a woman. Not accusing anyone on this forum of any of this, but it's definitely out there. I mean, shit, look at that "Beyond the Trailer" video Jaimie linked - there's a whole section where the host rants about how """SJWs""" have come and taken over this beloved franchise from the older fans and ruined it by "pushing their beliefs" into it.
    Oh jesus I thought maybe it was buried in the video but it's right on the list of topics up on the video the whole time. Why should we take anything this person says remotely seriously?

Like, I get not liking a movie, but the online "activists" who are pushing back so hard against it are inextricably entwined with the anti-SJW nutjobs who hated TLJ cause it had women in leadership positions. 
    SomeBiscuitKingKobraJovial_Falcon
  • gguenot said:

People can't just look at Star Wars and say "well, I didn't like that film" and then move on anymore. You can criticize The Last Jedi all day if you want - it's a subjective opinion, I may not agree with it, but that's...you know, the point of criticism of art. What I can't take is people turning Star Wars into this fucking cultural battleground, where "something has to be done", and Disney are somehow committing grand injustices against the poor, poor, "original fans" (or, worse, "real fans") for making films they don't like. Watch that Beyond the Trailer video. Listen to how seriously she takes this, and how personally wronged she feels in this situation. That is what we're dealing with here, and I think it's only going to get worse from here on out.
    Oh, I know you werent accusing anyone of that. Anytime is see someone post about TLJ, theres always people who go down that route of woman shaming and being overly critical of the actresses specifically instead of how theyre written-- its super annoying.
    SomeBiscuit
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2
    I linked the Beyond The Trailer video, but I don't agree with everything in it. Just putting that in writing. 

And I'm not mad. My post subtitles are intentionally, well, silly like titles often are. I know we're talking about the greater fandom tho.
    edited July 2
    With that in mind, one thing is for sure; the “You want Kennedy replaced as the head of SW just because she made some SW movies you didn’t like.” is a straw man.

It's reductionist too. When people get that reductionist, I feel like agreeing with them for the hell of it because the argument itself is a lost cause. So in that spirit, yeah, I do want people who make art that I don't like to make way for others to try their hand at it.

To make it complex again, as it is, this isn't the creative commons where competition wins out... Star Wars artists are a limited quantity. There's a lot at stake.

Maybe-just-maybe Star Wars is more angsty than it used to be because it became a "universe" and not a handful of movies.
    JoshuaHeter
  • edited July 2
    @JaimieT I've never thought of you as a "rah rah SJWs ruining media" type and didn't think the Beyond the Trailer video's views on that topic were indicative of your own, sorry if I didn't make that clear in my earlier post. I was trying to use your post as a jumping off point to talk about larger concerns in the fandom which I think are far more pressing than whether the films are good or not. I'm glad you're not mad, because I think the quality of a Star Wars film is a silly thing to be mad about, but I am. I'm mad that everyone involved in The Last Jedi is still being subjected to a tidal wave of harassment and bullshit. I'm fucking furious that Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley were chased off of social media because of it, and that the people who did so felt justified in their actions because their favorite space film series isn't good anymore and/or has too many girls in it. I'm mad that a bunch of self-proclaimed "original" fans think they're more entitled to the films than newer fans, and that the films should be made for them and them alone. And I think when people sweep all of these issues under the rug so they can complain about Kathleen Kennedy for the twentieth time, it does real harm to the discussion. Again, I'm not trying to fault you specifically for this, I just think it's something that's very easy to lose sight of - I've made this mistake plenty of times. I started my first post in this thread with a petty, meaningless "Last Jedi was great" comment without even thinking about it, though I stand by everything I wrote after that. The truth is I'm not really interested in arguing about whether The Last Jedi was good or not anymore, I'm interested in talking about....everything else, really.

Anyway, I'm not saying that it's bad or unreasonable for people to get overly invested or even heated when talking about pop culture - look how many words I've spilled in this forum on rants about the state of The Walking Dead, and that's not even a show I ever really loved; even at it's best, I only ever liked it. I just think that with Star Wars in particular things have been taken several steps too far. It's genuinely become one of the worst fanbases out there, an impressive feat considering basically any fanbase these days has the potential to become deeply toxic and reactionary given the right circumstances. I think there are definitely discussions to be had about the state of the franchise, and I say that as someone who's liked basically everything they've put out since 2015, but I hope that we can have them thoughtfully on this forum, and without indulging in our worst nerd impulses.
    KingKobra
    @SomeBiscuit

And just because I didn't talk about the fandom (beyond the small point that they can be exploited for money, lol) doesn't mean I don't think it's a problem. I'm just honestly not very familiar with it these days. I unsubbed to the Star Wars subreddit because it got really reddit-y. Which is an insult of course. Maybe subconsciously I assume half of all Star Wars fans are terrible people, IDK. Is that even anything that can change? It seems like a human problem. But I have observed bad franchises turn into fun franchises so that's still interesting to me.
  • JaimieT said:
    I linked the Beyond The Trailer video, but I don't agree with everything in it. Just putting that in writing. 

And I'm not mad. My post subtitles are intentionally, well, silly like titles often are. I know we're talking about the greater fandom tho.
    I know you wouldn't agree with that portion of the video. Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of that. 

I guess what I was saying was any online movement for organized pushback against TLJ has been tainted, doubtlessly unfairly in some cases, by the incredibly loud toxic portion of the fan base that will jump on any attempt to make Disney realize some number of fans didn't like TLJ because it suits their agenda. That's why I'm incredibly sleptical and tired of loud pushback against TLJ. I think there's an ulterior motive way too often (not with you - it's clear from your posts around here you aren't coming from there, and are just a fan who really doesn't like the direction the new movies are going - completely fair).  

It's like when the new ghostbusters movie came out. I never saw it. It looked bad, and it probably was. But bad movies come out all the time. The screeds against that movie were mostly based on something other than it being a bad movie. When people see a bad movie, mostly they just don't watch it again, or don't keep watching the series. SW is a special case because it does have such a rabid fanbase, and I have no bout there would be pushback even if TLJ hadn't been more progressive or whatever it was that angered the man-babies. But I doubt it would have been this loud and sustained. 

All that being said, TLJ was a flawed movie I, on the whole, enjoyed despite the flaws, but the flaws were glaring. It's the worst non-prequel movie IMO (didn't see Solo). 
    JaimieT
    At the risk of us all being too nice to each other, which is a real problem on the internet, and in Star Wars discussions it's practically cliche! -- I knew you guys weren't giving me side-eye for that video, but I wanted to say it anyway because I DO like much of the ""SJW"" elements -- such a joke, it's literally just more female characters where people are used to male characters and if anything got preachy in TLJ it was conservationism -- and also I've watched a lot of her videos and she's one of those I don't always agree with but she's articulate and pithy.

Thanks for surviving that run-on sentence.
    edited July 3
    I rewatched the video.

In the "SJW attack" part (10:30-), she talks about the current fan culture. How the people that like the direction of Star Wars are accusing the dissenters of disliking the movie for bad, superficial reasons, something that has happened to me a few times. I think that segment of the video is NOT named well... it's very inflammatory and unhelpful, but I think her idea has merit. Her idea being: (1) toxic fans are in every fandom, (2) as a whole the fans that dislike the direction of Star Wars dislike it for valid reasons, (3) it isn't cool that they're being told to shut up.

Earlier in the video she does say that maybe Star Wars swung too far to the liberal/SJW side (in the "too political" section), and I'm not sure what she means by that. She's talking business decisions so I'm willing to overlook what might otherwise look sexist. (I say "sexist" because she refers to the quantity of female characters just before that and that's the only context I can see. It IS true that there have been no new male principle protagonists, but Jesus, it's just 2 for 2, and people will make 50 male protagonists in a row and not blink an eye. Then again just because it's logical doesn't mean we respond to it in storytelling.) I think the labels are hurting more than helping her argument, and anyway this specific point is so poorly supported the video would be better without it.

Discussing the fandom gets so "he said she said" so this is probably all I'll say about it. Just that we don't have statistics and maybe we should all be a little more open-minded about each other, like you all have been with me. And Josh.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus

asmallcat said:
    Disney is a business. 

Even if Solo loses money or barely breaks even, that's a pretty damn good track record. Disney's only concern here is making as much money as possible. Why would they take a risk when, thus far, they've already made well over a billion dollars in profit on this franchise? 
    The problem is that Disney has a major property (Marvel) that have numbers that look like the reverse of these.

Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.
    I think the big DC fans have been calling for Zack Snyder's head for a while.
    JoshuaHeterJaimieT
  • Part of me wishes the new movies were as good as the old... Interestingly, I have two versions of canon going on. One incorporates the prequels and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. The other is 4, 5, and most of 6 - the Ewoks and other parts of VI that I didn't like were obviously where Lucas altered the historical documents, either to make them more palatable or for production cost reasons. From what I've been able to piece together, Luke saw the error of his ways, joined his father and overthrew the emperor, and they lived happily ever after ruling the galaxy together as father and son. 

More seriously, I'm like Jim in that I'm no longer invested in SW fandom like I used to be... Not sure how much that bothers me, even.

• asmallcat said:
    Disney is a business. 

The problem is that Disney has a major property (Marvel) that have numbers that look like the reverse of these.

Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.
    I think the big DC fans have been calling for Zack Snyder's head for a while.
    Marvel wasn’t always what they are today, if we count the liceneced things like X-Men and other movies they have their own “flops”. I think it’s a bit early to be saying anything regarding SW (IMO). 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I'm never going to be mad over a movie...

Well, excluding The Dark Tower because that was a piece of trash from another dimension.

Anyway, I do not hate the Last Jedi, but I find it incredibly boring whenever I try to watch it again. Loved the first trip through, and same happened for Force Awakens.

But each time I try to watch, I'm disengaged and never get the same feeling again. Rouge One was decent, but I've never had the desire to watch again, minus the last eight minutes or so.

Hell at this point, I've gotten more enjoyment out of the prequels. But to be fair, I had no one to introduce me to the original trilogy until I was 14 and the 97 re-release. I was such a non Star Wars kid, I thought they were remaking them, not re-releasing them.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    It seems like there was no winning with the sequels.

fans complained about everything. 

episode 7 was derivative and a blatant copy of a New Hope. Rey was a Mary Sue so people flipped out and complained.

Episode 8 was different and new and Luke wasn’t the male version of Mary Sue everyone expected and was vulnerable so people complained. 

Not sure how you win when fans seem to have built up a decades worth of theories in their minds and when the movie’s don’t follow that they bitch and moan. How do you write a story when fans complain about a Mary Sue then want a Mary Sue?

I’m guilty myself of being upset with episode 7. They had a million ways to go and the least interesting way was having rebellion 2.0. But I still enjoyed it for what it was. I really enjoyed episode 8. It just sucks that we got 1 chance at the sequels and there’s no going back. 

edited July 3
    I don't see episode 7 and 8 as a false dichotomy, so I believe there were many potential better outcomes.
    Reposting from another forum because this is one of the better ideas I’ve had in a while (feel free to ignore). Here’s what STAR WARS 7, 8, and 9 should have been.

The Empire was (at least in part) inspired by the Nazis. So, at the end of ROTJ, the space Nazis were largely defeated. With that in mind, the original trilogy should be thought of as a sort of space WWII. Thus, the sequel trilogy should have mirrored the 2nd half of the 20th century.

After ROTJ, the galaxy is split in two. One half is ruled by the remnants of the Rebellion in a new republic of sorts (i.e. like the U.S. and Western Europe). The other half is ruled by a sort of U.S.S.R. in space. 

There is a Cold War... in space. There are so many things they could have done with this. Perhaps both sides have Death Star Tech... but it hasn't been used since the Empire. Also, there are a ton of spy stories they could tell. Also... they could have former rebels tracking down former Empire officers in the same way (real) Nazis were tracked down in South America. There could be small star systems that have civil war or other conflicts in the same vein as Korea, Vietnam, or other counties during the Cold War.

Someone get me 1) JJ Abrams’ phone number and 2) a way to get back to 2014.

JaimieT
    Reposting from another forum because this is one of the better ideas I’ve had in a while (feel free to ignore). Here’s what STAR WARS 7, 8, and 9 should have been.

The Empire was (at least in part) inspired by the Nazis. So, at the end of ROTJ, the space Nazis were largely defeated. With that in mind, the original trilogy should be thought of as a sort of space WWII. Thus, the sequel trilogy should have mirrored the 2nd half of the 20th century.

After ROTJ, the galaxy is split in two. One half is ruled by the remnants of the Rebellion in a new republic of sorts (i.e. like the U.S. and Western Europe). The other half is ruled by a sort of U.S.S.R. in space. 

There is a Cold War... in space. There are so many things they could have done with this. Perhaps both sides have Death Star Tech... but it hasn't been used since the Empire. Also, there are a ton of spy stories they could tell. Also... they could have former rebels tracking down former Empire officers in the same way (real) Nazis were tracked down in South America. There could be small star systems that have civil war or other conflicts in the same vein as Korea, Vietnam, or other counties during the Cold War.

Someone get me 1) JJ Abrams’ phone number and 2) a way to get back to 2014.

That would be really interesting, especially because the concept isn't just about the Jedi. I like it when the Jedi are complementary... it feels more realistic. The current movies are almost backwards. Jedi mythos prioritized with politics and social order as an afterthought. I think this is why I respect the prequels more than this new stuff.
    JoshuaHeter
  • RO was basically a spy movie and that got trashed by fans (I liked it). Episodes 1-9 are basically the Skywalker saga so that kind of takes away from the essence of what is being described above. 
  • KingKobra said:
    RO was basically a spy movie and that got trashed by fans (I liked it). Episodes 1-9 are basically the Skywalker saga so that kind of takes away from the essence of what is being described above. 
    Did it? I thought RO was generally very well-received, both in and out of the hardcore fandom. 
    Jovial_FalconDoctor_Nick
    KingKobra said:
    RO was basically a spy movie and that got trashed by fans (I liked it). Episodes 1-9 are basically the Skywalker saga so that kind of takes away from the essence of what is being described above. 

The war in the original sequels was a backdrop to the Skywalker saga. So, I think they could have continued that story with the Cold War in space backdrop.

In what we have now, Luke and Han are dead. All we have left are Kylo and (maybe) Leia(?) Rey, the main protagonist *apparently* is completely unrelated, so it’s not like the sequel trilogy has put an emphasis on continue the Skywalker saga.
    JaimieT
    It's come to the point anytime someone makes a statement about the fans I'm going to say I perceived the exact opposite 
    JoshuaHeter
  • KingKobra said:

The war in the original sequels was a backdrop to the Skywalker saga. So, I think they could have continued that story with the Cold War in space backdrop.

In what we have now, Luke and Han are dead. All we have left are Kylo and (maybe) Leia(?) Rey, the main protagonist *apparently* is completely unrelated, so it’s not like the sequel trilogy has put an emphasis on continue the Skywalker saga.
    Unless instead of Rey the redemption/story arc is for Kylo (which makes more sense). He was born of Skywalker and Solo and decided much like Anakin to turn to the dark side. We know he has been constantly conflicted and in the end his redemption might be to close the loop and “save” himself and the rebels. 

I know the war was the backdrop, but if both sides are equal it kind of goes against the rebel “underdogs” (which they have been since day 1). This is starting to get deep into fan fiction type things where people are rewriting things (again). It’s where I tend to check out.

as far as RO, I’ve seen some pretty negative things online about it (outside of the DV scene at end). Like I said I liked it so it’s oretty much a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to me.  

• KingKobra said:

I think one thing all SW fans can agree on is, please, please god don't have CGI old leia play a major role in EP 9. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:

I think one thing all SW fans can agree on is, please, please god don't have CGI old leia play a major role in EP 9. 
    I recall them saying they wouldnt