Smart Doorbells

I don’t really think it’s a necessity but I really want to get one. Ive been trying to talk myself out of one for months now and just going to pull the trigger. I’ve read up on most the main brands and was just curious if anybody out there has any praise or gripes about any particular ones. 

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Keeping an eye on this post... we’ve been toying with the idea as well. We love our smart lights, light bulbs and outlets. Not a fan of the Siri home speaker because she replies to us sometimes when we don’t even address her. But it’s a convenient speaker !!!
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 4
    On windy days that thing goes off constantly. Also varments running around sets it off. Damned possum get off my lawn!
    dogs think someone is coming so they bark. 
  • I only have a dumb bell... and my arms look great  B)

***ba dun tssss***
    TaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I know Eric has one that he likes. The problem is he has like four forum identities. @Wahl-e, @Eric, @HolyBlotterBatman
    TaraC73
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte have recommended the Ring Video Pro several times on the Security Now! podcast.  Ring has been a sponsor on that podcast several times before, but Steve seemed to be impressed with how quickly they have patched and updated security vulnerabilities that have been discovered in the past.

I have a Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect, both of which I love.  They recently released a doorbell.  I haven't used it at all, but if it's anywhere near as good as their other products it should be great!

I would stay firmly away from any of the cheaper knockoff brands you might find on Amazon or elsewhere.  These are usually poorly designed Chinese garbage products with no real security.  

Basically, buy a Ring or a Nest.  If you already have a different product by either, buy that brand.  Otherwise, buy the one you like more.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
     I am not a technophobe at all; in fact I do IT at work, but I am more into old-school doorbells and keys and whatnot. Every time you add an internet connected item to your house it adds a security vulnerability. The Internet of Things is kind of the wild west in terms of vulnerabilities at the moment. I also don't use devices like Google Home, Echo etc. 

Leo Leporte is an interesting reference- I like him too but whenever someone brings up security he is like "eh whatever." So if you don't feel "eh whatever" about the security of your home, I wouldn't necessarily go by his recommendation.
    Giovanni
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    We have one although our situation is different than most. Vivint offers a discount for disabilities and we wanted a way to secure the basement door so our autistic daughter couldn't go down there without us having to airways unlock a keyed deadbolt. We also wanted some cameras so we could monitor what she was doing and an alarm so we would know if she opened a door at night (we are not very concerned with burglars--there are lots of more enticing targets than our house in the area). The deal came with 1 internal camera, 1 exterior camera, one internal door panel, a nest thermostat, sensors and the doorbell camera.  It works pretty well for our purposes, and has been pretty funny a few times. 
    akritenbrinkTaraC73
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    Other than that we have an echo and a dot and 95% of what we use it for is adding stuff to shopping lists. 
    TaraC73