301 -Valar Dohaeris - Spoilers!

Discussion for the upcoming rewatch podcast!
KingKobraNaugustinerkcrawf

Comments

• MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    This season is/was the height of trying to hide things from my wife. She also wanted to know why I was talking Jaime up so much before the season.

It also starts to feel like this is where the books and show really start to split into two different entities.
    voodooratTaka
  • No real insights just wondering if anyone else sat down with the intention of watching the one episode to get ready for the podcast and wound up binging six episodes? And there went my weekend...
    rkcrawfAlexMichelleMelonuskkianescjen.e
  • I’m just watching one, for now. I didn’t realize that Qyburn was introduced this early. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • edited July 8
    Thank god! I need a little GOT in my life.
    jen.e
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    rkcrawf said:
    I’m just watching one, for now. I didn’t realize that Qyburn was introduced this early. 
    Yeah, I never remembered him until The Mountain stuff started in season 4.
  • I watched three episodes this weekend! Fastforwarded thru all the Theon parts. Season 3 Theon/Ramsey is not my cup o tea.   

Season 3 is pretty strong - Jamie redemption arc, developing relationship w brienne, some solid Tyrion scenes. Fascinating to watch Cersei knowing what a big monster was waiting to pounce the whole time. And how everyone pretty much dismissed her as a serious threat.  

On the other hand, in hindsight I  can kind of see the thread unraveling on the story’s pacing. Bran getting introduced to the 3 eyed raven here with a purely expository character in boy Reed. And yet we still don’t know a lot about how the whole raven thing works with one season left. Oh well. No show is perfect i guess. Looking forward to the cast. 
  • I think it’s very interesting that we get Jon Snow saying what turns out to be his entire life principle as a lie to Mance. He just throws out that he saw a white take a baby and he fights for the living to Mance as a reason why he flipped sides. He and his not dad Ned both have trouble telling lies and in the moment he tries to lie he accidentally tells the truth. 
    A_Ron_Hubbardmjmulladyweeniegirl
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I think it’s very interesting that we get Jon Snow saying what turns out to be his entire life principle as a lie to Mance. He just throws out that he saw a white take a baby and he fights for the living to Mance as a reason why he flipped sides. He and his not dad Ned both have trouble telling lies and in the moment he tries to lie he accidentally tells the truth. 

That's interesting. It shows he recognizes honor but isn't sold to it. He's more nuanced than Ned, and I don't think that's something he grows out of...
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I believe that it wasn't Cersei that ordered Mandon Moore to kill Tyrion, but rather Joffrey.  Much in the same way everyone side-eyed Cersei for the attack on Bran but it was really Joffrey behind it.

I don't remember if that is revealed yet, but I think that's supposed to be the tension in the scene in S3E1 between Tyrion and Cersei-- they each have completely different perspectives on their feud for their father's affection
    rkcrawf
  • Ajas said:
    I believe that it wasn't Cersei that ordered Mandon Moore to kill Tyrion, but rather Joffrey.  Much in the same way everyone side-eyed Cersei for the attack on Bran but it was really Joffrey behind it.

I don't remember if that is revealed yet, but I think that's supposed to be the tension in the scene in S3E1 between Tyrion and Cersei-- they each have completely different perspectives on their feud for their father's affection
    i believe you are correct. I think it is revealed later...similar to how it was Joffrey that had all Robert's bastards put to the knife.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 12
    I don't think I ever knew that.  I'm not sure it makes too much sense.

Ajas said:
     Much in the same way everyone side-eyed Cersei for the attack on Bran but it was really Joffrey behind it.

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I'm not sure it was ever in the show, because it didn't really matter *which* Lannister was the most bad, it wasn't a season for nuance. But in the books Tyrion and Jaime sleuth it out separately.

Tyrion: "Cersei was too cunning to use a knife that could be traced back to her, but Joff, arrogant vicious stupid little wretch that he was..."

Then...

Cersei: "Perhaps Myrcella sent this man with the dagger, do you think so?”

It was meant as mockery, but she’d cut right to the heart of it, Jaime saw at once. “Not Myrcella. Joffrey.”

JaimieTrkcrawf
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I really wish this thread was named "Valar Spoileris"
    rkcrawf
  • I hope Salladhor Saan comes back for the final season. Preferably rolling up with a badass pirate armada to help save the day.
  • I’ve so been looking forward to this season 3 rewatch. I needed some GoT in my life again and personally for me peak Bald Move is the Thrones pods. 
    Dnowelsh
  • Did the wagons of food reach King’s Landing?
    Jayland86
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Yes, but more importantly-- the Expanse Season 3 finale airs right after episode 12, and the song was 7-nations Army

Be sure to email baldmove if you feel like any of these details were missed.
    MrX
  • I love hearing that GoT music at the beginning of your podcast.  You guys cover this show very well.

I heard you guys talking about the 3-headed dragon theory again.  I was wondering that since Tyrion’s dragon (Viserion) was killed and turned into a wight, does that foreshadow Tyrion’s fate? /sad 
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    fyi, jorah was acting sketchy at the end bc he assumes that Barristan knows that he's been spying on Dany for Kings Landing 
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    lololol Jim was clearly making fun of book readers freaking out about the change from 'Only Cat" but Aron took it seriously.