People familiar with Colorado

Hey all, a group of 6 friends and myself are going on an extended weekend next weekend to Colorado.  We've got a place set to stay in Pine CO which is about an hour South West of Denver.  We've got a few things on the list to do and white water rafting already booked.  Our list includes Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, and Pikes Peak.  Looking for some other suggestions on things to do with a group of 7 that are all about 30ish in age.  Any suggestions would help.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I haven't been to Colorado in a really long time, but my family went there on vacation when i was in high school, and we went to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. I was 16 at the time, so I guess this was almost 30 years ago? But it was one of the coolest things I remember from Colorado. 
    letrbuck2006
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I haven't been to Colorado in a really long time, but my family went there on vacation when i was in high school, and we went to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. I was 16 at the time, so I guess this was almost 30 years ago? But it was one of the coolest things I remember from Colorado. 

I forgot I've been there until this moment. I think I was like 12...
    akritenbrinkletrbuck2006
  • Are you planning on coming to Denver or looking for more mountain / Colorado Springs activites?

It's really tough to beat a game at Coors Field even if you aren't huge baseball fans.  Great bars and breweries surrounding the ballpark for before or after the game if that is up your alley.
    2manyboogersletrbuck2006
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited July 7
    @MrX will lead you the way.. but he’s a red sox fan so consider yourself warned  :p
    letrbuck2006
  • 2manyboogers2manyboogers Colorado
    Great Sand Dunes National Park would be a cool place to check out if you don’t mind driving a bit (about 2.5 hours from the springs) camping, sledding, swimming during some times of the year(it’s also known for UFO sightings). Rocky Mountain National is a good place too if you’re not familiar with the mountains and just want to hike, though it’s about the same distance north, and Estes Park is pretty touristy.  If you want to stay in the Springs area, you can go to Manitou Springs proper. It’s just west of Garden of the Gods and is a nice little mountain town with good food and bars and an outdoor arcade, and the manitou incline has gorgeous views. The downside is everything but a few bars close early even on weekends. 
    roxbombersletrbuck2006
  • Wanted to second the views from the Manitou Incline. Absolutely amazing but holy hell what a climb. Especially if you are from sea level or close to. I’m in really good shape (regular cross-fitter, runner, etc.) and I was like, wow, ok, I could be done with this now. Don’t do this after lunch/beers.
    2manyboogersroxbombersletrbuck2006
  • My sister lives in Colorado, she says to visit a gator farm and a shop called Green World if any of you are looking for a good pot shop lol. 

She lives near Denver so I’m sure they are in that area. 
    roxbombersMattyWeavesletrbuck2006
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    My sister lives in Colorado, she says to visit a gator farm and a shop called Green World if any of you are looking for a good pot shop lol. 

Finally the real hero we need steps up with information we (I) have been waiting for.
    ChinaskiNervousRhino2manyboogersletrbuck2006akritenbrink
  • MrXMrX CO
    Staying in Pine you could do a day trip to Breckenridge. It's an awesome drive over 2  passes (Kenosha pass on hwy 285 and Hoosier Pass on hwy 9). And Breck has restaurants, breweries, etc., not a bad place to spend an afternoon.

Also if you guys are into hiking there are plenty of options all over. Hikingproject.com is a helpful website that let's you search for trails in a specific area and has difficulty rankings as well as reviews. Guanella Pass is also close to where you're staying and would let you do a high-altitude hike without having to gain all the elevation on your feet.

letrbuck2006
  • Thanks a ton for all the ideas.  We've definitely got no problem driving in to Denver so a baseball game is definitely a possibility.  I'm quite excited for driving up Pikes Peak as I guarantee I'll be the one driving.  My dad said that's been the most nervous he's ever been driving and we'll have all 7 of us friends in 1 minivan, 1 of which we've already had to convince that it's a good idea and another that we haven't really told much about it that would probably "nope" right out of the moving van if we have him the option.  That probably shows you what kind of friends we are lol.
    Thanks a ton for all the ideas.  We've definitely got no problem driving in to Denver so a baseball game is definitely a possibility.  I'm quite excited for driving up Pikes Peak as I guarantee I'll be the one driving.  My dad said that's been the most nervous he's ever been driving and we'll have all 7 of us friends in 1 minivan, 1 of which we've already had to convince that it's a good idea and another that we haven't really told much about it that would probably "nope" right out of the moving van if we have him the option.  That probably shows you what kind of friends we are lol.
    You can take a train to the top of Pike's Peak. We did that when I went there on a school trip. 
    My sister lives in Colorado, she says to visit a gator farm and a shop called Green World if any of you are looking for a good pot shop lol. 

Finally the real hero we need steps up with information we (I) have been waiting for.
    If it's anything like Washington, you will have no problem finding a pot shop. haha
  • Thanks a ton for all the ideas.  We've definitely got no problem driving in to Denver so a baseball game is definitely a possibility.  I'm quite excited for driving up Pikes Peak as I guarantee I'll be the one driving.  My dad said that's been the most nervous he's ever been driving and we'll have all 7 of us friends in 1 minivan, 1 of which we've already had to convince that it's a good idea and another that we haven't really told much about it that would probably "nope" right out of the moving van if we have him the option.  That probably shows you what kind of friends we are lol.
    You can take a train to the top of Pike's Peak. We did that when I went there on a school trip. 
    I really want to drive it just to see how nerve racking it really is but that's probably not a bad idea for our group because there's already a couple people that are skeptical about it to begin with and we're renting a minivan which will be fully loaded.  
  • MrXMrX CO
    Also keep an eye out for wildfires in the areas you're planning on traveling too, there are a lot burning in Colorado right now. And make sure to follow any local/county regulations on open burning, etc, it's been hot as balls and dry out here, doesn't take much to start a huge fire!

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc/current-wildfires

2manyboogers
    Thanks a ton for all the ideas.  We've definitely got no problem driving in to Denver so a baseball game is definitely a possibility.  I'm quite excited for driving up Pikes Peak as I guarantee I'll be the one driving.  My dad said that's been the most nervous he's ever been driving and we'll have all 7 of us friends in 1 minivan, 1 of which we've already had to convince that it's a good idea and another that we haven't really told much about it that would probably "nope" right out of the moving van if we have him the option.  That probably shows you what kind of friends we are lol.
    I really want to drive it just to see how nerve racking it really is but that's probably not a bad idea for our group because there's already a couple people that are skeptical about it to begin with and we're renting a minivan which will be fully loaded.  
    My memory might be fuzzy, but I feel like you can see more from the train than the road. But this was in like 1990 so... Maybe YouTube can show you.
  • MrX said:
    Also keep an eye out for wildfires in the areas you're planning on traveling too, there are a lot burning in Colorado right now. And make sure to follow any local/county regulations on open burning, etc, it's been hot as balls and dry out here, doesn't take much to start a huge fire!

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc/current-wildfires

We actually had to cancel our 1st air B&B because it was extremely close to a wildfire.  Luckily we were able to get a full refund and were able to get another one booked so it didn't disrupt our trip.  With as dry as it is out there, I don't think we'll be doing anything relating to fire at all. 

Don't want to be like the one teenager in Oregon that has now plead guilty to 12 misdemeanors and received 1920 hours of community service.  He lit firecrackers and through them over the edge of a cliff and they exploded on the ground and started a fire.
    MrX
  • i've heard Red Rock Amphitheater is something you have to experience. You can see if any good shows are there at that time if you like concerts.
    MrX
  • i've heard Red Rock Amphitheater is something you have to experience. You can see if any good shows are there at that time if you like concerts.
    If you're driving to Denver anyway you should definitely stop in to see Red Rocks - it's on the way from where you're staying. Even if you don't see a show you can just hike around, it's a really cool site to see.

rustywright4
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    MrX said:
    i've heard Red Rock Amphitheater is something you have to experience. You can see if any good shows are there at that time if you like concerts.
    If you're driving to Denver anyway you should definitely stop in to see Red Rocks - it's on the way from where you're staying. Even if you don't see a show you can just hike around, it's a really cool site to see.

Aaaaand another place I've been but forgot about, or didn't have a place to connect the memory to. This thread has been very enlightening. Ah, traveling when you're 8 or 12 or something...
  • edited July 10
    MrX said:
    i've heard Red Rock Amphitheater is something you have to experience. You can see if any good shows are there at that time if you like concerts.

We're flying in Thursday morning and checking out Red Rocks and the Coors Brewery before we head to the Air B&B.  We looked into the different shows they have and nothing really sparks any of our interest but we've gotta check out Red Rocks regardless.  Thanks for the great recommendations everyone.  Although I think some of you are trying to kill me recommending Manitou Incline.  We're all from Minnesota which is a 620ft above see level whereas Colorado is 6,800ft above sea level.  We're probably going to be dying to begin with then you all recommend arguably the toughest hike in Colorado.  I know everybody doesn't agree with my opinion all the time on here but I didn't realize you all wanted to get rid of me that bad ; )
    JaimieTrustywright4
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 10
    letrbuck2006 said:

Although I think some of you are trying to kill me recommending Manitou Incline.  We're all from Minnesota which is a 620ft above see level whereas Colorado is 6,800ft above sea level.  We're probably going to be dying to begin with then you all recommend arguably the toughest hike in Colorado.  I know everybody doesn't agree with my opinion all the time on here but I didn't realize you all wanted to get rid of me that bad ; )

haha yea I wouldn't have recommended the Incline - you can get a lot better views without having to hurt your lungs so much! plus it's basically like walking up a giant steep staircase for a mile - I prefer a nice quiet path through the woods, with some rewarding views. Plenty of those trails all over.
  • MrX said:
    letrbuck2006 said:

Although I think some of you are trying to kill me recommending Manitou Incline.  We're all from Minnesota which is a 620ft above see level whereas Colorado is 6,800ft above sea level.  We're probably going to be dying to begin with then you all recommend arguably the toughest hike in Colorado.  I know everybody doesn't agree with my opinion all the time on here but I didn't realize you all wanted to get rid of me that bad ; )

haha yea I wouldn't have recommended the Incline - you can get a lot better views without having to hurt your lungs so much! plus it's basically like walking up a giant steep staircase for a mile - I prefer a nice quiet path through the woods, with some rewarding views. Plenty of those trails all over.
    Thanks, we are all definitely novice hikers.  I'm glad you shared that website earlier because I'm sure we'll use that a decent amount.  I am in pretty good shape as I run on a pretty regular basis but there's a couple of people in our group that I would say might struggle a little more with some of the hiking, and I guarantee the higher altitude will make a huge difference.