Cell Phone Recommendations

AlexAlex Seattle
A.Ron asked for an Android phone recommendation on the Lunch podcast and l've been looking for one with the same criteria. Good to great battery life and minimal bloat ware. I just ordered the Moto e4 plus because of the 5000 mAh battery and $150 price, but it's still in the mail.  Any suggestions? 

Comments

• MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    edited July 8
    So I switched back in February from Apple to Android and after too much research I went with The Essential Phone.

First off, I love it. It got a ton of shit reviews when it came out last year, and there were some recent rumbles of the company being sold, but the phone is going to get updates for the next few years. And the people behind it are very into fixing everything they can.

As of now, it's second only to the Pixel in terms of updates. I got Oreo 8 beta in February and soon after the full Oreo almost before anyone else, again except the Pixels. My monthly security updates happens within the first few days of the month.

The number one biggest complaint was the camera. Well that's not a problem anymore because they put out ton of updates for it over the last six months.

They're about as "independent" as you can get in the world of cell phones, last I checked they often went on sale for near $400, and I think it's 100% worth it.
  • i work for verizon first off, so i know about the industry in general. i prefer apple but there are a couple great androids coming out including the (everyone knows) note 9... but also the red hydrogen one looks very cool with a holographic display. aside from that if you want something with a lot of add on options you can get the moto z force 2. cheaper options are ok but you get what you pay for. also if you buy your own cdma able device sprint is offering free unlimited until 6/19 if you port in from one of the majors
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks @Alex for starting the thread. 5000mAh!  That's twice the size of the pixel, that's sounding niiice. The only con I see is using the shitty old micro-USB connectors. It will be hard to go back from USB-C. 

It's too bad the Zen Phone 3 Zoom doesn't work on Verizon, because it looks like my dream phone. I also like the looks of the Huawaei Mate 10 Pro, but it's pretty big, and it's expensive. I don't really want another $800+ phone. If I was going that route, I'd probably go Pixel 2 XL. I liked the Pixel even though I never was satisfied with the battery life. My wife has the XL and hasn't ever had a problem with it. The Pixel is acting wonky now after it's been upgraded.

@MattyWeaves, yeah, I don't know. I looked that one up and it looked promising, but it only has a 3000mAh battery, yeah? I don't know if that will cut it for me. It's only 200mAh bigger than the pixel, and I always thought that battery was just barely okay even when it was new.

Does anyone have a Lenovo P2?  It's battery looks bonkers, over 5000mAh, and I can get one for $180...  I'm also thinking of replacing the battery on my Pixel and just waiting for next year and see what comes out.
    Or a Moto G6 Play? That one also looks very interesting and inexpensive.
  • edited July 8
    Razer has a $700 phone that is 4000mAh, minimal bloatware to: https://www.razer.com/mobile/razer-phone

120 Hz UltraMotion™ screen
    Featuring Dolby Atmos and THX certified audio
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with 8GB RAM
    12MP dual cameras for complete versatility
    4,000 mAh battery for all-day power
    Processor
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 Mobile Platform
    System Memory
    8GB dual channel (LPDDR4, 1866 MHz)
    Storage
    Internal: 64GB UFS
    External: microSD (class 10, 2TB max.)
    Display
    5.7-inch IGZO LCD 1440 x 2560
    120 Hz, Wide Color Gamut (WCG)
    Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Rear Cameras
    12MP AF f1.75 Wide
    12MP AF f2.6 Zoom
    Dual PDAF
    Dual tone, dual LED flash
    Front Camera
    8MP FF f2.0
    Sound
    Stereo Front-facing speakers
    Dual Amplifiers
    Audio Adapter with THX certified DAC
    Power
    4000 mAh lithium-ion battery
    Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4+
    Wireless
    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    Bluetooth 4.2
    NFC
    Bands
    GSM: Quad-band GSM UMTS: B1/2/3/4/5/8
    LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66
    TDD LTE: B38/39/40/41 TD-SCDMA: B34/39
  • edited July 8
    The Huawaei Mate 10 Pro is nice as well but if you don't want to spend money its understandable, I've heard good things about Huawaei on performance side also has minimal bloutware but there was that "scare" about it being a Chinese company and them spying on US citizens
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    @A_Ron_Hubbard The battery is on the smaller side true, but a full charge lasts into the night, if not more under normal usage, podcasts, audible, reddit app, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Plus it's got the quick charge thing so the percentage goes back up pretty quick. I haven't had it under 20% yet.

I was thisclose to going with a Moto, but everything I've read (in February) says they aren't getting better as the company pumps them out. And apparently updates are far and few between. 

As @akritenbrink said, the LG V series is top rated but was out of my price range, but it was definitely an option.

I finally came to the unfortunate realization that sacrificing something is almost a given with cell phones now. 

Just to mention, my wife has and loves her Blackberry Keyone, it has a really good battery but it all depends if you like a physical key too. My fingers are too big for it, but the Keyone 2 should be out this year with better keys.
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    About Huawei: I had a Nexus 6P and had MAJOR battery issues, similar to @A_Ron_Hubbard 's issues with his Pixel. I'm on Google Project Fi, and have been since before the launch of the Pixel, so the 6P was essentially my only real choice. As a phone it was great, but it was prone to overheating and, again, the battery was trash; it crapped out in less than a year. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    I have a Moto X4, battery life is great, it's an Android One phone so it has stock Android and gets updates from the mothership in a timely manner, has USB C, headphone jack, and micro SD. Also I think it looks pretty nice and was relatively cheap. Only thing I don't like is the camera has been a step down from my previous phone (Nexus 5X) and would be a downgrade from a Pixel camera as well. The photos are ok, but if you're not shooting in good lighting the clarity isn't great.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    All this talk about batteries and so I wonder if anyone has tried using an extended battery case.  I used one on one of my past phones with a less than desirable battery life and I liked it. Basically it charged when my phone charged and the extended battery would be used 1st before it switched over to the phone’s actual battery.  Made the phone a little longer by a centimeter, and a wee heavier but not enough to complain.  
    JaimieT
  • edited July 9
    I personally have the original Pixel and will be upgrading to the Pixel 3 whenever that ends up coming out.  I have never been an Apple user, I just can't do it but I used to be a Samsung user.  I had the S4 and S6 and then upgraded to the Pixel and I won't go back to Samsung after having the Pixel.  It's so smooth and not having whatever user interface overlaid on the android system really makes the biggest difference in my opinion.  Plus going Pixel you will get all updates as soon as they are available.  
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    I have the current Google Pixel 2 XL.  Not had issues with battery - the AI in that regard is getting pretty good.  Charge once a day but honestly I'm normally above 30% anyway even though I work in tech and get a crap tonne of e-mail and use my phone a lot.  I still carry my powerbank thing but I can't remember the last time I used it.

Don't think I'd ever get a non-Pixel phone from now on.  Can't afford to get it every year, but this has been the best phone I've ever had hands-down (the camera is just incredible) and it's hard to argue with free unlimited storage forever.
    letrbuck2006
  • MrXMrX CO
    I have the current Google Pixel 2 XL.  Not had issues with battery - the AI in that regard is getting pretty good.  Charge once a day but honestly I'm normally above 30% anyway even though I work in tech and get a crap tonne of e-mail and use my phone a lot.  I still carry my powerbank thing but I can't remember the last time I used it.

Don't think I'd ever get a non-Pixel phone from now on.  Can't afford to get it every year, but this has been the best phone I've ever had hands-down (the camera is just incredible) and it's hard to argue with free unlimited storage forever.

Yea I'm probably going to pony up for a Pixel next year, a good camera is key.
  • edited July 9
    MrX said:

Depends how up to date you want with your phone but you can get a Pixel 2 pretty dang cheap right now.  I debated it but I'm willing to wait and pay more for the new technology that they'll be putting in the new one.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    MrX said:

Depends how up to date you want with your phone but you can get a Pixel 2 pretty dang cheap right now.  I debated it but I'm willing to wait and pay more for the latest and greatest.

Where do you go to buy those? Ebay?
  • JaimieT said:
    MrX said:

Depends how up to date you want with your phone but you can get a Pixel 2 pretty dang cheap right now.  I debated it but I'm willing to wait and pay more for the latest and greatest.

Where do you go to buy those? Ebay?
    I was talking right through the carrier.  My mom needed a new phone and I had her go into Best Buy and I think she got it for like $18 a month or so instead of $27 for 24 months.  So essentially she's paying $430 instead of $650 but I'm willing to bet the prices go down even more in the next few months with the new one coming out they'll want to sell out of their current inventories.
    JaimieT
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 10
    Im iphone X all the way. And no I don’t buy a new phone every year. 2-3 years for each phone at least. Got lucky that X came out and I was still riding with the 6+ So I was able to upgrade cheaply. 

As Aron mentioned in the lunch Apples real value lies in its ecosystem. I have all my media on iTunes and have Apple TV so it’s seamless across all my devices and I like having a single library. Also when you purchase something in ITunes you get access to all of the types of movies that get released. So all my movies were upgraded for free to 4K when Apple launched it which was Super cool. iCloud is awesome. Being able to sync all your phones to iCloud and then take pictures and then just get uploaded to the cloud and you never have to worry about them is sweet. Time saving and protecting. Also you have access to all your photos from iCloud on your phone so you can view all of your photos whenever. 

The parental features are awesome. My kid can’t download anything without my permission from my phone so I can check everything he’s downloading. 

The the camera is siiiick. Not the best on the market but I don’t know how much more beautiful you can get before we’re talking like 8K quality or something crazier

Finally I’m just so used to IOS and it’s simplicty that I don’t think I want to go to android or anything else. Yea IOS is a bit more walled but it doesn’t bother me. 
    Chinaskiasmallcat
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I'm getting ready to make the jump from IOS to Android myself.  Rumor has it the Pixel 3 will be announced in October and most likely released within the same month.  It just so happens that my current iphone (7+) will be paid off in October.  If I really like the Pixel 3, I'm gonna get that.  Otherwise I will probably get a nice discount on the Pixel 2!  Either way, I'm going with the XL model.
  • Hatorian said:
    Im iphone X all the way. And no I don’t buy a new phone every year. 2-3 years for each phone at least. Got lucky that X came out and I was still riding with the 6+ So I was able to upgrade cheaply. 

As Aron mentioned in the lunch Apples real value lies in its ecosystem. I have all my media on iTunes and have Apple TV so it’s seamless across all my devices and I like having a single library. Also when you purchase something in ITunes you get access to all of the types of movies that get released. So all my movies were upgraded for free to 4K when Apple launched it which was Super cool. iCloud is awesome. Being able to sync all your phones to iCloud and then take pictures and then just get uploaded to the cloud and you never have to worry about them is sweet. Time saving and protecting. Also you have access to all your photos from iCloud on your phone so you can view all of your photos whenever. 

The parental features are awesome. My kid can’t download anything without my permission from my phone so I can check everything he’s downloading. 

The the camera is siiiick. Not the best on the market but I don’t know how much more beautiful you can get before we’re talking like 8K quality or something crazier

Finally I’m just so used to IOS and it’s simplicty that I don’t think I want to go to android or anything else. Yea IOS is a bit more walled but it doesn’t bother me. 
    But if you're already in the Google ecosystem, switching to Apple's would be a pain, same as the opposite situation. Google is pretty much on par with Android ecosystem from what I've seen. You just log into your google account on your new phone and everything is synced up.

Photo backup works very well also - and has the added benefit of being cross-platform. We have a Google Photo album of my kid that my wife can add to from her iPhone and I can from my Android phone, and we can share w/ grandparents, who have a mix of both platforms - if we used iPhotos no such luck. Personally I use Roku for our tv streaming needs, so that wouldn't work well if I was buying/renting media through iTunes. It does play nice with Google and Amazon, which is where we typically get stuff from.

My wife did have a backup fail w/ iCloud when she put her iPhone through the laundry. We had thought it was all syncing autmatically but discovered when she went to restore she was missing a bunch of contacts and important notes because of something she had done wrong in setting it up, so it was a huge pain re-creating that. From my experience Google's backup system is easier and more foolproof. Plus we had to buy more storage for my wife's iCloud account to make sure everything was getting backed up - never been an issue w/ Google.

JaimieTHatorianChinaski
    edited July 11
    Yea. I got in Apple on the 3. So pretty early. And it’s just made sense to continue. I’m no Apple die hard. There’s definitely a lot of awesome phones out there. And for cheaper. I’m just saying I love my Apple ecosystem and they definitely did a smart thing in how they captured their customers. A lot of them will be customers for life as they continue to add to their media. 

PS not trying to convince anyone to change. Just saying why I really like Apple and willing to pay the premium price. 
    MrX
    MrX said:
    Hatorian said:

But if you're already in the Google ecosystem, switching to Apple's would be a pain, same as the opposite situation. Google is pretty much on par with Android ecosystem from what I've seen. You just log into your google account on your new phone and everything is synced up.

Photo backup works very well also - and has the added benefit of being cross-platform. We have a Google Photo album of my kid that my wife can add to from her iPhone and I can from my Android phone, and we can share w/ grandparents, who have a mix of both platforms - if we used iPhotos no such luck. Personally I use Roku for our tv streaming needs, so that wouldn't work well if I was buying/renting media through iTunes. It does play nice with Google and Amazon, which is where we typically get stuff from.

My wife did have a backup fail w/ iCloud when she put her iPhone through the laundry. We had thought it was all syncing autmatically but discovered when she went to restore she was missing a bunch of contacts and important notes because of something she had done wrong in setting it up, so it was a huge pain re-creating that. From my experience Google's backup system is easier and more foolproof. Plus we had to buy more storage for my wife's iCloud account to make sure everything was getting backed up - never been an issue w/ Google.

good points. things like photos and parental control are available across all types of phones. backup fails on iphone suck. but lets not act like every phone is perfect and doesnt have issues.  ive talked to android users who have had shit with their phone fuck up. its just technology. apple has service stores almost everywhere. And even though the warranty only covers 1 year they are really good about taking care of their loyal customers. not sure how many times i cracked a screen on my ipad/phone, my beats fucked up or a battery died outside of warranty/coverage and I asked them to fix it for free cuz of my spend with them and they did it for free. I have spent $0 on fixes. Meanwhile Samsung wanted to charge my 2000 to fix my TV which was still under warranty but the particular problem was not. i bought an LG the next day. 
    MrX
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I know this is a droid thread, but I'm apple X too. Battery wise, I charge my phone for about an hour every three days. and I use the crap out of my phone. It is the hub for all my computers and devices. I'll give you a con tho, it's face recognition is finicky.
    Yeah, I'd almost consider switching to apple just because why not, but man, I am firmly entrenched in the Google sphere. Bald Move's life blood is Google Apps, and it's super nice to just put in my email address, password, and 2FA challenge and my new phone magically inherits everything.

I think my current plan is to limp along until Pixel XL 3 comes out and then get the Pixel XL 2 at 50% off unless something really impressive comes along. Like, Moto E5 with USB-C!  
    russkellyJaimieT
  • MrX said:
    Hatorian said:

I use google for most stuff and have an iphone. I use Chrome for iPhone and gmail through the base mail app, and it all works pretty well. Autofill PW's, etc. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I use Google for everything on my iPhone 6+, which is pushing 4 years old now.  I've never been particularly impressed by Apple's services, certainly not iTunes.