31 shows that went to shit (according to Buzzfeed readers)

DeeDee Adelaide
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/tv-shows-people-once-loved-but-now-cant-stand?utm_term=.bozXpRPJ3G#.bozXpRPJ3G

What do you think about this list? I totally agree with Nashville and Heroes - damn, I loved both of those the first couple of seasons, but they really fell apart. 

Any others you would add? I would say Weeds - the first three seasons were great, but once they left Majestic it just got dumber and dumber. 
JaimieTJoshuaHeterMattyWeavesDummyakritenbrink

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I adored Heroes, but the last 4 episodes of season 1 felt shoddy, and I only got 2 episodes into season 2 before I quit.

Sex and the City began on this great premise that it proceeded to completely undermine in the latter half. I ended up hate watching it to completion. 

I think Downton Abbey became melodrama after season 1.

Speaking of Downton Abbey, Anne With an E gives me those vibes. Melodramatic, overly aware of its anachronisms to modern life. I'm laughing my way through season 2. It's so bad. But still kind of interesting in its audacity.

Sherlock is another one for me. It became its own slash fiction, with that wedding episode, but it was sloppy before that.
    JoshuaHeterDeeTravis
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited July 8
    This will be controversial, but I would add “The Office” (American).

”To shit” is probably a little strong, but seasons 1 - 3 (and maybe 4) were this cute little mockumentary about the goings-on of an office, and they found fairly natural ways to weave in plots about the personal lives of the characters. Michael and Dwight were ridiculous in their way, but nothing truly zany happened. 

In contrast, the final few seasons turn the show into almost a parody of itself. It’s still funny here and there, but it doesn’t reach the heights of story telling or comedy from where the show started.
    JaimieTChinaskiMichelleDee
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Riverdale really started going downhill once Har Har Riverdale ended.
    JoshuaHeterChinaskiTravis
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    Y'know, I never watched Nashville. I think it probably would've just annoyed me. I'm shocked that the first season or two are even considered "good" or "enjoyable" because I just assumed the whole thing was basic trash. That being said, I'm the most non-Nashville native Nashvillian in Nashville, so maybe the show wasn't meant for me in the first place.

I find it hard to disagree with most things on that list, including Westworld. The only reason I'm coming back for season 3 is because of J&A. If they weren't covering it, I'd be off it. They can shut the fuck up about Parks & Rec though; that show was consistently "good", I thought, the whole time.

The only show I can think of off the top of my head that I'd add to that list is Californication. It started off pretty strong with the characters and interesting storytelling but it became apparent around Season 2 or 3 that the show was pretty directionless. 

ChinaskiDeerustywright4
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @Dee 1,000,000% agree about Weeds. I loved that show and then it just kinda.....meh.

@JoshuaHeter If you would have said The Office "went to shit" after Michael left, I would have been totally with you. I loved all seasons but that, to me, was when the show really lost a lot of its momentum.

Dexter for me was also a big one. I loved the hell out of that show but after the John Lithgow/ Trinity Killer season.....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ooookooffffffff! So boring!
    JoshuaHeterChinaskiDeerustywright4
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    This list is invalid and I consider it trash. They had me, and then they added Parks and Rec.

I had to close the window, complain about it on the internet, and finish typing this.

Good day.
    WarpFoxCretanBullMurderbearChinaskiDummyDeephoenyx1023ShumBelleMarciand 3 others.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 8
    1st show that immediately came to mind was Heroes haha. Glad to see a consensus there. That show went from super fun to total bullshit so quick. 

Dexter should definitely be there.  Greys Anatomy....ok I’m a dude but I’ll admit - I went from razzing my wife for watching it to “don’t watch it without me!” to “I’m done with this show” after the plane crash.

Homeland should be on the list. GoT shouldn’t. 

MattyWeavesJaimieTChinaskiDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @Dee 1,000,000% agree about Weeds. I loved that show and then it just kinda.....meh.

@JoshuaHeter If you would have said The Office "went to shit" after Michael left, I would have been totally with you. I loved all seasons but that, to me, was when the show really lost a lot of its momentum.

Dexter for me was also a big one. I loved the hell out of that show but after the John Lithgow/ Trinity Killer season.....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ooookooffffffff! So boring!
    i agree with all of this! esp Weeds and Dexter (after S4 it was a complete mess). friggin Showtime and their ability to start off shows with potential then panic write n go to shit. throw Californiacation on that list.
    DeeEine FrauMurderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I was scrolling through the list thinking "How To Get Away With Murder" should be on it, and then lo and behold. This past season, with all of Laurel's drama, was a big turnoff.

I'd remove "Friends".  I honestly think it was solid from start to finish, even during the Joey/Rachel thing.  I do agree that "The Office" should be on this list. Once Michael left, the show went to crap.

ChinaskiDee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    This will be controversial, but I would add “The Office” (American).

”To shit” is probably a little strong, but seasons 1 - 3 (and maybe 4) were this cute little mockumentary about the goings-on of an office, and they found fairly natural ways to weave in plots about the personal lives of the characters. Michael and Dwight were ridiculous in their way, but nothing truly zany happened. 

In contrast, the final few seasons turn the show into almost a parody of itself. It’s still funny here and there, but it doesn’t reach the heights of story telling or comedy from where the show started.
    I think most people would agree with that - they should have ended it when Michael Scott left. 
    MichelleJoshuaHeterNervousRhinoMurderbear
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    WarpFox said:
    Y'know, I never watched Nashville. I think it probably would've just annoyed me. I'm shocked that the first season or two are even considered "good" or "enjoyable" because I just assumed the whole thing was basic trash. That being said, I'm the most non-Nashville native Nashvillian in Nashville, so maybe the show wasn't meant for me in the first place.

I find it hard to disagree with most things on that list, including Westworld. The only reason I'm coming back for season 3 is because of J&A. If they weren't covering it, I'd be off it. They can shut the fuck up about Parks & Rec though; that show was consistently "good", I thought, the whole time.

The only show I can think of off the top of my head that I'd add to that list is Californication. It started off pretty strong with the characters and interesting storytelling but it became apparent around Season 2 or 3 that the show was pretty directionless. 

Well, it was always a glitzy soap so it was never going to be on anyone’s best ever lists or anything, but it was elevated by Connie Britton and Hayden Panatierre, and some excellent music, but then T Bone Burnett left and the music dropped in quality, and the soapiness became more and more ridiculous. Then they killed off Connie Britton and I was done. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide

This list is invalid and I consider it trash. They had me, and then they added Parks and Rec.

I had to close the window, complain about it on the internet, and finish typing this.

Good day.
    Yeah, I vehemently disagree about P&R - but consider the source. Some knuckleheads were bound to get through. 
    MattyWeavesBelleTravis
  • Wait they have GoT, but don’t have The Flash....such a list to get clicks :/ 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    iZombie.  Two perfect seasons, then...wait, what?!
  • WarpFox said:

I remember really liking Californication up to the last season or so. 

Speaking of Nashville when I visited I kinda laughed when I saw the AT&T building that looks like it should have the Eye of Sauron at the top:

voodoorat
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    How I met your mother
    Sons of Anarchy
    Walking Dead

DeedavemcbNervousRhino
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    The X-Files 

I remember liking Ally McBeal at some point... and then not.
    DeeKingKobraElisaTravisvoodoorat
  • The X-Files 

I remember liking Ally McBeal at some point... and then not.
    Was going to come back and add X-Files to the list. After season 5 it kind of went down hill. 
    i feel a little ashamed that i cared about Entourage at one point. 
    JoshuaHeterDee
    can i go movies n say Iron Man and Spider-Man (tobey maguire)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited July 9
    Chinaski said:
    Yeah, you should be, mate. 

MichelleChinaskiBelle
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    Yeah, you should be, mate. 

my crush for Mandy Moore evolved cause of it. that's gotta mean something :/
    Dee
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I don't know how Homeland didn't make this list, it is posterchild for making a single season show and could have been the best show in recent times if it ended the way it was meant to and was only 1 season. 
    I also thought 13 reasons why would have been a strong show if it was just one season. This is the same as Top of the Lake, S2 was completely unnecessary and would have been better not having been made. 

How many other shows should have been a single season run like The Night Of not anthology seasons like Fargo or American Horror Story

Dexter to the mid part of Season 5 was great from that point calling it a dumpster fire would be offensive to dumpster fires. Plus the ending of the series was a punch to the privates when all the people watching knew how it should have ended. 
    ChinaskiDeeElisaphoenyx1023rustywright4CodyHarris821
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @davemcb I think Broadchurch and The Fall could have both done without a second season too - they were perfect little standalone stories. 
    Elisaphoenyx1023davemcb
  • Podcast - Serial 
    ghm3Doctor_NickMurderbearBelle
  • KingKobra said:
    Wait they have GoT, but don’t have The Flash....such a list to get clicks :/ 
    They mentioned the reasons why GOT is bad is because the books are better.  The books will never be better until we can get a finished series.
    Belle
  • You would think the problem was old American TV finding something people like and then milking it dry until you can't even recognize it. I always admired the British series that had two six episode seasons and that was it. Looking at the list it is surprising how much new stuff is on it. The state TV is now they could do short run impactful shows but that's not the case. Look at all the Marvel stuff on Netflix that has 6-8 episodes of plot and they dilute it into too many long drawn out boring episodes.
  • I can't believe Lost hasn't been mentioned yet! On the list, and definitely deservedly so. 
    ghm3
  • asmallcat said:
    I can't believe Lost hasn't been mentioned yet!
    NooooOOOOOOO!
    *diving in slow motion*
    Michellephoenyx1023Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    asmallcat said:
    I can't believe Lost hasn't been mentioned yet! On the list, and definitely deservedly so. 
    Oh lord, it’s going to be like saying Candyman three times in front of a mirror.
    KingKobraMichellephoenyx1023