Sharp Objects Ep. 1 - "Vanish"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writer: Marti Noxon

Since this is a miniseries, we will be covering this in the Bald Move TV feed in lieu of making a separate feed for it.
DeerkcrawfMichelleKingKobraduncanpowers

Comments

• Anybody else have their anxiety activated in the opening sequence with the two girls running with their backpacks open?
    A_Ron_HubbardMichelleAlexGeorgeEine Frausaraej319rustywright4alyssaputnamJessMorr27stevenduran1240
  • I choose to believe that every piece of furniture in the doll house was made by Lester Freeman. 
    A_Ron_HubbardgroovydooleyrkcrawfDoctor_NickKingKobraAlexGeorgeEine FrauFreddyroscoeand 1 other.
  • I like it!
    DummygroovydooleyMichelle
  • I'm really digging this episode. The editing and directing style is keeping me engaged, even though I'm pretty unsure about the plot. The dark character puzzle pieces being peppered throughout is really keeping my interest, and the reveal of her body at the end was very creepy. Can't wait to see where this goes. 
    Michelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That was quality hour of television. I am intrigued. I'm feeling myself more willing than usual to go down whatever rabbit hole they want me to because it's only 8 episodes and they HAVE to give me answers.

Wind Gap reminds me so much of the rural towns I grew up in and around. They really nail the look and feel.
    DummygroovydooleyMichelleMarcijtmy92stevenduran1240
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited July 9
    Well, that was certainly intriguing.

I noticed the freeway sign on the way out of St. Louis had an interesting message on it, as did the CD player in Camille’s car.  Lots of subtle details to process in this first episode.
    groovydooleyEine Frau
  • I'm outraged the half sister's name is "Amma."   What kind of trust fund shit is that?
    alyssaputnamrkcrawf
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Before he passed away in Jessica Jones?  That was sad.  I cried.  At least Lieutenant Daniels has made good since transferring to the LAPD in Bosch.

Dummy said:
    I choose to believe that every piece of furniture in the doll house was made by Lester Freeman. 

• Before he passed away in Jessica Jones?  That was sad.  I cried.  At least Lieutenant Daniels has made good since transferring to the LAPD in Bosch.

Dummy said:
    I choose to believe that every piece of furniture in the doll house was made by Lester Freeman. 

Well I guess I don’t have to watch that now ;) 

————--

enjoyed the 1st episode. We again have an unreliable narrator at the head of our story. This seems to be a popular one at HBO. I’m not complaining and sometimes I kind of like it. In for the fulll ride. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I really enjoyed this, but I'm doing a rewatch - there's so much mystery that I feel like I may have missed some things the first time around.  I feel like they've introduced these side characters in such a way that we're supposed to think that any one of them could be involved - Camille's mom, for sure (just my initial feeling) - but also Alan, Jackie, the chief, Ann's father.  It's all a question mark right now and I'm looking forward to next week's ep.  Oh last thing, how is Camille not falling down drunk like all the time???
  • Michelle said:
    I really enjoyed this, but I'm doing a rewatch - there's so much mystery that I feel like I may have missed some things the first time around.  I feel like they've introduced these side characters in such a way that we're supposed to think that any one of them could be involved - Camille's mom, for sure (just my initial feeling) - but also Alan, Jackie, the chief, Ann's father.  It's all a question mark right now and I'm looking forward to next week's ep.  Oh last thing, how is Camille not falling down drunk like all the time???
    She’s drinking to stay “normal”, not to get drunk. This was highlighted by the interview scene where she was shaking then said “not for long” when she started to drink. I’d say Camille may be a suspect, just because she’s blacking out and doesn’t really have a hold of her reality (hallucinations, etc). 
    JaimieT
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    This show has *by far* the best soundtrack of any TV show I can think of.
    UnderwoodJessMorr27
    KingKobra said:
    She’s drinking to stay “normal”, not to get drunk.
    I get that, but she drinks a *lot*.  There's no way I'd be sober.
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    Which character is a ghost? This seems like the kind of show that is going to pull a Six Sense plot twist at some point. My money is on the maid.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited July 9
    Anybody else have their anxiety activated in the opening sequence with the two girls running with their backpacks open?
    My anxiety was triggered when I started seeing messages scratched on things like the small painting in the dollhouse, that disappeared the next shot.

The last shot of the episode was confirmation that I wasn’t bugging.

Really want to watch this again and see if there are any more hints of foreshadowing scattered about.
    groovydooley
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    Ajas said:
    Yeah, digging the Zeppelin for sure. This is an honest to god question, but I wonder if we'll find out why she carries an iPod Touch in addition to her phone. I'm thinking there has to be some Chekov's iPod thing going on, since she tries to "answer" it when her phone is ringing.
  • WarpFox said:
    Ajas said:
    Yeah, digging the Zeppelin for sure. This is an honest to god question, but I wonder if we'll find out why she carries an iPod Touch in addition to her phone. I'm thinking there has to be some Chekov's iPod thing going on, since she tries to "answer" it when her phone is ringing.
    I’ve used my old IPhone 6 for “iPod” duty for a long time. Doesn’t seem that odd to me, especially if the iPod (which looks to have been through some ish) has some emotional value. 
  • I guess I would need to know how long she has been drinking like this because it felt a bit heavy handed and if she at 40 had been drinking like that for 19 years oh man I think her health would appear much more deteriorated than it was. I assume she is like 14 around 1992 - Bush v Clinton signs and this is supposed to be modern day so 14 yo in 1992 would put her at 40. Also I assume the drinking is pretty closely associated with her sister's death so she has probably been using alcohol for a long time so just the heavy handedness with which they showed her drinking took me a little out of it but not to much. For the most part I loved how it was shot and edited and am excited to see where it goes.
    ghm3
    George said:
    Anybody else have their anxiety activated in the opening sequence with the two girls running with their backpacks open?
    My anxiety was triggered when I started seeing messages scratched on things like the small painting in the dollhouse, that disappeared the next shot.

Really want to watch this again and see if there are any more hints of foreshadowing scattered about.
    When she was preparing to leave her apartment for Wind Gap and was taking some things off of her desk, there was a quick flash of some carving into her desk.  It only lasted for a second, but I wish someone would screenshot it.
    George
  • Michelle said:
    George said:

When she was preparing to leave her apartment for Wind Gap and was taking some things off of her desk, there was a quick flash of some carving into her desk.  It only lasted for a second, but I wish someone would screenshot it.
    I’m sure someone on Reddit has. 
    Michelle
  • Sharp Objects is my favorite Gillian Flynn novel. So far, I'm LOVING the casting. Amy Adams bring Camille to life so well! Excited to see more!
  • MrXMrX CO
    ncat said:
    I guess I would need to know how long she has been drinking like this because it felt a bit heavy handed and if she at 40 had been drinking like that for 19 years oh man I think her health would appear much more deteriorated than it was. I assume she is like 14 around 1992 - Bush v Clinton signs and this is supposed to be modern day so 14 yo in 1992 would put her at 40. Also I assume the drinking is pretty closely associated with her sister's death so she has probably been using alcohol for a long time so just the heavy handedness with which they showed her drinking took me a little out of it but not to much. For the most part I loved how it was shot and edited and am excited to see where it goes.
    My take was that something has happened to her more recently that may have triggered her current volume of drinking. Her editor talking about her getting "back on her feet." And whatever is going on with the 2nd phone w/ the cracked screen seems significant.
    Michelle
  • MrX said:
    My take was that something has happened to her more recently that may have triggered her current volume of drinking. Her editor talking about her getting "back on her feet." And whatever is going on with the 2nd phone w/ the cracked screen seems significant.
    That is a good point.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm not going to be commenting much because I don't want my book knowledge to cloud my opinions, but I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying everyone's takes!
    MrXKingKobraA_Ron_HubbardgroovydooleyGeorgeGan
  • amyja89 said:
    I'm not going to be commenting much because I don't want my book knowledge to cloud my opinions, but I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying everyone's takes!
    Yo could always start a thread for book readers, that way you could discuss without worry of spoiling others who haven’t read or don’t want to know. Not sure how many there are, but I know there are a “few” folks who don’t care about spoilers, so a separate thread may help everyone that has read discuss. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    KingKobra said:
    amyja89 said:
    Yo could always start a thread for book readers, that way you could discuss without worry of spoiling others who haven’t read or don’t want to know. Not sure how many there are, but I know there are a “few” folks who don’t care about spoilers, so a separate thread may help everyone that has read discuss. 
    I guess I'll just comment on the episode and avoid theorising! Just caught up with ep 1, liked it a lot. I was wondering how they would make Camille's scars look good without being too stupid, because reading that kind of description on the page makes you think of some sort of monster! I think they succeeded. 
    George
  • amyja89 said:
    KingKobra said:
    amyja89 said:
    I guess I'll just comment on the episode and avoid theorising! Just caught up with ep 1, liked it a lot. I was wondering how they would make Camille's scars look good without being too stupid, because reading that kind of description on the page makes you think of some sort of monster! I think they succeeded. 
    See I gave you a perfect chance to start a thread called “A Mildly Interesting thread about Sharp Objects” (Spoilers inside) :p 
    amyja89A_Ron_HubbardMichelleduncanpowersDoubleA_Ronrkcrawf
  • Have we met the women she sees in the bathroom mirror at the motel? I'm bad with faces, I did not recognize Amma from earlier at all.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Are we supposed to understand that the scene where her sister went into seizure is when she died, or is that merely to say-- her sister is prone to seizures? 
    rkcrawf
    @Ajas  I believe that's when she died.
    KingKobra