Sharp Objects Ep. 1 - "Vanish"

2

Comments

  • Michelle said:
    @Ajas  I believe that's when she died.
    Agreed 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Have we met the women she sees in the bathroom mirror at the motel? I'm bad with faces, I did not recognize Amma from earlier at all.
    I didn’t screenshot it or anything but I assumed it was a younger version of herself, older than the short haired version, perhaps her as an older teen.
  • There was also a shot of the freeway exit sign that said something to the extent of “last chance to turn back now”. 
    DoubleA_RonGeorgeMurderbear
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, that was some gripping television. As someone who has struggled with the drinking thing, Amy Adams is about the best-looking alcoholic I've seen. That did take me out of it a bit, to be honest. People that drink that much look like death. But maybe as someone else mentioned that it is a more recent thing. Though the quantity that she was pounding makes me think its more of a long-standing struggle. 

    I really love Patricia Clarkson, but god she was insufferable here. Every scene that takes place at her family's house was just so uncomfortable. It makes me wonder why she even checked out of the motel to stay with her mom. I'd gladly stay in that motel over dealing with that stuff. 

    I also got a weird vibe from her editor. It seems like something has happened recently with her and he is trying to help her get her act together. But she doesn't seem like someone who would open up easily to people, much less her boss. Then there is that odd moment where he is told by his wife (I think?) that he isn't Doctor Phil. Why would she be there listening to his conversation with her?

    Overall I really loved it, but damn that was grim. And it looks like its only going to get worse. A really great meditation on grief and trauma. Also, Westworld should take note, this episode was able to tell a story with an unreliable narrator, flashbacks, secrets, visions, and have it still be as intriguing as hell, while not frustrating its audience. 
    George
  • This was even better on a 2nd watch. Love how the director uses doors opening and closing as flashback transitions, and how Camille experiences them almost like Dolores would in Season 1 of Westworld, like she’s just reliving them in that moment. 

    He really used it to good effect to trick me into believing that when Camille so the skate crew in the alley for the first time that it was also a flashback. When she walks up on them for the first time I was like “Woah!” Those skates feel out of place, but it made for a nice mini-twist.
    Michellegroovydooley
  • Ohh man, it's hard to describe how pumped I was when I saw that Jim and Aron are covering this show. Really enjoyed the first episode and Amy Adams is slowly working her way up there with my favorite actresses. 
    Michelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    WarpFox said:
    Ajas said:
    This show has *by far* the best soundtrack of any TV show I can think of.
    Yeah, digging the Zeppelin for sure. This is an honest to god question, but I wonder if we'll find out why she carries an iPod Touch in addition to her phone. I'm thinking there has to be some Chekov's iPod thing going on, since she tries to "answer" it when her phone is ringing.

    Probably for the scene later when they need her listening to music then unable to phone anyone.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I think the stepfather is on the sociopath scale, if not a full out sociopath. It's just a prediction, because the only things I'm basing this on is (1) he was doing a lot of hiding in plain sight, making me suspect he plays a bigger role, (2) who the fuck blasts music when their stepdaughter goes to bed upstairs and they haven't seen her in a while?
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • This was a fantastic opening. I was lowkey interested in this show if a bit hesitant because it sounded super depressing to me, and I think it was even more depressing than I was even expecting, but despite that it was extremely captivating, think in no small part to the great editing. 

    I'm figuring the second phone is a former friend or SO's that's left or died, and was perhaps damaged in the act, and she's listening to their music collection (the phone actually looks normal in the first shot of it on the bed but I chalk that up to a gaffe, it's totally shattered in the scene where she gets starts the road trip).

    And also why she's fallen off the wagon (I didn't get the impression the the alcoholism was new, but she couldn't have been drinking like that for 20 years). Hell her parents are an absolute nightmare, they're reason enough to have started drinking...
  • I usually hate throwing out wild speculation but was anyone else getting weird vibes from the Amy Adam's step-sister? For some reason I felt a lot of similarities between the step-sister here and Rosamund Pike's character from Fincher's Gone Girl
    majjam0770
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I usually hate throwing out wild speculation but was anyone else getting weird vibes from the Amy Adam's step-sister? For some reason I felt a lot of similarities between the step-sister here and Rosamund Pike's character from Fincher's Gone Girl

    I will be baffled if she's not a narcissist like her mother... everything seems to be right there. And yeah, RP's character was a psychopath/narcissist.
  • The sister had a hospital bed in her room, so she was clearly known to be sick.  Whether the scene we saw was her death, I'm not sure.

    Ajas said:
    Are we supposed to understand that the scene where her sister went into seizure is when she died, or is that merely to say-- her sister is prone to seizures? 

  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just listened to the podcast and I had a different take on the chronology of Camille’s childhood/teenhood scenes. ARon had a moment where he seemed to think that her flirtatious hide and seek game with the boys was before some of the scenes with her sister, but I tend to think her longer hair in that scene suggested an older teenager version of herself, especially with the cheerleader outfit. Almost as if that initial meeting with the boy when she was swimming in the lake sparked an interest, and then when her sister died and she had no one to turn to, she started exploring and experimenting with the boys as a form of distraction and just natural adolescence.
    Ajas
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    amyja89 said:
    Just listened to the podcast and I had a different take on the chronology of Camille’s childhood/teenhood scenes. ARon had a moment where he seemed to think that her flirtatious hide and seek game with the boys was before some of the scenes with her sister, but I tend to think her longer hair in that scene suggested an older teenager version of herself, especially with the cheerleader outfit. Almost as if that initial meeting with the boy when she was swimming in the lake sparked an interest, and then when her sister died and she had no one to turn to, she started exploring and experimenting with the boys as a form of distraction and just natural adolescence.

    That's what I thought too. She looked older. Oy, book reader, now I'm curious why you either don't seem to have these answers or you're pretending not to know? Maybe you've forgotten this small stuff...
    amyja89
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    JaimieT said:
    amyja89 said:
    Just listened to the podcast and I had a different take on the chronology of Camille’s childhood/teenhood scenes. ARon had a moment where he seemed to think that her flirtatious hide and seek game with the boys was before some of the scenes with her sister, but I tend to think her longer hair in that scene suggested an older teenager version of herself, especially with the cheerleader outfit. Almost as if that initial meeting with the boy when she was swimming in the lake sparked an interest, and then when her sister died and she had no one to turn to, she started exploring and experimenting with the boys as a form of distraction and just natural adolescence.

    That's what I thought too. She looked older. Oy, book reader, now I'm curious why you either don't seem to have these answers or you're pretending not to know? Maybe you've forgotten this small stuff...
    Oy, TV peasant, a lot of these little snippets and extra background bits are show creations. ;-P
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    amyja89 said:
    JaimieT said:
    amyja89 said:
    Just listened to the podcast and I had a different take on the chronology of Camille’s childhood/teenhood scenes. ARon had a moment where he seemed to think that her flirtatious hide and seek game with the boys was before some of the scenes with her sister, but I tend to think her longer hair in that scene suggested an older teenager version of herself, especially with the cheerleader outfit. Almost as if that initial meeting with the boy when she was swimming in the lake sparked an interest, and then when her sister died and she had no one to turn to, she started exploring and experimenting with the boys as a form of distraction and just natural adolescence.

    That's what I thought too. She looked older. Oy, book reader, now I'm curious why you either don't seem to have these answers or you're pretending not to know? Maybe you've forgotten this small stuff...
    Oy, TV peasant, a lot of these little snippets and extra background bits are show creations. ;-P

    Oh, interesting. 
  • The sister had a hospital bed in her room, so she was clearly known to be sick.  Whether the scene we saw was her death, I'm not sure.

    Ajas said:
    Are we supposed to understand that the scene where her sister went into seizure is when she died, or is that merely to say-- her sister is prone to seizures? 


    Also in the flashback of Camille and her sister, the sister is talking about dying and being able to come back as a ghost to watch over Camille and her mother - I think she knew she was sick and knew she would die
    Doctor_Nick
  • Re: A gay bar in Wind Gap, Missouri.

    I didn’t really take it as it being a gay bar, just that it was originally owned by a gay couple.
    phoenyx1023JaimieTrkcrawf
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    My one hope for this show is that Camille remains a victim and isn't the person behind any of these crimes. I'm fine if she has done her own fucked up shit, but I'll be annoyed if she plays a big role in the main mystery.

    Thoughts after the podcast:

    • Aron mentioned the police officer being a red herring suspect. I think so, and I also think that of the father of the murder victim. To me, he just read as an emotionally abusive bigot.
    • I do think the bartender was the same person that pointed the gun at Child Camille, because when I saw that scene I thought we'd be meeting him in present day, they made such a big deal of them looking at each other. I also suspect that whole sequence with Child Camille in the water and discovering the cabin was an economic scene that also misleads a little, ergo doing double duty for the storyteller (possibly). Because we saw the kids in the woods, our brains are inclined to think the kids are associated with the cabin Camille looked at. So my theory is they're not associated.
    • I have a hunch the detective will be the reliable narrator that takes over when Camille becomes unreliable. It doesn't need to be that explicit — maybe he just finishes what she cannot.
    • The mother said she hadn't talked to her daughter in months, IIRC. Camille's boss said a few things to imply Camille had had recent issues. All the comments in this thread about alcoholics has made me think this severe level of alcoholism is recent too. So I think what Camille's boss is "Dr. Phil-ing" is trying to get the mother and daughter reunited from a misunderstanding of what Camille's problem is actually about.
    • I really have no idea why Camille would want to stay a few nights with her mother, unless she's still trauma bonded. If she only recently stopped talking to her mother, I can see her using her professional life as an excuse to do something she subconsciously is comfortable with — basically acting out what her boss thought she would a la Dr. Phil. Because God knows I've had a few therapists try to get me to give my dad a second chance, thinking that that was the problem. And for a while I did try that.
    • Good catch from Aron/Jim about the lady Camille initially spoke with, the one who said the detective was hot and was "helping" with the search. I'd forgotten about her, but I think she will have a bigger role. I wonder if she sexually/emotionally abused Camille. There, that's my craziest theory, based on her superficial care about her appearance (she'll put on fake eyelashes but won't lose weight), based on what she said about the detective being hot, based on her talking about Camille's dating life, and based on Camille's familiarity with her. They seemed to have a rapport and they really shouldn't, considering their age. Maybe she was Camille's schoolteacher or something, but usually that sort of thing is brought up in conversation because there's no relationship outside of it.
    • I love the fucking creepy thing about the mother pulling out her eyelashes. If that's what that was. Another form of self-harm, and for some reason it makes me more squick than cutting.

    Not enough information about Camille's sister or the scars for me to have any thoughts about that.
    telephoneofmadness
  • Clearly, I'm going to need a rewatch. I noticed the hidden words a few times, but didn't pick up on a lot of the detail. 
  • Amma is my prime suspect. Haven’t read the books. Something about her commenting on Camille’s beauty reminded me of the whole case of the Slenderman and the two girls that murdered their friend. 

     On 2nd watch of first episode now. There’s a whole bunch of words written in the scars, I think. 
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    rkcrawf said:
    Amma is my prime suspect. Haven’t read the books. Something about her commenting on Camille’s beauty reminded me of the whole case of the Slenderman and the two girls that murdered their friend

     On 2nd watch of first episode now. There’s a whole bunch of words written in the scars, I think. 

    Oh Jesus that's a creepy association with this.
  • @JaimieT it is. I could be, and would be fine if I’m wrong. I kind of hope I am. But listening to the “Sharper Objects” cast and then realizing that the typical suspects would be a white male (according to Mindhunter). On the cast, the guys bring up possibilities of atypical suspects that wouldn’t necessarily have a sexual interest in the victims. Obv don’t know enough about Amma at this point, but I certainly would not rule out a teenage girl from a dysfunctional family. 

    Camille’s dad should have a mint julep at all times. 
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    The "Last Chance to Turn Back" sign was funny to me because that sign actually says Last Missouri Exit. In real life, she'd be crossing the river into Illinois, but anyway... I thought this episode was really good. That bedroom interview scene was really intense. Almost had to stop watching for a minute.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    rkcrawf said:
    Amma is my prime suspect. Haven’t read the books. Something about her commenting on Camille’s beauty reminded me of the whole case of the Slenderman and the two girls that murdered their friend. 

     On 2nd watch of first episode now. There’s a whole bunch of words written in the scars, I think. 
    Every single one of the scars is a word. 
  • Wasn’t planning on watching this show until I heard the guys were going to cover it. Glad I checked it out, found the first episode to be very intriguing. 

    Side note it was cool to see a couple actors from one of my fav movies when I was high school, Clear and Present Danger. 
  • amyja89 said:
    rkcrawf said:
    Amma is my prime suspect. Haven’t read the books. Something about her commenting on Camille’s beauty reminded me of the whole case of the Slenderman and the two girls that murdered their friend. 

     On 2nd watch of first episode now. There’s a whole bunch of words written in the scars, I think. 
    Every single one of the scars is a word. 
    My eyes weren't that good, and after Westworld, I don't have the patience to freeze-frame stuff. I believe I caught "men" written somewhere. Good to know I wasn't seeing things.
    amyja89
  • Wow, this was True Detective season 1 level good. I feel like I'd need to painstakingly rewatch this episode to catch more of the stuff that was happening in the background, but even without those details it was excellent.

    Note to Westworld creators: this is how you interweave multiple timelines.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Wow, this was True Detective season 1 level good. I feel like I'd need to painstakingly rewatch this episode to catch more of the stuff that was happening in the background, but even without those details it was excellent.

    Note to Westworld creators: this is how you interweave multiple timelines.
    You took the words right out of my mouth on all of those points. I am not going to rewatch yet just because I want to let the show was over me and not really obsess over details...yet. I'll get there, I just don't want to ruin things for myself by deep diving too hard. 
  • JaimieT said:
    I usually hate throwing out wild speculation but was anyone else getting weird vibes from the Amy Adam's step-sister? For some reason I felt a lot of similarities between the step-sister here and Rosamund Pike's character from Fincher's Gone Girl

    I will be baffled if she's not a narcissist like her mother... everything seems to be right there. And yeah, RP's character was a psychopath/narcissist.
    Amma was very creepy, definitely something wrong there. She meets her long-lost sister and doesn't bother to introduce herself? Okay.
    JaimieT
This discussion has been closed.