Sharp Objects Ep. 1 - "Vanish"

13»

Comments

• Anyone else have trouble hearing Amy Adams at times during the episode or do I just need my ears cleaned out?

Seems like an intriguing show, I’m glad Bald Move is covering it and I appreciate ARon’s take since he grew up in a similar town.
  • Wow, this was True Detective season 1 level good. I feel like I'd need to painstakingly rewatch this episode to catch more of the stuff that was happening in the background, but even without those details it was excellent.

Note to Westworld creators: this is how you interweave multiple timelines.
    You took the words right out of my mouth on all of those points. I am not going to rewatch yet just because I want to let the show was over me and not really obsess over details...yet. I'll get there, I just don't want to ruin things for myself by deep diving too hard. 
    I'll definitely be avoiding Reddit, Google, etc.. from now on. I was looking for a synopsis of the show and I think I read the same article that A.Ron mentioned in the podcast. Something was mentioned in the article that I'm pretty sure was not made explicit in the first episode. Hopefully it isn't a major spoiler, but it scared me.

Also, I typed "Game of Thrones" into Google recently and instantly got a giant season 8 spoiler in the news articles at the top of the page. WTH is wrong with people?
  • Dnowelsh said:
    Anyone else have trouble hearing Amy Adams at times during the episode or do I just need my ears cleaned out?
    There is mumbling. I had to use subs in a couple of places.
    rkcrawf
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Wow, this was True Detective season 1 level good. I feel like I'd need to painstakingly rewatch this episode to catch more of the stuff that was happening in the background, but even without those details it was excellent.

Note to Westworld creators: this is how you interweave multiple timelines.
    You took the words right out of my mouth on all of those points. I am not going to rewatch yet just because I want to let the show was over me and not really obsess over details...yet. I'll get there, I just don't want to ruin things for myself by deep diving too hard. 
    I'll definitely be avoiding Reddit, Google, etc.. from now on. I was looking for a synopsis of the show and I think I read the same article that A.Ron mentioned in the podcast. Something was mentioned in the article that I'm pretty sure was not made explicit in the first episode. Hopefully it isn't a major spoiler, but it scared me.

Also, I typed "Game of Thrones" into Google recently and instantly got a giant season 8 spoiler in the news articles at the top of the page. WTH is wrong with people?
    I have haven't listened to the BM coverage yet...would you recommend not doing that? I will listen at some point, I just find these mystery shows can ruin things for me. Not intentionally, don't get me wrong. Its just the course of conversation and dissecting things. 
  • I'll definitely be avoiding Reddit, Google, etc.. from now on. I was looking for a synopsis of the show and I think I read the same article that A.Ron mentioned in the podcast. Something was mentioned in the article that I'm pretty sure was not made explicit in the first episode. Hopefully it isn't a major spoiler, but it scared me.

I have haven't listened to the BM coverage yet...would you recommend not doing that? I will listen at some point, I just find these mystery shows can ruin things for me. Not intentionally, don't get me wrong. Its just the course of conversation and dissecting things. 
    I don't think there are any spoilers or intense theorizing in the podcast, so there probably isn't a risk of the show being ruined.

I don't think there are any spoilers or intense theorizing in the podcast, so there probably isn't a risk of the show being ruined.
    Great, thanks!
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 2018
    I just rewatched along with a friend, her first time watching. It struck me this time around just how dimmed and shaded Camille's mother's face is for the majority of her scenes, almost as if the show makers want to portray her as this kind of negative, looming presence in Camille's life rather than a character in her own right. I get that a lot of the scenes between than use physical distance to demonstrate the emotional distance between them, but most of the key scenes with Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson have Clarkson's face almost hiding from the camera thanks to lighting and focus. An interesting choice, especially if you take the words and signs littered around the place as being part of Camille's thought process and psyche, it's almost as if they are showing us that she is trying to block her mother out.
    JaimieTDnowelsh
  • Was no one weirded out by the girl in white from nowhere on the couch when Patricia Clarkson was walking away from the bedroom? She wasn't there, then she was there. I had to rewind and watch again because it happens so fast.
    Is she the same girl from the mirror?

If this is addressed in episode 2 then I apologize as I haven't watched that yet. Haha
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    gdogsl said:
    Was no one weirded out by the girl in white from nowhere on the couch when Patricia Clarkson was walking away from the bedroom? She wasn't there, then she was there. I had to rewind and watch again because it happens so fast.

If this is addressed in episode 2 then I apologize as I haven't watched that yet. Haha
    I interpreted that as just another of the inserted vision type frames, of her dead sister. I’m pretty sure the girl in the mirror when Camille looked was just an older version of herself.
    gdogsl said:
    Was no one weirded out by the girl in white from nowhere on the couch when Patricia Clarkson was walking away from the bedroom? She wasn't there, then she was there. I had to rewind and watch again because it happens so fast.

That freaked me out. It happened so quickly where it wasn't something I was even sure I saw what I thought I saw. Super effective! After her sister was introduced later on, I wondered if it was her sister who was just hanging around being nosey, but I think the girl in white was too young, and Clarkson didn't react to her being there at all, so I've landed on the creepy, vision side of things. 
  • I’m just watching the first 4 episodes today and I noticed something in the first episode that nobody has said anything about yet. When the body of girl is discovered in the window, Camille was talking to those girls and to Natalie’s brother right? Then she runs over to see the body and the girls follow behind. Where did the brother go? You think a guy who’s sister is missing might be curious why people are screaming/crying/rushing. I kept expecting him to show up and see the horrible state of his sister but he didn’t. Maybe I just need to watch this scene again...
  • I’m just watching the first 4 episodes today and I noticed something in the first episode that nobody has said anything about yet. When the body of girl is discovered in the window, Camille was talking to those girls and to Natalie’s brother right? Then she runs over to see the body and the girls follow behind. Where did the brother go? You think a guy who’s sister is missing might be curious why people are screaming/crying/rushing. I kept expecting him to show up and see the horrible state of his sister but he didn’t. Maybe I just need to watch this scene again...
    He runs away; in episode 4 there's a quick revisit of this scene you can see him in the background running off. I think it's simultaneously reasonable to find suspicious and understandable that he'd infer from the screams that it's his sister found dead, and is running away to avoid the exposure.
  • Yeah he could've just guessed and ran, but if it was my sister who was missing, I think I would have to go see for myself. I just assumed someone would stop him before he got too close, but was super surprised he didn't at least try to see.
    ghm3
This discussion has been closed.