Summer (Camp) Movies

Somewhat randomly, these last couple days, I watched Earnest Goes to Camp for the hundredth time and Meatballs for the first.  Sadly, Earnest doesn't hold up as well as I remember it, and it's a bit too slow-paced to even be a good kids movie.  Also, sorry, I know people love Meatballs but I thought it was pretty overrated [and uncomfortably rapey in that 70's way that's supposed to be funny].

Anyway, it obviously got me thinking about those summer camp movies that are so easy to trigger our nostalgia, even if we've never been to summer camp, and I have a two-parter if anyone feels like discussing it: what are your favorite summer camp movies and/or have you ever had a movie-worthy experience at a summer camp (or, like me, were your limited experiences there way more mundane)?

unrelated image
Deecdrive
«1

Comments

  • Wet Hot American Summer! Such great cast.

    Be sure to check out the making of documentary "Hurricane of Fun" as well, it's on Netflix.


    Deeken haleTravisJovial_Falcon
  • Camp Nowhere. Its pretty cheesy watching it as an adult but definitely brings back some of those summer nights. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    What’s the Meatballs one with the alien? I like that one - it has a stupidity that appeals to me. And if the one with Patrick Dempsey is a different one then I like that one too. 

    We don’t have summer camp in Australia so I never experienced it. I did spend a few summers at my uncle and aunt’s caravan on the coast with various cousins and other holiday makers’ children, and that was always fun, but nothing structured with activities and camp counsellors - I feel deprived for missing out on that. 
  • Wet Hot American Summer is fantastic, and I definitely liked Camp Nowhere in my childhood.  I think How'd This Get Made talked about that one.  What'd you think of the Wet Hot prequel and sequel series? 

    That's funny it seems like I actually did have more summer camp types experiences than some.  I went to Boy Scout camp a few times and church camp once.  Did all the ra-ra team competition bullshit at both and the semi-structured days and everything.  I guess they were good experiences that I was somewhat privileged to experience and should be more grateful for, but it was never anything like the pranks and nonsense in movies.  Just sleeping in a tent that smelled like dirty feet for a week, lol.
  • edited July 2018
    Dee said:
    What’s the Meatballs one with the alien? I like that one - it has a stupidity that appeals to me. And if the one with Patrick Dempsey is a different one then I like that one too. 

    We don’t have summer camp in Australia so I never experienced it. I did spend a few summers at my uncle and aunt’s caravan on the coast with various cousins and other holiday makers’ children, and that was always fun, but nothing structured with activities and camp counsellors - I feel deprived for missing out on that. 
    The second one, it seems.  They went to the alien-well very quickly!


    I'm just gonna direct you here, because reading this earlier made my eyes glaze over but it's actually what made me watch Meatballs yesterday, so here we are full circle.  With aliens, apparently.


    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @ken hale Oh wow, lol - I would have thought the alien one was a 5th or 6th instalment! 
  • The Burning, super schlocky slasher featuring a young Jason Alexander.

  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    friday the 13th 1-4
    Frakkin TTravis
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Best summer camp of all time has to be in Addams Family Values!
    MattyWeavesjohnnytruanthisdudeness915ken haleHatorian
  • edited July 2018
    ken hale said:
    Somewhat randomly, these last couple days, I watched Earnest Goes to Camp for the hundredth time and Meatballs for the first.  Sadly, Earnest doesn't hold up as well as I remember it, and it's a bit too slow-paced to even be a good kids movie.  Also, sorry, I know people love Meatballs but I thought it was pretty overrated [and uncomfortably rapey in that 70's way that's supposed to be funny].

    Anyway, it obviously got me thinking about those summer camp movies that are so easy to trigger our nostalgia, even if we've never been to summer camp, and I have a two-parter if anyone feels like discussing it: what are your favorite summer camp movies and/or have you ever had a movie-worthy experience at a summer camp (or, like me, were your limited experiences there way more mundane)?

    unrelated image
    That is definitely not an unrelated image.  That is Ben Stiller from the movie Heavyweights which is 100% a Summer Camp movie.  Definitely the first Summer Camp movie I think of.  Which Ben Stiller in this movie is such a great asshole of a person.  Reminds me of his role in Happy Gilmore except instead of being a complete asshole to the elderly he's a complete asshole to overweight kids.
    ken hale
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Everything I would normally suggest has been mentioned with the exception of Moonrise Kingdom.

    Not a typical 'summer camp' movie but close.
    ken hale
  • ken hale said:
    Wet Hot American Summer is fantastic, and I definitely liked Camp Nowhere in my childhood.  I think How'd This Get Made talked about that one.  What'd you think of the Wet Hot prequel and sequel series? 

    That's funny it seems like I actually did have more summer camp types experiences than some.  I went to Boy Scout camp a few times and church camp once.  Did all the ra-ra team competition bullshit at both and the semi-structured days and everything.  I guess they were good experiences that I was somewhat privileged to experience and should be more grateful for, but it was never anything like the pranks and nonsense in movies.  Just sleeping in a tent that smelled like dirty feet for a week, lol.
    Wet Hot American Summer definitely for me. It's actually my all time favorite comedy, regardless of theme. 

    As for the prequels, I thought they were really fun. Not nearly as good as the movie, but still definitely worth watching if you're into the movie. Great collection of talent and a lot of laughs.
  • ken hale said:

    unrelated image
    That is definitely not an unrelated image.  That is Ben Stiller from the movie Heavyweights which is 100% a Summer Camp movie.  Definitely the first Summer Camp movie I think of.  Which Ben Stiller in this movie is such a great asshole of a person.  Reminds me of his role in Happy Gilmore except instead of being a complete asshole to the elderly he's a complete asshole to overweight kids.
    Haha, 100%!  I just didn't mention it because it wasn't among those I watched recently, but it might be the funniest family comedy on this list. I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned it sooner.  Ben Stiller pretty much overshadows everything else in that movie, comedically, but the whole cast really pulls their weight, too, and the drama bits work pretty well.

    Incidentally, why is the word comedically flagged by the spellcheck? That's a real word, right?
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    There's a movie called The Final Girls, starring Taissa Farmiga. It's a comedy about a girl whose mother was an 80s scream queen and one day she and her friends find themselves inside her mom's slasher flick. It's a love letter to those movies but it's also hellishly funny with a kernel of sweetness mixed in. Definitely worth a watch.


    ChinaskiMattyWeaves
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Ahh super fun thread idea @ken hale

    I’ll go Top 5:

    1) Wet Hot American Summer, natch
    2) Meatballs
    3) Heavyweights, “I’M FEELING SKINNY, TONY!”
    4) Poison Ivy
    5) Parent Trap (the original) 
    ken haleJoshuaHeter
  • cdrive said:
    Ahh super fun thread idea @ken hale

    I’ll go Top 5:

    1) Wet Hot American Summer, natch
    2) Meatballs
    3) Heavyweights, “I’M FEELING SKINNY, TONY!”
    4) Poison Ivy
    5) Parent Trap (the original) 

    Haha when I read Poison Ivy I first thought of that other Poison Ivy movie and was like "wait was that about summer camp? I just remember middle school me having a crush on Drew Barrymore." 


    Chinaskiken haleFrakkin T
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Frakkin T said:
    There's a movie called The Final Girls, starring Taissa Farmiga. It's a comedy about a girl whose mother was an 80s scream queen and one day she and her friends find themselves inside her mom's slasher flick. It's a love letter to those movies but it's also hellishly funny with a kernel of sweetness mixed in. Definitely worth a watch.


    I can't believe I forgot this. It was amazing and the perfect summer horror camp movie. I probably need to watch it again this year.
    Frakkin T
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited July 2018
    MrX said:
    cdrive said:
    Ahh super fun thread idea @ken hale

    I’ll go Top 5:

    1) Wet Hot American Summer, natch
    2) Meatballs
    3) Heavyweights, “I’M FEELING SKINNY, TONY!”
    4) Poison Ivy
    5) Parent Trap (the original) 

    Haha when I read Poison Ivy I first thought of that other Poison Ivy movie and was like "wait was that about summer camp? I just remember middle school me having a crush on Drew Barrymore." 


    hahah i thought the same thing, but my mind went to Poison Ivy 2 with Alyssa Milano.
  • The Burning, super schlocky slasher featuring a young Jason Alexander.

    You had me at young Jason Alexander. I never knew such a thing existed.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    not Summer Camp, but the first movie I ever watched in the theater.. Summer School!


    DeeFrakkin TMattyWeavesken hale
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm just gonna throw it wayyyyy back here...



  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Chinaski said:
    not Summer Camp, but the first movie I ever watched in the theater.. Summer School!


    fuck yes, mate, good pick
    ken hale
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2018
    The answer is "Ernest Goes to Camp". Also, in case any of you are thinking about starting a "Best Prison Movie" or "Best Halloween Movie" thread, let me save you some time:

    ken hale
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2018
    Little Darlings 1980 
    Kristy McNichol
    Tatum ONeal
    Matt Dillon

    speaking of Dillon. Not a camp movie but a movie about a summer resort. A coming of age story The Flamingo Kid 1984

    Are all camp movies like coming of age stories, unless it is a slasher flick. Camp is summer summer is change.
    Like American Graffiti, the last summer before adulthood. I hate to throw this cheese in but Dirty Dancing. Well I was just thinkin.
    MichelleDee
  • ken hale said:
    ken hale said:

    unrelated image
    That is definitely not an unrelated image.  That is Ben Stiller from the movie Heavyweights which is 100% a Summer Camp movie.  Definitely the first Summer Camp movie I think of.  Which Ben Stiller in this movie is such a great asshole of a person.  Reminds me of his role in Happy Gilmore except instead of being a complete asshole to the elderly he's a complete asshole to overweight kids.
    Haha, 100%!  I just didn't mention it because it wasn't among those I watched recently, but it might be the funniest family comedy on this list. I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned it sooner.  Ben Stiller pretty much overshadows everything else in that movie, comedically, but the whole cast really pulls their weight, too, and the drama bits work pretty well.

    Incidentally, why is the word comedically flagged by the spellcheck? That's a real word, right?
    I would have loved to go to someplace that had something like the blob from Heavyweights.  Looks like it'd be so much fun.
    ken hale
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    What’s the Meatballs one with the alien? I like that one - it has a stupidity that appeals to me. And if the one with Patrick Dempsey is a different one then I like that one too. 

    We don’t have summer camp in Australia so I never experienced it. I did spend a few summers at my uncle and aunt’s caravan on the coast with various cousins and other holiday makers’ children, and that was always fun, but nothing structured with activities and camp counsellors - I feel deprived for missing out on that. 
    Not everyone here goes to summer camp either. It costs money and even if we had money (which we didn't) IDK where one even was that we could have gone to. The only camp I knew of was Girl Scout Camp but ours was not an overnight thing.
    same here, i never went to summer camp (but i did my fair share of time in summer school). i'm curious to who here went to summer camp? and if so, was it as cool as they made it seem in some of the movies mentioned?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I went to a week-long camp with my 6th grade class once.  It wasn't a 'summer camp' per se, but we stayed at a Scouts camp about 30 miles away from where we lived.  The girls had their own bunks, the boys their own, and there was a giant 'mess hall' with a kitchen and tables.  We did things like arts & crafts, played games, swam, etc.  I never did attend summer camp at all.
Sign In or Register to comment.