Rome
    In Treatment
    Big Love
    The Defiant Ones
    Extras
    Hung
    Arliss

They've done some great stuff.
    I don't disagree that this is a good list, but it's not that extensive of a list when you consider that HBO's been making original programming since the early 80's.  Netflix has only been doing it for about 5 1/2 years, and their list of good stuff is nearly as long, although I concede that their highs haven't yet hit quite the same high as HBO, at least with dramas.

People just overlook how much HBO misses.  You listed 40 shows going back about 20 years.  I won't be so obnoxious as to list them but, trust me, you can find 40 HBO productions in that same time span that either sucked, were forgotten, or were never even noticed.

I'm also just gonna say it's a bit funny that everybody talking about how HBO is like the Cadillac (I mean...Lexus) of original programming conveniently fail to mention all the trash they make like Taxicab Confessions, lol.

• https://www.slideshare.net/TheMotleyFool/how-netflix-plans-to-become-hbo-45757226/2-Our_goal_is_to_become

I thought this was interesting.  Some economic comparison from 2015, but the quote from the Netflix CEO in 2013 is enlightening: "Our goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."  In the last five years, Netflix has undeniably done this.  HBO hasn't.  They've latched onto Amazon Prime for 8.99 a month and released the HBONow app, so they're finally making some money on digital subscribers, but are they making ENOUGH to offset the cable subscriptions that will inevitably decline?  Is selling their shows to overseas channels to be aired for free as lucrative as selling international customers a subscription service?  And what else have they changed?  They're still producing just enough content to fit a yearly 24-hour tv schedule, and the calendar has become an absolutely meaningless concept when people are streaming content on demand.  They still haven't grasped binge-watching, as if Netflix has a patent on it or something.  I don't even know why it's shocking or controversial...the writing's been on the wall (or the internet, as analysts have, for the last three years, at least, consistently been saying that HBO needs to expand content to compete with Netflix).
  • ken hale said:
    https://www.slideshare.net/TheMotleyFool/how-netflix-plans-to-become-hbo-45757226/2-Our_goal_is_to_become

I thought this was interesting.  Some economic comparison from 2015, but the quote from the Netflix CEO in 2013 is enlightening: "Our goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."  In the last five years, Netflix has undeniably done this.  HBO hasn't.  They've latched onto Amazon Prime for 8.99 a month and released the HBONow app, so they're finally making some money on digital subscribers, but are they making ENOUGH to offset the cable subscriptions that will inevitably decline?  Is selling their shows to overseas channels to be aired for free as lucrative as selling international customers a subscription service?  And what else have they changed?  They're still producing just enough content to fit a yearly 24-hour tv schedule, and the calendar has become an absolutely meaningless concept when people are streaming content on demand.  They still haven't grasped binge-watching, as if Netflix has a patent on it or something.  I don't even know why it's shocking or controversial...the writing's been on the wall (or the internet, as analysts have, for the last three years, at least, consistently been saying that HBO needs to expand content to compete with Netflix).
    You seem to be buying into the loaded statement that HBO is, or should be, trying to become Netflix. It's certainly true in the sense of distribution, but I would argue it's not at all true for content. Also it was obvious even in 2013 that HBO would need to go online, and it's true that doing this took them longer than for Netflix to generate a lot of original content, but I think most would agree it's a lot easier to simply greenlight a shitload of shows than it is to pivot your whole distribution to a new platform. 
  • Okay, okay, okay... my two cents, even though it doesn’t matter but I’ve been listening to the podcast and wanting to chime in about why I think HBO will be fine/remain on too long term. 

I watch HBO more than I watch Netflix. Why? Because I’m a repeater. I watch my favorite series over and over again. I’m just finishing GoT for the fifth time.  This spring I rewatched SaTC. This fall/winter I’ll probably do Six Feet Under and the Sopranos. 

They have SO. MANY. GOOD. SHOWS. And more are coming. I think people like to rewatch well made classics just as much as they like to watch new content. So while Netflix is churning out new content at a higher rate, it’s not as well done as HBO series usually are.

Netflix has a higher volume but cheaper productions. HBO is lower volume but better productions. It’s a luxury brand, essentially. 

Anyways... 
  • amhatch said:
    Okay, okay, okay... my two cents, even though it doesn’t matter but I’ve been listening to the podcast and wanting to chime in about why I think HBO will be fine/remain on too long term. 

I watch HBO more than I watch Netflix. Why? Because I’m a repeater. I watch my favorite series over and over again. I’m just finishing GoT for the fifth time.  This spring I rewatched SaTC. This fall/winter I’ll probably do Six Feet Under and the Sopranos. 

They have SO. MANY. GOOD. SHOWS. And more are coming. I think people like to rewatch well made classics just as much as they like to watch new content. So while Netflix is churning out new content at a higher rate, it’s not as well done as HBO series usually are.

Netflix has a higher volume but cheaper productions. HBO is lower volume but better productions. It’s a luxury brand, essentially. 

Anyways... 
    I agree with your logic completely here.  Basically from my understanding what AT&T is trying to convey is that they want to turn HBO into a more Netflix like service and that's what all the backlash is about.  Personally I think that's a horrible idea and I don't like it but we don't really have any say in the matter.  I'd rather HBO be left a premium network that doesn't produce as much content but keeps with their higher than average quality of work that they've done.
  • I guess the crux of my argument is that when HBO doesn't have a weekly going that I "need" to keep up with, I cancel my HBONOW subscription.  Right now I can drop it for the months of Aug thru April or whenever GoT returns and save about $120, so I will.  The only content I'll "miss" during that time will be Sharp Objects, The Deuce, Big Little Lies (maybe), and Succession, which I'm losing interest in anyway.  The others I can catch up on in a weekend when I get the subscription back. I doubt I'm the only person who does this.  In contrast, I'd never drop Netflix.  This is what they have to compete with.
  • edited July 2018
    I don't know, I'm kind of over Netflix.  I'll certainly tune in for top notch content (e.g. Stranger Things) and I'll partake in a documentary every now and then but I'm so sick of trying to wade through the ocean of shit that is currently on Netflix.  Honestly, most of the time I spend 30 minutes trying to find something decent to watch and then just give up.  Even my kids don't tune into Netflix anymore (which was the primary reason we signed up years ago).  Now, they just watch YouTube.

Most of the time I cycle between Amazon (which I feel has a higher percentage of quality content than Netflix) and HBONOW.  I understand the business decision to try and compete/keep up with Netflix but it will be a shame if HBO is transformed into a watered down shell of its former self.
    Giovannighm3
  • ken hale said:
    I guess the crux of my argument is that when HBO doesn't have a weekly going that I "need" to keep up with, I cancel my HBONOW subscription.  Right now I can drop it for the months of Aug thru April or whenever GoT returns and save about $120, so I will.  The only content I'll "miss" during that time will be Sharp Objects, The Deuce, Big Little Lies (maybe), and Succession, which I'm losing interest in anyway.  The others I can catch up on in a weekend when I get the subscription back. I doubt I'm the only person who does this.  In contrast, I'd never drop Netflix.  This is what they have to compete with.
    I think the stuff on Netflix is more junk now than ever. For the first time in like 10 years I'm actually considering canceling. In contrast I've probably watched a great deal more HBO. I prefer quality, over wading through a sea of stuff that shouldn't have gotten made. 

Just my opinion. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    The Department of Justice says it is appealing the court ruling that paved the way for AT&T’s merger with Time Warner - AP

https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/justice-department-appeal-att-time-warner-decision-1202872023/

• I will pray to any god that ends the merger. Gauntlet thrown, Xenu. 
  • Giovanni said:
    ken hale said:
    I guess the crux of my argument is that when HBO doesn't have a weekly going that I "need" to keep up with, I cancel my HBONOW subscription.  Right now I can drop it for the months of Aug thru April or whenever GoT returns and save about $120, so I will.  The only content I'll "miss" during that time will be Sharp Objects, The Deuce, Big Little Lies (maybe), and Succession, which I'm losing interest in anyway.  The others I can catch up on in a weekend when I get the subscription back. I doubt I'm the only person who does this.  In contrast, I'd never drop Netflix.  This is what they have to compete with.
    I think the stuff on Netflix is more junk now than ever. For the first time in like 10 years I'm actually considering canceling. In contrast I've probably watched a great deal more HBO. I prefer quality, over wading through a sea of stuff that shouldn't have gotten made. 

Just my opinion. 
    My strategy with Netflix is this. Once Stranger Things comes out. I will purchase Netflix for one month, watch Stranger Things and then catch up on all of the other series i was interested in and then cancel it. Basically I pay $12 a year for all of the Netflix originals i want to watch. only thing is i cant watch real time and may get spoiled or cant partake in discussion. 
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    If this means HBO green lights literally every idea for a Game of Thrones spin off, then I change my mind and I am fine with it. Let's have the Blackfish shoot a flaming arrow into golden dumpster fire. I'm down for some trashy low brow Westeros adventures.
  • edited July 2018
    russkelly said:
    If this means HBO green lights literally every idea for a Game of Thrones spin off, then I change my mind and I am fine with it. Let's have the Blackfish shoot a flaming arrow into golden dumpster fire. I'm down for some trashy low brow Westeros adventures.
    I'm praying to God they make a procedural of Arya Stark and The Hound roaming Westeros, kicking ass and taking names.  I will watch that shit for 12 seasons straight.
This discussion has been closed.