for replay ability: The Office Season 4
    for Nostalgia and comedy: The Simpsons season 3
    for superb drama: Breaking Bad season 5
    best single season show: Band of Brothers

best season from my favorite show: Its Always Sunny three way tie 3,4,5

runner ups
    Wire season 3
    Mr robot season 1

I was trying to think what the best Simpsons season was. Definitely something in the 3-5 range but I couldn't get further than that. 
    There is arguments for others. all of my favourite episodes were written by Conan but they are all split up in different seasons. 

Marge vs the Monorail: probably the greatest episode of the series
    Treehouse of Horror 4: definitely a top 3 ToH. maybe the best one
    Homer vs College: Classic, some of the best Homer of the series.
    New Kid on the Block: Homers all you can eat and pyscho Moe. 

MattyWeavesMrX
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Season 5-7 of the simpsons would also get a look in
    DeeHatorianShum
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Homer at the Bat blew my 13 year old mind away! ‘Mattingly, i thought i told you to trim those sideburns!’ 
    davemcbHatorianDummyShum
  • Fargo Season 2, Leftovers Season 2 and Northern Exposure season 2.  I think I have a thing for second seasons.

Side note, a scene from the S2E6 of Northern Exposure is pure genius.  The characters stay in character but break the 4th wall.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Great suggestions so far, I'm going to throw Boardwalk Empire season three's hat into the ring. The retribution of Richard Harrow was worth the price of admission alone.

BWE:S3, Wire:S4, Justified:S2, Leftovers:S2, BrBa: S4 are all up there though. I kind of want to throw The Expanse S3 in there, but you know, recency bias.
    KingKobraDeeawookieeTravisrkcrawf
  • @Travis We might be television soul mates. I have the Exploding Tardis print on my wall and my wife has it on a dress.

Aaaand Carnivale is one of the greatest canceled shows ever. I never mention it because hardly anyone knows about it, and it was killed off obviously way too early so it feels weird to name it as a top show. Clancy Brown will always be Brother Justin to me. 

And Management might be one of the scariest things ever. I hear that voice from time to time in trailers or voice over stuff and it creeps me out.
    We are a quiet legion of Carnivale fans...it’s a shame it was too early for it’s time and got cancelled due to cost to ratings ratio. IIRC they did give hints as to what the future seasons would have held. I’ll never forgive HBO for that as I’ll never forgive AMC for cancelling Rubicon. 
    DeeMattyWeavesTravis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    If I pick one I’m gonna pick one....The Wire Season 4 “Yerp!”

KingKobraDummy
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    chrisk said:
    I can’t pick one. This is my pool though:

Stranger Things, both seasons.
    Gilmore Girls, season 2 or 3
    The Wire, Season 4
    Justified, Season 3 (the weirdest, funniest season)
    Hannibal, Season 1
    Broad City, Season 1

The Terror might make this list. Will have to give it some time.  

I forgot Leftovers Season 2 in this. That’s definitely in the mix. 

Travis
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, The Terror was an all around triumph and Season 2 of The Leftovers was a real difficult watch, but in a great way.  

Bold Justified opinion not taking the Mags and the Bennetts season.

chrisk said:
    chrisk said:
    I can’t pick one. This is my pool though:

Stranger Things, both seasons.
    Gilmore Girls, season 2 or 3
    The Wire, Season 4
    Justified, Season 3 (the weirdest, funniest season)
    Hannibal, Season 1
    Broad City, Season 1

The Terror might make this list. Will have to give it some time.  

I forgot Leftovers Season 2 in this. That’s definitely in the mix. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Great suggestions so far, I'm going to throw Boardwalk Empire season three's hat into the ring. The retribution of Richard Harrow was worth the price of admission alone.

BWE:S3, Wire:S4, Justified:S2, Leftovers:S2, BrBa: S4 are all up there though. I kind of want to throw The Expanse S3 in there, but you know, recency bias.

I almost went for BE S3! 

Re: Simpsons - my brother and I argued for years over the best season; he says 7, I say 5. 
    MattyWeaves
  • DeeDee Adelaide

KingKobra said:
    @Travis We might be television soul mates. I have the Exploding Tardis print on my wall and my wife has it on a dress.

Aaaand Carnivale is one of the greatest canceled shows ever. I never mention it because hardly anyone knows about it, and it was killed off obviously way too early so it feels weird to name it as a top show. Clancy Brown will always be Brother Justin to me. 

And Management might be one of the scariest things ever. I hear that voice from time to time in trailers or voice over stuff and it creeps me out.
    We are a quiet legion of Carnivale fans...it’s a shame it was too early for it’s time and got cancelled due to cost to ratings ratio. IIRC they did give hints as to what the future seasons would have held. I’ll never forgive HBO for that as I’ll never forgive AMC for cancelling Rubicon. 
    I am still salty about Carnivale. 
    JaimieTMattyWeavesKingKobraTravis
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Dee said:

KingKobra said:
    @Travis We might be television soul mates. I have the Exploding Tardis print on my wall and my wife has it on a dress.

I am still salty about Carnivale. 

I couldn't get into it and I wanted to, because I love Ronald D Moore.
    Dee
  • You can make an argument for any Simpsons season 3-9. They are all epic. Season 10 is when it starts falling off. But Seasons 3-9 are just amazing. 
  • As you can tell by my profile pic I love the simpsons. My Wife paid an artist to “simponize” us as a birthday present. Love it
    cdriveShum
  • This answer clearly suffers from recency bias, but Handmaid's Tale season 1.
    This is one of those shows I feel like I have to watch just because of how much hype there is behind it.  I have never had Hulu and that is part of what's holding me back from it but one of these days I'm just going to sign up for a free trial or for a month and watch through that and some of the other stuff I want to watch that's only offered on Hulu.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

I am probably going to feel like a dummy after this is answered but I have been racking my brain for like 10 minutes, what is BWE?
  • BoardWalkEmpire
    kuman07A_Ron_HubbardMattyWeaves
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Season 1 Arrested Development 
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Lost season 1&3
    parcs and rec season 2
    season 3 TWD
    Justified 1&2
    Gilmore Girls 2
    The Americans 1
    Banshee season 1
    prison break season 2
    Hell on wheels season 2
    Westworld season 1
     GoT Season 7
    This is us season 1
    clearly I watch too much tv ;-) 

NervousRhino
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited July 2018
    Top 5 

1) The Leftovers Season 2
    2) The Wire Season 4
    3) Game of Thrones Season 4
    4) True Detective Season 1
    5) Narcos Season 2

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    if I had to pick just one off the top of my head.. The Wire - S3.
    Same here. I always start my yearly rewatch with 3. Usually just intending to watch 3.
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2018
    MrX said:
    Justified season 2
    Its probably my favorite single season of Justified, and Justified is my favorite show (live action, at any rate). That being said, I think there are better shows out there, and better single seasons, if that makes sense. For instance, my post above. The Wire is a better show and all five seasons are better than any of Justified's seasons.

Now as far as comedies are concerned, Party Down season 2 comes to mind. Animated comedies, whatever season of The Simpsons that has Hank Scorpio.
    Travis
  • Dissenting opinion: Leftovers S3
    Travisawookiee
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Yeah, The Terror was an all around triumph and Season 2 of The Leftovers was a real difficult watch, but in a great way.  

Bold Justified opinion not taking the Mags and the Bennetts season.

I think I love the same things people love about season 2, but to me the flaws are too great. 

The Bennetts who aren’t Mags aren’t very formidable or smart. Dickie’s a great character but not much of an opponent for Raylan. His brother is pretty forgettable. 

Winona and the cash is just not good  

Boyd’s development that season never felt organic to me. I don’t think he was ever a genuine white supremacist, but it felt like they had to steer him hard in another direction that season so he could stick around the remainder of the show and be something more than just a villain  

The plot with the coal company lawyer vs. Mags, and how Raylan and Boyd were placed in it, felt very stagey and forced to me. 

It’s still good, but I really just love 3. It’s fun, funny, and all the characters and dialogue are just great. It’s everything I want out of an Elmore Leonard story. I think that season and Out of Sight do a similarly perfect job of capturing his tone. 

Travis
  • MmmBop said:
    Lost season 1&3
    parcs and rec season 2
    season 3 TWD
    Justified 1&2
    Gilmore Girls 2
    The Americans 1
    Banshee season 1
    prison break season 2
    Hell on wheels season 2
    Westworld season 1
     GoT Season 7
    This is us season 1

I was seriously considering Hell on Wheels 2nd season. Game of Thrones is hard for me because so many great seasons over the years I can’t keep them straight or remember which seasons some of my favorite moments happened in. 

MmmBopTravis
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    MmmBop said:
    Lost season 1&3
    parcs and rec season 2
    season 3 TWD
    Justified 1&2
    Gilmore Girls 2
    The Americans 1
    Banshee season 1
    prison break season 2
    Hell on wheels season 2
    Westworld season 1
     GoT Season 7
    This is us season 1

I was seriously considering Hell on Wheels 2nd season. Game of Thrones is hard for me because so many great seasons over the years I can’t keep them straight or remember which seasons some of my favorite moments happened in. 

I struggled to remember the actual episodes ;-) I loved most of the episodes of shows I picked. 
    NervousRhino
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    +1 for Hell on Wheels! Right in the middle of the show I was absolutely hooked. I started playing Red Dead Redemption every time the show came back.

And @A_Ron_Hubbard I have to tag you, I can't believe I forgot Boardwalk Empire. There's a fucking Babettes poster on my wall and I overlooked the entire show. I can remember the lump in my stomach as Richard goes to get Tommy. I was genuinely sad when the show ended.
    NervousRhino
  • Hatorian said:
    MrX said:
    Hatorian said:
    Man. great question. 

for replay ability: The Office Season 4
    for Nostalgia and comedy: The Simpsons season 3
    for superb drama: Breaking Bad season 5
    best single season show: Band of Brothers

best season from my favorite show: Its Always Sunny three way tie 3,4,5

runner ups
    Wire season 3
    Mr robot season 1

I was trying to think what the best Simpsons season was. Definitely something in the 3-5 range but I couldn't get further than that. 
    There is arguments for others. all of my favourite episodes were written by Conan but they are all split up in different seasons. 

Marge vs the Monorail: probably the greatest episode of the series
    Treehouse of Horror 4: definitely a top 3 ToH. maybe the best one
    Homer vs College: Classic, some of the best Homer of the series.
    New Kid on the Block: Homers all you can eat and pyscho Moe. 

Monorail is great. I also loved the first full Sideshow Bob episode.
  • edited July 2018
    +1 for Hell on Wheels! Right in the middle of the show I was absolutely hooked. I started playing Red Dead Redemption every time the show came back.

And @A_Ron_Hubbard I have to tag you, I can't believe I forgot Boardwalk Empire. There's a fucking Babettes poster on my wall and I overlooked the entire show. I can remember the lump in my stomach as Richard goes to get Tommy. I was genuinely sad when the show ended.
    Boardwalk was a very underrated show. I disliked Michael Pitt's performance, but loved the show otherwise.Especially the later seasons. I would have loved to seen a spin-off with Capone, Luciano, and the other gangsters. Lots of movies on the subject matter, but no TV shows that I can think of. 

Single Season Show: Band of Brothers
    My memory isn't good enough to rank individual seasons of shows. They blur together for me...
    S4 of the Wire (show could have ended there), S4 of Breaking Bad, S6 of Game of Thrones, S2 of the Leftovers.
    Travis
  • Firefly season 1, burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.  :-)
    rkcrawfMattyWeavesTravis