2018 Fantasy Football League

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited July 11 in General
hey Guys,

Aron mentioned in lunch that there’s a chance we might not be able to do the league this year if they don’t open up the commissions and fair enough. I agree it’s not really fair to offer commissioned podcasts if it’s nof available to everyone. 

So so we have a few options per below.

1. If they do open up commissions and allow us to have their blessing for a league this year then of course that’s what we will do. 

If the answer is no then these are the possible options...

2. We do a free league or leagues simply with bragging rights. Although I can tell you from a decade plus of experience these usually turn out really lame as no one has any interest to really care about their team and many people stop filling out their lineups or actively participated. I don’t think I’d actually put the effort into setting this up but I Guess it’s still an option. 

3. We set up an official and legal pro yahoo paid league where we have a cash entry and the winner(s) will instead get paid cash. This will need to be set up and separated from BM with no official connection to the group. This is 100% legal but I would not feel comfortable promoting this on their forums and we would need to create like a Google hangout to set up and do separately.

4. Don’t do it this year

obviously most of us would probably prefer number 1 but just wanted to get feelers out for worst case we have to choose 2, 3 or 4. Please comment and let me know what option you prefer and we can come to an agreement on how to manage. 

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 11
    I'm in for number 1 if it ends up being possible or 2 I'd be in with as well, but there'll probably be a ton of people in it if there's a 100% free league.  Not sure how it was set up last year as I wasn't apart of it but the sheer number of people that join could be troublesome.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 11
    I'm in for number 1 if it ends up being possible or 2 I'd be in with as well, but there'll probably be a ton of people in it if there's a 100% free league.  Not sure how it was set up last year as I wasn't apart of it but the sheer number of people that join could be troublesome.
    The last 3 years the way it worked where’s a league of 10 people had to pay $30 entry for a total of $300 prize which was given as a commissioned podcast. A league of 12 was $25 per person for a prize of $300.

You didn’t enter free and get a commissioned podcast. It was winner take all. The winner of the league technically won the $300 pot but the prize was a commissioned podcast of their choice. So basically you risked a $30 entry and played fantasy football with a chance of winning and getting choose a commissioned podcast. 

if we did a free league then you wouldn’t win anything.

The other option is we use one of the sites that allows you to enter a cash league for X amount, say $30, $50 or $100 entry and the winner gets the money cash in hand minus whatever fees the site charges. 
    Last year we had 30 people join and had 3 leagues and it was Super fun. But there was also real stakes and a real prize. I agree number 2 probably would turn out lame. If that’s what most vote for I’d probably just cancel it unless someone else wanted to put in the effort and run it as commissioner. 
  • Hatorian said:
    The last 3 years the way it worked where’s a league of 10 people had to pay $30 entry for a total of $300 prize which was given as a commissioned podcast. A league of 12 was $25 per person for a prize of $300.

You didn’t enter free and get a commissioned podcast. It was winner take all. The winner of the league technically won the $300 pot but the prize was a commissioned podcast of their choice. So basically you risked a $30 entry and played fantasy football with a chance of winning and getting choose a commissioned podcast. 

if we did a free league then you wouldn’t win anything.

The other option is we use one of the sites that allows you to enter a cash league for X amount, say $30, $50 or $100 entry and the winner gets the money cash in hand minus whatever fees the site charges. 
    That makes perfect sense.  In a perfect world it would work out that way again this year but with everything up in the air regarding commissioned podcasts it's clearly something to discuss and figure out what will work the best.  I'm all in for fantasy football, I've got a league that I run with friends and if I can hop in another league and throw some money to the Jim and A. Ron I'm all for it.
  • Yea free leagues usually end up having a bunch of abandoned teams by week 4 so if the commissions are a no go I'd be down for a standard paid league or just forgo it this year.

Alternatively (just spitballing here) Bald Move could award the winner a 5 year club membership (which I believe is the same value as a $300 commission). Not as fun as a commission but would be a lot less effort for Jim & ARon.
    gguenot
  • What if the prize is being a stand in for whenever one of the guys cant make a lunch? lol
    Noelcdrive
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    @Hatorian you know me! i'm in for 1 or 3. and even maybe 2 if i don't do too many leagues this year. Thanks again bro for putting this together always super fun! Fingers Crossed that option 1 happens. 
  • FernNYC17 said:
    @Hatorian you know me! i'm in for 1 or 3. and even maybe 2 if i don't do too many leagues this year. Thanks again bro for putting this together always super fun! Fingers Crossed that option 1 happens. 
    I can only imagine the pain in the ass it is to start up and manage a league like this.  I second his thanks for putting in the time and energy it takes.  I think I'd be in for 1, 2, or 3 personally.  I mentioned 1 or 2 but I'd be ok doing something separate if that's the way it needs to go.  
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 11
    Winner gets an airline gift card good towards getting to wherever the next Baldmove meetup is?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 11
    gguenot said:
    What if the prize is being a stand in for whenever one of the guys cant make a lunch? lol
    Yeah, but then one of you psychos would Nancy Kerrigan Jim or A. Ron just to get to use it.
    "Why!? Because getting that sweet mic time is worth your precious robot shin, Jim! I took a gamble on David Johnson staying healthy to get this chance, damn it!" "Oh... you meant why you and not A. Ron? A. Ron likes talking to strangers. Have fun with your limp, you damn dirty introverted robot!"

gguenotNoelHatorianpicorock80
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Freddy said:
    gguenot said:
    What if the prize is being a stand in for whenever one of the guys cant make a lunch? lol
    Yeah, but then one of you psychos would Nancy Kerrigan Jim or A. Ron just to get to use it.
    "Why!? Because getting that sweet mic time is worth your precious robot shin, Jim! I took a gamble on David Johnson staying healthy to get this chance, damn it!" "Oh... you meant why you and not A. Ron? A. Ron likes talking to strangers. Have fun with your limp, you damn dirty introverted robot!"

Freddy
  • I’d for sure be down for playing this year. Options 1 and 3 seem the best. I’ve been a commish of free and pay leagues many years and your free leagues end up becoming a ghost town as the season goes on. 
  • I am down to play again this year no matter which option ends up happening! 
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    If 1 has the green light then I’m in but if not I’ll try for next year. I’m already committed to three other cash leagues and this league winning a potential commission is worth it. 
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Why not just chip in to give the winner a year’s club membership, an autographed copy of A. Ron’s treatise on religion and a $200 gift certificate to the BM merch store?
    edited July 18
    Andrew said:
    Why not just chip in to give the winner a year’s club membership, an autographed copy of A. Ron’s treatise on religion and a $200 gift certificate to the BM merch store?
     EDIT: based on the feedback above i think theres really only 2 options. 

1. commissioned podcast as usual

2. do a $10 per person entry and the winner gets 2 years free subscription to BM VIP. or 1st and 2nd place get 1 year but then that sort of defeats the purpose of the championship game. 
    letrbuck2006