Evan Rachel Wood Legitimately Had ‘No Idea What Was Happening’ In Season 2 (Article)

edited July 11 in Westworld

Evan Rachel Wood on Season 2:  “I had no idea what was happening in season two. At all. And we shot out of order,” she said. “I mean, it was insane to be an actor on season two. I don’t know how I feel about it.” “But it was a ride. We stopped reading the call sheets. We would show up and Jeffrey [Wright] and I would ask what episode we were in. It was kind of that level of — we just lived in the moment in whatever scene that we were doing, and that’s how we made it.”

We already knew this was the case, to some extent (i.e., deciding to make Stubbs a host right before the shoot), but it's usually not a great sign of a cohesive vision by the creators/writers.  I'm not giving up, but I wish it didn't seem so slapdash when it's so loaded with potential.

Link to Excerpt:  https://uproxx.com/tv/westworld-evan-rachel-wood-season-2/

Full Interview on Vulture:  http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/evan-rachel-wood-across-the-universe-scared-people.html

ElisaJoshuaHeter

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I hope they did the storyboards and scripts out of order too and it turns out nobody has ever thought through the events of season 2 in chronological order except like Alt Shift X
    sarahtatugaElisakeneesisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Storyboards?  I think it just springs complete directly from the mind of Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy.
    sarahtatuga
  • Making Stubbs a host adds nothing to the show, unless confirming my fears that the writing staff doesn't have the discipline to not make characters hosts for no other reason than "it's cool, and looking back through the stories, it kind of works! Lets do it!"

After the Season 2 finale I thought to myself "Well, I'm ok with ending it here. I like the show a lot, but I don't trust the creators to make the story bigger and not go ape skat...so I'm done."

I'll check back in a few years and see if my M Night Shyamalan Syndrome fears were confirmed. 
    Elisasarahtatuga
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    or they could go full Matrix-y on us; everybody's a host, everybody has always been a host. Humanity has been dead and gone for thousands of years and the whole things is some kind of bizarre AI recreation of humanity's fall.

but agreed, you at least need to have your primary cast on board with what's going on or their performances suffer.
    MattyWeavessarahtatuga
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Well, with the situation that's been setup on the show, that seems pretty likely.  The technology that Ford and Bernarnold came up with is so dangerous that only the Delos corporation being silly and general population being unawares is what is preventing some major campaign against the hosts.  We haven't seen any rules about the same host brain in multiple sleeves.  We've been told if you remember people well enough you can build them, or change them if you need to.  So some AI factory with a host body producer can just keep on cranking out versions of whatever they need, even if the person's brain pattern isn't stored in a database as long as they're known to a host.
    sarahtatuga
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    redlancer said:
    or they could go full Matrix-y on us; everybody's a host, everybody has always been a host. Humanity has been dead and gone for thousands of years and the whole things is some kind of bizarre AI recreation of humanity's fall.

but agreed, you at least need to have your primary cast on board with what's going on or their performances suffer.

That's more Battlestar Galactica actually.
    sarahtatuga