What's Your Best Story?

I got together tonight with some friends who I haven't seen in awhile, but the group of us came together around grade 6 or 7 and we stuck with each other well into our mid 20's.  We're all still friends, and we all still each other from time to time but it's been years since the whole bunch of us got together.  Naturally, we starting talking about old times and reminiscing about some of the crazy things that we did when we were young.

What's your best story?  What's the crazies, most outlandish, funniest story that you've been apart of in some way?

TravisJoshuaHeter

Comments

• I could tell a crazy mushroom story from
    my high school days lol
    CretanBullcdriveApril_May_JuneTravisakritenbrink
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 12
    gguenot said:
    I could tell a crazy mushroom story from
    my high school days lol
    I wanted to let others go first, but my story involves LSD haha!
    gguenotcdriveTravisakritenbrink
  • We’ll save it lol
    Travisakritenbrink
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I could jump in on that topic too but that might be best told in person at a Bald Move hang out with no tape recorders. Haha
    gguenotCretanBullNoelTravisakritenbrink
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 13
    EDITED to fix some mistakes and add a few bits. 

I mean, have a lot of great moments travelling and crazy stories with massive coincidences and just unbelievably. Probably my funnest story was successfully running away from the police.

In high school we were having a party at a friends house. Everybody did the usual call your parents and say your staying at your friends house. Everyone started drinking really early, like 5 or 6 I was waiting for my mom to get home at like 9 and I didn’t want to call her drunk so I decided to wait. Its not fun being 1 of 2 sober people basically babysitting a bunch of drunk kids. 

Apparently one of our friend's dads decided to call and check in on his daughter(as it was her friend's house having the party) and one of the super drunk kids picks up the phone and starts talking to her dad and being a total ass hat to him. He instantly flips out and figures out what’s going on and drives over to the house and sees everyone fucked up. He takes his daughter and then says he’s calling the cops. this is a small town so it only takes like 5 minutes for the cops to show. We all start freaking out and there’s like 10 Super drunk kids and me and one other sober person. The cops pull up to the front of the house and somehow me and my sober Friend successful get everyone to climb out the back window, there's like 3 cop cars in the driveway now and we have to sneak through the backyards of these houses constantly stopping and ducking behind random objects as the cops start making their way around the house with flashlights searching. about 2 houses down there is a walking trail that goes through the entire town and intersects with various streets. So we head down that.

The trail has waist high grass on each side so its perfect concealment unless you are actually on the trail. The problem was me and my sober friend had to somehow ensure 10 drunk kids could go Metal Gear Solid crouch style so their heads/bodies dont go over the cover. It was literally like Solid Snake when he has to avoid the flashlights or get the exclamation point. As we were crawling on this trail cops were driving around the adjacent streets with their flood lights and multiple times they scanned right over us. If we were upright we would have been caught. 

Luckily the walking trail directly connected to the next street an and one of the kids lived on that street so as soon as we exited the trail we booked to his house and ran into his basement and stayed there for the rest of the night. 

Being stupid broke kids knowing there was like $200 of booze still left in the house, me and the sober Friend did a recon back to the party house. We snuck all the way back through the trail, snuck back into the back window which was still open, grabbed all the booze and went back to the safe house. 

It it was pretty awesome and made me feel like James Bond Super spy or Solid Snake. Successfully escaping and avoiding an army of cops and even getting the booze back for a party another day.  Not a single kid got caught or arrested. It was a perfect extraction and operation. Haha
    CretanBullMattyWeavesDeeNoelakritenbrinkcdriveJaimieTWarpFoxweeniegirlOldGriswold
  • This one happened to a friend when we were around 17 or so.  I'm gonna use some fake names to protect the guilty!

My friend "John" was at a party one night, got wasted and fell asleep.  He woke up at like 5 am with a hangover looming and rather than fall back to sleep on the couch he'd passed out on, he left the house, walked home and sleep most of the day away in his own bed.

Much later in the day, a bunch of us got together and we dropped some LSD.  Before it kicked in, "John" realized that we'd be out for awhile and that it would be cold later in the night so before the acid hit him he ran home to get his jacket.  When he got home, his mum was waiting for him.  The police had called and they wanted to talk to "John" ASAP.  A car had been stolen from the party that he was at, the car had crashed into a tree and was destroyed - drunk driving had been suspected.  "John" tried talking his way out of going to the police station knowing that the acid was going to hit him in about 20 mins but the more he protested the more his mum got suspicious and insisted that he go.  And so he went.

Important note...John was pretty sure he knew who stole the car, even though it happened after he'd gone to bed.  Earlier in the night our friend "Chris" ran out of cigarettes and was trying to get someone to drive him to the store, but everyone who had a car had been drinking and didn't want to drive.  As the night wore on, "Chris" was getting more and more desperate for a smoke.  It also happened to be "Chris's" brother's car that had been stolen.

"John" got the police station and had to wait to talk to a detective.  While waiting, the acid kicked in and he was having a hard time keeping it together.  He just kept telling himself that all he had to do was tell them that he didn't know anything and not say "Chris's" name.

He finally got called into the detective's office and he was peaking on the acid.  He did everything that he could to focus on what the detective, but he was really losing the plot.  He made out that the stolen car was wrecked so badly that the police were expecting to find bodies inside.  In order to clear "John", they wanted him to take his shirt off - anyone involved in that accident was sure to be cut and bruised so they wanted to inspect him.

This is the really funny part...remember Hypercoloured shirts?  For those that don't, they were kinda tie-dye looking shirts that changed colours with your body temperature.  Well, "John" was wearing one - and being on acid while being interrogated by the police knowing that if he slipped up his friend was going to jail, "John" was sweating up a storm and his shirt was a blur of changing colours!  He managed to get his shirt off to show the detective that he wasn't injured, but when he tried to put the shirt back on, he got lost in the swirl of colours.  The shirt actually was changing colours, and then you could imagine how much more intense that might look when you're on acid haha!  He got the shirt over his head, but got complete lost.  The colours were going crazy and he couldn't find the neck hole so slid his head through.  He was trying to push his head through one of the arm sleeves and started to panic, thinking that his head had gotten bigger or his shirt was shrinking! 

He fought trying to get his shirt back on, lost in acid induced panic and a swirl of colours.  Eventually he gave up and stood there, in a detective's office high as a kite with his head half-jammed into the sleeve of his hyercoloured shirt.

He has no idea how long he stood there like a dope while his mum and a confused cop started at him (luckily he couldn't see them through his shirt!), but eventually his mum got up and helped him out.

To this day, he doesn't know how he got out of there without accidentally mentioning "Chris" or being arrested himself!

The other funny flip side to this is while this was happening, my friends and I were peaking on acid too....and to us, "John" went home for 5 minutes and like 2 hours later he still hadn't come back.  In our acid brains, we were worried that he'd gotten kidnapped and all sort of other bizarre ideas got thrown around.

Hatoriangguenotphoenyx1023NoelJaimieT
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
    I could jump in on that topic too but that might be best told in person at a Bald Move hang out with no tape recorders. Haha

I agree. I can’t be liable for what’s said here.
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited July 12
    I have a mushroom story ... I'll redact certain details, but the gist is ... on mushrooms, we were in a hotel room on the 6th floor ... and there was a freaking EARTH QUAKE!  It wasn't a very strong one, I don't remember the exact strength, but it was I think just a 4.8.  Not really a big deal usually, but under the circumstances, it was *terrifying*, and totally ruined the night.
    We laugh about it now, but I don't think I'd ever touch mushrooms again after that night.
     :D 

PS - @gguenot - I told my mushroom story - now let's hear yours!   :)
    CretanBullHatoriangguenot
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'm going to have to get back to this one...
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    When I was 17 I went to China as part of an exchange group. I have tons of stories (my girlfriend was on the trip) but my absolute favorite was my short time as a celebrity.

We were officially guests of a high ranking government sponsored school, so everywhere we went, we got special treatment and our drivers frequently told police to stay away.

One of our short trips was to a television station where they were filming a decently popular game show. I have zero recollection of the name, but we got to meet producers and such beforehand. They asked for volunteers and my hand flew up.

I was going to be one of the plants to get called down to participate. Almost no one spoke English except the host and it was broken at best.

Cut to them introducing celebrities and doing some form of talk show mixed with answering questions for points. I have no idea what's going on but they signal our part is coming up. They ask for volunteers, everyone in the audience raises their hands, they "randomly" pick three white kids.

I get paired with an older gentleman I was later told was a big actor in the 60s. Our task? I have to hold onto a wheel and he picks up my ankles as we all race down to throw bags of straw over my back, and I can hear everyone in the building laughing their asses off because we were all over the place.

We hammed it up a bit near the end and I have no idea who won. We smiled, shook hands again, and they gave us ice cream cones.

End of story, right? Well, the show goes another 20 minutes or so, and as things end, the entire crowd gets up at once to leave. It's a bit chaotic, but we had been there a while so I wasn't completely surprised.

While walking down the stairs a teenage girl stops and asks for my autograph. OK, this is awesome, so I scribble my name, she giggles, and I keep moving. Then another girl asks a minute or so later, then another, and then some want pictures.

Im trying to make my way to the parking lot as teenage girls keep stopping me. It's not panic inducing, but it was interesting...until I got to the lot where a group of maybe twenty Chinese school girls come swarming up trying to take pictures.

I've successfully lost my group, and I can barely see the bus, and it's not close. A bit of panic sets in now, but soon after I hear my name being yelled.

Apparently everyone had a nice smooth walk to the bus and when they were doing a head count, they were one short. I shit you not, the bus is blowing its massive air horns and practically bowling people out of the way. I'm like 99% sure no one got hurt but I could never confirm.

I got scooped by one of the guides and basically tossed onto the bus. It all seemed really cool in the moment, but my danger alarm didn't register right away.

Bonus part, I was noticed a few more times over the remaining week. Somewhere out there, a Chinese family has a picture of themselves with me at the great wall of China.
    CretanBullNoelakritenbrinkJaimieT
  • edited July 12
    I think the statute of limitations has run out on this so here goes . . .

Back in college a buddy of mine, we'll call him "Jim", got in trouble for shoplifting when he was home over the holidays.  A month or so later, he received a letter in the mail demanding that he turn himself in at his hometown police station so that a court date could be set.  The letter mentioned that he had to show up between 12am - 3am.  

So Jim asked me to accompany him down to the police station since it was a 3 hour drive each way in the middle of the night.  He said there was no way he could stay awake by himself.  He also enticed the offer by purchasing a bag of weed and an eight ball of coke to help us pass the time.  We hit the road around 11pm.  For three hours we smoked weed and did lines of coke off CD cases on the way to the police station (and yes, this was incredibly stupid).  We figured we'd be fine since we partied pretty hard through high school and college and were used to maintaining our composure around adults while under the influence.

We finally arrived, threw some visine in our eyes, and headed into the station.  Now about this time, I was starting to question our decision making process.  Despite the visine, our eyes were beet red, I'm sure we were talking a little too fast, it was 2 in the morning, we're in a fucking police station, and I was getting nervous.  We approached the front counter and the fully uniformed and armed police officer working the night shift looked at us like, "What the hell are you two doing here at this time of night?"

Jim produced the notice and the officer asked for his ID.  He whipped his driver's license out of his wallet and slapped it down on the counter.  Well, guess what that genius Jim had been using to cut up all the coke we'd been doing on the ride down?  That's right, his driver's license.  So, in addition to his license, a small handful of white powder was also scattered across the police station's front counter.  I immediately saw my life flash before my eyes and just about had the big one.  By sheer, dumb luck, the officer, who was about two feet away, just happened to be looking down at the computer when this occurred.  And Jim, in a move as smooth and confidant as I've ever seen, reached his entire arm across the counter and in a single motion swiped all the coke onto the floor just as he casually leaned an elbow onto the counter and asked about the next steps in the process.

Everything proceeded smoothly from there on out.  And the last thing the officer said to us before we left was, "Now, you boys know that 12am - 3am timeframe was a typo don't you?  You could have brought yourselves down anytime."
    CretanBullJaimieT
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 12
    ^ That reminds me of another story...when I was in high school I took a law class and we had a field trip to sit in on court room at watch the proceedings.  One guy was called to the bench and asked to produce the summons that he was given.  He pulled the folded up paper out of his pocket and as he did a quarter-sized piece of hash came out with it and landed on the floor.  It was really obvious and everyone (the Crown, the judge, court officer, court clerk etc) saw it.  The guy just shrugged his shoulders, went over to it, picked it up and put in back in his pocket and no one said a word!

JaimieT
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited July 12
    So I was debating telling my mushroom story where I TOOK mushrooms and met (the real) Orlando Bloom OR when I was just baby sitting my high school friends at my parents house while they were out of town. I think the latter is more entertaining. 

Some background: I was in scouting and it was the annual "rocket launch" event where we would go out to a dry lake bed and camp and shoot off model rockets. I had done it numerous years in the past and was kind of over it and I feigned being sick. My mom was involved with the troop and my the rocket launch event was the only one my dad liked going to so they went and left me home alone! This was the first time they trusted me to watch the house by myself-- better not do anything crazy to betray their trust! So I decided to offer up the house for about 10 of my friends to do mushrooms for their first time.

My logic was sound-- what could go wrong with 10 teenagers doing mushrooms for their first time in my parents house? And if anything did go wrong, well at least we were in a safe place.I had already done shrooms once so I felt like the "expert" and the "daddy" of the group teaching my friends the ways of magic mushrooms! I invited my girlfriend at the time to help me keep an eye on everyone and she had never been around people stoned let alone hallucinogens. I preemptively locked our cat away in my parents bedroom with food and water and litter box and tried to take as many fragile items down to avoid the possibility of things getting damaged. My friends arrived excited and with a variety of different foods to help ingest the nasty tasting mushrooms-- Taco Bell burritos, pizza slices, salad?, and the worst choice a PB&J sandwich. My "expertise" didn't extend to knowing that the PB&J was a bad idea-- if youre trying to get these dried, shriveled, shit-tasting mushrooms down, peanut butter probably isnt the best idea. Anyways, they ate them.

Layout of the house: Downstairs consisted of the kitchen, dining room, living room (the kind that no one is really supposed to go in), TV room, and 2 bedrooms (that I locked). The house is very long and skinny, so all the rooms basically branch off of one long hallway (with mirrors at each end so it kind of creates one of those endless mirror tunnel effects). Upstairs was a bonus room, bathroom, and my bedroom.

On to the night: After everyone was finished eating we went upstairs to the bonus room and played some halo waiting for the effects to kick in. As I was sitting there I remember my friend Jose had a wolf mask in his car from, now that I'm thinking about it, must have been from the prior Halloween because this story takes place in early August. I say to Jose-- who opted to just smoke that night-- "hey dude, go grab that mask in your car". He goes down, grabs it, and hands it to me. I indiscreetly put it on (I'm kind of sitting behind everyone on a chair and theyre spread out on other chairs/sitting on the floor). I sit there quietly with the mask on for about 10 minutes, not saying anything and I notice people seeing me out of the corner of their eye and doing some double takes, but I'm a statue and just keep looking forward. I hear someone whisper to the other "was he invited?", thumbing back in my direction. About 30 minutes into the night everyone has noticed the new wolf in the room and my friends are calling for me, thinking I'm downstairs or in the other room, to get this new guy OUT. I start talking normally to them as if I dont have the mask on and that really becomes the catalyst for the night. They all disperse from the room and spread throughout the house. That was the only "messing" with them that I did and thought early on wouldnt be an issue, which I was correct for the most part.

Quick shroom explanation to those who haven't done it-- when youre on mushrooms you wont "see" a person or thing that isnt actually there. Like, you wont see a cat sitting in front of you that isn't actually there; it's more like patterns on walls will "breathe" and "swirl around" and light hitting your peripheral might make you think you see something. Shrooms is very mental in the sense that concepts and certain visuals will really send you down a trippy mental rabbit hole. There are definitely visuals, but you wont see Pat Sajack manifest from nothing

My girlfriend arrives and she walks into a dark house with loud Pink Floyd blasting, Lord of the Rings playing on the TV with Orc horns blaring, and laughter and shrieks coming from various rooms in the house. I think I basically gave her a "Jim from the Office looking at the camera shrug"-- I was just amused by the look on her face as she forced herself to step over the threshold and enter. As the night escalated I had conversation with friends about "what is dryer lint?" and if you continued to run the dryer would a shirt eventually dissolve into nothing, coloring sessions, and hide and go seek games where I eventually found a friend of mine had taken all of the clothes out of my closet, buried himself completed underneath, and I came into the room to hear muffled giggles under my clothes. One friend had spent the entire trip refusing to be taken away from the Lord of the Rings movies, one talking to my cat through the door of my parents room, and the other kept asking where Beatrice (pronouncing it Be-uh-TRACE) was. It took me a while to realize that they had named the wolf mask guy (me) Beatrice. 

One of the more interesting moments of the night was when my gf started playing a calm melody on the piano. It interrupted everyone's journey and they all quietly sat around the piano mesmerized. It triggered the start of everyone's come down which was fine by me tbh. The rest of the night was pretty cool with weird conversations, laughing, and people sharing what they experienced. I successfully cleaned up, got rid of any evidence and basically got away with it except for the fact that a  week later my mom asked me why there was a big "I (heart) shrooms" written in dust on the dining room table. Whoops.

I think everyone should try shrooms at least once. It's quite the experience with very little risk potential (as long as you're in a safe place with someone watching you)-- you go through this ego shedding process thats really valuable imo.
    MichelleCretanBullApril_May_Junephoenyx1023HatorianJaimieT
  • So...pretty much everyone's best story is a drug story haha!
    April_May_JunegguenotcdriveHatorian
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 12
    I'll preface this by saying that I used to be a full on dummy, now I'm only a dummy about 25% of the time.

Picture the scene, it's some time around 2004, I'm about 15.

So Thursdays used to be a super boring day at school, it was all the subjects that I hated in one day like maths, chemistry, biology, physics (plus English which I actually liked) all one after the other. To remedy this boredom me and two or three other friends would just head to the girls toilets and either smoke a blunt or drink some straight up vodka or whatever else somebody had managed to steal from their house in order to be buzzed for as much of it as possible.

One particular day though, we took things too far and somebody had got some cocaine from their big sister. We all dove straight in thinking we were the coolest girls on earth, and the day very quickly started to descend in to madness with lines plus weed plus alcohol all before 9:30am. I don't actually remember much of it but I have been told many times since that among my heroics that day were:

- Sitting in the back of maths class and writing out the lyrics to Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise in my workbook, backwards.

- Having an argument with my English teacher about why she wouldn't accept the fact that a poem we were studying had repetition in it because the publication year was 1919.

- Fully throwing up at lunch time in a corner of the playing field and trying to set it on fire to vanish the evidence.

- Having a mini nervous breakdown about the death of R&B star Aaliyah. She had been dead for three years at this point.

- Putting my hand up to answer every question in one particular class and starting my answer by saying "First all of, you're beautiful..." to a teacher who I had a crush on. She was eventually the one who saw that something was up and took me out of the class. But she was actually really cool and instead of snitching on me, threw me in to her office and told me to stay put for the rest of the day.

I guess I must have consumed the most out of the four of us, because everybody else went through the entire day undetected by staff! I never got in trouble for it, my parents were never called, that teacher really did me a solid. She was one of those 'cool, hip' types, think Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds.

gguenotphoenyx1023MichelleCretanBullNoelcdriveHatorianakritenbrinkJaimieT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 13
    The day I reveal my most/best personal story here is the day my Bald Move days are over - aka, it's never going to happen.  Just know that my 20s were full of fun (no regrets!) and that's about as far as that story's going. :grin:
    gguenotCretanBullNoelApril_May_JuneFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Okay, so when I was 16, a friend and I were invited by another friend, George, to stay the night at her family’s holiday house on the coast for her 16th birthday. She was kind of a dork and was under the illusion that myself and the other friend, Sue, were cooler than she was. We were not. We were just better at bluffing it. Anyway, she decided she wanted to drink, so we bought a cask of fruity lexia and went to the beach to drink it. Come about 11 pm and on the hill above us we suddenly see a torchlight and said torch holder getting closer and closer. When he gets to us, it’s a police officer, and he is furious with us. He starts yelling about how long he has been looking for us and all the terrible things that could have happened to us. He then hauled us all back into his police car, where he drove George back to the holiday house and then took Sue and myself to the police station, where we had to spend the night in the cell. It was just a little country town so it was all kind of in one room and he was the only cop there. The next morning he rang Sue’s dad to come and pick us up – I don’t remember now why he didn’t do that the night before; I do remember that I lied and told him we didn’t have a phone because my parents would have killed me. Maybe Sue’s dad hadn’t been home? Anyway, he didn’t seem too fazed by it – Sue had several older brothers and it was kind of a rough family, so he’d seen some things with his kids.

Monday at school we found out what had happened – George had been told by her parents to be home by 8 pm, but she hadn’t told us that. By 9-ish they were frothing at the mouth in panic and rang the police station, which is why the cop was out looking for us. Sue and I had been taken to the cop shop because George’s parents blamed us for the drinking and keeping her out late and wouldn’t have us back in the house, and we were banned from hanging out with George forever after. (I’m not even kidding – even in our early 20s she was lying to her parents about what she was doing when she came out with me.) George, being a coward, did not tell her parents that the booze was actually her idea, and therefore we were forever marked as scum in her household. I’m still a bit salty about it, not gonna lie. 

gguenotCretanBullHatorianakritenbrinkMichelleFreddyNoel
    Damn @dee You non-gangsta as fuck.
    Dee
  • @Dee isn't spending a night in jail a rite of passage in Australia?  :)
    akritenbrink
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull It’s required in order to be allowed to vote. 
    CretanBullHatorianakritenbrinkMichellecdriveNoel
    Dee said:

Okay, so when I was 16, a friend and I were invited by another friend, George, to stay the night at her family’s holiday house on the coast for her 16th birthday. She was kind of a dork and was under the illusion that myself and the other friend, Sue, were cooler than she was. We were not. We were just better at bluffing it. Anyway, she decided she wanted to drink, so we bought a cask of fruity lexia and went to the beach to drink it. Come about 11 pm and on the hill above us we suddenly see a torchlight and said torch holder getting closer and closer. When he gets to us, it’s a police officer, and he is furious with us. He starts yelling about how long he has been looking for us and all the terrible things that could have happened to us. He then hauled us all back into his police car, where he drove George back to the holiday house and then took Sue and myself to the police station, where we had to spend the night in the cell. It was just a little country town so it was all kind of in one room and he was the only cop there. The next morning he rang Sue’s dad to come and pick us up – I don’t remember now why he didn’t do that the night before; I do remember that I lied and told him we didn’t have a phone because my parents would have killed me. Maybe Sue’s dad hadn’t been home? Anyway, he didn’t seem too fazed by it – Sue had several older brothers and it was kind of a rough family, so he’d seen some things with his kids.

Monday at school we found out what had happened – George had been told by her parents to be home by 8 pm, but she hadn’t told us that. By 9-ish they were frothing at the mouth in panic and rang the police station, which is why the cop was out looking for us. Sue and I had been taken to the cop shop because George’s parents blamed us for the drinking and keeping her out late and wouldn’t have us back in the house, and we were banned from hanging out with George forever after. (I’m not even kidding – even in our early 20s she was lying to her parents about what she was doing when she came out with me.) George, being a coward, did not tell her parents that the booze was actually her idea, and therefore we were forever marked as scum in her household. I’m still a bit salty about it, not gonna lie. 

hate when people are too chicken to man up. I went down in similar fashion cuz my "friend" was a pussy. 
    DeeCretanBullMichelle
    Should I start with the dope houses, the strip clubs, or the old neighborhood? 
    HatorianakritenbrinkMichellecdrive
    Freddy said:
    Should I start with the dope houses, the strip clubs, or the old neighborhood? 
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

should I talk about the time I got jumped by a group of 12 year old kids in the projects of South side Chicago? 

Or the time we went on a 48 bender and ended up in a different state. 

Or the time I spent graduation in handcuffs. 

Or the time time we got surrounded by crackheads...

i could go on...
    CretanBullMichelleFreddy
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Hatorian said:

I mean, have a lot of great moments travelling and crazy stories with massive coincidences and just unbelievably. Probably my funnest story was successfully running away from the police.

In high school we were having a party at a friends house. Everybody did the usual call your parents and say your staying at your friends house. Everyone started drinking really early, like 5 or 6 I was waiting for my mom to get home at like 9 and I didn’t want to call her drunk so I decided to wait. Its not fun being 1 of 2 sober people basically babysitting a bunch of drunk kids. 

Apparently one of our friend's dads decided to call and check in on his daughter(as it was her friend's house having the party) and one of the super drunk kids picks up the phone and starts talking to her dad and being a total ass hat to him. He instantly flips out and figures out what’s going on and drives over to the house and sees everyone fucked up. He takes his daughter and then says he’s calling the cops. this is a small town so it only takes like 5 minutes for the cops to show. We all start freaking out and there’s like 10 Super drunk kids and me and one other sober person. The cops pull up to the front of the house and somehow me and my sober Friend successful get everyone to climb out the back window, there's like 3 cop cars in the driveway now and we have to sneak through the backyards of these houses constantly stopping and ducking behind random objects as the cops start making their way around the house with flashlights searching. about 2 houses down there is a walking trail that goes through the entire town and intersects with various streets. So we head down that.

The trail has waist high grass on each side so its perfect concealment unless you are actually on the trail. The problem was me and my sober friend had to somehow ensure 10 drunk kids could go Metal Gear Solid crouch style so their heads/bodies dont go over the cover. It was literally like Solid Snake when he has to avoid the flashlights or get the exclamation point. As we were crawling on this trail cops were driving around the adjacent streets with their flood lights and multiple times they scanned right over us. If we were upright we would have been caught. 

Luckily the walking trail directly connected to the next street an and one of the kids lived on that street so as soon as we exited the trail we booked to his house and ran into his basement and stayed there for the rest of the night. 

Being stupid broke kids knowing there was like $200 of booze still left in the house, me and the sober Friend did a recon back to the party house. We snuck all the way back through the trail, snuck back into the back window which was still open, grabbed all the booze and went back to the safe house. 

It it was pretty awesome and made me feel like James Bond Super spy or Solid Snake. Successfully escaping and avoiding an army of cops and even getting the booze back for a party another day.  Not a single kid got caught or arrested. It was a perfect extraction and operation. Haha
    Stranger Things Season 7
    Hatorian
    edited July 13
    Hatorian said:

Stranger Things Season 7
    Haha. I could really write a book or have a TV mini-series regarding my encounters with police.

Ill tell one more story. In high school we had a political science class. And that class had an extra credit for anyone who brought in a political banner. You know, the ones set up on people’s lawns. Now the idea wasn’t you should steal these but go to a political office and get one. However, most kids simply drove around the neighbourhood and found a banner and stole it from the yard. 

So so me and my buddy one day take what we call the “boonie smoke ride”. It’s basically driving down empty roads smoking pot. There’s like 1 house every mile. It’s the boonies. So we are smoking and having a good time and we pass a house that has one of these banners in front of their house. My Friend says stop, I need it for my extra credit. So we pull over and proceeds to try to steal it. But as he’s walking out a cop just so happens to come into view behind us. He immediately ditches the plan and gets into the car. And we take off. Of course the cops pulls us over. 

We have a stinky car and lit bowl of weed. My Friend puts it under the seat and we both pull out cigarettes and start smoking like mad men to clear the smell. But we are 16. The cop walks up to my side as I’m driving. I roll down the window and smoke pores out. 

He asks why why did we pull over. And my buddy says, I didn’t feel well so I felt like throwing up. The cop knows this is bullshit and says then why the hell are you smoking? He says wait here. 

He he goes back to his car. I’m shitting my pants like were fucked. The cop comes back. Tells us “alright get out of here,  Stop smoking, and BLANK(my real name), Tell your Brother I said hi. My Brother knew the cops very well. Not in a good way but in a respectful way enough that the cop let us go. But there was no doubt in my mind he smelled the weed and we were also smoking cigarettes underage. He was just being cool.

This is was just 1 of 4 encounters with police I had. 
    CretanBull
    So...pretty much everyone's best story is a drug story haha!
    The all time best side effect of illegal drugs is the stories. The stories alone are worth the trip.
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 13
    Five years ago I went on a 4-day Andes hike to Machu Picchu. On the 3rd night, my friend did something that nearly resulted in my death. We're not friends anymore, because I'm certain of what happened and how do you ask someone if they did something that nearly resulted in your death? Awkward. 

The hike involved climbing these trails on perilous cliffs. Not all the time, but frequently you were a few steps away from a tumble that would kill you. Sometimes an immediate drop that would kill you. We were in the wilderness so you relieved yourself wherever, and kept the toilet paper with you. No showers either, for 4 days. That shower after the hike was the best shower of my life. I got out of that shower then turned around and showered again.

On night 3, we arrived to camp late, after it was already dark. Our group of about 15 had been slow that day, which was so rich because it was by far my fastest day. Days 1 & 2 we'd been going mostly uphill and everyone was always waiting on me. Day 3 we were going mostly downhill and I ran most of the downhill, leaping across the trail rocks, picking which ones looked flat enough on the fly. Fucking exhilarating stuff. I'm a lot better at dexterity than lung capacity at altitude. But, they were all slow at descending so we reached camp after dark.

To this day, this hike is the hardest thing I've done. Websites will tell you it's moderate difficulty. HA. I'd rather give birth to a child than do that hike again. At least that's over in a day or two, at worst. I trained for this hike. I was doing deadlifts and people would walk into the gym and verbalize how impressed they were. My only explanation is that I didn't handle the altitude adjustment well, although there's a mandatory 2-day adjustment. Not enough for me. I have new appreciation for Frodo and Sam.

It was my friend K that had the idea for the hike. I'm always up for travel so I agreed. And our mutual friend C, from our college days, decided to come with. 

So on night 3, we were all excited about the next morning when we'd get to see the sun rising on Machu Picchu. Our wake time was 3am, and there was a 2-hour hike to get to the sunrise spot. We were also excited because we didn't have very much hike left. It was 10pm and we decided to hit the toilets before sleeping. We grabbed our toilet paper and mini trash bags and went to find the toilets. It was a novelty to even have toilets...

We walked down the mountainside path, and there they were... two toilets, with walls and doors, set against the mountainside. There was about 6-8 feet of ground in front of the toilet area before it dropped into God-knows-where, because none of us had seen any of this in the sunlight and our flashlights didn't shine that far. The toilets were occupied. Two men, squatting, taking shits. There were farting sounds a'plenty and grunts and groans. We could smell everything too. We waited for an abominably long time before I got fed up with it. I'm always one to see the big picture and buck systems that aren't working, and that's what I did here. I just needed to pee, and I had toilet paper and a trash can in my hand, and I'd been peeing where-fucking-ever this whole trek, so why didn't I do that again? The problem was it was too dark to see any brush that was safe to go into... but I was waiting so long I did something rash. I said, "Here," and handed C my flashlight. I went to the area next to the toilets where in the dim light I could see a few large metal bins. I had imagined there'd be a bush there, but there wasn't. But I was committed by that point. My friends were saying how dumb I was being and I'm stubborn. I squatted and did my business. It was dark. No one could see me. Who cared. The whole area smelled like shit already. And I wouldn't be leaving a mess.

As soon as I started peeing, I saw a light swinging further down the trail. Oh fuck, someone was coming. I heard voices. Oh fuck, many people were coming. I hurried as fast as I could, pulled my pants up, stuffed the toilet paper in the bag, and rushed back to my friends. They were standing on the opposite side of the path closest to the cliffside.

That was when, for a reason I will never know, C decided to turn off my flashlight. Cla-Click. K had her flashlight on, but she'd covered it with her hand. There was some light from the toilets but not much.

Still I was confident about where to go. I didn't need light anyway! The people were getting closer, and when they came upon us I wanted them to see 3 women standing, waiting for the toilets, nothing the matter, nothing awry. So I stepped in place beside C, pivoting on my ankle to turn around.

Except I didn't pivot on my ankle. Because there was no ground there.

I'd stepped off the ledge.

I whooshed through a bit of brush and I remember thinking, "I don't know how far down this goes." I also remember thinking, "I might be falling for a long time here."

Fortunately there were no more thoughts and I hit the ground pretty damn quickly. I landed on my hip and went limp. The dirt felt wonderful. I rested my head. I heard my friend K scream: "Jaimie? Are you all right?" And I remember thinking how I had just fallen off a ledge and now I had to say words? Insult to injury. So I just moaned, long and loud. 

I'd fallen on a path approximately 15 feet below. When enough people and flashlights got down to me, I could see how fucking lucky I was that my nearly 6-foot self had fallen in between two stone steps, on regular dirt. Otherwise I'm sure something worse would have happened than the massive bruise I got. 

Here's a pic from a day or two after, when I'd gotten back to the hostel.
    Here's a pic from when I got back to the States. This one is from the side.
    This one is from the back. The bruise wrapped around my hip, lol. 

I wasn't just bruised, I was bleeding too, so the guide had to pull out some pebbles and pour some kind of cauterizing liquid over my thigh. At my lowest weight when I was 21 (several years before this), I still had a lot of extra fat on my thighs despite looking emaciated everywhere else, so thank God for genetically fat thighs I guess.

The hike had already been a massive headache, but that last day sucked. Consolation: Everyone was suddenly super concerned about me and accommodating. Before this, I think they resented how slow I was. So I was a minor celebrity that last day. And Machu Picchu was perfect weather. Maybe I was delirious, but it felt like I'd found Neverland. 

Sometimes I wonder if I should get X-rays, because five years later my right hip hurts whenever I lay down. "The wound will never fully heal. He will carry it for the rest of his life." - Gandalf

As for my friend, if the friendship had been really strong, I probably would have talked through it. (Edit: More on those nuances here.) She also probably would have said something. I feel like it's really obvious, the causality of the situation. But there were other issues, and well, life goes on. Fortunately.
    Hatorianamyja89akritenbrinkCretanBullgguenotweeniegirl
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    @JaimieT GOD damn, those bruises.
    JaimieTMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Holy crap @JaimieT, that looks like it was SO painful. :astonished:
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    So, I am not into drugs and don't have any good drug stories haha. But here's something kind of funny that happened when I was in my early 20s.

One summer back in good old Council Bluffs, Iowa, I think it was 1995, I worked in a bank for the summer off from college.  BTW, writing out this story is funny because it was basically pre-internet times, or at least pre-mainstream internet times, so you weren't constantly connected to people all over the world, and it's funny to think about how provincial we were back then.

Anyway, we had one of those coin machines where people would bring in their piggy banks, we would dump the coins in, it would count them and we would give them cash. If you had anything but US currency, it would spit it out and oftentimes the folks wouldn't want them back for whatever reason, so we threw them into a plastic ice tea pitcher that was sitting there because no one really knew what to do with them. This went on long before I came and the pitcher was pretty full. One time we were preparing for an audit and you can't have ANY loose cash out at a bank, EVER, so the manager said "get rid of that ice tea pitcher full of foreign coin" and we were like "but it's money, we don't want to throw it away" so she said "someone take it home." No one else wanted it it (?!) so I took it. 

Imagine this but full of foreign coins and very heavy.

Most of the coin in the ice tea pitcher was Canadian, of course, since they are our close neighbor and our coins looked very similar at the time (maybe still do). When you live in Iowa and never go anywhere, Canada seems further away than the moon, but my aunt lives in Canada so I figured if we never found another use for it, I would give it to her. So i took it home and we had a grand old time sorting out all the coins. We had about $200 CAD in Canadian coins! I called around and none of our banks would exchange Canadian coin because it was too heavy to make it worthwhile or something. (they would only exchange paper bills). So I was like, OK well next time my aunt is home for Xmas I will give this to her. There was also a small assortment of other foreign coins, which I think I still have somewhere. So I put the $200 worth of Canadian coin in a box and stashed it.

Fast forward to the next spring, I'm not sure what happened, if my aunt didn't come home or if I just didn't give it to her but I still had the box of Canadian coins. But my then-boyfriend and I used to go on little spontaneous road trips all the time around Iowa and nearby states. We were in college in Cedar Falls, IA at the time. So we got out our trusty atlas and looked to see how far it would be to go to Canada. Keep in mind this was before Google Maps lol. So we figured out we could drive to Thunder Bay, Ontario from there and it would take about 8 hours based on how far it was (ominous music playing). We planned to get up on Friday morning and drive up there, cash in our Canadian coins at a bank, spend the night somewhere and then drive back the next day. We were broke college students and had basically no money other than this $200 in CAD coins lol. I mean seriously I think we had like $50 USD. But we were always broke and we saw no flaw in this plan so we figured we would spend our USD to get gas and food on the way up and  then use the Canadian money on the way back down.

So... We couldn't sleep so we set out at like 2 AM. When you drive from Eastern IA to Ontario you basically just take a long highway through Minnesota that's mostly rural but goes through the Twin Cities and then later through Duluth. So we're on the highway in Minnesota at about 4 AM and suddenly a deer basically FLIES in front of my car. As we hit this deer, it then sort of glanced off and flew into the ditch. I think we were lucky that the deer was jumping when we hit it because its motion propelled it away from the car and the car wasn't seriously damaged, it just put out one headlight. Totally driveable. We did stop at the next gas station I saw and asked the (tweaked out looking) attendant if we should report it, and he was like "IDK" and we just kept going haha.

So the story really starts to go sideways when we get to northern Minnesota. If you have never been to Minnesota, it's a very large state, especially from north-south. This was the first weekend in April. So in Iowa, it was spring. In Northern Minnesota, it was still WINTER haha. As we got up near Duluth, and as we made our way from Duluth to Thunder Bay, the road was caked with snow and we couldn't go anywhere near the speed limit. Keep in mind we had been up for probably 24 hours by this point, and the only substances we took to keep us awake being Skittles and Mountain Dew.  I was driving at this point and my boyfriend was crashed out. Not only were we way behind schedule, no sleep, road covered in snow, but it was also a highway that a lot of truckers took that went through a really pretty forested area and also went along Lake Superior. So the remote white snowy roadside with beautiful trees and/or water alongside it was also littered with fresh, bloody roadkill. In my memory there are like hundreds of bloody red animals on the side of the road, but in reality maybe we saw about 10 different spots along that road that morning where some poor animal had lost its life. Remember I already hit a deer at 4 AM, very luckily escaping much damage. So by this time I am bugging out just holding out hope that no more deer are going to cross my path that day haha.

So, we push through, we make it across the border, we get to Thunder Bay towards the end of the business day, and guess what. IT'S GOOD FRIDAY AND ALL THE BANKS ARE CLOSED. They don't close banks on Good Friday in the US haha. I had never been to Canada before and hadn't thought to check their hours. I just assumed banks would be open. So then we are like.... OK what now? We were out of money other than this box of $200 in CAD coin. Obviously we could use it to buy things now since we were in Canada but were we really going to go to a hotel and plunk down like $70 or whatever in Canadian coin for a room? (in retrospect, this would have been the wiser choice, however embarrassing it was, but...)

So we stop at Burger King, sit and count out $10 or whatever in coin for our meal, and hatch a plan. haha We had seen a place along the border that exchanged currency. We somehow really believed that we were going to get home with some money left over so we decided we really wanted USD. So we didn't rent a hotel room with coins, no, dear readers, we turned around and went back to the border. (short drive from Thunder Bay) When we got to the place we had seen, it was kind of a remote backwoods kind of all-purpose business for locals. They had a shop where you could buy clothing (t-shirts, jeans etc), a bar, a restaurant, a gas station, a little market etc. So we go in with our box of $200 of Canadian coin and let them know we would like to exchange it for USD. The coin exchange place was near the bar where a bunch of locals were having their after-work beers. The person working there let us know THEY DON"T TAKE COIN because they don't have a counting machine..... to be continued lol
    JaimieTCretanBullHatorian