Why yes to “Sharp Objects”, but no to “Mindhunter”, Jim and ARon?

walktheskywalkthesky New York
edited July 12 in Other TV
To  start off, I really like the pilot of Sharp Objects.  It’s up my ally. I loved true detective (s1), mindhunter, etc. I remembered listening to a lunch cast and the guys were slamming mindhunter and not even giving it a chance.  If im recalling it correctly, “it’s another cop show.. blah blah”.   Granted the shows aren’t exactly the same but definitely in the same genre.  Not sure they have the time to chime in on this question but maybe you guys have an idea.  Maybe if I can get on the site tomorrow I’ll ask on a new lunch or maybe you guys can copy and paste this for me. Either way I remember discussing last year with some of you how we were surprised the guys didn’t want to discuss Mindhunter.  Either way, I’m glad they are covering Sharp Objects.
Thanks
Matt 

Comments

• I'd check out the podcast itself for that answer. The long and shirt of it is that at this point, the guys believe (as do I for what it's worth) that HBO tends to be an indication of quality while Netflix no longer is. That isn't to say that Netflix is an indication of poor quality, rather that it just isn't a guarantee of good quality. HBO isn't perfect by any stretch, but I've always looked at them as quality over quantity, even if it doesn't seem like that may be around much longer. 
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    They are correct in their intuition of Mindhunter's appeal to them, IMO. I've seen every episode available of both shows. I've followed Bald Move for 7 years. Maybe everyone would prefer they watch the Mindhunter pilot to make their decision, but the decision would be the same. IMO, heh.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Because it's not TV, it's HBO.

Seriously though, I think the instant binge mode of Netflix shows makes it super hard. Plus it's a mini series so it fills a void and we're nearly guaranteed answers by the end.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 12
    I really enjoyed Mindunter, and thought the first episode of Sharp Objects was really promising (have not read the book).

Sharp Objects seems to be a southern gothic story told through an unreliable narrator, and is going to focus in grief and Camille's fucked up relationship with her mother. Reminds me of reading a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Mindhunter, while on the surface about the development of criminal profiling science, is really about American (and specifically male) aggression and violence in a post-Vietnam world, and draws a thick line to where we are today.

So I guess they're both somewhat of a deconstruction of how or society reacts to and is shaped by violence, but they come at it from very different places. I wouldn't expect them to have a huge overlap in audience. I do think Mindhunter shouldn't be dismissed as a run of the mill serial killer show, especially considering Fincher's involvement.

Both shows do also have excellent usage of Led Zeppelin.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I have a hunch and it rhymes with Shamy Shmadams.
    rkcrawfTxSandMan
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I haven’t gotten around to watching Sharp Objects yet, but a lot of Mindhunter was a snooze, in my opinion. Take out the performance of that one dude and what do you have? Zero chemistry between Jonathan Groff and the woman who played his girlfriend (not to mention his awkward, stilted acting) and long stretches of, well, nothing really. It just wasn’t that good a show. 
    phoenyx1023JaimieT
  • Entirely speculation on my part, but if you have to make a bet on a show, which would you choose? Consider the network, the stars, the writing, and the release format. HBO > Netflix in quality. Amy Adams > the guy playing Holden. Author of Gone Girl > no idea. Weekly release > Binge.

I like Mindhunter a lot. I think the premise is interesting, and tho Holden leaves something to be desired (a trend with this character name), his co-stars are all compelling. But once Mindhunter hit the stream, it was already out in the wild. The people most interested in that genre probably consumed it relatively quickly and moved on.

I also have a medium amount of faith that the quality of Netflix shows won't decline after S1. While that happens a lot with TV in general, it seems to be a particular trend with Netflix (exceptions I know of are maybe Stranger Things and Narcos). With Sharp Objects, as said in the cast, it's essentially a one (or 8) night stand. No strings attached.
    phoenyx1023
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 12
    rkcrawf said:
    Entirely speculation on my part, but if you have to make a bet on a show, which would you choose? Consider the network, the stars, the writing, and the release format. HBO > Netflix in quality. Amy Adams > the guy playing Holden. Author of Gone Girl > no idea. Weekly release > Binge.

I like Mindhunter a lot. I think the premise is interesting, and tho Holden leaves something to be desired (a trend with this character name), his co-stars are all compelling. But once Mindhunter hit the stream, it was already out in the wild. The people most interested in that genre probably consumed it relatively quickly and moved on.

I also have a medium amount of faith that the quality of Netflix shows won't decline after S1. While that happens a lot with TV in general, it seems to be a particular trend with Netflix (exceptions I know of are maybe Stranger Things and Narcos). With Sharp Objects, as said in the cast, it's essentially a one (or 8) night stand. No strings attached.

Yup, this is why people are wary of AT&T trying to turn HBO into Netflix.
  • edited July 12
    MrX said:
    rkcrawf said:
    Entirely speculation on my part, but if you have to make a bet on a show, which would you choose? Consider the network, the stars, the writing, and the release format. HBO > Netflix in quality. Amy Adams > the guy playing Holden. Author of Gone Girl > no idea. Weekly release > Binge.

Yup, this is why people are wary of AT&T trying to turn HBO into Netflix.
    Not even going there yet. Too soon, and I have a mother of a rant building up. But totally agree.
  • Mindhunter came out in October 2017 and BM was covering American Horror Story, Mr Robot and The Walking Dead (may be more, but that was via a quick lookup). I think Jim or both weren’t interested in first glance, but they may have watched after it premiered (it’s been brought up on a few lunches).

Unfortunately with shows on NetFlix, it’s much harder to cast since they all come out on once (ARon mentioned what they see from the different style of podcast releaases on last lunch). With Sharp Objects it happened to fall into a place where they don’t have many shows to cover “live” (timing was real good) and it’s only 8 episodes, so time investment wouldn’t be as much. 
    I want to start a post that says "Yes to Sharp Objects but no to Big Little Lies?" tbh.
    MrXDee
  • JaimieT said:
    I want to start a post that says "Yes to Sharp Objects but no to Big Little Lies?" tbh.
    Have they mentioned if they'll cover BLL season 2?
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    Thanks guys. I get the Netflix thing but it just seemed like they were dismissing the show for its trailers without giving it a shot. I realize they are super busy but just giving it a chance I thought was warranted.  So far they claim to be jumping in on SO because of the talent which is fine and yeah HBO.. 
    anyways thought this to be good conversation. 
    Thanks
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I did watch the first episode of Mindhunter. I'm not sure what makes it stand out from the crowd. In Sharp Objects, there is a lot to sink my teeth into; small town rural midwestern life, troubled familial relationships, a tinge of paranormal, etc. All of those things I feel like are in my wheelhouse.  And, you know, Amy Addams. 
    KingKobra
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:
    Have they mentioned if they'll cover BLL season 2?

I'm not excited for season 2 anyway, so I haven't paid attention.
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    I did watch the first episode of Mindhunter. I'm not sure what makes it stand out from the crowd. In Sharp Objects, there is a lot to sink my teeth into; small town rural midwestern life, troubled familial relationships, a tinge of paranormal, etc. All of those things I feel like are in my wheelhouse.  And, you know, Amy Addams. 
    Hey thanks for reply !  I guess I didn’t realize you guys were not interested after watching an episode.  I guess I have or had a lot to sink my teeth into for both shows.  Of course I’m glad you guys cover for the most part what you enjoy.  Appreciate what you do and Thanks.
  • rkcrawf said:

I think the big missing factor in Mindhunter's favor is that David Fincher directed 4 episodes and was heavily involved with the entire production. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I think Fincher is easily one of the top 3 directors working right now and whenever he enters the tv landscape (i.e House of Cards pilot), I think it's immediately worth paying attention to. 

That being said, I can see why it's difficult for Jim and Aron to cover it especially considering the binge model. 
    rkcrawf