Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    BoJack Horseman snubbed yet again, smh. 
    MrX
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    No Mr. Robot, list is illegitimate.
    rkcrawfCretanBullElisaPS
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Still no Leftovers so I will continue to boycott.

Yes, I realize the boycott will last forever.
    TravisMichellerkcrawfCapeGabehisdudeness915Elisa
  • Glad Ted Danson got the nomination, but except for Maya Rudolph for a guest spot no one else from the Good Place and it didn't get a best comedy nomination - that's forking bullshirt!
    TravisElisa
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Even though they probably won’t win, I’m very much rooting for Bill Hader and Vanessa Kirby. My two favorite performances of the year.
    Doctor_NickChinaski
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    These nominations reflect Season 2 of Westworld?
    Elisa
  • @SomeBiscuit I dont know where the date starts and ends but  i think Twin Peaks was up for a couple last year. If I remember correctly Kyle was up for best Actor in a mini series and lost.
  • edited July 12
    @Jovial_Falcon Nope, the deadline was May 31 for last year - you had to have aired at least half of your season by then to be eligible for the 2017 awards, otherwise you were eligible for 2018 instead. Twin Peaks had only aired 4 of 18 episodes by that point.

Case in point, it *did* get a few nominations this year (directing being the most prominent example, along with a few of the more technical categories), but was completely shut out in all the marquee categories - not in best limited series, nothing for Kyle Maclachlan, nothing for Laura Dern.
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • edited July 12
    I want to live in the alternate universe where Michael Cera got a guest actor nomination for Wally Brando.
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • I wish I knew for which season these nominations are. Like, the Americans S5 was meh. The last season was pretty good. But it's been ages since Ozark S1 was out. I think I saw it before I saw S1 of Stranger Things.
  • June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018
    Eligibility period for Emmy entries

Source: https://www.emmys.com/news/emmys-calendar/emmy-awards-industry-calendar
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I wonder how the fact that Netflix beat HBO in Emmy nominations for first time ever will affect the AT&T bombs revealed this week? My guess is that AT&T is just looking to milk the HBO cow and won't really care about quality. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    My choices:

Outstanding Drama Series
    The Handmaid’s Tale

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
    Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
    Claire Foy, The Crown
    Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale (tie)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
    Matt Smith, The Crown

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
    Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
    Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
    Gerald McRaney, This Is Us (tie)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
    Diana Rigg, Game of Thrones

Outstanding Comedy Series
    black-ish

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
    Anthony Anderson, black-ish

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
    Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
    Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
    Bill Hader, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
    Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Television Movie
    Black Mirror: USS Callister

Outstanding Limited Series
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Edie Falco, Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Edgar Ramirez, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Judith Light, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Reality Competition
    Top Chef

Outstanding Variety/Sketch Series
    Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Variety/Talk Series
    The Late Late Show with James Corden

cdriveDummy
  • The Walkiing Dead got nominated??? I know it’s Red Machete and it’s the short-form comedy/drama category, but you know AMC will be crowing about the Emmy Nominated Walking Dead!
    Elisa
  • @SomeBiscuit thank you for clarifying. I guess it was the Golden Globes earlier this year I was thinking of.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    No leftovers no Twin Peaks! oh please i'm over it

My choices based off that top link:

The Handmaid's Tale
    Ed Harris
    Elisabeth Moss
    David Harbour
    Ann Dowd
    Cameron Britton
    Diana Rigg
    Barry
    Larry David
    Lily Tomlin
    Tituss Burgess
    Megan Mullaly
    Bill Hader
    Tina Fey
    Black Mirror: USS Callister
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
    Jesse Plemons
    Sarah Paulson
    Finn Wittrock
    Top Chef
    Drunk History
    The Late Late Show with James Corden
    Going back over the list, I'm trying to figure out how Black Mirror's "USS Callister" episode is categorized as a TV Movie.  It's an episode of a limited series.  Odd.
    ElisaCapeGabe
  • Michelle said:
    Going back over the list, I'm trying to figure out how Black Mirror's "USS Callister" episode is categorized as a TV Movie.  It's an episode of a limited series.  Odd.
    "San Junipero" won as a TV movie last year ... Netflix figured out how to get them submitted that way - I guess since none of the episodes in a season are technically part of the same story?
    MichelleCapeGabe
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 12
    Still no Leftovers so I will continue to boycott.

Yes, I realize the boycott will last forever.
    You beat me to my Eva Green joke. Ha!

@cdrive Why is Lisa Simpson trying to tell me that my whole life is a lie? Why?
    MattyWeaves
  • How is Jimmi Simpson on this list but not Tony Hopkins?
    edited July 12
    @Travis haha mine too!  I guess I've  softened in my late 30s.  I'm not the badass rebel who was above everything like in my 20s.  In my 20s I'd be like "Fuck the Oscars! Fuck the Emmy's! What are you watching? Fuck that! What are you listening to? Fuck all that too!"

TravisElisa
  • cdrive said:
    @Travis haha mine too!  I guess I've  softened in my late 30s.  I'm not the badass rebel who was above everything like in my 20s.  In my 20s I'd be like "Fuck the Oscars! Fuck the Emmy's! What are you watching? Fuck that! What are you listening to? Fuck all that too!"

Ha! Yeah, I've changed in that way too. I remember when my sister made a crack about me being a snob in my early 20s and my the rest of my family laughed in that sort of "it is known" sort of a way. I'm glad to say that I rethought a lot of things after that moment. There is a degree of that instinct still left in me (I suspect there always will), but it comes from a much more humble place now.
    cdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 12
    Hey, nomination for Tony Clifton as a producer (the Jim and Andy documentary). That's really fun.
    MattyWeavesJovial_Falcon
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Well, Tony was contractually obligated to be part of the whole thing so no surprise he probably paid someone off to be nominated.
    Travis
    Dayum hi-five @Michelle !
    we really see eye to eye on most categories!
    Michelle
  • Well, Tony was contractually obligated to be part of the whole thing so no surprise he probably paid someone off to be nominated.
    Wonder if they have any shot of winning. I may have to watch after all. If he won... oh man.

Also, best title ever!
    cdrive said:
    Dayum hi-five @Michelle !
    we really see eye to eye on most categories!

cdrive
  • edited July 13
    Alright, may as well do mine, picking only things I've actually seen and therefore leading to the odd dubious result or category that I can't actually pick anything from:

(The Handmaid's TaleKilling EveMindhunterBarry, and The Good Place are all on "need to watch in the future" status for me, so this list could look very different had I watched them)

Outstanding Drama Series - The Americans
    Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Matthew Rhys, The Americans
    Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series - Keri Russell, The Americans
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - David Harbour, Stranger Things
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Thandie Newton, Westworld
    Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Jimmi Simpson, Westworld (this was the only thing I saw in this category, which is the only reason this guy gets picked - sorry, Jimmi)
    Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Diana Rigg, Game of Thrones (same as above)

Outstanding Comedy Series - Atlanta
    Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Donald Glover, Atlanta
    Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Pamela Adlon, Better Things
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Zazie Beetz, Atlanta
    Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series - Sterling K. Brown, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series - Jane Lynch, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (again, only thing I saw here)

Outstanding Television Movie - ??? (I didn't see any of these)
    Outstanding Limited Series - The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
    Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie - Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
    Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie - ??? (didn't see any of these)
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie - Finn Whitrock, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie - Judith Light, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Reality Competition - ??? (didn't see any)
    Outstanding Variety/Sketch Series - ??? (didn't see any)
    Outstanding Variety/Talk Series - ??? (didn't see any)

Outstanding Awards Show Snub - The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, for Twin Peaks: The ReturnHalt and Catch FireMr. RobotBoJack Horseman, and god knows what else I'm forgetting. At least they finally stopped nominating Modern Family.

• Something is wrong if Jason Bateman is nominated for Ozark, but not Jared Harris for The Terror. Bateman, as always, was entertaining and showed some range. Jared Harris put on a clinic. 
    Elisacdrive
  • I hope Atlanta wins every award. It deserves it. 
    Elisa