‪Joss Whedon returning to TV with epic HBO sci-fi series

2»

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Giovanni said:
    I gotta say, based on the description this sounds absolutely terrible. 
    I think you could probably say that about lots of shows or movie concepts. Aintitcoolnews (not that they are the pinnacle of entertainment journalism) had reported about Brokeback Mountain, and it just sounded laughable. It turned out to be (in my opinion) one of the most gorgeous movies ever made. But based on the premise alone, it did not paint that picture at all. Execution is everything. 
    ElisaShum
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    JaimieT said:
    I don't really know Joss Whedon's work but I'm jumping on this train just because the premise of this show sounds cool. But this talk of genre makes me think... Genre is bendy and kind of fusion-y nowadays anyways. So it could be a "prestige drama" as well as the other stuff? That's kind of what GoT does. It's fantasy, based on a popular fantasy book series, but the drama side of the show is so solid that it has a wider audience than your typical fantasy thing. 

Yeah, but that's GRRM vs. Joss Whedon. You definitely aren't familiar with JW's work. :tongue: GRRM can write characters, story, lore, and dialogue circles around JW.

JW is like the Stephen King of light fantasy TV.
    People within the fantasy world think highly of GRRM, but no one else knew what Game of Thrones even was before the show, and to me it sounds like the show has condensed and refined his writing quite a bit. You still have to be a real fantasy enthusiast to care about the books, IMO. It's not like they reached a level of literary accomplishment similar to an Emmy for a TV show.

I'm not totally sure what you're arguing. I think too many other factors start to come in play when comparing a TV/movie writer to a novelist in 2018, one of which, as @Shum said, is that the TV/movie writer appears to be more prolific and resonate.

Edit: I also bought Game of Thrones at 18 because my college friends loved it so much. Didn't finish it, but GRRM was being mentioned in the same breath as Tolkien. "Oh, you like Tolkien? Try GRRM." Tolkien isn't exactly obscure either.
  • edited July 2018
    JaimieT said:

Yo JaimieT, why you hating on Stephen King?  Sure, he may be a bit overly-prolific but I challenge you to read Salem's Lot alone on a dark night ;-)
    weeniegirl
  • edited July 2018

Chinaski said:
    i'm curious what the consensus would be if it read..

J.J. Abrams is about to make a spectacular return to TV.

The Alias and Lost creator, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens director, has an “epic” new sci-fi series that was just greenlit by HBO.

Titled The Nevers, the series is described as “an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.”

I'd be more excited if the director was Wes Anderson and the "Victorian women" were actually the male cast from The Life Aquatic, just in Victorian drag.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    JaimieT said:

Yo JaimieT, why you hating on Stephen King?  Sure, he may be a bit overly-prolific but I challenge you to read Salem's Lot alone on a dark night ;-)

I wasn't.
  • JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

I wasn't.
    My bad JaimieT!
    JaimieT
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.