Sharp Objects Ep. 2 - "Dirt" - No Book Spoilers!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writer: Gillian Flynn
KingKobra

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Don't fuck with tarantulas in mason jars people. It never ends well.
    groovydooley
  • My stomach dropped when the lady in white walked out of the woods. 
    russkelly
  • Dummy said:
    My stomach dropped when the lady in white walked out of the woods. 
    Yea, I don't like it. I was equally anxious when that kid's mom emerged from the dark to the screen door.
    Dummyrusskelly
  • Intro music was dopeeee
    MichelleShumcdriveKingKobra
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    I feel like the killer is 100% a woman. Especially after the Sheriff insisted it was a man. Bad women is a Flynn thing too. 

I know I missed a lot of stuff on the first watch, but here’s a few things I caught:

• Before going in to the wake (at the house) Camille is scratching the word “Scared” into her arm. It is also scratched into Camille’s driver door. The next time the door is shown, it says “Sacred.”
    • Same scene, the license plates read “Tangle” “Punsih” and (I think) “Bundle”
    • The catty women at the wake ask Camille if she has any children and she avoids the question.  Later, Amma’s friend makes a comment about Camille being old enough to be their mother. Camille told her boss she wasn’t allowed to leave her house for a year after Marian died.  Is it a red herring or could Camille be Amma’s mother?
    • directly after the opening credits in a series of smash cuts you see a girl standing on a red caboose with blood on her face. A few seconds later, you see the same girl standing in Camilles bedroom next to a mirror. Her face is clean in person, but bloodied in the reflection. Later in the episode, while driving away from the kid on the big wheel being scolded by his father, Camille passes the caboose and you can see the same girl stepping backwards onto the caboose with blood on her face, then smash cut to the same scene from the beginning next to the mirror.  I don’t recognise her, but she is credited as “Alice” on IMDB. 
    • There are pigs in the opening credits. 
    • The word Camille is scratching into her tummy at the end is “Dirt.” (The episode title). The word you see on her arm at the end of episode 1 is “Vanish,” also the episode title. 
    kingbee67rkcrawfdaniellemathiesonsaraej319Michelle
  • It seems like there are spoilers everywhere, I checked the series Wikipedia for some cast information and got some yet to happen character descriptions.

If anyone was wondering, this mirror girl is played by Sydney Sweeney who recently played Eden on The Handmaid's Tale.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @JoshTheBlack - I agree, the killer being a woman was confirmed for me this episode. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I know it's kind of pointless to make predictions when the answers are already out there, but I'm betting it's the Sheriff. The novelty "Wanted - Dead or Alive" picture with the Sheriff's picture sure was prominently placed in their first meeting and everything that happened with him in last night's episode sure seemed killerly to me.
  • This show turns my anxiety up to 100.. Camille is drunk driving for 70% of the show looking at everything but the freaking road! Someone has to get dinked by her Volvo soon.

It's hard to catch everything in one watch, but I really liked the end of the breakfast scene where the housekeeper rushes to put away the 50 knives on the counter as Amma (I think) looks at them longingly. It just feels like everything is foreshadowing and we could dive an extra 5 layers deeper soaking up all the details. Definitely loving the smell of the psychosphere on this one

rkcrawf
  • TxSandMan said:
    ...the end of the breakfast scene where the housekeeper rushes to put away the 50 knives on the counter as Amma (I think) looks at them longingly.

I noticed that look as well. 
  • rkcrawf said:
    TxSandMan said:
    ...the end of the breakfast scene where the housekeeper rushes to put away the 50 knives on the counter as Amma (I think) looks at them longingly.

I noticed that look as well. 
    Also, when Camille is cutting the apple and her mom takes the knife from her, I got the implication there was a time when she wasn't allowed use sharp objects. It's interesting that self-harm seems to run in the family.
  • Hunkulese said:
    I know it's kind of pointless to make predictions when the answers are already out there, but I'm betting it's the Sheriff. The novelty "Wanted - Dead or Alive" picture with the Sheriff's picture sure was prominently placed in their first meeting and everything that happened with him in last night's episode sure seemed killerly to me.
    True but it's still kinda fun if you don't know the book spoilers. The stop sign scene with the pliers seemed to exist only to get the viewers to suspect him. Yet otherwise this show seems to be telling us the culprit is a woman via everyone being so dismissive of the notion, so much so that the only way this show would surprise me would be if the culprit actually is a man, with no one else involved. 

To that end there's still not much to go on but Amma is a complete sociopath so nothing would surprise me about her. 

Oh and wtf is the deal with this show and alcohol? Almost every single character is a drunk, so much so that I actually find it distracting. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    ghm3 said:
    Hunkulese said:
    True but it's still kinda fun if you don't know the book spoilers. The stop sign scene with the pliers seemed to exist only to get the viewers to suspect him. Yet otherwise this show seems to be telling us the culprit is a woman via everyone being so dismissive of the notion, so much so that the only way this show would surprise me would be if the culprit actually is a man, with no one else involved. 

To that end there's still not much to go on but Amma is a complete sociopath so nothing would surprise me about her. 

Oh and wtf is the deal with this show and alcohol? Almost every single character is a drunk, so much so that I actually find it distracting. 
    There is a TON of drinking in this show.  I'm from the south and have been all over the south for work and just travel, but I don't know if I've ever seen people booze it up like this in places that aren't the Keys, New Orleans and Charleston/Savannah.

It was weird to see all the booze on the table during the lunch after the funeral. There aren't a ton of Catholics in the south, but maybe Mizzu south of St. Louis is really different. 

I agree though, there is so much of it, its very distracting to me. 
    ghm3 said:
    Hunkulese said:

It's not just everyone dismissing the idea of a woman that makes it viable.

1. There's a spider in the opening credits spinning its prey, like they're dancing. There's also a scene in the opening credits of Camille's mother dancing with Camille's stepfather. 
    2. I don't know how true this is, but there's enough killer female spiders that spiders have come to symbolize a feminine threat. From dreamdictionary.com, "The spider is also symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life." (And I didn't pull that out of my ass, I'm actually weird enough to have dabbled in dream dictionaries for over a decade now.)
    3. The victim's 4-post bed was decorated in butterflies, both the sheer curtains and the pillows. However, there was a spider hanging in the middle of it. A spider in her bed. And if that wasn't obvious enough, she also plays with spiders in her free time.

Amma isn't a sociopath, I don't think. I'll do another post about that.

That's a good point about alcohol. The town being drunk probably has something thematically to do with the town ridding the pool of rocks. They are determined not to focus on the real problem, whatever that is.
  • I hope this show finds the fine line of the drunk unreliable story teller disorientation with the jump cuts. Its getting close to the too many point for me. While I'm still trying to figure out what I just saw they are throwing more at me. The Comcast playback control is not the greatest and I'm not about to start the rewind and pause game for this show. Westworld has broken my ability to work for a show!

If Adora was my mother I'd probably drink a ton too.
    edited July 2018
    Observations: 

• I'm convinced the killer is a woman, based on things I've already discussed in this thread.
    • Camille's friend, whose name I can't remember and don't want to look up because of spoilers... the older woman who is the only person who has been "genuinely nice"? I thought she was overweight in the last episode, because of the kaftan I guess, but she looks great. I think the pride she takes in her appearance is a point in favor of her being the killer. Also her apathy during the funeral. She's my favorite character to watch, and while she was flirting with Camille during the reception at the bereaved's house, there was something she did or said that made me say, "Gay!" out loud, haha. My gaydar cried out. It was something she said about another woman who wasn't Camille, IIRC.
    • Did you notice how perfect the victim's teeth were? My dental X-rays are a fucking mess in comparison, and I've had a lot of work done.
    • In observing Camille's family more, I think Camille has always been the scapegoat daughter. Her younger sister was the golden child, just as Amma is now. (Here's a good write-up of the scapegoat v. golden child in a narcissist's home.) The thing about the golden child in psychology... they aren't perfect, they face their own hardships. They receive abuse, just a different kind. But from what I've researched, they naturally take after their parent a lot more (which is why the parent attaches to them so strongly). Having a scapegoat helps unite a dysfunctional family. Amma threw Camille under the bus at the end of the episode, playing along with their mother's scapegoating of Camille, and Camille responded childishly to that, getting annoyed as though it was personal... which is totally understandable. I don't mean that in a judgy way. I just mean I don't think it was personal. Amma is young and she has to act this way in order to survive. Disagreeing with her mother would be a hell she's had no experience with, and silently disagreeing with her mother is too risky. Better to express agreement and move on. I don't see this as disordered behavior; I see it as a victim trying to survive. I do think she's a burgeoning narcissist, but I don't think the dark side has consumed her yet.
    • The one thing that perplexes me, in a good way, is Camille's mother. If it weren't for Camille's own sister being a victim, Camille's mother would be the primary suspect in my eyes. So I still have Camille's mother as a suspect, with a caveat that there's an explanation for why Camille's sister got mixed into this. Maybe it's one of those cases where there are two killers and they're looking for one. Oh wait, it just dawned on me, did Camille's sister die of natural causes? That changes things.
    • Is Camille's body a metaphor for the town? Covered up, nothing to see here, but all this pain and rage beneath.
    • I so strongly identified with the scene where Amma was asking Camille for help with the alcohol. As the black sheep (and/or scapegoat) of my family, I've been a go-to for this too. And you get some kind of sad pleasure out of at least helping their lives to be easier. But of course they'll high road you later when it suits them. You have to be very careful... Bad parents turn siblings against each other.
    • I'm almost positive Camille is not the killer now, which is a relief.

Main suspect last week: Camille's stepfather
    Main suspect this week: Camille's older lady friend
    telephoneofmadnessghm3ShumKingKobra
  • edited July 2018
    @JaimieT I thought we were supposed to infer from last week that Camille's seizure/episode was the night she died. Not sure if it was true, but someone made that suggestion. 

At this point, I won't research it either bc of spoilers.

Edit: Amma limit my shortlist of suspects.
    JaimieT
    rkcrawf said:
    @JaimieT I thought we were supposed to infer from last week that Camille's seizure/episode was the night she died. Not sure if it was true, but someone made that suggestion. 

If Amma did the current one, who did the last one? Didn't it happen before Amma was born? I can't remember, and yeah, WE DARE NOT RESEARCH. ;) Maybe Camille/Amma's mother did the last one.
  • JaimieT said:
    • The one thing that perplexes me, in a good way, is Camille's mother. If it weren't for Camille's own sister being a victim, Camille's mother would be the primary suspect in my eyes. So I still have Camille's mother as a suspect, with a caveat that there's an explanation for why Camille's sister got mixed into this. Maybe it's one of those cases where there are two killers and they're looking for one. Oh wait, it just dawned on me, did Camille's sister die of natural causes? That changes things.
    I don't think Camille's sister's death has been explained, but I think the gasping fit she was having in the first episode, and the hospital bed in her bedroom, imply that she died from some kind of sickness.
    ghm3
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:

If Amma did the current one, who did the last one? Didn't it happen before Amma was born? I can't remember, and yeah, WE DARE NOT RESEARCH. ;) Maybe Camille/Amma's mother did the last one.
    I thought Ann died only a year before?
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieT said:
    ghm3 said:
    Hunkulese said:

1. There's a spider in the opening credits spinning its prey, like they're dancing. There's also a scene in the opening credits of Camille's mother dancing with Camille's stepfather. 
    2. I don't know how true this is, but there's enough killer female spiders that spiders have come to symbolize a feminine threat. From dreamdictionary.com, "The spider is also symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life." (And I didn't pull that out of my ass, I'm actually weird enough to have dabbled in dream dictionaries for over a decade now.)
    3. The victim's 4-post bed was decorated in butterflies, both the sheer curtains and the pillows. However, there was a spider hanging in the middle of it. A spider in her bed. And if that wasn't obvious enough, she also plays with spiders in her free time.

That's a good point about alcohol. The town being drunk probably has something thematically to do with the town ridding the pool of rocks. They are determined not to focus on the real problem, whatever that is.

Yeah this reminded me of that Jake Gyllenhaal movie Enemy. 

I read Amma completely differently. Everything about her seems calculated rather than emotional. She even hid who she was from Camille when first meeting in order to hold an advantage over her while sizing her up. 
  • JaimieT said:

• In observing Camille's family more, I think Camille has always been the scapegoat daughter. Her younger sister was the golden child, just as Amma is now. (Here's a good write-up of the scapegoat v. golden child in a narcissist's home.) The thing about the golden child in psychology... they aren't perfect, they face their own hardships. They receive abuse, just a different kind. But from what I've researched, they naturally take after their parent a lot more (which is why the parent attaches to them so strongly). Having a scapegoat helps unite a dysfunctional family. Amma threw Camille under the bus at the end of the episode, playing along with their mother's scapegoating of Camille, and Camille responded childishly to that, getting annoyed as though it was personal... which is totally understandable. I don't mean that in a judgy way. I just mean I don't think it was personal. Amma is young and she has to act this way in order to survive. Disagreeing with her mother would be a hell she's had no experience with, and silently disagreeing with her mother is too risky. Better to express agreement and move on. I don't see this as disordered behavior; I see it as a victim trying to survive. I do think she's a burgeoning narcissist, but I don't think the dark side has consumed her yet.
    If Camille's sister had a chronic illness, I can totally see why she was Camille's mother's "golden child", because one of my dark triad family members is like an illness-seeking missile. She loves to latch onto people who have serious/terminal illnesses because:

• The targets are grateful for the help and/or too weak to challenge her dominating behavior.
    • It allows her to play the martyr/saint and be told what a wonderful help she is being.
    • She gets to steal attention from the target's visitors.
    • She gets to remind everyone how irrelevant their problems are compared to poor so-and-so.
    • I think she actually enjoys watching them suffer.
    I'll have to re-listen to the podcast to get the names of these characters. I'm too scared to look them up on the internet because spoilers.
    ghm3
  • JaimieT said:

If Camille's sister had a chronic illness, I can totally see why she was Camille's mother's "golden child", because one of my dark triad family members is like an illness-seeking missile. She loves to latch onto people who have serious/terminal illnesses because:

• The targets are grateful for the help and/or too weak to challenge her dominating behavior.
    • It allows her to play the martyr/saint and be told what a wonderful help she is being.
    • She gets to steal attention from the target's visitors.
    • She gets to remind everyone how irrelevant their problems are compared to poor so-and-so.
    • I think she actually enjoys watching them suffer.
    I'll have to re-listen to the podcast to get the names of these characters. I'm too scared to look them up on the internet because spoilers.
    Have you seen Mommy Dead and Dearest on HBO? That doc will turn your stomach.

So these are the seemingly relevant character names:

Adora - Camille's mother
    Alan - Adora's husband
    Amma - Camille's half sister (daughter??)
    Jackie - Camille's image-obsessed alcoholic (as if that narrows anything down) friend
    Willis - out of town detective
    Ann - first victim 
    Natalie - second victim
    Frank - Camille's boss/ guy that digs up dino DNA for Jurassic Park

JaimieTjohnnytruanttelephoneofmadnessTxSandMan
    edited July 2018
    ghm3 said:
    JaimieT said:
    ghm3 said:
    Hunkulese said:

I read Amma completely differently. Everything about her seems calculated rather than emotional. She even hid who she was from Camille when first meeting in order to hold an advantage over her while sizing her up. 

I'm not arguing she's a good person, but why does she have any reason to believe she can trust Camille? I did add another post that examines her more. "in order to hold an advantage over" is guessing at motivation.
  • At the moment my money is on Adora being behind the killings, just because she is the psychopathic elephant in the room. But maybe the husband is helping her pull teeth, because apparently women can't pull teeth (female dentists take note). When I saw her at the end in her gown, holding Amma, I thought, "The woman in white!" although I think the gown was actually light blue.

Classic Adora in this episode:

• The insane, childish grabbing of Camille's notebook and pen during the funeral.
    • Berating Camille for snooping in Natalie's room, while simultaneously snooping in Natalie's room.
    • Demanding to know where Camille was, then cutting her off mid-explanation by saying "I don't want to know".
    • Telling Camille to not make the family look bad, but when Camille walks into Natalie's house I'm pretty sure I heard Adora saying to somebody in the background something like, "and then that bitch just walks in here..."
    JaimieT
  • I like Jaimie's theory that Jackie is the killer because it seems to fit with Dwight's theory that the killer is always the person you most medium suspect.  

Also I can't even with this sewing needle stuff. I started watching The Knick and I can handle all the gross surgery scenes just fine, but watching someone put a needle under their finger nail is way over the line!
    JaimieT
  • Randomr:
    The look that Amma gives to Camille when she’s nestled in her mom’s arms after having that ‘fit’. Amma is working Adora and knows what buttons to push to get her to play in her favor. 
    Camille sees that.  
    ghm3
  • JaimieT said:
    ghm3 said:

I'm not arguing she's a good person, but why does she have any reason to believe she can trust Camille? I did add another post that examines her more. "in order to hold an advantage over" is guessing at motivation.

Well yeah of course I am, it's just my interpretation, everything about her seems fake. They met twice in public without ever telling her who she is, and when asked why she just says she can be shy. Except there's nothing shy about her. She's the one that started talking to Camille when she arrived at the search scene, a shy person wouldn't just strike up conversation with a stranger like that. So I see no reason to believe her answer, and can't think of any other better explanation other than to get a feel for what she's like without revealing who she is. 

I also think her asking Camille for money in the convenience store was a calculated manipulation to build trust, just like she was manipulating Adora at the end with the tantrum. 

I like Jackie as a suspect as far as motive, but she seems wildly inept, I think she'd need an accomplice but that muddies things a bit. I don't really have any specific suspects yet, but I think what Amma's friend said about none of the victims being "cool" is the most important information yet. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 2018
    With all of the talk of spiders, and the license plate that read 'TAN GLE', I'm reminded of the very familiar quote:  "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."  It's a pretty obvious metaphor for the entire story.  But that leads me to think, *who* is bein deceitful?  Who appears to be one thing but is really another?  

Also, why exactly is Adora such a cold bitch to Camille??? I can see being upset that you haven't talked to your daughter in a long time, and putting up a short-lived wall in your anger, but eventually that wall crumbles and you make up with one another.  Adora is just a bitch to her 24/7 all the time.  There's no crumbling wall. There's just a big thick wall made of stone cold bitch.

One last thing - at the end of the episode, Camille states that Amma is very upset because she just saw two of her friends murdered.  Are we talking Ann and Natalie, or was it the two girls she was with at the store earlier when Camille saw them and gave Amma money for the Sprite?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The drinking is distracting me as well, as I mentioned in the previous thread. In all honesty I’m wagering that it’s a sort of sloppy way to bring characters to give frank conversations with one another. I’m not saying the writing is bad or anything, I just think it seems to be the go to for bringing the different players into each other’s orbit and discuss things.