Who Is America?

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
this was brought up in the trailers thread but think it should get a discussion of it's own. thoughts?

Comments

• Awesome 1st episode. The insanity of our gun culture is portrayed perfectly in this episode. What a bunch of nut jobs
  • edited July 18
    I thought the poop artist bit was stretched a little thin, but the NPR & Isreali characters more than made up for it. Seeing the shit Cohen got those politicians to read off a teleprompter was hilarious.
  • I thought it was both funny and frightening. If anything everyone getitng upset about being duped (outside of Joe Walsh) gave this show added buzz. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I find Cohen hard to watch, his cring factor is off the charts for me. I’m also not sure if I believe every thing that happens. He might use editing to do some things, I don’t know but I’ve watched him on and off. I hope to see both sides of the political landscape taken for the ride. I’m glad that he does what he does tho. Also I’m disappointed that he isn’t playing Freddy Mercury. I’m not gonna watch that movie now.
    Dee
  • kingbee67 said:
    I find Cohen hard to watch, his cring factor is off the charts for me. I’m also not sure if I believe every thing that happens. He might use editing to do some things, I don’t know but I’ve watched him on and off. I hope to see both sides of the political landscape taken for the ride. I’m glad that he does what he does tho. Also I’m disappointed that he isn’t playing Freddy Mercury. I’m not gonna watch that movie now.
    I think Rami Malek is going to kill it as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody.  I really don't think they could have cast that role any better.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @letrbuck2006 Malek is playing the part which is fine. The part I find bad is I heard the members of Queen have micro managed the film to be a fluff piece. 
    letrbuck2006
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    kingbee67 said:
    I can’t watch him at all.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I am so much the audience for this sort of thing. I'm fascinated with the little things he does to look real. Like mispronounce "feces" or after a long line of imbecilic statements suddenly not know an answer. The dolphin one was perfect: "I don't ask." 

The art lady went on long, but that was the most interesting to me because I could see myself getting trapped in that. When I'm talking with someone, I'm SO into whatever they're saying, giving them positive feedback, keeping them talking. My discomfort is secondary. Which can be bad, but that's how I can be sometimes, as long as it remains a "respectful" conversation (ie, no touching, hostility, etc). It's only later that I'll think, "WTF did I just listen to." I wouldn't have gone as far as she did at the end, donating her pubes, but I don't fucking work in an art museum; that's not my thing. If it were my thing, IDK, maybe. The cameras though, I'd like to think I'd snap out of it.

But maybe this is my over-empathy over-empathizing with this woman here LOL.

The truth is I don't think any of us can know what we'd do until it happened. The instinct to be nice, with many of us, is overwhelming.

I also really loved the Trump delegate in the fancy house. "Don't judge," when her husband tried to shush Cohen going into period talk. They reminded me of my Trump-loving relatives. Very, very nice people, yet quick to believe that liberals are complete idiots. Cohen mentioned some program that liberals tried to introduce to the government, ostensibly in support of it IIRC, and she just went right into expressing disapproval (shaking her head). 
    darwinfeeshy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    The first parts of the episodes were pretty bad.

but the Kindsrguardian set was amazing. I would need to do some more research but if it’s true that those are real congressional/senate repulicans then my god. I don’t want to be an American anymore. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • Yep they’re real. They may have been tricked into reading something they may not fully agree with, but at some point you have to know what you’re saying 
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited July 19
    JaimieT said:

The art lady went on long, but that was the most interesting to me because I could see myself getting trapped in that. When I'm talking with someone, I'm SO into whatever they're saying, giving them positive feedback, keeping them talking. My discomfort is secondary. Which can be bad, but that's how I can be sometimes, as long as it remains a "respectful" conversation (ie, no touching, hostility, etc). It's only later that I'll think, "WTF did I just listen to." I wouldn't have gone as far as she did at the end, donating her pubes, but I don't fucking work in an art museum; that's not my thing. If it were my thing, IDK, maybe. The cameras though, I'd like to think I'd snap out of it.

But maybe this is my over-empathy over-empathizing with this woman here LOL.

The truth is I don't think any of us can know what we'd do until it happened. The instinct to be nice, with many of us, is overwhelming.
    This reminds me of a super awkward conversation I had at a dinner party a few years back.  I was speaking to a woman who was professing her love of thigh food.  She mentioned this several times and I had no idea what she was talking about but just nodded my head politely.  The following thoughts were racing through my head:
    - Wtf is thigh food?!!
    - Does she mean fried chicken?!!
    - I love fried chicken as much as the next guy but I just call it fried chicken?!!

By the time I realized she was referring to Thai food, I was in too deep.  She had mentioned "thigh food" too many times and I had allowed it to go too far to turn back now.  I just had to grit my teeth and finish out the "thigh food" conversation.
    DeeJaimieT
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    gguenot said:
    Yep they’re real. They may have been tricked into reading something they may not fully agree with, but at some point you have to know what you’re saying 
    If it’s true then I don’t see how this absolutely proves these politicians are bought and paid for by the NRA 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    well ep 2 was something. those Arizonan's were pissed!
    gguenot
  • Chinaski said:
    well ep 2 was something. those Arizonan's were pissed!
    Arizonites*
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Can I just say, as a Georgian, I’ve never been more proud of one of our elected representatives. Also, I can’t wait to try rubbing my ass on someone to stop a terrorist attack. 
    alexander.klassen
  • I like that he includes one scene with folks who aren’t so gullible as to be snowed by the shtick.

GOP Rep Matt Gaetz in episode 1: You want me to say on television that I support 3 and 4 year olds with firearms? Is that what you’re asking me to do?

Tedd Koppel is episode 2: I mean no disrespect to you, but this is a waste of time.

The bachelorette star? I mean that’s pretty low hanging fruit Sacha.
    akritenbrink
  • Nathan Fielder (Nathan for You) is in the credits and you can really feel his sensibility in the mosque proposal. The insertion of the rediculous images of a giant mosque towering over a small town or a child soldier gleefully holding an RPG really help those scenes to be hilarious instead of just sad.

Whereas the stuff with the one Georgian rep just makes you want to die, and not from laughter.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    lol...okay....I was on the fence as to whether or not I'd watch another one of these after the first episode, but I just saw this picture:

and read this caption:  Georgia state Rep. Jason Spencer (R) in an episode of “Who Is America?” in which he shouted a multitude of racial epithets and brandished his naked buttocks.

And now I'm back in.  I can't wait to see this.  

JaimieTKela15
  • Yeah, it takes a special kind of gifted person to drop his pants and start screaming the n-word when he knows that he’s on camera...
    akritenbrink
  • Below is the statement from Rep. Jason Spencer:
    "In 2017 I received countless death threats in connection with my introduction of legislation involving the wearing of masks. The threats escalated to the point that my wife received threatening phone calls concerning her and my children. I was very afraid for my safety and the safety of my entire family.

Then, on June 14th, a gunman opened fire at members of Congress on a baseball field. I knew people on that field. Now, the fears I already had became more intensified as the reality of my family being targeted by a similar, deranged, would-be assassin became even more possible. I was in such a poor state of mind that my wife and I also undertook marriage counseling with a licensed therapist during this time.

Sacha Baron Cohen and his associates took advantage of my paralyzing fear that my family would be attacked. In posing as an Israeli Agent, he pretended to offer self-defense exercises. As uncomfortable as I was to participate, I agreed to, understanding that these ‘techniques’ were meant to help me and others fend off what I believed was an inevitable attack.

My fears were so heightened at that time, I was not thinking clearly nor could I appreciate what I was agreeing to when I participated in his ‘class.’ I was told I would be filmed as a ‘demonstration video’ to teach others the same skills in Israel. Sacha and his crew further lied to me, stating that I would be able to review and have final approval over any footage used.

I deeply regret the language I used at his request as well as my participation in the ‘class’ in general. If I had not been so distracted by my fears, I never would have agreed to participate in the first place.

I apologize to my family, friends, and the people of my district for this ridiculously ugly episode. Finally, there are calls for me to resign. I recently lost my primary election, so I will not eligible to hold office next term. Therefore, I will finish the remaining five months at my post and vacate my seat."

After reading his statement, it kind of brought forward to me why I really have disliked Who is America. I already knew fear will make people do horrible things. That's kind of our whole problem right now. I could of told you that Rep. Spencer was probably a racist. So didn't really learn anything there. The only thing this show does is give something for us liberals to laugh at how horrible the right is, which I don't think is particularly funny right now. 

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not a fan of this type of stunt show, nor do I like Sasha Baron Cohen. I do think if you are a congressperson (or any sane adult) you should know better than to pull down your pants and shout racial epithets, whether you are on or off camera. But I don't think it's a great idea to do this type of thing since it's just going to be more fodder for the right to say that the left just wants to create "fake news" to bring them down. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    My favorite part was the option 2 mosque, which was just larger.

What a great, timely show. I'm loving it.
    gguenotKingKobra
  • I'm not a fan of this type of stunt show, nor do I like Sasha Baron Cohen. I do think if you are a congressperson (or any sane adult) you should know better than to pull down your pants and shout racial epithets, whether you are on or off camera. But I don't think it's a great idea to do this type of thing since it's just going to be more fodder for the right to say that the left just wants to create "fake news" to bring them down. 
    The problem is SBC doesn’t care (IMO) if you’re R or D. He’d make a mockery of you regardless if you go through with it. What we are seeing now are excuses for things they have done/said because they are public. If the Rep hadn’t yelled the racist slurs it wouldn’t have been a huge deal.m, instead he doubled down. Another issue is that people always want to brush this under the rug, sorry, but F that. Most everyone here is a public figure, much like we see with celebrities, except these people are creating the laws that affect many of us. Let these people be exposed, period. If they continue to get voted in, then you know the constituents are ok with this behavior and or agree with what was said. 

There is nothing “the left” can say logical or not to appease hard line rights, much like hard line rights would have a damn difficult time convincing hard line lefts. 

I just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ most of the time these days. Some of this is funny, but most of it is just sad. 

It's just not convincing to a lot of people when they know they were tricked into it.
  • It's just not convincing to a lot of people when they know they were tricked into it.
    It’s kind of hard to be tricked into being a racist, unless you know you are one. Also, they could have said no to saying the things they did, but as we see, many did not. Maybe they had to and we’re forced to do and say these things though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    KingKobra said:
    It's just not convincing to a lot of people when they know they were tricked into it.
    It’s kind of hard to be tricked into being a racist, unless you know you are one. Also, they could have said no to saying the things they did, but as we see, many did not. Maybe they had to and we’re forced to do and say these things though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    i don't disagree with you. I'm just not sure it's helpful in the larger public discourse which is already surreal enough these days. I'm not sure a lot of people will think it through without just reacting.
    KingKobra
  • ivarvassivarvass Norway
    After watching two episodes I firmly think this is, hands down, the best show on TV. The characters are not all Borat style instant laugh types, but that is part of the genius of Cohen. His fearlessness is both impressive and hilarious to see. I can’t wait for what comes next
    gguenotJaimieT
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited July 24
    It’s a little disturbing how far he was able to get in with the NRA folks by just pretending to be a pro-gun Israeli in uniform. This kind of instant “he’s on my side” identification is probably not dissimilar to how Maria Butina was able to infiltrate the organization. It’s not unique to the NRA or the right either. There is a lesson here.

At least Rep Gaetz demonstrated that there are also some critical thinkers in the NRA camp.

I honestly can’t wait for Palin. She is such a nut job in normal circumstances and I can only imagine what SBC got out of her (before she walked out and was tragically trapped in an airport for days because they took her to to the wrong one).
    JaimieT
    I want someone to make a movie about Mariia Butina. No joke.