Sorry To Bother You (Spoilers)

AndrewAndrew New York
Has anyone else gone to see the movie yet? 

It certainly wasn't what I expected going in, but it was a really unique experience.  I still can't decide if it's overambitious and clumsy, or really well executed with a few stumbles along the way.

I'll save my thoughts, however, until I know others have seen this.

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It kinda reminds me of reading a Vonnegut book.  It is definitely unique and there is a lot of absurdity, satire and it is throwing a lot at you at one time.    It is very surreal and hilarious too.  
    Andrew
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I feel like there were some really ham fisted things in it that were borderline eye-roll inducing; like the cult leader throwing Cassius an apple when tempting him, the “work-horses,” the wound on his head getting more severe the more he sold out, and the fake TV game show. 

However, I also thought there were a lot of really great subtle things that they did. (Like Cassius being called “Cash” as he was fiscally successful, but Cassius when pure of intent.)

I might be crazy, but I think the two biggest themes were solipsism and duality. 
    Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This movie is good as hell
    Elisa
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I loved it. High weirdness. The trailers did a great job of not spoiling the final act. 

How uncomfortable was your auditorium during the rap?  There were some white people in front of me that laughed really hard at that part, but the black people close to me were stone silent. 

The entire movie had had a dark, twisted Michel Gondry vibe to it. I was glad to see the nod to him in the video played for Cash, which went full Gondry. 

Stanfield was great as the lead.  I really loved his fight of niceties. 

Steven Yeun’s line about people getting used to problems without a solution felt particularly pointed. 

Throughout the final act, I questioned several times if Cash I’d taken up Lift’s offer to become MLK for the ES’s and was just playing it off really well. I guess in the end he became more like Malcolm X.  
    Elisa
    Huh, we went to a 1:20 showing yesterday and the theater was packed. The Alamo we went to even moved it to their main theater. I really hope this movie takes off.
    Elisa
    They were playing some of Boots Riley's band The Coup's music videos before the movie. It's also some pretty good shit:

Elisa
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I saw it on opening night in Yonkers, NY at a popular theater and there were maybe 10 people total. It was so dead that a guy walked in with his date, looked around confused, and asked us what movie was supposed to be playing. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Full house in my independent movie house.
    I think this is one of those word of mouth movies and it's doing well around here because it's on home turf and more people know who Boots Riley is out here than probably most places in the country. I do hope the distribution expands and more people go see it. It's hard to find movies with this kind of message that aren't relentlessly miserable much less this much fun to watch.
    Elisa
This discussion has been closed.