Pride & Prejudice (and Jane Austen in general)

unreadunread Australia
I really enjoyed the latest Bald Movie episode on the 2005 adaption of Pride & Prejudice, so I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else is interested in discussion about it. I'd love to know what others think about this movie, and other adaptions of Jane Austen's works. I have to confess...I hate this particular version of P&P. I've tried to like it, and maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I not already seen the '95 version and read the book, but I just find it totally wrong in pretty much every aspect.
Chrissy1125

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Fun fact. Keira Knightley smashed in to me in central London some years back, spilled my coffee everywhere and was really rude about it. The crush I had had on her thanks to Bend It Like Beckham instantly evaporated.  :D
    Elisabazjensterduncanpowers
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    amyja89 said:
    Fun fact. Keira Knightley smashed in to me in central London some years back, spilled my coffee everywhere and was really rude about it. The crush I had had on her thanks to Bend It Like Beckham instantly evaporated.  :D

That's funny/sad? I have a big crush on her from The Duchess. Or maybe I just have a crush on that movie.

I need to rewatch this P&P movie. I remember hating how they handled the Wickham/Lydia subplot. And the rain gazebo scene that everyone loves, it annoys me because they're like, screaming the whole time. I didn't like the direction of Elizabeth. Although I do appreciate the added passion, I think they went overboard.

The best moment in the movie is when Darcy has to stretch out his hand, he's so tense, but that's the largest gesture he can make in that moment. It's such a nice human detail that reveals a lot about the pressures of that era.

I think my favorite Pride & Prejudice movie is You've Got Mail tbh.
    amyja89
    Also I loved this cast! I know Aron/Jim don't have a ton to say about these movies, but I like hearing them try to talk about them just the same, since I feel like I do that with so many "guy" movies. It's interesting.
    Dee
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited July 2018
    amyja89 said:
    Better story than when Jaime Fox almost drove into me after unsafely exiting a gas station and the proceeded to flip me off after I threw my hands in the air in a “wtf?” hand gesture.

He played Mr. Darcy, right?
    amyja89ElisaMichelleDeeduncanpowers
  • amyja89 said:
    So your crush evaporated like your spilt coffee? 
    duncanpowers
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    KingKobra said:
    amyja89 said:
    So your crush evaporated like your spilt coffee? 
    Very much so.  :s
    KingKobra
  •    I think this movie is a decent adaptation but not the best one out there.  The 1995 BBC miniseries is really the best screen adaptation in my opinion, but this is not bad.  It is a lot of material to condense into a movie and I think a lot of the decisions they made seemed to be mostly to accommodate this.  Things I liked - the Jane/Elizabeth relationship seemed really genuine.  Charlotte's decision to marry Collins was given more dignity than the book I think, and was kind of a reminder that this time was not all pretty dresses and handsome rich people, but really a time when women had not a lot of options besides marriage.  Thought casting was good all around - Darcy, Jane, Lydia, Mr. Bennett, Charlotte, Mr. Collins all good.  Keira Knightley was strong in the more emotional moments but I thought she didn't capture the bubbly sense of humor that the character is supposed to have.  

I didn't like how coarse they made the Bennetts, but understand that it helps the modern audience understand the gap between the Bennetts and Mr. Darcy.  And Bingley was so weird.  He was supposed to be a charming, friendly guy but seemed like a socially awkward dude in this movie and didn't really feel a connection between him and Jane.  

Overall not a bad movie.  I liked the podcast, I am glad Aron had some knowledge and appreciation for the material or else it might not have been a good discussion of it.  
    JaimieT
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    gguenot said:
    amyja89 said:
    Better story than when Jaime Fox almost drove into me after unsafely exiting a gas station and the proceeded to flip me off after I threw my hands in the air in a “wtf?” hand gesture.

He played Mr. Darcy, right?
    Okay, well now I want someone to start a “that time a celebrity was rude to me” thread. 
    gguenot
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    This is one of my top five movies. It's one of those movies I've literally seen a dozen or more times, all with my wife. We can jump in at any point and finish it.

I'm actually a little hesitant to listen as it's always hard to hear people critique something you enjoy so much. I'm sure I'll listen to it in the next week or so and correct things they say wrong to no one but myself. 

With all that said, I tried going back to the 95 version and I can't do it. I'm a big Colin Firth fan and all, but it's hard to watch for me.

Has anyone seen the Bollywood version, Bride & Prejudice? It's ridiculous but fun, and it has quite a few names in it, like Naveen Andrews from Lost, and Indira Varma from Game of Thrones. Another one I've seen a decent amount of times (my wife also loves India).
    majjam0770
  • I watched the BBC version with my wife recently and thought it was pretty good. I haven't seen this one yet, but my wife doesn't think it's nearly as good. 
  • Just in case A Ron skims through this thread, the fountain in the movie is engineering from the Victorian era (1860s), so it’s not contemporary with the P&P setting. But, it does use gravity based water pressure only, there’s no motor-driven boost. It can get to almost 300 ft high, but that flow rate causes too much wear on the nozzle, so it’s usually decreased. Source, a visit to Chatsworth House and Wikipedia 
    majjam0770A_Ron_Hubbard
  • They had ornamental fountains in ancient Rome, it is very old technology..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Never took an Austen class but I've read Pride and Prejudice and Emma and for some reason I find them compulsively readable compared to most of the other 19th century literature I've read.
  • No, add Russian....
  • They had ornamental fountains in ancient Rome, it is very old technology..
    Well, this one shoots a vertical jet 100m. So, plbbbtttttt!
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I grew up with the BBC verison, but when I saw the 2005 version, it became my favorite. The world they created felt so lived in and real. I love historical movies that don't treat history like this dusty or holier-than-thou time - people still laughed and lost their temper messed around. All the original writing is there but it just feels more fresh, the emotions feel more raw. The old version is wonderful, but the acting is tad stilted and it has nowhere near the dynamic movement of the new one. I think a successful adaptation of a book is NOT translating book to screen. It's interpreting the langue of a book to the language of film. There are many moments translated without words in the 2005 film and the work gloriously. 

But for the record, although I think literally every charachter in the new one is better than the old - the original Lizze is better. I'll give them that. 
    JaimieTmajjam0770
    aberry89 said:
    I grew up with the BBC verison, but when I saw the 2005 version, it became my favorite. The world they created felt so lived in and real. I love historical movies that don't treat history like this dusty or holier-than-thou time - people still laughed and lost their temper messed around. All the original writing is there but it just feels more fresh, the emotions feel more raw. The old version is wonderful, but the acting is tad stilted and it has nowhere near the dynamic movement of the new one. I think a successful adaptation of a book is NOT translating book to screen. It's interpreting the langue of a book to the language of film. There are many moments translated without words in the 2005 film and the work gloriously. 

But for the record, although I think literally every charachter in the new one is better than the old - the original Lizze is better. I'll give them that. 

I LOVE Kiera Knightley but am not a fan of her Lizzie. When I want some KR period emotional drama... The Duchess.
    majjam0770
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited July 2018
    I love this movie, but never read the book. I hate to say it but that policy serves me well. I’m more into non-fiction when it comes to reading so I don’t even consider reading the book first anymore if I think I’ll see the movie. The book can always add more, but I don’t want to hope for an adaptation I won’t get. 

Agree very much much about how lived in it feels and the dynamic camera work. Loved all the mud, which is just a practical thing I’d never even considered before in this era.  

If you haven’t noticed it before, just from a filmmaking perspective it’s worth watching Bingley’s ball again. It’s not the flashiest single take ever, but it’s pretty impressive considering the number of people involved and the relatively tight space and conversations that have to be captured. The camera work is great all around. 

I love Keira Knightley in this, and it’s what really got me on board with her as an actress. I recall thinking she just knew how to pout before this.

Big fan of the score too. Parts of it reminded me of The Piano at the time. 

Apart from all the other Austen adaptations, if you like this I’d recommend Far From the Madding Crowd with Carey Mulligan. Pretty cheery and relaxed for a Thomas Hardy adaptation, and I think it has some of the same charms. 

chrisk said:
    I love this movie, but never read the book. I hate to say it but that policy serves me well. I’m more into non-fiction when it comes to reading so I don’t even consider reading the book first anymore if I think I’ll see the movie. The book can always add more, but I don’t want to hope for an adaptation I won’t get. 

Agree very much much about how lived in it feels and the dynamic camera work. Loved all the mud, which is just a practical thing I’d never even considered before in this era.  

If you haven’t noticed it before, just from a filmmaking perspective it’s worth watching Bingley’s ball again. It’s not the flashiest single take ever, but it’s pretty impressive considering the number of people involved and the relatively tight space and conversations that have to be captured. The camera work is great all around. 

I love Keira Knightley in this, and it’s what really got me on board with her as an actress. I recall thinking she just knew how to pout before this.

Big fan of the score too. Parts of it reminded me of The Piano at the time. 

Apart from all the other Austen adaptations, if you like this I’d recommend Far From the Madding Crowd with Carey Mulligan. Pretty cheery and relaxed for a Thomas Hardy adaptation, and I think it has some of the same charms. 

How could I forget the score...one of Dario Marianelli's best. I listen to it all the time.
    JaimieT said:
    aberry89 said:

I LOVE Kiera Knightley but am not a fan of her Lizzie. When I want some KR period emotional drama... The Duchess.

I still need to watch the Duchess...on my list. 

The Lizzy and Darcy are bit different than thier book and BBC counterparts. I feel Lizzie feels more impetuous where Darcy is shyer and sweeter. I actually really love what Matthew Mcfadden did with Darcy (although he is always fantastic in whatever he does so not surprised) but Keira's interpretation...hmmm I dunno, I just needed a degree more maturity. 
    aberry89 said:
    JaimieT said:
    aberry89 said:

I still need to watch the Duchess...on my list. 

Oh man. I've watched it maybe 6 times in my adulthood. If you remember, let me know what you think when you get to it.
This discussion has been closed.