Disenchantment

This might be true for a majority of TV these days, but... while the chance of failure of is high, so is the potential ceiling for greatness. 

What does everyone think about a Futurama style look at the world of Fantasy?

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This might be true for a majority of TV these days, but... while the chance of failure of is high, so is the potential ceiling for greatness. 

What does everyone think about a Futurama style look at the world of Fantasy?

Big fantasy fan, big comedy fantasy fan, but this is not for me. 
  • Yeah, I was a pretty big Futurama fan, and I generally trust those guys, but I’m def. keeping my expectations low. 
  • Has anyone else watched it? 

One last episode to go and I will admit at first I wasn’t too impressed but I really liked Bean so I kept watching and it grew on me after a few episodes. 

It it seems like the kind of show that will keep getting better. It’s worth watching imo. 

Curious to see what others think. 
  • It’s not bad imo. Not falling asleep to it, but I’ll background watch it
  • I've watched the first two or three episodes, I'll watch the rest of them for sure....anything remotely D&D related is right up my alley :)
  • I finished watching it today.  At first, I didn't like it very much.   Bean, who is one of the main characters, comes across as an anachronistic independent-old-timey woman, a type that shows up in a lot of mediocre period fiction written in modern times.  But she develops a bit more and I grew to like her.  And there was a lot of what I will call  "modern-things-given a middle-age-spin jokes".   For example there is a scene when a royal family arrives to an event in a stretch-carriage instead of a stretch-limo, which I do not find very funny but that's me.   

....But it built the story well after the first few episodes of world building and by the last half of the season I was very drawn into the story and wanted to know what would happen.  It is not sharply funny like Futurama or peak Simpsons often was, but has its moments.  I recommend overall.  
  • Might be a vehicule for new writers. Simpsons want to retire. 
  • Futurama and Simpson’s season 1s are generally regarded as some of the worst episodes of the series. Every show needs some time to find its feet. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    Futurama and Simpson’s season 1s are generally regarded as some of the worst episodes of the series. Every show needs some time to find its feet. 
    Those people’s feelings are ugly and wrong. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited August 2018
    I'm two episodes in. I thought the pilot had some droll, sneaky fun moments, but the second episode I watched stonefaced. I don't know...
    russkelly
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I reckon watching this show must be like watching Babe Ruth play his final season as a Boston Brave. Or Brett Favre's final season as a Viking. The shell of past greatness that is long gone and in it's place, nothing. I didn't care for the first episode. Soft pass.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hatorian said:
    Futurama and Simpson’s season 1s are generally regarded as some of the worst episodes of the series. Every show needs some time to find its feet. 
    I'll give you that early Simpsons was pretty weird, but Futurama was brilliant from the start. Space Pilot 3000 is one of the best pilots in the history of TV. A Big Piece of Garbage and Fry and the Slurm Factory are both as good as Futurama gets.
  • Hunkulese said:
    Hatorian said:
    I'll give you that early Simpsons was pretty weird, but Futurama was brilliant from the start. Space Pilot 3000 is one of the best pilots in the history of TV. A Big Piece of Garbage and Fry and the Slurm Factory are both as good as Futurama gets.

Reading through S1 episode titles it's actually an incredibly strong season of television.

For example the 2nd episode has everything that made the series great: funny gags like "whaler's on the moon" and really heartfelt stuff with Fry talking about how different the idea of the moon was when he was a kid.

• I agree with the people that watched a episode or 2 and are not that impressed. It took me like 4 or 5 episodes to get into it.  

The last couple episodes are awesome and will probably leave you wanting more. 
  • Hunkulese said:
    Hatorian said:
    Not saying there wasn’t good episodes. Slurm factory is top 5 for me. Whimmy Wham Wozzle my dudes!

This discussion has been closed.