303 - Walk of Punishment - SPOILERS!

Programming note: We're recording this today, so we'll consider any feedback for this on the podcast for 304! Club Members, we're Live Recording this, so feel free to hit the site if you want to get the podcast six days early!
KingKobra

Comments

• edited July 22
    This episode is brutal. Jamie literally gets his hand cut off for saving a Brieene from being raped and then it goes into an upbeat version of bear and the maiden fair.

I also forgot how directly related the rape saving and the losing of the hand were. Jamie is a very interesting character in every time he does a “bad thing” he gets rewarded and every time he does he right thing he gets punished.
  • You often mention the three fabled dragon riders. In the last podcast you sounded resigned to the fact that nobody will be riding the ice dragon. Upon seeing its eye open, I assumed that Bran would eventually warg into the ice dragon, effectively using it as an asset. After all, the three eyed raven told Bran that he will not be able to walk. He will be able to fly. Your thoughts?
  • I really hated that version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", but not for typical reasons. I hated it because my first viewing  was from a pirated copy that had an audio error and played the song while Jaime was getting his had cut off and not after. I originally thought it was a stylistic choice and not an error. Now I can't hear it without feeling the same amount of rage I did that night. 
    gguenot
  • In Regards to Shae -   On rewatch and knowing how Shae’s Story ends, I think Shae had to be working with Tywin from the beginning.  Shae is a smart woman. The only thing she seems dumb about is how dangerous Tywin is and how
    much danger she is in while at Kings  Landing.  Maybe she isn’t dumb because she isn’t really in danger.   Tywin tells Tyrion to not bring Shae which makes Tyrion want to bring her. Of course I have no real proof that she is being employed by Tywin until next season.  At that point we think Shae switched alligence because Tyrion sent her  away.  Maybe she was always double dipping in the Lannister pot of gold. It certainly explains her behavior. It makes her more cunning and less annoying.  Just my thought.  What do you guys think???
    thaks for the season rewatch.  Look forward to it every week while commuting 
    Doctor_Nick
  • Dummy said:
    I really hated that version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", but not for typical reasons. I hated it because my first viewing  was from a pirated copy that had an audio error and played the song while Jaime was getting his had cut off and not after. I originally thought it was a stylistic choice and not an error. Now I can't hear it without feeling the same amount of rage I did that night. 
    Man, idk why I’m laughing so hard at this. That must have made that scene so different  :D
    Dummy
  • MEckl said:
    In Regards to Shae -   On rewatch and knowing how Shae’s Story ends, I think Shae had to be working with Tywin from the beginning.  Shae is a smart woman. The only thing she seems dumb about is how dangerous Tywin is and how
    much danger she is in while at Kings  Landing.  Maybe she isn’t dumb because she isn’t really in danger.   Tywin tells Tyrion to not bring Shae which makes Tyrion want to bring her. Of course I have no real proof that she is being employed by Tywin until next season.  At that point we think Shae switched alligence because Tyrion sent her  away.  Maybe she was always double dipping in the Lannister pot of gold. It certainly explains her behavior. It makes her more cunning and less annoying.  Just my thought.  What do you guys think???
    I think Shae was totally with Tyrion until Varys tried to buy her off with the diamonds. I think she started to shift then. IIRC, Tyrion told her off and called her a "whore" multiple times in a subsequent scene to get her to think he didn't love her. I think either Bronn took her to Tywin or one of Tywin's agents got her off the boat and made her an offer she couldn't refuse. Plus she was already hurt, and honestly, never seemed to be a big picture thinker. I don't think it ever occurred to her that Tyrion was being like that to protect her.
  • MEckl said:
    In Regards to Shae -   On rewatch and knowing how Shae’s Story ends, I think Shae had to be working with Tywin from the beginning.  Shae is a smart woman. The only thing she seems dumb about is how dangerous Tywin is and how
    I like this idea.  However, I think she was not working with Tywin yet, but, as a experienced woman of the world, she may have thought she could manipulate Tywin if it came to that so was not as concerned as she should be (and it appears she would have been right).  And Tywin would likely have learned of the Loras-Sansa marriage plot from Shae, and not through other channels if there was a conspiracy between them at this point.