Faceless MEN?

CoryCory New Scotland
How many Faceless Men are there?  Is there more than one (not counting Arya), or is "Jacqen H'Ghar" the only one?

Comments

  • edited July 2018
    I don't think anyone knows how many there are (and afaik it's not published in any of Martin's work). They are a secretive group of assassins. It's a bit like asking how many people are in the CIA. Who knows, but it's certainly more than just one. 
    KingKobra
  • The wiki of ice and fire is an excellent resource for information like that! https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Faceless_Men
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, if you're going by the books, there are quite a few. If you're going by the show....two? There were three but Arya killed her in the dark. And actually, I don't know if Arya actually counts now. She has the power but isn't really going to the meetings anymore.
    PeggyB
  • Got to believe there are a fair amount.  Seems like they're known to be hired assassins so would have to guess that even with their power, they can't be in multiple places at the same time.  Don't think they have the rule of 2 like the Sith, :p
  • It’s driving me crazy why “men” is in all caps in the title lol
    PeggyB
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    gguenot said:
    It’s driving me crazy why “men” is in all caps in the title lol
    Really?
  • Cory said:
    gguenot said:
    It’s driving me crazy why “men” is in all caps in the title lol
    Really?
    No  :D just being dramatic 
  • Has anyone seen the theory that Littlefinger hired a faceless man to die in his place?    I'd be so pissed if he was still alive.


  • Has anyone seen the theory that Littlefinger hired a faceless man to die in his place?    I'd be so pissed if he was still alive.


    Stop it now sir/mam
    Murderbear
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited February 6
    This is all I think of when I see old/dead threads reappear at the top


    Altered Beast...Rise from your grave!

    Kate23Murderbear
  • Has anyone seen the theory that Littlefinger hired a faceless man to die in his place?    I'd be so pissed if he was still alive.


    This is amazing and now I want it to be true
  • i havent watched the video but id find it super hard to believe given all the lead up to his death and what he was doing to set Arya up. I think he had a solid plan and it just backfired cuz of Stark love. Up until his death I was always thinking he would be the one to end up on the throne as he was the only one really "playing the game"
  • Dude, watch the video.  Better still, read the "LittleFinger is Azor Ahai" reddit. Compelling stuff.  Hopefully @A_Ron_Hubbard decides to talk about it in a leadup to GoT starting back up again, always interested in hearing his thoughts on tinfoils

    Hatorian
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited February 13
    gguenot said:
    It’s driving me crazy why “men” is in all caps in the title lol
    It is actually irking my inner grammar police.  Mainly because I read it as

    Faceless...  MEENNNN!?!?!?!?

    Ha.
    gguenot
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hatorian said:
    i havent watched the video but id find it super hard to believe given all the lead up to his death and what he was doing to set Arya up. I think he had a solid plan and it just backfired cuz of Stark love. Up until his death I was always thinking he would be the one to end up on the throne as he was the only one really "playing the game"
    Could they even use his face if he's alive?

    Hatorian
  • i watched the video. id have to rewatch the episodes and see if the winterfell maiden is in other scenes and if so what is she doing. 

    good point by @Cory I thought you had to use a dead person's face. but now that i think about it Jaqen hagar tricked Arya with that face swap that was in the video. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited February 13
    Hatorian said:
    good point by @Cory I thought you had to use a dead person's face. but now that i think about it Jaqen hagar tricked Arya with that face swap that was in the video. 
    Do you mean when she pulled all the faces off of him, one of which was hers, after he drank the water (or whatever it was), just before she went blind?  He was definitely doing some "hoodoo voodoo" shit on her then though, so if that's it, I wouldn't take any merit from it.
  • Cory said:
    Hatorian said:
    good point by @Cory I thought you had to use a dead person's face. but now that i think about it Jaqen hagar tricked Arya with that face swap that was in the video. 
    Do you mean when she pulled all the faces off of him, one of which was hers, after he drank the water (or whatever it was), just before she went blind?  He was definitely doing some "hoodoo voodoo" shit on her then though, so if that's it, I wouldn't take any merit from it.
    Yea. That’s the scene. That’s the only scene that shows people alive having faces. But I think you’re right. And I think LF is dead
  • edited February 13

    Here's the biggest problem with this whole theory (Littefinger hired the faceless men to be him instead and effectively die for him), the faceless men are assassins for hire.  You don't hire them to die in your place.  You hire them to kill someone for you.  So, this theory, while interesting, just seems to ignore this aspect of what the Faceless Men are all about.  So unless the theory wants to go further and explain who Littlefinger was trying to kill, then there is a huge glaring error in it.  So, in my opinion, this is just something that is pulling on strings and the theory really doesn't have any merit.


    *edit- let's also remember this scene where Jaquen H'ghar first meets Arya and he ends up telling her name 3 people she wants dead and he'll take care of it and with the last name, Arya says "Jaquen H'ghar" and Jaquen is like "wait a minute, i'm not doing that, name someone else".  If a faceless man was willing to die for someone, then wouldn't Jaquen have been like "ok, cool, see ya"?  So, once again, i don't see the faceless men as being hired to die for people.  Now maybe you want to say, well Littlefinger tricked them into dying for him.  Well, I suppose it could be possible but the faceless men also seem to be pretty knowledgeable about situations so i'm not so sure they would agree to be Littlefinger knowing that he's in serious trouble and could be killed at a moments notice.  Plus, clearly if you tricked the faceless men, there would be severe consequences so even Littlefinger could guess that so he'd then be targeting by them just for tricking them.  So either way, I just don't see this as a theory to really be taken seriously.

Sign In or Register to comment.