Sharp Objects Ep. 3 - "Fix"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited July 22 in Other TV
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writer: Alex Metcalf

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    "Fix" because she wants to fix the next person, save them from hopelessness and suicide? 

Tom & Lorenzo of Mad Style fame (Mad Men costume analysis) have said they'll be doing a costume analysis on this show and I'm so excited. Either Stepfather has a noose around his neck or he's gay, with that yellow cardigan draped like that, haha.
  • Does anybody have an idea about the time and place of the flashbacks we saw in this episode?  The mental hospital scene seems conspicuously out of place for wind gap.  But there was a inception flashback where she saw her mother with roses in the same hospital.
    Does anybody have an idea about the time and place of the flashbacks we saw in this episode?  The mental hospital scene seems conspicuously out of place for wind gap.  But there was a inception flashback where she saw her mother with roses in the same hospital.

Very positive it was before the current timeline, based on Camille "remembering" them. (This doesn't seem the kind of show to mislead on that front, on film shorthand.) My guess is this was the thing that led to Camille drinking and possibly leaving Wind Gap, although she might have left before then and was just visiting.
  • JaimieT said:mo
    Does anybody have an idea about the time and place of the flashbacks we saw in this episode?  The mental hospital scene seems conspicuously out of place for wind gap.  But there was a inception flashback where she saw her mother with roses in the same hospital.

Very positive it was before the current timeline, based on Camille "remembering" them. (This doesn't seem the kind of show to mislead on that front, on film shorthand.) My guess is this was the thing that led to Camille drinking and possibly leaving Wind Gap, although she might have left before then and was just visiting.
    Well she had been cutting at that point.  Because there was an image of her stomach scarred.  There is a major connection with the hospital though.   Possibly many visits over the years.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited July 23
    My takeaways: 

- I think the mom committed the murders and the town sheriff knows about it. That explains why Adora is constantly interrupting Camille’s efforts to gain information and passing it off as if Camille bring up bad memories to the victims. That would just leave the detective to solve the murders and nobody like it talks to him

- They continue to lay tracks that Amma is Camille’s daughter and the previews for next weeks episode hint to that as well

-We know about why the iPod was special and I felt bummed when she threw it out the car window. Camille has had a heck of a rough go
  • So, Amma seems almost too shady at this point to be a suspect. But, I thought it was interesting that she said something along the lines of "my friends will do anything for me" and later Bob Nash says "in this town, women talk and people die."
  • Does anybody have an idea about the time and place of the flashbacks we saw in this episode?  The mental hospital scene seems conspicuously out of place for wind gap.  But there was a inception flashback where she saw her mother with roses in the same hospital.

I'd say it can't be more than ~6 years or so ago based on the phones, and I would guess much more recently than that, maybe a year or several months before when the show begins. 

And speaking of the phones looks like my guess from the E1 thread was accurate, the other phone with the music is her friend's from the hospital. I also guessed this is why she started drinking again, which they didn't show us, but I wonder whether or not that will be revealed in the next few episodes.

They were really laying on the Amma-is-Camille's-daughter hints in that early scene with them, but I'm still thinking no.
  • This was one of the most difficult episodes of TV I’ve watched in awhile.
    KingKobrarusskellygroovydooleycdriveMurderbearSepta Nutella
  • JaimieT said:mo

Well she had been cutting at that point.  Because there was an image of her stomach scarred.  There is a major connection with the hospital though.   Possibly many visits over the years.
    After her sister and before the current timeline is all we have. We now know where the broken iPod came from and why she keeps it. This kind of connects to what seems like her self destructive behavior (that she is the “cause” of bad things, which has only been reinforced/hammered in by her mother). She’s an unreliable narrator so some of what we see may not be actually how it happened, but rather what she “remembers” happening. 
    groovydooley
  • I was talking to a friend and recommended this show. They asked me how was it, I told them excellent, but dark. They mentioned Leftovers, I said Leftovers is heavy, this show is DARK. This episode thus far made me feel the saddest so far. Seeing paths of destruction everywhere and people keeping everything internal until it explodes out in various ways. 
    gguenot
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 23
    Checkov’s Draino on the cart, knew someone was gonna use that. 
    ghm3
  • We know that the facility is in St. Louis from the sign on the building in one of the episodes first shots. I assume it happened after she left Wind Gap and was living as an adult in St Louis.  Very probably the event her boss is so fixated on so probably very recent but before he assigns her the Wind Gap story. Camille looks to be about the same age or close to as she is now. 
    ghm3rkcrawfgroovydooleyJoshTheBlackMurderbear
  • The_D said:
    We know that the facility is in St. Louis from the sign on the building in one of the episodes first shots. I assume it happened after she left Wind Gap and was living as an adult in St Louis.  Very probably the event her boss is so fixated on so probably very recent but before he assigns her the Wind Gap story. Camille looks to be about the same age or close to as she is now. 
    I didn't notice the sign but I thought it was extremely odd that people here were assuming that was in Wind Gap, why an ultra-tiny town of 2000 would have its own mental hospital. I just assumed it was near St. Louis and agree that this was the event that her boss was talking about overcoming, so therefore taking place fairly recently before he sends here to Wind Gap.
    groovydooley
  • I think Camille's mother is the killer.
    Believe it said St. Louis Rehabilitation Center. 
    groovydooley
  • Fantastic episode. One of those that lets you figure something out exactly when they want you to. Not too early or too late, which is hard to do. The whole mental hospital scene was directed really well. Also liked the depth of what Amma was putting down. 

So the only thing I didn't get was the flashbacks to Adora's husband at the end. It seemed like a too obvious hint or a bad connection to the music of the show
    So, Amma seems almost too shady at this point to be a suspect. But, I thought it was interesting that she said something along the lines of "my friends will do anything for me" and later Bob Nash says "in this town, women talk and people die."

Yeah, I'm still in the camp of not suspecting her. Possibly... her friends would unknowingly go to their death for her?
    KingKobra said:
    I was talking to a friend and recommended this show. They asked me how was it, I told them excellent, but dark. They mentioned Leftovers, I said Leftovers is heavy, this show is DARK. This episode thus far made me feel the saddest so far. Seeing paths of destruction everywhere and people keeping everything internal until it explodes out in various ways. 

I wondered about this during the moment when Camille was talking to iPod girl. It's stuff I never see on TV and I was wondering how people who have had good families/lives would see Camille answering, "Does it get better? with "You survive" or whatever it was. So many shows get away with absolute schlock when trying to depict this sort of thing. Which is why I can't watch so many shows, I guess. (Not that (1) this is a pain contest, (2) your reaction is representative of the world or (3) I'm so edgy lol. I just like to get out of my head and I do a lot of idle wondering.)
    telephoneofmadnessKingKobra
  • The sneak peak of the next episode is also interesting.   The sheriff is telling Adora that one daughter is dangerous and the other is in danger.   I feel like each daughter will probably be in the opposite role upon the end of this series.

From the sociopathic meltdown in the second episode, to the weird knowing she was being followed closing the door while staring at Camille in the pig pen...  Amma is some kind of predator.
    Murderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Really good episode, heartbreaking at the end, but I'm wondering what purpose this episode served to move the plot forward.  I feel like I saw the sad story of Alice, saw more of Amma's bitchy behavior, and learned that Adora and her husband don't sleep in the same room.  Beyond that, I dunno.  But it was still very engaging and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This episode proved to me on a new level that this show is motherfucking fucked the fucked up. Like holy shit. What @RyanReeseman said. I almost wanted to stop watching cause it was hitting some intense notes.  Also I love Led Zeppelin. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited July 23
    Adding fuel to the Camille is Amma’s mother theory, the word baby appears on a building while Camille is following Amma in her car.  Credit to Imurp and YouKnowThatOtherGuy on reddit. 

Why was Alan screaming into his fist at the end?  Was it just frustration at the emotional distance Adora has kept him at for so long, or something else?

What the fuck was Amma doing with the pig in the slaughterhouse?   She really is a young budding sociopath.  

I could be wrong here, but I think all of the music in this show so far has been diagetic.  I wonder if that will change now that Camille has thrown out Alice’s phone. 

• Random thought 1– is Camille a lesbian?  Or bi? pansexual? It seems like all the woman in the town flirt with her. Camille also appears to be checking out asses— John’s girlfriend, Amma’s, etc.

Random thought 2– not sure if it’s a red herring, but also was feeling like Adora is the killer.  9 out of 10 victims know their killer. Adora knew both victims very well. And she’s also an avid gardener who uses sheers or pliers. But wth motive would she have?
  • Adding fuel to the Camille is Amma’s mother theory, the word baby appears on a building while Camille is following Amma in her car. https://i.imgur.com/rRBBONU.jpg Credit to Imurp and YouKnowThatOtherGuy on reddit. 

Why was Alan screaming into his fist at the end?  Was it just frustration at the emotional distance Adora has kept him at for so long, or something else?

What the fuck was Amma doing with the pig in the slaughterhouse?   She really is a young budding sociopath.  

I could be wrong here, but I think all of the music in this show so far has been diagetic.  I wonder if that will change now that Camille has thrown out Alice’s phone. 

That’s really interesting about the diagetic music. It’s something I noticed in the first episode, but I hadn’t been paying attention to for eps 2 & 3. I wonder if we’ll get a traditional score, or if they’ll find another way to get music in. 

The other sources for music have been Amma’s iPod, Adora’s Husbands stereo, and and music at the bar.

Maybe she’ll just start listening to the car’s regular radio and we’ll just get commercials,  Nickleback, and Taylor Swift. 

On another note, to me, Amma is fucking terrifying. Even though she’s just a kid, she seems capable of such emotional destruction. 
  • edited July 23
    GatorGirl said:
    Random thought 1– is Camille a lesbian?  Or bi? pansexual? It seems like all the woman in the town flirt with her. Camille also appears to be checking out asses— John’s girlfriend, Amma’s, etc.

I think that is her noting the lack of scars on the back of the legs. And I don’t think she’s a lesbian, but she DEFINITELY gets mad flirted with by most of the women in the show. But she could be! 

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited July 23
    I still think we're heading towards a Hot Fuzz ending. It may not be the entire community, but I think the murders were done by a group of people and the chief and Adora know who's behind the murders, even though they may not be part of the group. They keep pointing out how the victims and they're families were different and didn't fit in with the community, and there are multiple cliques in the town that always seem to be up to no good. The outsiders are also the only ones actively trying to solve the murders. It would also make sense that Camille was the one in danger and Amma being the dangerous one from the preview for next week.

Any ideas about what Officer Dick (is that his actual name) was thinking when he was looking back and forth in the alley? They lingered on those shots,  but the only thing I could come up with was how brazen it was to put the body in an alley that wasn't really hidden from view at all.

And what was going on with the pig farm?

• I think what people are finding suspicious about Adora is mostly just her busybody nature, it's easy to see that as interfering. I don't think she's the killer, but I think she knows, or suspects, that Amma is. This almost seems too obvious given her behavior this episode, but it still makes the most sense to me so far, because unlike anyone else right now I can see (petty) motive with her. 

I don't think we know much about Ann still, or if they told us I missed it, but with Natalie at least, she enjoyed a level of individualism and freedom that I could very easily see Amma envying. She's a tomboy, liked unusual things like spiders, and was allowed to explore her identity, things Adora would never permit Amma to do. 

But I definitely think Adora would cover up for her if she knew or suspected her involvement, which seems highly likely to me.
  • Adding fuel to the Camille is Amma’s mother theory, the word baby appears on a building while Camille is following Amma in her car.  Credit to Imurp and YouKnowThatOtherGuy on reddit. 

I don't think he was screaming, it looked like he was pulling out his tooth.

• Hunkulese said:
    I still think we're heading towards a Hot Fuzz ending. It may not be the entire community, but I think the murders were done by a group of people and the chief and Adora know who's behind the murders, even though they may not be part of the group. They keep pointing out how the victims and they're families were different and didn't fit in with the community, and there are multiple cliques in the town that always seem to be up to no good. The outsiders are also the only ones actively trying to solve the murders. It would also make sense that Camille was the one in danger and Amma being the dangerous one from the preview for next week.

Any ideas about what Officer Dick (is that his actual name) was thinking when he was looking back and forth in the alley? They lingered on those shots,  but the only thing I could come up with was how brazen it was to put the body in an alley that wasn't really hidden from view at all.

And what was going on with the pig farm?

I got the same ideia that Adora and the officer knows about the killer, she lookedsomebody else while talking to him privately. Acctualy, the both talking remembered me about "the village" movie.

About Amma, i think she talking Camille that she could kill her, right there, and the Detective coudn't figure it out, seemes like she is sayng that the mistery is obviously and they (Camille and the Detective) cant see it.

• edited July 23
    Adding fuel to the Camille is Amma’s mother theory, the word baby appears on a building while Camille is following Amma in her car.  Credit to Imurp and YouKnowThatOtherGuy on reddit. 

I guess it could be true, but my tought was that Camille had a relationship with the younger girl in the hospital, and now she is projecting the girl on Amma.

Amma probably know about that (the suicide), once she sad Camille loves dead girls.

Also, Adora says that Camille embarrased them, as it was public, not a pregnancy they covered.