Music copyright question

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some clarification:

I am filming videos of horses for an upcoming sale at the ranch I work for, and I have put music on them, and if I post them on my ranch’s Facebook site, the video is blocked for copyright laws, I’ve gotten around this by posting the videos to YouTube, and then posting the links to the videos to our Facebook, and that is working fine. But why is Facebook blocking the videos? It says it’s because of the music, but why do they care? Several of the podcasts I listen to (including this site) have music/dialogue of the movie/tv show being reviewed on the podcast. Isn’t it all fair use?
can anyone explain the rules on this?

thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2018
    I’m not an expert by any means but I’m under the impression that clips are allowed when used for critical, satirical, or educational purposes.  By using the music in what is, if I’m understanding correctly, an advertisement you’re violating the copyright on that music.  Fair Use laws allow for limited use of clips but exclude purposes that yield financial gain.  Basically if you’re going to make money the recording industry wants their cut, but if you’re just discussing why this is important or interesting they don’t care.
  • @freiberg.justin thank you for your explanation.
    although, I don’t specifically say in the video the horse is for sale, it is on our Facebook page for our sale. Thanks again!
  • There are a ton of TV shows from the 90s that are nearly impossible to legally get a hold of due to the music copy rights of all things.  One of the funnier examples which raises the ire of my father and I is the Drew Carey Show.   
    [Deleted User]
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    seanray said:
    Hi everyone, I’m looking for some clarification:

I am filming videos of horses for an upcoming sale at the ranch I work for, and I have put music on them, and if I post them on my ranch’s Facebook site, the video is blocked for copyright laws, I’ve gotten around this by posting the videos to YouTube, and then posting the links to the videos to our Facebook, and that is working fine. But why is Facebook blocking the videos? It says it’s because of the music, but why do they care? Several of the podcasts I listen to (including this site) have music/dialogue of the movie/tv show being reviewed on the podcast. Isn’t it all fair use?
    can anyone explain the rules on this?

thanks!

How much of the music are you playing? I know the radio industry uses the “30 second rule” which is not a specific legal rule, but in general, if you use music In a way that doesn’t effect the marketability of the work, doesn’t earn you profit, in short in duration, and the nature of the work.

so you’ll hear radio shows use songs as “bumps” meaning before the content but after ads, and usually they use less then thirty seconds.

also Facebook can set whatever rules they want, they can block content they feel violates copyright regardless of whether you would prevail in court 
  • @emnofseattle
    between 2-3 minutes. Usually just chorus and instrumental break. I'm just posting to youtube and sharing the video on facebook. Youtube is much more lenient.
  • seanray said:
    @emnofseattle
    between 2-3 minutes. Usually just chorus and instrumental break. I'm just posting to youtube and sharing the video on facebook. Youtube is much more lenient.
    YouTube has its own algorithms and you may get bit still. Just hope the sale happens before it does. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Generally YouTube will monetise the video in favor of the copywriter owners. This may or may not impose a strike on you and limit you’re ability to upload at some point. I am not regular YouTube uploader, but that’s what happened when I uploaded the video from when I went skydiving many years ago. 
  • Thanks for all the info gang. So far so good. I’ll be finished uploading all the videos by end of tomorrow, and YouTube hasn’t said a peep.

(knock on wood)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @akritenbrink I did that 2 years ago, and people bitched about the music sucking. It’s very “damned if I do damned if I don’t”
  • Videos have been online all week, no problems. And they’ll be coming down a week from Saturday, since the sale is that day.
This discussion has been closed.