80s/90s Alt Rock/New Wave Appreciation Thread

MichelleMichelle California
edited July 2018 in General
I noticed in the Classic Rock thread that there are a lot of people like myself who are still into 80s & 90s new wave & alternative "modern" rock.  I thought it deserved its own thread. :)   I'm listening to a station I put together on Pandora and this song just came up.  It brought back all kinds of memories, including seeing them live opening for EMF at the Warfield in San Francisco (which was a super fun night).

TravisApril_May_JuneFreibergxulsolar22

Comments

• Where to even begin?
    I can already tell that I'm going to love this thread!   :)
    MichelleFreibergTravis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2018
    As tough as the prospects of coming up with a classic rock top 5 would be, 80s/90s alt/wave would be like 1,000 times harder for me. That's kind of where my bread is buttered. That said, I figure The Pixies is always a good place to go...

On the topic of Wave-y stuff more specifically I think my favorite tune in that area is The Cure's Let's Go to Bed

April_May_JuneMichellekingbee67FlukescdriveCretanBull
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Oh god, there are SO many great Cure songs.   That's one of them, for sure.  I've always liked their The Head on the Door and Disintegration albums the best though.  To me, one of their best songs that (to my knowledge) never got airplay is The Blood.

TravisApril_May_Junecdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    New Order, Stone Roses and The Smiths. ok i'm done.
    TravisMichelleApril_May_JunedragonsCretanBullDoctor_Nick
  • Where to even begin?
    I know, right!  This and hip hop are the music of my childhood and hit so much closer to home than classic rock (which I love in its own right, don’t get me wrong, but it’s different).  My best friends older sister made a tape for me when I was in middle school and she was in high school that had the Cure’s Head on the Door on one side and the Beastie Boy’s Paul’s Boutique on the other and that thing was like the Holy Grail crossed with the Rosetta Stone to me.  I don’t think I could narrow favorite songs down to a manageable list, so I’ll start with some albums and see where we go from there. 

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
    Go-Go’s - Beauty and the Beat
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    Elvis Costello - This Year’s Model
    The Cure - Head on the Door
    Gary Numan - Pleasures Principle
    Bowie - Scary Monsters
    April_May_JuneTravisMichelle
  • Oh this is my jam! Just to get all the low hanging fruit out of the way:
    Metallica, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Chili Peppers, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Cranberries, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins.

I’ll never forget when I heard Nirvana’s Nevermind album for the first time and saw the light at the end of the 80s-hair-band tunnel.
    April_May_JuneTravismajjam0770MichelleDoctor_Nick
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited July 2018
    Mike Patton has to be one of the more underrated vocalists. Dude has range.

April_May_JuneTravisMichelle
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2018
    The Palladium in Hollywood. Siouxsie and the Banshees with first time touring Love And Rockets. I could go on for hours about 80’s music.  

@Travis The Pixies great call. Saw them in a club in Hollywood and they opened with Love And Rockets on The Cures 89 tour at Dodger Stadium.

The Place I gotta check out is the 80’s bar which is a few miles from me. Richard Blade host bands and Djs there. I was driving by and saw a Go Gos tribute band on the marque, missed that one tho. 
    TravisMichelleApril_May_JuneFreiberg
    I wish there was a 'love' option on these comments!  I was so into the whole 'Madchester'/British wave thing.  Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans UK, The Farm, but also the Soup Dragons (who I think were Scottish but still had a similar sound).  

Bay Area peeps, this will bring back some memories.  http://www.rocklists.com/kits-1990.html
    April_May_JuneTravis
  • @Michelle I don't know that I've listened to the Head on the Door (just the hits from it), but I love Disintegration. Amazing record.

If we're talking 90s alt rock, the conversation requires a Sebadoh reference. Being exposed to Barlow as a bummed out teenager was such a beautiful, excruciating gift from god. Through his lyrics he, in a very gutty and punishing way, articulated so much of the way I felt. They were also quirky and amazing. They rocked super hard, and they had these beautiful ballads that would zap out your soul.

April_May_June
    kuman07 said:

I went to high school with him for one year before I moved to the Bay Area.   A lot of my friends from then who have run into him or caught up with him in various ways over the years have all said he turned into a complete ass.  He's talented though.  I'll give him that.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2018
    @kingbee67 Oh man, that's awesome. I got to see them, but not until the reunion. At least I caught them before Kim left again, but I would have loved to see them in the initial run, I didn't really know about them until they were done (probably finally heard them around 93 or so). They were still really good though. Santiago is SUPER underrated as a guitarist. He isn't terribly flashy, but talk about a dude who is always doing precisely the right thing and has a distinctive style.

@kuman07 Man, I wanted to BE Mike Patton when I was a teenager. I was a singer in a band (god only knows why, I can't sing for shit) and based on what I saw him do I would try doing crazy stuff like choking myself with the mic cable and flopping around. That dude had such an amazing voice and so much style. Great stuff!

@freiberg.justin I forgot about Costello! How could I forget Costello? This Year's Model is an amazing record. Oh man, I've logged a lot of time with that one. Lipstick Vogue, man! Bruce Thomas is a frigging god (another super underrated player)! Costello was always a staple in my house growing up. Something pretty much my whole family could agree on. What an amazing career that dude has had.
    kingbee67April_May_Junekuman07Freiberg
  • kuman07 said:

I love this song and video so much, but I always felt so bad for the fish at the end of the video ... like, they put it back into water after filming, and it was ok, right?  I've always wondered about that.    :D
    MichelleTravisFlukeskuman07
  • kuman07 said:

I love this song and video so much, but I always felt so bad for the fish at the end of the video ... like, they put it back into water after filming, and it was ok, right?  I've always wondered about that.    :D
    My head canon says yes!
    April_May_June
  • Travis said:
    kuman07 said:

My head canon says yes!
    Mine too!  In my head, that fish is *still* around, living a very happy, healthy life off of all the royalties it made from its appearance in that video.     :D 
    Travis
  • That fish swims in Dom! (and deservedly so, that fish laughs in Tom Cruise's face when he talks about doing his own stunts)
    April_May_June
  • edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm just gonna drop this off here. *

*technically 2000, but it always felt like a 90s track to me.
    April_May_Junecdrivexulsolar22
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Travis said:
    I'm just gonna drop this off here. *

*technically 2000, but it always felt like a 90s track to me.
    whenever i see the cover art for that and Under the Western Freeway, 'A.M 180' instantly gets stuck in my head and I get the urge to re-watch 28 Days Later.

Traviscdrive
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited July 2018
    I did a search in this thread and I can't believe it's missing The Violent Femmes

I was pretty young during their prime years, but I got WAY into them when I was in my last couple years of high school.
    I usually skip Blister in the Sun. :)

Michellekingbee67April_May_JuneTravisDeeDoctor_Nick

April_May_JuneTravis
  • @Chinaski That's right! I haven't seen that movie in so long that I forgot they used AM 180 in it. Good call, dude! That song is so crazy good. Did you ever hear Admiral Radley (a side project with Lytle and another guy from Grandaddy with two of the members of Earlimart)? Their I Heart California record had some really good stuff on it.
    Chinaski
  • fuck yea 80's synth

MichelleApril_May_JuneTraviscdrive
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Michelle said:
    Oh god, there are SO many great Cure songs.   That's one of them, for sure.  I've always liked their The Head on the Door and Disintegration albums the best though.  To me, one of their best songs that (to my knowledge) never got airplay is The Blood.

One of the first real songs I learned to play when I picked up Bass Guitar in college. I can still play it my muscle memory.

MichelleTraviscdrive
    edited July 2018
    MrX said:
    fuck yea 80's synth

Alison Moyet!  Yasssssss queen!  *Love* her.  Her voice is still strong.  This is from last October.

TravisApril_May_JuneMrX
    Travis said:
    Did you ever hear Admiral Radley (a side project with Lytle and another guy from Grandaddy with two of the members of Earlimart)? Their I Heart California record had some really good stuff on it.
    oh yeah dude for sure. comes out the gate with 3-4 sold songs. it was def a Grandaddy fix at the time.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2018
    The funny thing about this thread is that I'm so excited reading through that I kind of wish I could listen to like 10 albums at once. 

@Chinaski Totally, man! There are a couple of skippable tracks on it, but it really comes out swinging. I really need to go dig into Earlimart some more. Everyone Down Here had some really great stuff on it, but that's as far as I got. 

@April_May_June Great stuff right there! Mad World actually came up on shuffle while I was driving earlier today and I got super excited about it. Tears For Fears were so good. 

Also, 2 words: OINGO BOINGO!!!!!
    FlukesMichelle
    edited July 2018
    Can we add two more words?  Depeche Mode!  :heart:

FlukesTravisApril_May_JuneMrX