Thoughts?

Comments

• *Puke*

No. 
    Dummy
  • ca1289aca1289a Maryland
    Touché 
  • ca1289aca1289a Maryland
    I mean, he’s currently shacked up with his aunt. 
  • ca1289a said:
    I mean, he’s currently shacked up with his aunt. 
    They weren't raised as siblings, nor do they know they are related. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I can deal with a man unwittingly getting it on with his biological Aunt who he didn't grow up with or have any known familial connection too. I can even understand them learning of their blood ties at some point and dismissing them to carry on their relationship.

I cannot, under any circumstance, get behind Jon marrying his cousin who he grew up and still looks at as his little sister. Same thing with Arya, since I've seen those theories floated out. They will always look at each other as brother and sister, no matter what the paternity tests say.
  • I can deal with a man unwittingly getting it on with his biological Aunt who he didn't grow up with or have any known familial connection too. I can even understand them learning of their blood ties at some point and dismissing them to carry on their relationship.

I cannot, under any circumstance, get behind Jon marrying his cousin who he grew up and still looks at as his little sister. Same thing with Arya, since I've seen those theories floated out. They will always look at each other as brother and sister, no matter what the paternity tests say.
    Agreed 100%.  Especially because Jon grew up seeing Sansa and Arya as his sisters the entire time.  That is 100% wrong in my book.  That is what makes Jaime and Cersei's relationship disgusting and appalling.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    ITT - The illusion of incest is gross! Actual incest, I can live with it.
    JoshTheBlackDummy
  • I don't think it's a stretch based on GRRM's original sketch pairing Jon & Arya, but I don't think the show or the books are going that way if they ever were. That said, I ship them a little ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Catelyn kept them apart as much as she could, constantly reinforcing her viewpoint that Jon was not really a Stark. Of all the siblings, Sansa certainly took that to heart and barely had anything to do with him. If you factor in wards/hostages, it wasn't unheard of for children raised together to marry, and considering all the incest floating around, I wouldn't be particularly offended by cousins who previously thought they were half siblings, especially if it was critical for land rights, etc. Westeros is gonna Westeros. But again, I don't think that's currently in the GRRMosphere except through fanfic.
    ca1289a
    JaimieT said:
    ITT - The illusion of incest is gross! Actual incest, I can live with it.
    Yeah, pretty much. At least from a psychological perspective, that's how humans are wound.

Although, both examples are actual incest. 
    asmallcat
  • I’m against all Targaryen incest, even 5th cousins. Dany’s Parents were brother and sister and that happened for generations. I don’t care if there’s wolf’s blood there, Jon only has 6 great grandparents, and he shares 2 of them with Dany. 
  • A family tree is supposed to branch, not braid. 
    gguenotDummyMichelle
  • Opposing intra-family marriage would cut out more than just Targaryens though. Tywin and Joanna Lannister, Rickard and Lyarra Stark, Paxter and Mina (Mace Tyrell's sister) Redwyne--all first cousin marriages. Sansa is often mentioned as a logical, although poor otherwise, match for Sweetrobin. Two of Cregan Stark's sons married their nieces. Although it's not something I'd personally espouse, in ASOIAF, it's nothing, so I don't think anything of it. The only incest marriages in ASOIAF that really bother me are the Targaryen siblings who didn't want to marry like Aerys and Rhaella but were made to anyway, and in those cases the incest makes a terrible situation even worse.

I perused the Tumblr post and agree somewhat that it would be like GRRM to challenge our sensibilities with something we do want and something we don't want, wrapped up together, even though I still don't think Jon and Sansa will end up together.
  • First cousins leave open a door to genetic disorders. 

Jon and Dany have about as many genes in common as full siblings. That’s knocking down the whole damn wall. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    gjulleen said:
    First cousins leave open a door to genetic disorders. 

Jon and Dany have about as many genes in common as full siblings. That’s knocking down the whole damn wall. 
    Kids will look fucked up. Kind of like this:

DoubleA_RonMichellegjulleenswimmythafish
  • Looks like Tommy Lee Jones
    MichelleAll the Chickensca1289a
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 28
    I mean, it's not like I look at any of my cousins and think "yeah, it could happen".  *ick*  No thanks.
    It doesn't make it any better just because it's in the GoT universe and we like the characters.  Jon and Sansa grew up together thinking of each other as siblings.  Why would they then 'get together'?  

gjulleen said:
    First cousins leave open a door to genetic disorders. 

It generally takes a a few generations of inbreeding to see the gene pool shrink and genetic diseases to become more prominent in the family line with a lack of genetic diversity weeding out the diseases.

If the parents who are inbreeding have incredible or good genetics, it will likely take an even longer time before you see the negative affects of inbreeding in their line (assuming their children and grand children kept up the tradition).

Jon and Dany look healthy, and at least Jon doesn't appear to be carrying any genetic mental diseases that are common with Targs (outside of brooding), so their children would likely be fine, but hopefully that's where the familial mating dance stops.

Of course, if the Targaryens had traditionally married siblings for that long, it's unlikely that  Dany would be all that healthy, although theres an argument for Jon since he is isn't a direct product of incest. But GRRM doesn't care that much about real genetics, so who knows what he's thinking.
    duncanpowers
  • I'm not sure that it is "better" because it's in GoT, but all I'm saying is, it is still a semi-frequent thing in Westeros. If we've been told in every book that Targaryens tend towards close-family marriage, and if first cousin marriage has been proposed multiple times in multiple families during the course of the books/show, it should not be shocking if it happens as part of the final act between some of the most important characters. Although I don't think Jon & Sansa will be among them, I imagine we'll see at least a couple sets of cousin (or similar) marriage during the resolution to shore up property rights and whatever.

All the Chickens said: Jon and Dany look healthy, and at least Jon doesn't appear to be carrying any genetic mental diseases that are common with Targs (outside of brooding), so their children would likely be fine, but hopefully that's where the familial mating dance stops.

Of course, if the Targaryens had traditionally married siblings for that long, it's unlikely that  Dany would be all that healthy, although theres an argument for Jon since he is isn't a direct product of incest. But GRRM doesn't care that much about real genetics, so who knows what he's thinking.

Being Azor Ahai Parts 1 & 2 must exempt you from genetic quirks.
  • This is all taking into account that Jon Snow can have kids after having died and brought back to life.  That is something that has been debated quite a bit as well.  With the way the show is going I would assume that he still can but it hasn't really been brought up on the show at all so who knows.