“The First” trailer Sci-fi drama on Hulu

edited July 28 in Other TV
New sci-if show starting September 14th on Hulu that stars Sean Penn:

https://youtu.be/1GvL9quPI10

ElisaJoshuaHeter

Comments

• Trailer doesn't really give a whole lot, but I can see that being good. The music makes me think they are going to mirror the style of Interstellar, which I'm fine with. The "From the Creator of House of Cards" has me a little worried since that show took a steep dive off a cliff. I'll probably still give it a shot. 
    Elisa
  • That does have a distinctly Interstellar feel about it.  A little searching tells me it’s about humans first manned trip to Mars, although the visual language of the trailer tells me it’ll be about the emotional cost of that trip and how it binds humanity while tearing those directly involved with the project to pieces.  Honestly I think that sounds great, sign me up!  I never watched House of Cards so I can’t speak to Willimon’s track record, but after Handmaid’s Tale I trust Hulu to make a high quality product.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Though I kinda despise Sean Penn, I am willing to give it a couple of episodes.
    CapeGabe
  • Elisa said:
    Though I kinda despise Sean Penn, I am willing to give it a couple of episodes.
    That's funny, I'm a huge space nerd and I just texted my cousin that I'm so torn because I want to watch the show because of the subject but don't want to watch Sean Penn.

I guess I can always hope that on the voyage over his cabin decompresses and he gets blown into the vacuum.
    Elisa
  • edited September 15
    Season 1 dropped in its entirety today on Hulu. Watched the 1st episode and thought it was good. It’s very slow (as reviews stated), but the 45 someodd minutes passed by quickly if that makes sense. I’m in it for the entire series as of now. 

EDIT:

the makn music used sounded familiiar to me, but I couldn’t place it. Then it hit me, Man of Steel (Cavil) theme. Not sure if anyone else will watch, but if you do can you confirm that it’s really similar?). 
    Elisa
  • KingKobra said:
    Season 1 dropped in its entirety today on Hulu. Watched the 1st episode and thought it was good. It’s very slow (as reviews stated), but the 45 someodd minutes passed by quickly if that makes sense. I’m in it for the entire series as of now. 

EDIT:

the makn music used sounded familiiar to me, but I couldn’t place it. Then it hit me, Man of Steel (Cavil) theme. Not sure if anyone else will watch, but if you do can you confirm that it’s really similar?). 
    Very slow? It's like video on Quaaludes! I prefer dialogue over action but I prefer some dialogue in my dialogue. Whole lotta shots of people staring off into the distance and thinking. I'm 3 1/2 episodes in and they are talking!

OK, enough of the sarcasm. The pacing is painfully slow. The characters don't seem like astronauts to me, a bit too unstable for LEO (low-earth-orbit) let alone a much more psychologically demanding 2 1/2 year isolation. This class must have been from the wear diapers and drive across the country to kill someone astronaut class. I know they are trying to make it dramatic but this is just not how astronauts are.

I'll watch the whole thing because I'm a space nerd but the space nerd in me is not liking it so far.
    Elisa
  • @CapeGabe itnwont get any better if you’re looking for a space nerd fix. This is a drama show that uses the Mars Mission as a backdrop. It’s much more about the families/people than the mission. The mission and tech are just enhancers/back drop. 

I finished and this show keeps its pacing, but somehow kept me going. I don’t mind slow dramas, so that may be part of it. As long as people don’t go in expecting a space travel or super space nerd type show they should be ok. 

Overall I thought the show was good. It’s not something I’ll heavily recommend, because of the pacing and that it’s more of a drama not sci-fi show. There are things that still don’t make sense to me, because it seems the show never really took those plots anywhere, but maybe that’s just me. Looking forward to what other people think. 
    Elisa
  • Finished the show and it didn't fill The Expanse sized hole in my heart. Really had nothing to do with going to Mars. Could have been a story about a cargo ship captain going out to sea and wouldn't have to change too much.

That being said it wasn't completely awful. It was OK. It makes me appreciate The Leftovers so much more seeing someone else tackle intense emotional content with much less skill.

The acting was barely OK. I think the only good performance was the woman who played Sean Penn's daughter. Everyone else just seemed to either not understand what they were doing or just mailing it in.

I did like the use of futuristic technology by just using it like it was normal, no exposition about how stuff works to someone who should know it just for the audiences benefit.
    KingKobra
  • Spicoli goes to space seems interesting on the face of it, but the trailer seems like it will be more about the struggle to get there and the families of the people who are leaving or left. That's not nearly as compelling to me.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    E1 dragged and put me to sleep tbqh - pass.