611 - Fugitive Number One

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director:Jon Avnet
Writer: Taylor Elmore & Keith Schreier

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    God damn if Wynn Duffy doesn't have the luck of all Kentucky on his side.
    Original_Josephksa1001Travis
  • edited April 2015
    Ok, that fight scene was pretty brutal. Who woulda thought Mikey's death would be one of the most affective of the series? And how does Wynn Duffy keep cheating death so many times? Guys got more lives than a cat. Oh, also Katherine died too. Interesting end to her character. Didn't expect that. When they start killing off main characters left and right, you know the end is very near.
    ksa1001pavlovsbellTravis
  • Ava needs the disappearer from Breaking Bad. Or at least a good criminal lawyer to help her leverage that money for some sort of deal for herself. Better call Saul, Ava!

Travis
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @trippy I'm sure it was a precaution to make sure he didn't have a change of heart (or it wasn't a trap) and shoot her in the back.

Loved the episode. 

The look on Avery's face when he found out Catherine was dead. He had the most smug look when he was speaking of owning the street Raylan rode his bike down....then BOOM. All gone. He can express more emotion with his eyebrows than most day-players can with their entire body.

Bravo Sierra that that lunk-head "Michael" would be a fan of classical music.

Loved that scene. If you would have told me a year ago that Mikey's death would be moving I wouldn't have believed you.

I'm a bit uneasy that they seem to have Raylan going off the reservation on his own. Besides having no backup, if he has Art coming after him, that's a chance for should-be-retired Art to bite the big one.
    Original_JosephpavlovsbellTravis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    That scene in the saloon -- sorry, the Portal -- was staged and shot beautifully (down to the black and white hats).  All the smoke they must have used reminded me of the BCS Insider podcast, where Schnauz remarked on the lengthy filming time of the scenes in Chuck's home.  They have to break every hour to give the crew's lungs a break from all the smoke they have to use to get the lighting effect.  I wonder if Boon will be deprived of his much-desired showdown with Raylan, or if Loretta will take him out with the foreshadowed Apple Pie.  I hope it's Loretta, because she deserves the right to put him down after all his creepiness with her.

I read in a couple of places that Tim said, "I've been to Moria, but not through the mines," which would make me love him even more, but it sure sounded like "Mordor" to me.

And gah, that Mikey -- sorry, Mike -- and Katherine fight was unexpected and brutal.  When did Mikey become a Terminator?  Even more unexpected was the tenderness and intimacy of Wynn holding him.  I half-expected him to kiss Mikey.  If Markham takes Wynn out in revenge, I hope he and Mikey are reunited in the afterlife and get to watch women's tennis and listen to classical music together for all eternity.

And that closing High Noon shot of Raylan walking down the street?  Man, I'm gonna miss this show.

CoryOriginal_Josephksa1001Travis
    @pavlovsbell I'm hoping that Boon bites it in a spectacular fashion at the hands of Raylan. They've hyped him up as a possible equal of Raylan's quick draw skills...I'm hoping it's a misdirection and he fails horribly.
    @ksa1001  I really want Boon to be deprived of his showdown with Raylan simply because he thinks he's worthy.  It could also be fantastic if Constable Bob takes him out, but I'm still rooting for Loretta to show him what's what.
    @pavlovsbell Yeah Loretta would be deserving of that as he's personally been tormenting her. Leave her arc on a badass note all but guaranteeing she's the new Mags.
    pavlovsbell
    edited April 2015
    There seems to be a pattern this season of people being undone by betrayal.  Or maybe that's every season, but it seems especially pronounced in S6.  Boon has delusions of grandeur with Raylan, but he also seems deluded about Loretta's interest in him.  I'm also reminded of the Angel finale, when a character is outraged by the way he's taken out because he mistakenly believed he was Angel's nemesis ( I know @Cory will get this reference).  But who knows?  This show has consistently been surprising me lately. 

I will say that the only scenes that didn't work for me were the Ava scenes.  I don't think the episode benefited from scenes of her and Zachariah lugging the money around.  You could remove those and just have the marshals just missing them.  And boo to Grubes being long dead and not Ian McShane.  I also wonder if there's a reason why Ava keeps bringing up her daddy?  We've never heard of him before, have we?  Is it just to have another character with daddy issues, or is it to connect Ava with the mines like Raylan and Boyd?  It just sticks out to me every time she mentions him because (if it's good writing) it must be purposeful.
    Travis
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Even more unexpected was the tenderness and intimacy of Wynn holding him.  I half-expected him to kiss Mikey. 

I thought they were going to too! <3

And I love that scene that you referenced.
    pavlovsbell
  • And with that Grubes death reveal, everyone's hopes for Ian McShane to appear on Justified were forever crushed.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Man, that was epic. Shut my goddamn mouth for being critical last week. Yost just stitched me a Clown suit.
    Travis
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited April 2015
    I couldn't believe that episode was only an hour. So much going on.

I'm a little annoyed with how unreasonable everyone is w/r/t Raylan and Ava. Art knows about that money from Season 2, but nobody else seriously has cause to suspect Raylan would do that. Art knows he's headed to Florida, and Raylan's still keeping in touch. Just seems to have come out of nowhere. The degree of Vasquez' douchiness this season also seems like a bit of a retcon. 

Tim's getting at least half the good lines this season

"I've been to Mordor, but not through the mines."

"Well see the joke here is that I give you directions back to Lexington..."

But the scene with Raylan in the Sheriff's office might have beat everything else, even the scene in the Pizza Parlor.

Travis
  • For me, the most heartbreaking scene was Carl and Boyd. It's a very Leonard thing to do, but it's still hard to see that there isn't much more to any of the criminals, including Boyd and Ava, than getting what they want. The only ones who believe in anything else are mooks like Mikey and Carl.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd sacrifice himself for Ava at the end, just to try to prove to himself that he stood for something, but my bet is he goes out trying his best to get that money.
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

WYNN LIVES!!! Damn, that scene was so powerful. Brutal and touching and for what it's worth I also gave it about a 25% chance that Wynn was going to kiss Mikey too. I was starting to doubt it, but my little cockroach who could lives for at least another week.

I know I should be conditioned to it by now, he's certainly done it enough times to teach me, but I was still surprised to see Boyd whack Carl so coldly. As soon as the quickness of it wore off I knew that I should've known but I just didn't. I'm not a huge fan of the way that they are totally extracting Boyd's soul this season. Maybe time is just messing with my memory of the past, but I remember him at least having developed some sense of honor once he rose to the upper levels, at least when it came to "his guys" (I haven't forgotten that we are still talking about a guy who was a Nazi who blew up churches). Still, it was really jarring to see him screw Carl over and then kill him, even more so than when he killed Dewey (which was pretty jarring, maybe I saw it coming but it was tough to wrap my head around).

@Original_Joseph Well said. I could definitely see them doing something like that, although the way that things have played out and the way that they have evolved Boyd they better get it just right. They've upped the degree of difficulty on that scenario significantly.

@pavlovsbell I agree about Ava and Zacharia. I felt like with everything else going on there just wasn't really room for them. It almost kind of felt like they believed that they had to give us an update on them, but they really didn't. Obviously I haven't seen the next one yet, but I don't see why it would have been a bad decision to leave us in the dark on them for the week and catch up next time.

I wonder if this all ends with Art saving Raylan, again, or maybe sacrificing himself for him.

Since we're speculating on it I think Boone has to end up in a gun fight with Raylan, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else took him out. Maybe he has Raylan pinned and Loretta gets him from the side or back while he is making a speech about gunfighters in the movies or something like that. That's the scenario where I would lay my bet though my batting average hasn't been great this season.

Basically it's all been said, but I loved this episode. So many great confrontations. So much great dialog. Only 2 to go and to get all of this tied out I have a feeling they're going to be pretty packed in with quality stuff. I can't wait.

Original_Joseph
  • Such a good episode.  I'm with everyone else on Mikey's death.  Loved seeing the realism of a gunshot not disabling a trained person like Mikey.  Let that be a lesson to all you would-be murderers ; if you're going to kill someone, make sure you shoot them in the head.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    They are certainly giving Tim the best lines of the season.  And yeah, it's crazy how often I forget, because he's so damn charming and watchable, but Boyd is a very bad man.  Just the worst.  You can totally see why Raylan hates him so much.  You wonder how many times before he made it out of Harlan that he forgot about Boyd being a bad man.
    Travis
  • I don't know if anyone is in the L.A. area, but I got an e-mail about this and figured I would toss it up here in case it is useful information for anybody. They're doing An Evening with Justified at the Paley Center in L.A. next Wednesday.

http://www.paleycenter.org/2015-justified/

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • A Lagavulin episode. Nice!