Cord Cutting tips

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I cut the cord late last year and use DirecTV Now for my TV service. I pay about $35 for my package which includes HBO and Showtime (I get HBO for free and a discount on service since I have an unlimited plan). I also have Netflix and Amazon. I save over $100/month from what I was paying. For locals I use an antenna and HDHOMERUN with Channels DVR service (ATV4K is my “hub”).  

In the end it really comes down to how much TV you watch and what you watch. Some people don’t watch enough TV so buying season passes digitally or waiting for NetFlix, Amazon or Hulu to get shows works. It’s going to take leg work and lots of time and patience to find the medium that gets you the content you watch at a reasonable price. 
  • Here’s another thread with a similar subject a few memebers chimed in with what fhey do:

http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/4452/getting-off-cable-looking-for-suggestions
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    We've been using PS Vue (Playstation Vue) service to replace our cable package. It's good because it has a DVR type function that saves the episodes of all of your favorite shows for up to a month (or longer if they are available On demand from that channel).

There aren't many shows we watch on basic cable, so we can easily freeze the subscription during the times when theres nothing on that we want to watch for a few months. 

Plus, even when we freeze the PS Vue account, I can use my parents Direct TV login to login to basic cable channels apps on Roku or Firetv (or my phone and cast it to out tv), and watch brand new episodes when they air, or watch live sports on ESPN. It doesn't cost them any extra or affect their account in any way, so they don't care. 

This Fall when we would normally resubscribe to PS Vue, we are thinking of going with Youtube TV instead. It costs slightly less for the same package and Youtube TV has a true cloud DVR. The only issue with that is that I Amazon (Firestick or Fire TV devices) has blocked YouTube and YouTube TV apps from their devices, so you have to use a roku, apple TV,  or Chromecast for that service.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @KingKobra
    Who do you get internet from? 
    Cox who is the only provider available to me where I live. I do wish I could shop for internet service though. My biggest recommendation is that if you are thinking of an OTT service use the free trials to see which one works best for your home and service provider. What works for 5 people may not work best for you, so always good to test what’s available. 
    We also subscribe to Netflix,, Hulu and HBO Now, Amazon Prime(we use Prime for shopping, but the streaming is nice also). And it's all still cheaper than regular cable or satellite. Plus we can cancel or freeze our subscriptions to Hulu and the like when theres not a show on we want to watch.
    We will subscribe to Starz for $8 a month whenever a new season of Outlander comes on, and cancel again.

Netflix and HBO we keep year round because there's always something on there we can watch or try out.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    We officially cut out cable about a month ago and I've been really happy with the choice. The internet is only $65 plus tax a month, and I was close to $145 a month with zero extras.

So I'm still new at this whole thing, but I think the biggest thing that has helped me has been checking out deals everyday.

I think someone on here posted about getting HBO with Hulu.

I looked into it and was able to get Hulu at its normal price and HBO was only an extra $5 a month for the next 6 months, instead of the $15 I was paying HBO directly.

Im also using Sling TV with its DVR and have had zero complaints so far. Granted, not many shows are on so maybe it gets worse in the fall.

And hey, cheap plug, if you like horror movies Bald Move was running a deal for Shudder which got me that for 30 days, and they gave me another 30 for their network problems a few weeks ago. #ad
  • edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We had Shudder for a while. Hubby is a huge horror fan and writes some horror. We axed it for now while we are in austerity mode but I'm sure we'll get it again. The other awesome one he loves for film is Filmstruck.
    Criterion has a great catalog of movies. The bonus with Filmstruck is that you can see movies that are out of print still. 
  • For live TV I have tried out Hulu Live, PS Vue, Sling TV, and YouTube TV. None were bad but I ended up going with YouTube TV. Unlimited DVR space and your recordings are good for 9 months was what put it above the rest for me. I also really like it's interface over the others as well, thou the only one I just didn't like the interface for was Sling TV. It has been over a year since I tried it though so they may have improved since I used it. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Read the title, thought it was regarding umbilical cord cutting and was coming in to reply “leave it to the doctor” :smiley: hubby couldn’t stomach cutting the cord for any of our kids LOL!!
    Teresa from Concord
  • Do you have an HDTV?  You can get an antenna for less than $30 that can pick up some basic channels for free (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc).  I used that for awhile but have since just stopped watching regular TV basically.  I only miss access to sports sometimes and I used to watch Jeopardy when I could catch it but I don't really miss it that much.

I cut off cable a couple years ago and has been fine.  Just depends on what is important to you in your life.   
  • KingKobra said:
    @KingKobra
    Cox who is the only provider available to me where I live. I do wish I could shop for internet service though. My biggest recommendation is that if you are thinking of an OTT service use the free trials to see which one works best for your home and service provider. What works for 5 people may not work best for you, so always good to test what’s available. 
    My options are just Comcast or getting a hotspot through T-Mobile, but the hotspot speeds are not as fast. So I am sticking with Comcast since I know it, it's reliable etc (I know people will argue with that but I've never had problems with Comcast service unless there was a major storm that also took out electric). Between cancelling all the TV and lowering the speed to a speed I will actually use, it cut my bill down quite a bit.
    I read above that you used to have a 400mbps speed which is crazy fast.  You can easily dial that back a fair amount and be just fine.  I highly doubt anything has changed in the past year and a half but when I did home theater installs the general recommendation was trying to have 30mbps for streaming 4k content.  Also take into account that is on 1 device so if you have a family of 5 all streaming you would need a much faster speed.  From what I gather it's just you and a significant other so you would be perfectly fine with a much lower speed.  The other main thing that eats up your bandwidth is gaming online.  Also make sure you have good wi-fi coverage throughout your house and you'll be golden.  Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them in regards to internet speeds and the such.
  • KingKobra said:
    @KingKobra
    My options are just Comcast or getting a hotspot through T-Mobile, but the hotspot speeds are not as fast. So I am sticking with Comcast since I know it, it's reliable etc (I know people will argue with that but I've never had problems with Comcast service unless there was a major storm that also took out electric). Between cancelling all the TV and lowering the speed to a speed I will actually use, it cut my bill down quite a bit.
    I read above that you used to have a 400mbps speed which is crazy fast.  You can easily dial that back a fair amount and be just fine.  I highly doubt anything has changed in the past year and a half but when I did home theater installs the general recommendation was trying to have 30mbps for streaming 4k content.  Also take into account that is on 1 device so if you have a family of 5 all streaming you would need a much faster speed.  From what I gather it's just you and a significant other so you would be perfectly fine with a much lower speed.  The other main thing that eats up your bandwidth is gaming online.  Also make sure you have good wi-fi coverage throughout your house and you'll be golden.  Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them in regards to internet speeds and the such.
    It depends on where you’re streaming from. Amazon recommends 25 Mbps for UHD. Personally I would recommend 50Mbps minimum for 4K as you have to factor headroom into it and anyone else using the internet at the same time as you.i don’t thInk Angie is using 4K streaming so 50-100 should be “good”. 
    awookiee
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited July 2018
    I also cut the cord from Comcast last fall and just have their internet and YoutubeTV. Haven't even noticed not having cable television.

Biggest problem I see is that the cable companies have all figured out that traditional cable TV is on the way out, and the business model is quickly adjusting to it. The media-scape has become even more a la carte than ever. This used to be the battle-cry of the cord-cutters, to have the ability to pick and choose what to pay for, but just having internet and a couple of streaming services and you're right back to about the same price (how convenient for them you now don't get any bundle pricing for internet access). If you wanted to subscribe to all the main streaming services and have internet, it would be way more per month than whatever the highest premium cable subscription would have been not long ago.

Add to that we're getting into the situation that each studio now wants to have it's own streaming service (Marvel, DC, CBS, ... ad nauseam). Even past that it's to the point where streaming services have their own subscription channels for content within the paid-for content (cough, amazon prime, cough)

How long until people long to return to the days of just having one bill to cover getting all the shows/movies? Will this model collapse on itself from just pure dilution? Will we see at some point where streaming services start acquiring each other (i.e. Netflix buys Hulu, both are acquired by Amazon, etc...)?

And in the end it's not that big of a deal for those of us on here who are all TV/Movie nerds to figure out what they want to do, but when my Mom asks about getting rid of cable TV and what to replace it with, it's just a blank stare after about 10 seconds of explaining the streaming-media landscape, which I'm sure is the response from a large majority of the general public.
    Elisa
  • Yeah, I went from 400 mbps to 150, which is plenty. There are only two of us and even though hubby works from home, he has a dedicated line set up by his employer, so his work is not on our network. Just my work one day a week and our fun stuff, which doesn't include gaming or anything.

Funny, since I downgraded, my speed test results are the same. Between that and cutting the cable TV, it cut my bill in half. I don't even have a device that can do 400 mbps. I probably signed up for that in the past on some kind of special and then the price went up or something.
    Did you run that speedtest when you were hardwired into the router or through wifi?  Even through wifi right next to the router you're going to lose quite a bit of speed unless you are connected to the 5G connection.  It also depends on the time of the day and how many other people in the neighborhood are using their internet.  There's tons of things that actually effect wifi speed.  
  • Does anyone use YouTubeTV? thoughts? worth the $? I havent watched live TV in years--- I just stream stuff, but sometimes we miss watching live news channels
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    gguenot said:
    Does anyone use YouTubeTV? thoughts? worth the $? I havent watched live TV in years--- I just stream stuff, but sometimes we miss watching live news channels

I'd trust their bandwidth over any other internet TV service... They have the infrastructure. 
    gguenot
  • gguenot said:
    Does anyone use YouTubeTV? thoughts? worth the $? I havent watched live TV in years--- I just stream stuff, but sometimes we miss watching live news channels
    Each OTT has their pluses and minuses. What I suggest is to try the free trial for each to see what works best for you. With the endless variations of setups and then the performance of each OTT depending on a persons service providers connection to the OTTs CDN, it’s best to just test it out. What works great for me or someone else may be pure crap for you. I’ve heard good and bad about all providers, what is usually comes down to is channel selection, price and performance of said OTT service for an individual. 
    gguenot
  • Yeah, I went from 400 mbps to 150, which is plenty. There are only two of us and even though hubby works from home, he has a dedicated line set up by his employer, so his work is not on our network. Just my work one day a week and our fun stuff, which doesn't include gaming or anything.

Funny, since I downgraded, my speed test results are the same. Between that and cutting the cable TV, it cut my bill in half. I don't even have a device that can do 400 mbps. I probably signed up for that in the past on some kind of special and then the price went up or something.
    Did you run that speedtest when you were hardwired into the router or through wifi?  Even through wifi right next to the router you're going to lose quite a bit of speed unless you are connected to the 5G connection.  It also depends on the time of the day and how many other people in the neighborhood are using their internet.  There's tons of things that actually effect wifi speed.  
    Through wifi.. But that's good enough for me. That's how I use it anyway. 
    More or less clarifying that the speeds you pay for are hardwired speeds.  If your device is usually within good range of your router and is 5g capable, I recommend connecting to that instead of the standard 2.4G signal.  5g signals typically don't reach as far but they are much faster.  
    I just want to vent for a moment and bitch about the fact that Google won't allow their youtube or Youtube tv apps on the Amazon devices (Firestick and Fire TV). It's such an unnecessary hassle for consumers, and it doesn't improve anyone's bottom line, especially Google's. 

Yes, there are workarounds such as using the Silk or Firefox browsers on the Fire TV device and directly going to the tv.youtube.com website, but again, it's dumb and unnecessary. 
  • edited August 2018
    Yeah, I went from 400 mbps to 150, which is plenty. There are only two of us and even though hubby works from home, he has a dedicated line set up by his employer, so his work is not on our network. Just my work one day a week and our fun stuff, which doesn't include gaming or anything.

Through wifi.. But that's good enough for me. That's how I use it anyway. 
    More or less clarifying that the speeds you pay for are hardwired speeds.  If your device is usually within good range of your router and is 5g capable, I recommend connecting to that instead of the standard 2.4G signal.  5g signals typically don't reach as far but they are much faster.  
    Now is probably when I should tell you I'm an IT person? Lol
    hahahhahahahah.  I do remember seeing posts in a previous discussion with someone mentioning they work in IT, clearly that was you and I don't pay enough attention to who posts stuff and what they do.  I am lol'ing at myself so hard right now.
  • I just want to vent for a moment and bitch about the fact that Google won't allow their youtube or Youtube tv apps on the Amazon devices (Firestick and Fire TV). It's such an unnecessary hassle for consumers, and it doesn't improve anyone's bottom line, especially Google's. 

Yes, there are workarounds such as using the Silk or Firefox browsers on the Fire TV device and directly going to the tv.youtube.com website, but again, it's dumb and unnecessary. 
    Good god, don't even get me started...

Why do two, $trillion dollar companies need to be in this endless petty battle that only hurts the end user (i.e. us)

Needing multiple devices just to get content to my media systems is beyond annoying. I like Amazon's fire devices, and have always been a fan of Google chromecast since day one. If fierce competitors like AMD and Intel can cross licence x86 hardware code than certainty Google and Amazon can get along.

I am uterly fed up with Roku devices and wish there was an easy YoutubeTV app for my fire stick.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2018
    I got fed up with Roku too. I decided Chromecast was best for me since I CAN cast Amazon Prime from my Chrome browser tab. Otherwise my DVD player, TV and Wii U all have an Amazon Prime app, lol. I don't watch Prime that much, but I'm always watching YouTube and Twitch. Google doesn't know Twitch is Amazon yet, shhhhh.
    awookieehisdudeness915