The Expanse Book Club

So, I couldn't wait another year to continue the story where we left at the end of Season 3 and got books 4-7. Couple of questions:
  1. Are books 1-3 different enough to go back and read? From Jim's comments, Book 3 - Abaddon's Gate feels worthy, because there is substantial differences, even though it ends up with the same result. 
  2. Are the novella's worth my time? I'm definitely going to read The Churn, because everyone talks about that one. But I don't know much about the others. 
  3. Anyone interested in a BM Book Club here on the forums? I just finished Book 4 and would love to chat with some Bald Movers about it. The epilogue was a sick tease. 
Elisa

Comments

• I finished book 1 yesterday and started 2 this morning, and I’m actually only about 1/3 through season 2 (I’m a late arrival, but now that I’m on board I’ll be caught up fast).  I’d say Book 1 is definitely worth the read, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up in the same place but takes a very different journey to get there, especially the season 2 Eros stuff.  And thus far into Book 2 the characters have been excellent (with the exception of Holden, who I hated in the first book too, which is a whole thing but I won’t get into that here) so I’d say 2 is worth a read also.  And at that point might as well read 3 just to be a completist, haha right?

As for your second and third points, I can’t speak to the novellas, I’ll read them but haven’t gotten that far yet.  And yes, I would absolutely be down for a book club.  Give me a week or two and I’ll be through Book 4 and ready to get involved!
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I have read the first 4 books and all the novella's up to book 4.  See one of the author's recommended reading order:  http://www.howtoread.me/the-expanse-reading-order/

I definitely recommend reading all the books and novellas.  I personally won't go further ahead, because I like to be in line with the TV Show, as much as possible.

I am definitely down for a book club reread up to book 4.  Welcome to this awesome world.

FreibergCapeGabecalebthrowerFlukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'm currently reading book 4 and I read the first three while season three was on the air. I'll add my voice to the opinion that they're worth reading. Season three and book three are definitely different enough that the book is quite interesting, but I think the added internal processes, background, and detail are worth reading all the books for.
    FreibergElisa
  • I finished book three yesterday and even though i knew how it was going to come out it still had me on the edge of my seat. I'm on a huge long waiting list at the library for book four so i don't know when i'll get it. I did read The Churn, Gods of Risk and Strange Dogs. They are all really great and i recommend reading them. They don't interfere with or spoil the main story at all. 
    Elisa
  • I loved the first 4.75ish books in this series. I just finished the 6th book and can't tell if I liked it less or if I blew through them so fast I ran out of steam (interested in others opinions). Book 3 and season 3 diverge plenty so I would say definitely read book 3 and on, at the least. But seriously the first few books are really strong and don't suffer from some of the same short comings as the shaky acting early on. I'd be down for a book club situation of some kind
  • edited August 3
    I think you can get away with not reading the first two books, but the third one is pretty different, they changed several storylines as well as omitted POV characters, so it's worth reading. That being said I'd recommend the first two also. The first book is quite unique because there are only two POV's, Holden and Miller. It gives a lot more insight into their characters, especially Miller. I think part of why season 1 was a bit of a mess in the beginning was because they had to mix up the first two books to have a larger scope of what's going on on Earth etc. and not just have those two characters.
    I'm down for a book club but is there enough interest? I think we tried a Stephen King one a while back but it pretty much failed. But if it's happening I'm in!

@Byrdie I agree with you on book 6... frankly I had to force myself sometimes to keep on reading. SPOILERS for Babylon's Ashes from here on out: I think the material was stretched way too thin, I didn't care about a lot of characters eg. Pa, Marco, Filip, didn't really see the point of bringing back Prax... Also, even though Marco destroyed Earth and a lot of other stuff, I don't think he was a great villain/opponent/whatever. I only could see him as this obsessive, annoying asshole. I don't think he was particularly well written, his motives were never made clear, had no depth of character. Such a shame because this universe is brimming with fascinating characters, and they couldn't get a better one for the book's "big bad"? Eh. Pa had way more depth and Filip went through great character development but somehow I still wasn't interested in them, and there wasn't enough of the Roci & co to keep my attention for long. I barely just started book 7 but I'm already a bit wary of it, hope it gets better though.
    Byrdie
  • Reni said:
    SPOILERS for Babylon's Ashes from here on out: I think the material was stretched way too thin, I didn't care about a lot of characters eg. Pa, Marco, Filip, didn't really see the point of bringing back Prax... Also, even though Marco destroyed Earth and a lot of other stuff, I don't think he was a great villain/opponent/whatever. I only could see him as this obsessive, annoying asshole. I don't think he was particularly well written, his motives were never made clear, had no depth of character.
    When I first read the book in my head I cast TJ Miller as Marco. I thought he was the only actor and person who had enough douche to pull off Marco.
    Reni
  • I just finished book 2 and would love to discuss it.  How should we go about this?  Should each book get its own spoiler discussion where we can freely talk once we’ve finished the book?
  • CapeGabe said:
    When I first read the book in my head I cast TJ Miller as Marco. I thought he was the only actor and person who had enough douche to pull off Marco.
    I try not to imagine actual actors when I envision the characters, but yeah, that's a fair amount of douche! I'd imagined him to be more handsome though, lol.
  • Reni said:
    CapeGabe said:
    I try not to imagine actual actors when I envision the characters, but yeah, that's a fair amount of douche! I'd imagined him to be more handsome though, lol.
    I usually don't either yet there he was in my head.
  • It reaches aout, it reaches out..
    After watching season 3 I made a hard burn through all the 7 books on audible, used up a lot of juice strapped  in on my crash couch.
    Doors and corners, that's where they get you.  :-)

hypergenesbFreiberg
  • I just finished book 2 and would love to discuss it.  How should we go about this?  Should each book get its own spoiler discussion where we can freely talk once we’ve finished the book?
    I would think each book needs its own new thread as we go that way the spoiler warning is front and center
    FreibergCapeGabe
  • SPOILERS for book 6

@Reni

Yea that sums it up really nicely. I didn't connect with the new characters and I thought that the character development for Filip was not expressed well at all. He just sort of starts acting differently for little more than Marco being a dick to him a couple times.But give me Amos and Peaches all day
  • I’ve created discussion threads for every book in the series if you’d like to discuss them individually.