Sharp Objects Ep. 4 - "Ripe" - No Book Spoilers!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited July 30 in Other TV
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writer: Vince Calandra

Comments

• Anyone else notice how the music changes for the opening credits. Tonight's had an R&B, John Legend vibe.
    KingKobra
  • So weird...right before the Tupac scene, at about 18:01 (HBO GO) they cut to the scene where they find the girl’s body in the alley in the memorial. Everyone in the foreground is staring at the body, but there’s a guy in the background at the memorial who runs away. I imagine that’s the brother. 
  • Anyone else notice how the music changes for the opening credits. Tonight's had an R&B, John Legend vibe.
    I definitely noticed the music, and the emphasis on the fans in nearly every scene in the first few minutes.  I’m not sure if it’s actually significant or if it’s just an homage but the scene with Det. Willis waking up and recreating moments from the opening of Apocalypse Now was very interesting and made me pay extra attention when Camille was showing Richard around the woods (the jungle, if you will) and when the Doors began playing.
  • While not as depressing as last weeks episode, this one still hit in the gut at the end. Everyone is opening up about their secrets then they drop the mic. 

I have to rewatch the scene again, but did the stepdad have bite marks on his hand (as he served a drink). 
    russkelly
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I found it interesting that the Vickerys only have a bunch of cassettes, no cd's.  Life really doesn't progress much in sleepy little Wind Gap.
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    KingKobra said:
    While not as depressing as last weeks episode, this one still hit in the gut at the end. Everyone is opening up about their secrets then they drop the mic. 

I have to rewatch the scene again, but did the stepdad have bite marks on his hand (as he served a drink). 
    I saw that too.
  • edited July 30
    I've solved it! This episode cements my theory. Adora did it and it all has to do with Tupac vs Biggie. She's on the East Coast in the camp of West Coast. It all makes sense to me now.

OK, really I have no clue what is going on.

It might be that I watch with captions and the opening music's "She's got cupcake kitty curls" might have messed with my brain.
    FreibergMichelleDummyduncanpowers
    It brought more of a Roots feel to me, but yes. 

• russkelly said:
    KingKobra said:
    While not as depressing as last weeks episode, this one still hit in the gut at the end. Everyone is opening up about their secrets then they drop the mic. 

I saw that too.
    Ok was able to get to the scene with HBOGO. It’s a scratched letter J OR possibly a hook. Now I saw hook, because right in the previous scene at the cabin we see flashes of 3 bloody socks on hooks. There was also a scene with three bloody objects (one was a hook), but couldn’t identify on quick watch. 
    russkelly
    So, what's up with the teacher?
    russkellymajjam0770
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Michelle said:
    Right!?! I was like, there's no way this dude is an actual teacher. I'm confused as to why this dude was introduced.
  • Michelle said:
    I feel like this has gotta be the football player we see in the flashbacks. He may also have been the guy that angrily left the bar a couple of episodes earlier.
    MichelleJoshTheBlackMurderbearduncanpowers
  • Michelle said:
    Could be anything, maybe something going on at home which is why he was stressed out after he got the text/call. A moody character to throw you off the scent ;) 

the cabin seems to be a central theme and after tonight’s episode very important in relation to the killings that have happened. 
    MichelleJaimieT
  • I like how they've slowly developed Alan in the background. This episode does a lot with what I think is saying that Marian was actually his daughter as well and showing how he is kind to Camille (despite I believe not being her father). Also, he seems to exhibit the self-harm tendencies that run in the family with his fist biting.

It does, however, seem like they're portraying him as the powerless man that Willis was talking about.
    majjam0770
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 30
    FreibergDummygroovydooley
    I like how they've slowly developed Alan in the background. This episode does a lot with what I think is saying that Marian was actually his daughter as well and showing how he is kind to Camille (despite I believe not being her father). Also, he seems to exhibit the self-harm tendencies that run in the family with his fist biting.

It does, however, seem like they're portraying him as the powerless man that Willis was talking about.

Yeah, I thought he was a sociopath but this episode derailed that. I guess my money is still on Jackie for being the killer, or closely associated with.
    Freiberg
  • JaimieT said:
    I like how they've slowly developed Alan in the background. This episode does a lot with what I think is saying that Marian was actually his daughter as well and showing how he is kind to Camille (despite I believe not being her father). Also, he seems to exhibit the self-harm tendencies that run in the family with his fist biting.

Yeah, I thought he was a sociopath but this episode derailed that. I guess my money is still on Jackie for being the killer, or closely associated with.
    Something's up with Jackie. I get the feeling that the Chief was asking her about Amma, not Camille, and knows she's not letting on about something.
    rkcrawf
  • So the unreliable narrator has got me. The image of a dead Amma was Camille's imagination or something she saw? Who's gun are we seeing? I'm assuming it shot the stop sign, but don't recall who owns it.
    edited July 30
  • Dammit this show is amazing. I live all the motifs. The whirling ceiling fans. The spiders (what's with the bartenders spidet tattoo?) The toilet lid bolt.

The show develops a language and has gotten really efficient with it. Flash cuts of Camille opening the convenience store door (less than a second) lets us know she is reupping on her vodka.

Also, that was up with that blood spot under the bed.

That final sequence was an incredible cliffhanger.
    JaimieT
    edited July 30
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    The bite mark on Alan’s hand was from the end of last episode where he screamed into his fist while biting it.  I’m glad he grew a spine this episode. 

Im 99% certain the teacher is the one who ran out of the bar a few episodes ago. I think he may have been present during the young Camille gang rape via the football team.  He also ran out of the visitation when he saw Camille. 

Do you think all the flash cuts at the end were actual events being shown or just Camille’s imagination as she frantically searches for Amma?

That bit Adora tells Camille about chopping off her hair to spite her, Camille says, “That wasn’t me.”  That’s what a story from Natalie or Ann’s funeral. Adora seems to have conflated the dead girls with Camille, or is gaslighting her. 
    ghm3
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited July 30
    So what exactly happened at the end? Was any of it real? When I first watched it, I didn't think the dead body Camille found looked like Amma, but she was wearing Amma's dress and her friend's vest. Does Alan have pictures of the murder victims lying around the house? Is it even possible anymore that everyone in this town hasn't murdered someone at this point?

I'm also going to be super pissed if the teacher ends up being anything. Why introduce him halfway through the show as the most suspicious guy ever?
  • edited July 30
    Hunkulese said:
    So what exactly happened at the end? Was any of it real?
    I think Camille was just imagining finding Amma's body. After each dead girl is shown we cut back to Camille in her car. Also, the clothes dead Amma is wearing are different to the ones we see her wearing at the end. I think the car that approaches her at the end is probably Camille's.

I trust this show enough to not believe that they are doing Westworld-style disordered timeline stuff.
  • edited July 30
    JoshTheBlack said:

Do you think all the flash cuts at the end were actual events being shown or just Camille’s imagination as she frantically searches for Amma?
    I might be wrong, but I think the flash cuts in the show have consistently happened when Camille has been imagining or remembering things. So, everything in the sequence at the end is real and happening in real-time, but the dead girls (and maybe shots of the detective) are from Camille's mind.
    Dummy
  • JaimieT said:
    The small town policeman owns a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. I smell bribery.

Meh, it was a Pro but an older one, Camille's is newer.

rkcrawf said:
    So the unreliable narrator has got me. The image of a dead Amma was Camille's imagination or something she saw? Who's gun are we seeing? I'm assuming it shot the stop sign, but don't recall who owns it.

Yeah this an odd ending, I'm guessing imagination, especially if that was supposed to be Amma. She didn't look like Amma to me, I thought it was her friend at first since she was wearing a similar denim vest thing, but I skipped back to look and it's not the same. Also, the girl in the shed is wearing boots, not skates like Amma and her friends. To me the clothes not matching is the biggest tell that it's her imagination, and a flash forward scene wouldn't make sense to me here. 

-Jackie's house: Holy shit that place looks fancy as fuck, is she as rich as Adora?

-Anyone know what the deal is with that sign at the end that said "Falling" with an arrow pointing to the stop line in the road?

edited July 30
  • On the Amma thing.

Camilla went into shock when John mentioned Amma knew of the creepy woodshed. She immediately left to try to find Amma, who was, of course, not in her room (who was that girl watching from the bench as Camille went down the steps... young Camille?)

As Camille was driving around town, frantically looking at all the normal hangout spots (and down the alley, flash to dead girl propped up in alley window), she then imagines finding Amma dead in the woodshed.

She doesn't though, and instead finds her on the road as Amma turns toward the headlights. End.

Now, I don't know if we are led to believe that Camille will actually hit Amma (I've been wondering how long before drunken Camille causes some damage with all her driving around), but I'm pretty sure that is actually happening, and the vision of Amma in the woodshed is just the fear that is driving Camille.
    telephoneofmadness
    edited July 30
    ghm3 said:
    -Anyone know what the deal is with that sign at the end that said "Falling" with an arrow pointing to the stop line in the road?

My read on it is that it was to tell Camille to stop there because she is falling down a rabbit hole of anxiety in that moment. 

On second watch I noticed that it was a younger Camille in the headlights at the end, not Amma as I had thought the first time.  I think we are closer to finding out what exactly happened with Camille when she was a teen, or maybe what we all already think happened is true and she’s worried about the same happening to Amma.  Seeing Amma’s dead body was her anxiety and worry playing with her mind.  We see in the preview for next week that Amma is alive.

So here’s a question, for a brief moment we see a flash of the word ‘worm’ scratched into the table.  What was that relating to?  All of the other words have made sense so far.

• Im 99% certain the teacher is the one who ran out of the bar a few episodes ago. I think he may have been present during the young Camille gang rape via the football team.  He also ran out of the visitation when he saw Camille. 
    If that is true and if Amma is in fact Camille's daughter from the gang rape would that possibly make that guy her father?