Sharp Objects Ep. 4 - "Ripe" - No Book Spoilers!

13»

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    That War on Drugs song at the credits was a nice touch.  That song has Neil Young Sleeps with Angels level of tone goodness.  
  • DId anyone see which words were flashed this episode? 
    I am loving this show, I watch the epsidoes multiple times which is hard for me! 
  • DId anyone see which words were flashed this episode? 
    I am loving this show, I watch the epsidoes multiple times which is hard for me! 
    When Camille was driving near the end, I saw "Falling" on one sign, "Rubber" on another, and "Hollow" graffitied on a wall by the memorial. I thought "Rubber" was cryptic -- no idea what relevance it could have at that moment.
  • Here's the Wiki Page for this Episode:

http://forums.baldmove.com/wiki/doku.php?id=episode_four:ripe

Feel free to post anything particularly funny or insightful there or on this thread (With time codes if possible)

I'll start:

10:54  Jim and ARon do their best Scarlet O'Hara impressions.

• Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    I think it's pretty clear that Adora just uses her power over the chief with flirting, inviting him over, etc. I did not get vibes of them having a relationship at all.

• ghm3 said:
    Michelle said:
    JaimieT said:
    gguenot said:
    They show her alive and well in the "on the next episode" after the credits at the town picknick/event they keep alluding to.
    See, I thought that was a spoiler. I was being hush about it. But maybe even Jim/Aron can't ignore this. It's really shoddy, honestly, of HBO. They've lost some of my respect.
    I'm just curious why.  It can't have been only me who assumed that the flash of a dead Amma in the cabin was just in Camille's mind, especially since she was flashing on so many other images at the time.  To see her alive in the preview for the next episode wasn't a huge shocker to me.  In my opinion, there was nothing to spoil.
    Seeing Amma alive wasn't a huge shocker to me either. Actually I wasn't surprised at all, but I didn't think the flashes of her dead was the cliffhanger, but her being in the headlights of the rapidly approaching car at the end before the credits rolled.

Also, the cliffhanger of Alan walking into Adora's bedroom with a gun strongly suggest that he's either going to kill her or himself, or both, so that was the other big cliffhanger. And the preview confirmed that at least one of them isn't dead and by the way people are acting in the preview, I'm guessing neither of them are dead or injured by a gunshot.

? Alan did not have a gun when he entered Adora's room. I thought it was pretty straightforward that he went to Adora's room to get it on.
    Agreed.Wife and I both thought that he was going there to have sex, or potentially rape her. At least that was the easy assumption we made. 
  • edited August 2018
    Jim - She carved cupcakes on her body?

A_Ron - Apparently so.

Jim - That must have been a rough morning.

This exchange made me snort really loud. 
    DoubleA_RonMattyWeavesduncanpowers
  • kevinrileskevinriles New Jersey
    Haven't listened to this week's podcast yet but here's the music system in sharp objects in this article. @A_Ron_Hubbard

http://www.vulture.com/article/sharp-objects-home-stereo-system.html
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I can finally participate as I had read the start of the book but never finished. I mean, at this point in the book everyone is dead anyway because of the blue wedding.

Joking! I just didn't want to accidentally spoil something early on.

I'm really loving this show. The acting is top notch, I love the music, and I hate so many people that seemingly have no redeeming qualities. 

I have zero idea what's going on, almost everyone feels guilty about something, and I really want Adora to die or at least be severely punished. 

My wife gave what I think is the highest compliment, she said she keeps forgetting it's Amy Adams playing the lead. She is incredible.
    JaimieTmajjam0770
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    My wife gave what I think is the highest compliment, she said she keeps forgetting it's Amy Adams playing the lead. She is incredible. 

Yes! I follow TLo's fashion blog and I see her out and about and I get a little jolt seeing her face... She's totally morphed into that role. It might be her best work. She's pretty damn amazing in Nocturnal Animals too.
  • kevinrileskevinriles New Jersey
    Did anyone make the connection from Amy biting the cop to the next scene a bite mark on the wierd music guy?
  • I'm confused by the line Camille has with Adorra, something about Adorra being a kid herself when Camille was growing up.  Is Adorra supposed to actually be younger than I think she is?
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2018
    I'm confused by the line Camille has with Adorra, something about Adorra being a kid herself when Camille was growing up.  Is Adorra supposed to actually be younger than I think she is?

I think it's just a play on that idea that someone is inexperienced when raising a kid. Like I'm angry at my mom for certain things, but she was 26 when she had me, and my age when I was 5. It's essentially saying she was young, which is why I think she doesn't balk at it. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Patricia Clarkson is only 58, so if she’s playing to age and Camille is the mid 30s or even older that we assume she is, then Adora could have had her in her teens.
  • Amy Adams is 43, so the actresses are around 15 years apart.
    amyja89
  • I did get the impression that Adora was a teen mother from that conversation. It's a rare adult that has a baby to make their own mothers love them.
    majjam0770