Ringer's Top 100

http://besttv.theringer.com/?_ga=2.208967893.639334543.1533015570-amp-fhJDQBEjHJfV0lhdVfC7Hw

Pretty decent list. Gotta give them credit for really including all of TV. Although having the O.C. pilot over BB Ozmandias is unforgiveable. 
DummyDeeTravisChinaskiMichelleNoelUnderwood

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    There’s way better South Park episodes and marginally better Futurama episodes. There’s no way a Lost episode should be #1

I love that Glee episode where Kurt plays football - the first few seasons of Glee was so good, and one of my favourite things was the relationship between Kurt and his dad. 

And I’m here for any Barefoot Contessa episode featuring Jeffrey, even though they are all basically  the same: 

Ina: “I made roast chicken and brownies! *nervous giggle* 

Jeffrey: *claps hands togeher* “Wonderful!” 
    HatorianTravisChinaskiNoelUnderwood
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I kind of like the 1 episode per show rule. Definitely diversified the list instead of having like 30 episodes devoted to BB, GOT, Wire, Curb, MM etc. 

overall thoughts

1. Office: Dinner Party should be top 10 if not 5
    2. Futurama should have been Luck of the Fryish or Jurrasic Bark
    3. TWD should have been Pilot
    4. Spongebob should have been Pizza Delivery
    5. Atlanta should have been crazy white donald glover guy
    6. no Shameless? thats a tragedy
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I guess I missed out not watching Laguna Beach, the OC or the Hills, which I forgot were different shows....
    CretanBullHatorianMichelle
  • I really liked the format, where the clip plays as you scroll through. And I agree it was smart to do one episode per series, and give equal inclusion to reality tv, because like it or not you can't talk about tv in the 21st century without it.

I could nitpick and reorder a lot of it, but I do think the Constant is well deserving at #1.
    MattyWeavesTravisChinaskiMichelle
  • Hatorian said:
    I kind of like the 1 episode per show rule. Definitely diversified the list instead of having like 30 episodes devoted to BB, GOT, Wire, Curb, MM etc. 

overall thoughts

For Futurama, think my personal favorites are Godfellas (1st episode I ever watched and got me to watch the show) and Roswell That Ends Well (this episode won an Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program).  But there are a lot of really good ones too.
  • Hey, The Leftovers cracked the top 50. I was expecting it to be excluded. No Emmy voters contributed to the list I guess.
    TravisMichelle
  • The list is beautifully constructed, and there is so much on there that I either haven't seen in too many years to really comment on, or haven't seen at all so I will withhold grand statements about levels of bullshit. The one thing that I can speak to is their choice of One Last Ride for Parks is fucking insane. There are at least 30 better Parks episodes. At least! It should have been Flu Season and it should have been much, much higher. Nothing against all of the other sitcoms on the list (some of which I really love), but there has been no sitcom offering that has delivered remotely as effectively as Flu Season. It is the best episode of 30 minute television (full stop).

That said, it was nice to see The Leftovers, and I probably would have selected International Assassin too. Bloody Harlan was a great choice, and it was nice to see Justified. There was some good stuff, and if nothing else it was a big and polarizing undertaking that they made pretty cool. 
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    decent list i guess. Fargo, The Shield, or Flight of the Conchords (that come to mind) didn't make it which all had several memorable episodes. and that SNL episode was def not the best SNL episode 'of he century'.

like @MrX mentioned, nicely done with the format with a clip when you scroll.
    MichelleTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 31
    Dee said:
    There’s no way a Lost episode should be #1.

Okay, but have you *seen* that episode?  It's SOOOOO good, definitely the best of the series next to the pilot episode and 'Walkabout'.
    DeeTaraC73
    edited July 31
    Hatorian said:
    "Snip snap, snip snap, snip snap!!!"  :joy:
    NoelHatorian
    MrX said:
    I could nitpick and reorder a lot of it, but I do think the Constant is well deserving at #1.
    Saaaaame.  I scrolled to the #1 pick first before looking at the rest and got all happy seeing that it was #1:)
    I just scrolled through and... love seeing Mad Men's 'The Suitcase' at #2.  It's baffling to me though that some of the best wriiten, best acted, best directed episodes in television history are falling below shows like Jersey Shore, Vanderpump Rules, and The Chappelle Show.  The Leftovers' 'International Assassin' should be *much* higher than it is.  I can't understand why a reality show that showcases a bunch of vapid, narcissistic 20-somethings in LA is actually considered *better* than The Leftovers, Better Call Saul (which, btw, that episode should be MUCH higher on the list), ER, and The Crown.  Speaking of The Crown, how TF is it at #97???????  
    TravisNoel
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I have never felt older than people saying they liked having the blinky video bullshit drawing their attention on the side of the page. I don't understand how anyone can read sites that have gifs and videos and all that shit all over the page
    CapeGabe
  • Whenever I see Lost referenced I still get mad lol. But yeah, some of those early episodes were soooo good. I think I would have picked "through the looking glass" as the best Lost episode though. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Hatorian said:

overall thoughts

Teddy Perkins is the best Atlanta episode and one the best half hours(-ish) in television history
    Hatorian
  • I have never felt older than people saying they liked having the blinky video bullshit drawing their attention on the side of the page. I don't understand how anyone can read sites that have gifs and videos and all that shit all over the page
    Or when you want to READ a news story and all you can find is articles that are just videos.

Hey kids! GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
    Travisbizmarkiefader
  • Michelle said:
    I just scrolled through and... love seeing Mad Men's 'The Suitcase' at #2.  It's baffling to me though that some of the best wriiten, best acted, best directed episodes in television history are falling below shows like Jersey Shore, Vanderpump Rules, and The Chappelle Show.  The Leftovers' 'International Assassin' should be *much* higher than it is.  I can't understand why a reality show that showcases a bunch of vapid, narcissistic 20-somethings in LA is actually considered *better* than The Leftovers, Better Call Saul (which, btw, that episode should be MUCH higher on the list), ER, and The Crown.  Speaking of The Crown, how TF is it at #97???????  
    As much as I agree with you personally about this, I also get them wanting to cast a wider net. Those shows are not ones that interest me either for similar reasons, but there are plenty that love them. My sister's long time boyfriend watches reality shows in that vain pretty much exclusively. I imagine that those folks deserve a say in all of this too. Like I said, I don't agree, but so long as they have their reasons and the episodes stand up within the genre I actually think it was kind of cool of them to look at the entire landscape. There may be more artistry in shows like the Leftovers (I do agree that IA should have been much higher as even when you discount the shows that I have no basis for, it lost out to ones that I have seen), but if you are after ideals of being memorable and entertaining and attempt to gather a wide ranging perspective you can end up with a whole lot of crazy results. 

So, nutshelling: I'm with you, but I get and kind of appreciate what they did.
    Michelle
  • CapeGabe said:
    I have never felt older than people saying they liked having the blinky video bullshit drawing their attention on the side of the page. I don't understand how anyone can read sites that have gifs and videos and all that shit all over the page
    Or when you want to READ a news story and all you can find is articles that are just videos.

Hey kids! GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
    To paraphrase a meme:

Man, I'm stuck at this place in a videogame. Maybe I can find a youtube video to help my find the key.

"YOOOOO WHATSUP GAMERZ IT'S YA BOI MAKE SURE TO HAMMER THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON AND GIVE ME A LI-"

Nevermind I'll find it myself. 
    letrbuck2006CapeGabeMichelleGiovanni
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    It’s amazing how underrated The Crown is. Especially amongst the Ringer staff where it seems like only Amanda Dobbins watches it.
    Michelle
    Noel said:
    Michelle said:
    It’s amazing how underrated The Crown is. Especially amongst the Ringer staff where it seems like only Amanda Dobbins watches it.
    I couldn't agree more.  Their season 2, episode 9 'Paterfamilias' should be very, very high on the list.
    Noel
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    It's so refreshing to see Lost come in at number one on a list that isn't about disappointing final seasons/episodes.
    MichelleTaraC73
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 31
    Noel said:
    Hatorian said:

overall thoughts

Teddy Perkins is the best Atlanta episode and one the best half hours(-ish) in television history

I don't know if it's a hands-down winner vs. "Woods" - both are masterpieces in their own way.
    Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    MrX said:
    Noel said:
    Hatorian said:

overall thoughts

I don't know if it's a hands-down winner vs. "Woods" - both are masterpieces in their own way.
    Goes to show how good season 2 is. I’ll even take “Helen” as the best episode of the series. Earn and Van’s argument was such a gut punch. 
    MrX
  • sub in "2.5 year old" and "Curious George" and that's me

MichelleChinaskiasmallcatHatorian
  • I know these lists are never 100% perfect and everyone will have their opinions things go, but "Margate Sands" from Boardwalk Empire is in my top 10. Boardwalk didn't even make it to the top 100. That's some flat out BOWLshit.
    Chinaski
  • They picked the perfect episodes for some shows such as Dexter, Silicon Valley, The Leftovers, No Reservations, Justified, Breaking Bad, True Detective, LOST.

However, they completely whiffed on the Always Sunny pick.  I really didn't care for that episode and it's not very representative of what that show is.  The absolute correct pick is The Nightman Cometh, the finale from season 4, but there are at least 10 other episodes which are far better than the one they picked.
    TravisDee
    MrX said:
    sub in "2.5 year old" and "Curious George" and that's me

Man. can't leave out We Bare Bears or Amazing World of Gumball! 
    MrX
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Really? I love CharDee McDennis. Its probably my favorite of the series. But I could definitely go to bat for The Nightman Cometh. 
    Hatorian said:

overall thoughts

For Futurama, think my personal favorites are Godfellas (1st episode I ever watched and got me to watch the show) and Roswell That Ends Well (this episode won an Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program).  But there are a lot of really good ones too.
    good choices. Roswell is definitely a top 5. I just think Luck of Fryish and Jurrasic Bark are probably the sadest most heart wrenching 30 minutes of animated TV. if you can get dusty over a damn cartoon character's feelings then that is some amazing writing/production. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited August 1
    Dee said:
    There’s way better South Park episodes and marginally better Futurama episodes. There’s no way a Lost episode should be #1

I love that Glee episode where Kurt plays football - the first few seasons of Glee was so good, and one of my favourite things was the relationship between Kurt and his dad. 

And I’m here for any Barefoot Contessa episode featuring Jeffrey, even though they are all basically  the same: 

Ina: “I made roast chicken and brownies! *nervous giggle* 

Jeffrey: *claps hands togeher* “Wonderful!” 
    Lost had a ton of amazing all-time great episodes and deserves any and all credit it gets. The biggest problem with the show and why it's not considered one of the greatest shows ever was they were forced to do 23 episodes a year. 

As is, Lost was life-changing for a ton of people and had a huge positive impact on the entire television industry.
    Michelle