The Last of US - The Best Game Ever

I've been absolutely in love with this game since the first playthrough years ago. Have beaten it on every difficulty level. It is best game ever.

Found this video today the steps through many of the reasons why I'm not alone in this opinion:

Any other TLoU devotees among Bald Move? Anybody else as fucking absolutely jazzed about the sequel?
ShumMurderbear

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    It doesn’t match up with the nostalgia of 100+ hours of Final Fantasy 7 or the pure enjoyment of my first real multi-player experience with Socom 1/2. 

But yes, it’s one of, if not the, best game ever. 
    MattyWeaves
  • ShumShum Utah
    As someone who values story above all else in video games, I have no problem calling this the best game I have ever played.  Just like TV does things with character and story that movies can't, video games do things with character and story that TV can't.  The bond you form with the characters you play in video games is very powerful, and Last of Us takes advantage of that better than any game I can think of. 

Even though it might be the best game I've ever played, it's probably not my all time favorite game.  That would probably go to Skyrim or Mass Effect, just because I enjoy playing those games more, and Survival Horror isn't really my favorite genre.
  • I love this game so much
  • the gameplay wasn't bad but was kinda repetitive, but the story was unquestionably one of (and possibly the very) the best i've ever experienced in a game.
  • edited August 4
    I've grabbed a big bowl of popcorn and watched the cut scenes stitched together as a movie and it was riveting.

Yes, I love this game and am extremely fired up about the sequel.  For the life of me, I can't understand why they won't make this live action movie.  It makes me want to grab Hollywood by the lapels and shake the shit out of them.
    Murderbear
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Just a spectacular game. I tried playing it once and bounced off because I didn't quite "get" the stealth thing and was used to Naughty Dog's Uncharted series. When I doubled back with more patience, it was a much different experience. The final moments of that game are just a kick in the stomach. 

If you haven't seen the E3 video/gameplay, unless you just don't want any information at all, do yourself a favor and go check it out. 
    Shumrusskelly
  • ShumShum Utah
    @joejerryronnie.  I used to be excited by the idea of a Last of Us movie, but the more I think about it, the more I don't want it.  I don't know if even the best possible version of a movie would be as good as the game, and video game movies have such a bad track record I don't think it's worth the risk.  I would be super bummed out if someone watched a sub par Last of Us movie and never played the game because of it.
    ken halehitmy
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Oh yeah! First game I played when I got a PS4 this past christmas. Loved every minute of it. Can't wait for the sequel. Instantly became one of my favorite games ever.
  • For the record, here's the gameplay demo for the sequel:

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It is an amazing game and absolutely one of my all time favorites. Best game of all time feels a bit strong though.

I feel like a broken record but anytime this game is brought up I always have to talk about that prologue. It in of itself is a little masterpiece.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's a real jawdropper. The multiplayer hooked me real bad, too. So tense and brutal. Perfect match of setting and game play mechanics. As pretty and engaging as Uncharted 3 and 4 ended up being, they were always vaguely disappointing because they weren't TLoU.
    russkellyShumhitmy
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    It's a real jawdropper. The multiplayer hooked me real bad, too. So tense and brutal. Perfect match of setting and game play mechanics. As pretty and engaging as Uncharted 3 and 4 ended up being, they were always vaguely disappointing because they weren't TLoU.
    I know what you mean about Uncharted. I went out and bought all the uncharted games after playing TLoU thinking they'd be similar. I had to readjust in order to not feel like Uncharted is a dud when they are actually decent.
  • I've tried a few times to get through Uncharted. Like, maybe 25% through Uncharted 1.

Maybe I should just skip it? I've heard that 2, 3, 4 are increasingly better.

With that being said, TLoU is unique in it's formula, so it's almost apples and oranges here.
    russkelly
  • Also, here is the "making of" documentary:

Really hoping they do the same for the sequel.
  • I’ll have to watch it go see if my high school friend is in it 
  • I loved this game back in the PS3 days. I’m pretty sure I went to the midnight launch and called in the next day.  I never played any of the DLCs that came later but I’m definitely all in on the sequel when it comes out. 

It’s been like 5 years since I last played that game but there are scenes I’ll never forget. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    I loved this game back in the PS3 days. I’m pretty sure I went to the midnight launch and called in the next day.  I never played any of the DLCs that came later but I’m definitely all in on the sequel when it comes out. 

It’s been like 5 years since I last played that game but there are scenes I’ll never forget. 
    I would highly recommend the "Left Behind" DLC.  It gives a lot of good backstory to Ellie's character and even fills in some details from the original story.
    NervousRhino
  • I never played it because there wasn't a PC version. It sounds like there might be an emulator for it finally? 
  • ShumShum Utah
    @Giovanni. If you can find a good emulator go for it, but there's also some pretty good movie versions of it on youtube if you want to experience the story.
  • PS3 emulator? Not for sure, but I'd guess so.

It'll likely be a long, looong time before there is a legit PC Port of the game. Sony is a big fan of having it's prestige exclusives.
  • I absolutely love this game! I bought a PS4 just to be ready for Part II, and I cannot wait. I'm just bummed that there is no official release date yet... 
    russkelly
  • ShumShum Utah
    I wouldn't be surprised if Last of Us 2 is a launch title for PS5, but I'm hoping it comes out sooner than that.
  • Shum said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Last of Us 2 is a launch title for PS5, but I'm hoping it comes out sooner than that.

Yeah I'm starting to think that's a likely scenario. I'd prefer it to come out on the PS4 so I don't need a new console to play it, but I understand that the change in hardware will allow for an overall "better experience." 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I would say that a used PS3 and the Last of Us might be worth the purchase itself. Imagine you could probably get both of them for under $100 on eBay or some other used site. 
  • Hatorian said:
    I would say that a used PS3 and the Last of Us might be worth the purchase itself. Imagine you could probably get both of them for under $100 on eBay or some other used site. 
    I will literally sell my PS3 and LoU copy right now for $75 plus shipping 
    russkelly
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited August 7
    I would be willing to bet that we'll see the sequel on a ps4. My guess is that it will be out next year, maybe holiday season. We won't be getting a ps5 for at least a couple more years.

It will probably be similar to the first one. Come out near the end of a generation and then the next version gets a fancy remastered edition.
    gguenotFunBagGrabberA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I would be willing to bet that we'll see the sequel on a ps4. My guess is that it will be out next year, maybe holiday season. We won't be getting a ps5 for at least a couple more years.

It will probably be similar to the first one. Come out near the end of a generation and then the next version gets a fancy remastered edition.
    I was thinking the same thing. These really amazing looking games start coming out at the end of a system's lifespan. I see this as being similar as well. We will get an eventual remastered version. But it is one of those things where it is hard to imagine how good a remastered version of this game would even look. 
    Murderbear
  • gguenot said:
    Hatorian said:
    I’d offer that same deal if that has already been snagged and anyone else wants one. 
  • gguenot said:
    Hatorian said:
    I’d offer that same deal if that has already been snagged and anyone else wants one. 
    Do you want to buy mine and then sell 2 for $150?  ;)
    NervousRhino
  • Another nice commentary video:

NervousRhino