Sharp Objects Ep. 5 - "Closer"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writer: Scott Brown

Comments

• edited August 6
    Edit: wrong so n/a
  • This episode had the biggest wide-eyed OMG gasp “reveal” in what was said on the veranda.
    PangsOpusWhorusskellyMurderbear
  •  I was ready to call bullshit on Amma's pinned eyes, but the dilation scene was a nice effect. The whole play scene made me feel really uncomfortable, and the sound dropping in and out was a good way to portray the kind of disorientation that I'm sure she was feeling.
    Murderbear
  • Please tell me there is a follow up series about Adora using her gifts in various situations, Adora's pre-game speech to the football team, Adora the preschool teacher, Adora the marriage counsellor, Adora the flight controller, etc...
  • god Adora is the worst. everytime...something might be sweet..nope. Clarkson is destroying it.
    cdriveMurderbearsaraej319
  • I'm lost but not lost. I'm picking up what the show is showing me, but no idea if it means anything. Shit, what if we don't find the killer?

Adora is the worst. The "I never loved you comment" is almost criminal. And I believe I've had confirmation enough that she had an affair with the sheriff. 

The Jackie thread is the one I can't put my finger on. I feel like she's the key to everything, but the show is (intentionally) sidelining her.

I will never get over the Confederate shit. I know it's probably accurate for a town like Wind Gap, but it kept pulling me out of the episode. Shit like the Dukes of Hazzard takes place in an apolitical, almost campy world where the Stars and Bars really means nothing. These folks in this series, while having a view of history that differs from mine, aren't in some fantasy. They're embracing the social norms and everything else that went along with the Confederacy. While having some appreciation for the environment they're in, I lose a lot of respect points for many of the (fictional) characters, including Camille...despite her Obama poster.
    groovydooley
  • Does Alan wear a Union general uniform? I feel like there were some blue Confederate uniforms, but I'm not up on my Civil War history. Regardless, the mutton chops were solid.
  • Jackie O'Neill was ALL over this episode.  I was finding her activity startlingly suspicious on first watch.  I'm thinking she at the very least knows about everyone's dirty laundry(maybe up to and including killing little girls?).  I will pair this thought with the obviously horrible words and actions on  Adora's part.  While I believe she was actually being genuine with Camille, it seems like she will say and do anything to maintain her ideal town and her place in it.   
    rkcrawf
  • Does Alan wear a Union general uniform? I feel like there were some blue Confederate uniforms, but I'm not up on my Civil War history. Regardless, the mutton chops were solid.
    I am not confident, but I believe the pants and undercoat wear looked similar for both sides. I think Chief Vickery's clothes looked blue, but then the overcoat and hat he wore were clearly Confederate Grey. I assumed the same to be true for Alan, except I don't remember him being in a coat. 
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    That was some cold blooded shit.
    cdrive
    I highly doubt it was a union uniform. Adora would have none of that. I think he was wearing pants only (never put on a jacket) maybe as a silent protest. He also jacked up the AC when the ladies were in the dress shop. We have been seeing Little acts of rebellion from him. 

Her conversaitons with her editor/boss seemed awfully emotional/close. What if he is her father (or did he die and I missed that tidbit). The wife and him seem very invested in her wellbeing. 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Finally an uplifting, feel-good kind of episode, with a costume party and barbecue and children's play!

I was beginning to think this show a bit dour. 
    gguenotcdrivekingbee67marleygirl84MurderbearAussieGregCecilyduncanpowershypergenesbGiovanniand 2 others.
  • Ajas said:
    Finally an uplifting, feel-good kind of episode, with a costume party and barbecue and children's play!

Always interesting to see how differently people see shows. I didn’t see much positive at all. 
  • KingKobra said:
    Ajas said:

Always interesting to see how differently people see shows. I didn’t see much positive at all. 
    Sorry KingK, you get a “whoosh”
    phoenyx1023cdriveKingKobraMurderbearCecily
  • KingKobra said:
    Does Alan wear a Union general uniform? I feel like there were some blue Confederate uniforms, but I'm not up on my Civil War history. Regardless, the mutton chops were solid.
    I highly doubt it was a union uniform. Adora would have none of that. I think he was wearing pants only (never put on a jacket) maybe as a silent protest. He also jacked up the AC when the ladies were in the dress shop. We have been seeing Little acts of rebellion from him. 

Her conversaitons with her editor/boss seemed awfully emotional/close. What if he is her father (or did he die and I missed that tidbit). The wife and him seem very invested in her wellbeing. 
    I think when he asks Adora which jacket in the beginning, he held up a blue jacket and a grey jacket. Don't recall if he chose one, or wore one at the party.
    KingKobrarkcrawf
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I can’t be the only one after this episode who searched for handpainted wallpaper from Paris on Wayfair, right?

groovydooleydrumoreMurderbearduncanpowersamhatch
  • gguenot said:
    KingKobra said:
    Ajas said:

Sorry KingK, you get a “whoosh”
    I always try to take people at face value without emojis, assuming things leads to too many misunderstandings. 
    gguenotMurderbearMattyWeaves
  • edited August 6
    Both jackets Alan was holding up were gray, but the longer coat had blue trim on the sleeves. I believe that's an officer's uniform.  During the play, you can see him wearing that one.  I liked that although Det. Willis wasn't dressed up, he was wearing a navy blue shirt.

For someone who apparently had a classy home, floors and wallpaper, MY GOD Adora had the ugliest dress I've ever seen!
    majjam0770
  • edited August 6
    It seems the show really wants us to notice how much Amma needs to be noticed. She drops the bomb about Camille’s article in the clothes shop when her mom wasn’t looking at dresses with her, and when she doesn’t get attention for her performance in the play, she runs off in dramatic fashion right to the dreaded shack in the woods Camille had asked her about earlier that day. How she ended up so injured, they say from scratches.....was she cutting herself to get her sister’s attention in a specific way? I’m wondering where they are going with this.

Also, that dress she gave Camille could be seen as a “woman in white” kind of dress. As well as the one Amma was wearing for the play. 

Lastly, anyone notice that the kid who saw the woman in white ran into Ashley and then fled? What does that mean? She was awfully pissed not to get mentioned in the paper. All of this plus the blood....maybe she’s a suspect? 

Everyone’s a suspect!!! Flyer lady is NOT out of the running y’all.
    ghm3MurderbearPangs
  • That primal scream Camille made while in the dressing room of that store was breathtakingly raw.  There are plenty of horror movies with screams that sound like that, but that was the scream of a traumatized and abused child, which is so much more jarring and visceral than the former.  And when Adora followed that up by casually telling Camille that she never loved her, hoping that it would "bring some comfort" to Camille, and in the pretense of being tender and honest, it is clear why Camille has so much pain, rage, and self-hatred seeping out of every pore.  

Amy Adams is a wonder, and Patricia Clarkson could not be more sinisterly captivating in this role. 
    ghm3hypergenesbGiovanni
  • I thought the last scene was going to be about her physically and emotionally exposing herself to Willis to defy Adora's claims, but it didn't end up being that way at all, instead she did the opposite, having him expose himself to her and then cutting the lights. At this point there's no way he wouldn't have felt her scars everywhere, so it seems a little strange to me that she'd still try to hide them from him. 
  • Holy christ, I hate Adora. I really hope she dies in some horrible way by the end of this. Like, maybe she walks face first into a helicopter propeller or gets eaten by a grizzly bear or something. 
  • No, the Nikon fits.  I paused on it, it's an F4- in production 1988-1996.  So she could be pushing 40 now and 15 or so in the flash back if the show is taking place in 2018.

ghm3 said:
    So I'm getting the impression that Camille is supposed to be a lot younger than she seems, like late 20s at the very oldest. Otherwise that Nikon is very anachronistic. Ashley also said that said her older sister is only a few years younger than Camille, which means nothing by itself, but maybe not combined with this.

I guess this could just be an anachronism from the props department but I would find that strange for a show that's so meticulous with so many other details. Then again I've had similar issues with Westworld so who knows.

duncanpowers
  • I don't know if it's better or worse that Adora claimed just last episode to be disappointed in Camille because Camille as didn't make Adora's mother love Adora or that Adora has now pivoted to finding Camille unloveable because of whoever Camille's father was. I'm sure there will be another different reason come next episode because Adora will likely die before she realizes she is the problem. Camille is guilty in Adora's mind for things that were not her duty to fill (save Adora/fulfill Adora's missing mother's love) nor her fault (whoever Adora concieved with). I just wish Camille were stronger to weather these narcissistic mental gymnastics. 

So, Alan is only Amma's father but not Camille or dead sister's, is that correct?
  • No, the Nikon fits.  I paused on it, it's an F4- in production 1988-1996.  So she could be pushing 40 now and 15 or so in the flash back if the show is taking place in 2018.

ghm3 said:
    So I'm getting the impression that Camille is supposed to be a lot younger than she seems, like late 20s at the very oldest. Otherwise that Nikon is very anachronistic. Ashley also said that said her older sister is only a few years younger than Camille, which means nothing by itself, but maybe not combined with this.

I guess this could just be an anachronism from the props department but I would find that strange for a show that's so meticulous with so many other details. Then again I've had similar issues with Westworld so who knows.

Ah k I could've sworn the back of the camera had a modern large touch screen. The thing I hate about Hulu is whenever you move the mouse cursor or pause it has this annoying gray filter overlay that makes it hard to see details.
  • I think this article about the episode from the AV Club is spot on with the themes of female pain, good read: also, definitely check out Leslie Jamison if your interested in these kind of ideas and themes, great writer.

https://tv.avclub.com/in-closer-sharp-objects-presents-a-not-so-grand-unif-1828070373
    JaimieT
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    seauxphie said:
    So, Alan is only Amma's father but not Camille or dead sister's, is that correct?

Unless there is another guy in the mix, I would think that Alan is the other sister's father. Hence why Adora doesn't love Camille but clearly loved the younger sister.

I think it was last week when Alan reminded Adora that he lost a daughter too, I thought he meant as a stepfather. Maybe not.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 6
    Having just got back from a wedding where I avoided my father the whole time, said a few sentences to my mother as she handed off my social security card and birth certificate, was gifted with one interaction from my sister, and my brother was getting married so of course not much from him, despite all of us participating in the happy family photos? Well, this episode was complementary. Even me being a newly-declared lesbian as some added "controversy," like the published article... 

What did Camille say, "When I'm here, I feel like I'm a bad person"? 

I got back last night and I've been trying to parse through feelings and that nailed one of them. 
    hypergenesbCecilyUnderwood
  • JaimieT said:
    Having just got back from a wedding where I avoided my father the whole time, said a few sentences to my mother as she handed off my social security card and birth certificate, was gifted with one interaction from my sister, and my brother was getting married so of course not much from him, despite all of us participating in the happy family photos? Well, this episode was complementary. Even me being a newly-declared lesbian as some added "controversy," like the published article... 

What did Camille say, "When I'm here, I feel like I'm a bad person"? 

I got back last night and I've been trying to parse through feelings and that nailed one of them. 
    You made it through a truly difficult weekend. Be kind to yourself this week  <3
    JaimieTgguenot
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It's amazing how some of the Adora/Camille interaction hits home in different ways for some of us.  Last night's episode, the conversation between them on the porch, really struck a chord.  

I don't know if this has been theorized yet, but I wonder if Adora had a similar 'interaction' with the boys in the town that Camille did.  Camille did tell Willis that it was a tradition (if I remember correctly).  That would explain why Adora has such a negative opinion of Camille's father, and why she never loved Camille.  It would also explain why everything in her life has to be exactly perfect - it's her way of masking how imperfect that time was for her and also for her to make a name for herself despite the past.  I don't know though, it could not pan out to be that way, but it makes sense to me.

Lastly, I think Jackie's hiding some secrets for someone - Adora, Amma, Alan, Camille, or maybe herself...
    Pangs