4.01 Smoke

Written by Peter Gould
Directed by Minkie Spiro (3x09 - "Fall", Jessica JonesDownton Abbey, Skins, Hustle)
Edited by Skip Macdonald

Super-stoked about BCS coming back tonight, so I figured let's start thread early!
DummyChinaskighm3JoshuaHeterA_Ron_HubbardMichelleMurderbearNatter Cast

Comments

• Lets see what Skip can do now that he's no longer under Kelly Dixon's wing.  Very excited for this season.
    JoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • When did the last season end? It feels like it's been off the air for two years.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ghm3 said:
    When did the last season end? It feels like it's been off the air for two years.
    it was last spring into summer.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'm especially pumped for next week. We get to see Michelle MacLaren come back to direct, it feels like its been a while since we got to see things from her. 
    hisdudeness915rkcrawfhypergenesb
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Alright! Mike sighting! Now the season has begun.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'm totally getting a shirt made that says "Which brings... War
    Which brings... Chaos
    Which brings... The D.E.A." in Spanish.
    Michelle
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited August 2018
    So... is Mike just trying to earn his paycheck at Madrigal? I don’t get it.

MurderbearFlukes
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Didn’t know they were doing a Big Lebowski show after.  
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Is there a good way for us West Coast folk to catch the east coast airing (like HBO allows)? .. Besides VPNing over before logging in to my provider (YouTube TV, and I've never tried that to even verify that it works)

Just curious to know if that time-shifting "service" is available  
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Wow that was so terribly sad 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I know I’m exaggerating...or am I...but it felt like there was 10 minutes of show and 50 minutes of commercials. Anyone else frustrated by this? 
    DeeNervousRhino
  • I'm really intrigued by Jimmy's turn at the end of the episode and where things will go from here.  I thought for sure he would get angry at Hamlin, or double down on blaming himself, but this is a much more interesting direction to take things.  

It's good to see the guys are doing an Instant Talk for this show.  I really enjoyed it on Westworld, and I'm sure more people will participate next week now that it's actually been advertised.
    I know I’m exaggerating...or am I...but it felt like there was 10 minutes of show and 50 minutes of commercials. Anyone else frustrated by this? 
    It seemed like that to me too. I am sure it was the typical amount of show vs. commercials, but I think it comes down to just a typical slow season premiere. Where not a ton of plot development takes place, but more acclimating viewers to the current story and characters. 
    NervousRhino
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Not trying to be a jerk, but are you new to the show. It's kind of become their M.O. to start things off almost excruciatingly slow and then slow burn to a fantastic climax. Like last season seemed to have about 3-4 episodes of actual plot that they turned into 10 episodes. I think last season ended up being worth it, and it seems like this season is already moving quite a bit faster than last season.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada

I'm pretty sure you got exactly what was going on.
    JoshuaHeter
    So, just to be clear, who exactly is Gene worried about finding him at this point? Obviously, the authorities as he was involved in a huge drug operation. But he always seems more worried about shady looking people. Is he concerned about lingering members of the cartel? Random people that Walt crossed paths with? It just always struck me as odd that he was so paranoid that the cartel would be searching out a cog in the Heisenberg machine. But maybe I am downplaying the seriousness of that. 
    rkcrawf
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA

Mike is extremely suspicious of Lydia and her/Madrigal's ability to pull off the money laundering enterprise he's subscribing to (she admitted to him in season 3 it was her first time)

So he moves in to do a sweep of the place and give himself some plausible deniability as a legit security consultant, while sending a hard message to Lydia to clean up her act.

As we know-- Mike doesn't do half measures.

MurderbearJoshuaHeterUnderwoodKela15
  • Freddy said:
    I'm totally getting a shirt made that says "Which brings... War
    Which brings... Chaos
    Which brings... The D.E.A." in Spanish.
    You know what that means? Hank fucking Schrader is coming. 
    MichelleKela15
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2018

MrX said:
    They are actually the team Mike is watching too. 
    MrX
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited August 2018
    I also think we just watched the transition from Jimmy to Saul.

He clearly sniffed out Hamlin's desperate attempt to gaslight Chuck's tragic death as suicide to circumvent the payout.

Meanwhile, Jimmy also realized that if Chuck went so far as commit suicide and stage it as a tragic death, the buyout must've been legit.  So he realizes both of his most revered lawyer-Gods are each themselves attempting to defraud each other, while the honest one-- Kim is covered in bruises.

And I think that's it.  I think that's the clairvoyance at the end of the episode... Everyone is crooked, and he's better at it than all of them.
    NervousRhino
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited August 2018
    This is why I hate watching shows on AMC. Same way with Walking Dead. I swear it always feels like there are way more commercials then there should be and it's annoying.

Ajas said:
    I also think we just watched the transition from Jimmy to Saul.

He clearly sniffed out Hamlin's desperate attempt to gaslight Chuck's tragic death as suicide to circumvent the payout.

Meanwhile, Jimmy also realized that if Chuck went so far as commit suicide and stage it as a tragic death, the buyout must've been legit.  So he realizes both of his most revered lawyer-Gods are each themselves attempting to defraud each other, while the honest one-- Kim is covered in bruises.

And I think that's it.  I think that's the clairvoyance at the end of the episode... Everyone is crooked, and he's better at it than all of them.
    I think it was Jimmy realizing that any guilt he might have felt for Chuck's death can now rest on Hamlin's shoulders. Almost like he has a free conscience.
    Doctor_NickrkcrawfNervousRhino
  • I don't think "Gene" was concerned that the taxi driver with the Albuquerque air freshener was going to do him harm. I think he was staring at him because he recognized him as Saul/Jimmy. 
    UnderwoodNervousRhino
  • I know I’m exaggerating...or am I...but it felt like there was 10 minutes of show and 50 minutes of commercials. Anyone else frustrated by this? 
    This is why I hate watching shows on AMC. Same way with Walking Dead. I swear it always feels like there are way more commercials then there should be and it's annoying.

FX will go 30 minutes before showing a commercial - it seems like they really work w/ their showrunners to optimize the viewing experience. AMC, not so much. The difference is noticeable.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2018
    I don't think "Gene" was concerned that the taxi driver with the Albuquerque air freshener was going to do him harm. I think he was staring at him because he recognized him as Saul/Jimmy. 

Ooh right I didn't even think of this, that makes a lot of sense!
    MurderbearTheOriginalGMan
  • On the instant take podcast, Jim says that "Skip Macdonald is taking over Kelley Dixon's editing responsibilities" for this season, and that's not the case. Like previous seasons, Skip is editing half of the episodes (The odd-numbered). And taking over for Kelley, is her long-time assistant editor Chris McCaleb (even-numbered episodes). He has edited 3 eps of BCS in previous seasons (and 1 Breaking Bad) when Kelley and Skip had schedule conflicts. He's also an editor on other AMC shows, Lodge 49, Fear The Walking Dead, and Halt and Catch Fire. Vince and the team prefer using two editors on the show, each alternating episodes. That gives each editor additional time to spend with their episode if needed, and they can work on two episodes in parallel. 
  • On the instant take podcast, Jim says that "Skip Macdonald is taking over Kelley Dixon's editing responsibilities" for this season, and that's not the case. Like previous seasons, Skip is editing half of the episodes (The odd-numbered). And taking over for Kelley, is her long-time assistant editor Chris McCaleb (even-numbered episodes). He has edited 3 eps of BCS in previous seasons (and 1 Breaking Bad) when Kelley and Skip had schedule conflicts. He's also an editor on other AMC shows, Lodge 49, Fear The Walking Dead, and Halt and Catch Fire. Vince and the team prefer using two editors on the show, each alternating episodes. That gives each editor additional time to spend with their episode if needed, and they can work on two episodes in parallel. 

Perhaps more importantly, Caleb will also be taking over hosting duties for the "Better Call Saul Insider Podcast" 
    hypergenesb
  • P.S. The Heisenberg Chronicles is still in full effect for every episode. Fan art, gifs, observations, reviews, podcasts, the works. 
  • Could that have been Jesse behind the wheel of the taxi?  All we see is a pair of hard, tired eyes.  Jesse would be older in this flash-forward, plus he's lived a hard life of addiction and crime.  He was also kept in a cage for awhile as a meth cook slave.
    Murderbear
    Man, Patrick Fabian really knocked this one out of the park. A couple of things stood out. In the scene with Jimmy at the burnt house, you see Hamlin walking to the left of the screen. The way he is just carrying his body, it looks like he is walking with the weight of the world on his shoulders. A man who is usually standing so proud, and full of himself just looks like a husk. 

Then of course the ending as he breaks down in front of Jimmy. We've seen all sides of this man if you think about it. The professional face he puts on at work, the spiteful face he showed Kim in Season 2, a paternal one he showed Jimmy after it came out that he wasn't the villain we all thought he was, but this sorrowful, mourning Hamlin was beyond heartbreaking to see.  Partly because we are seeing him completely owning his part in Chuck's actions, but also because we are seeing Jimmy repress those very same feelings. 
    JoshuaHeterKela15