Fantasy football draft strategy

So this is somewhat unique to this specific league I am in and I want to get other peoples opinion on draft strategy.  So the league I'm in lost a few people and we've only got 8 people.  With only having 8 teams the commissioner changed up the rosters to 1QB 3RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX 1 D/ST.

How does the roster change of having extra running backs and wide receivers effect how you would draft?

My thought process is there's plenty of decent QBs to go around so I would wait pretty late in the draft and focus on getting as many good RB and WR as possible.  But this is the first time I've ever heard of and participated in a league with changes like this.

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited August 6
    Yup I'd stock up on RB and WR - and w/ 3 RB, especially target RB's early as there are less fantasy relevant RBs than WR. Typically you can make due with a late round QB, and in an 8 team league you can probably even rotate QBs from the WW based on matchups.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I agree, I'd to RB, RB and then either WR or another RB depending on who is out there.

I'd pick a QB ONLY after you have all your WR and RB slots filled.  
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    So 2 teams are out.

which means 2 staring RBs and 2-3 starting WRS depending on what your normal lineup is

now with 8 teams trying to get an extra RB you gotta lock that position down. Agree with everyone.

the commish should really rethink the 3RBs. Maybe make an extra flex or do 2 QB. But RBs are going to be a premium for sure. 
  • edited August 7
    Hatorian said:
    So 2 teams are out.

which means 2 staring RBs and 2-3 starting WRS depending on what your normal lineup is

now with 8 teams trying to get an extra RB you gotta lock that position down. Agree with everyone.

the commish should really rethink the 3RBs. Maybe make an extra flex or do 2 QB. But RBs are going to be a premium for sure. 
    There is plenty of time between now and the start of the season and I think I've got quite a bit of pull with the commissioner as he's basically my best friend.  His main thinking is that in a 12 team league you've got 24 starting running backs, so if you have an 8 team league with 3RB you still have 24 starting running backs.  Really the only difference roster wise is that QB, TE, and D/ST you only have 8 starting and not 12. 

I'm completely open to ideas to push him on so if you have a different idea regarding this I'd love to hear it.  

I will admit I kind of like the idea of switching from 3WR 3RB and 1 Flex to 3WR 2RB and 2 flex but I'm trying to think about how that would change the dynamic.  I almost feel like doing 2QB would put too much emphasis on the QB but I'm open to peoples ideas regarding it.
    The leagues I play in let the owner have plenty of options.  We have a roster max of 4 rb's and 4 wr/te's.  You don't HAVE to draft a te in our league.  That way you don't have a run on te's and you have to settle for a middle of the pack te when you can take a flier on a emerging wr. 

The owners can play 1 rb and 4 wr/te's, 2 rb's 3 wr/te's or 3 rb's 2 wr/te's.  That way its up to the owner to determine how they want to draft and fill their line up out each game.

I like to add options and that puts it more on the owner to set the best lineup instead of just trotting out the same lineup configuration each week based on restrictions.

I'm against to qb's, totally changes the entire scoring system in a league, IMO. 
  • rhcoop said:
    The leagues I play in let the owner have plenty of options.  We have a roster max of 4 rb's and 4 wr/te's.  You don't HAVE to draft a te in our league.  That way you don't have a run on te's and you have to settle for a middle of the pack te when you can take a flier on a emerging wr. 

The owners can play 1 rb and 4 wr/te's, 2 rb's 3 wr/te's or 3 rb's 2 wr/te's.  That way its up to the owner to determine how they want to draft and fill their line up out each game.

I like to add options and that puts it more on the owner to set the best lineup instead of just trotting out the same lineup configuration each week based on restrictions.

I'm against to qb's, totally changes the entire scoring system in a league, IMO. 
    That is a very different and interesting way to do fantasy football.  I don't think I would be able to convince him to get that much away from the standard but I will have to consider that for the future.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but man does that give you a ton of flexibility on who you draft not having x amount of receivers and x amount of runningbacks starting each week.
    rhcoop said:

That is a very different and interesting way to do fantasy football.  I don't think I would be able to convince him to get that much away from the standard but I will have to consider that for the future.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but man does that give you a ton of flexibility on who you draft not having x amount of receivers and x amount of runningbacks starting each week.

It puts a lot more on the owner and makes you pay attention to trends and who's playing what team each week.  There aren't a lot of touch free championships in our league :b
  • My advice  - be weary of World Cup hang over.  Of course you'll want Harry Kane on your squad but early in the season Pochettino will probable limit his minutes so make sure you have at least one other striker who's guaranteed starts.  Everton have an easy run of fixtures to open the season, so I'm pairing Kane with Cenk Tosun.

;)
    letrbuck2006ChinaskiGiovanni
  • I say use the "do the opposite" approach. Everyone is going to be drafting running backs, even more than usual, so you can get a frickin' steal on some amazing wide receivers and one of the top 3 tight ends. You want one of those 3 TE's, because there's such a big fall off after them. Obviously don't wait TOO long to start getting into RB's, but I bet you can find some value in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Definitely wait on QB.
    I say use the "do the opposite" approach. Everyone is going to be drafting running backs, even more than usual, so you can get a frickin' steal on some amazing wide receivers and one of the top 3 tight ends. You want one of those 3 TE's, because there's such a big fall off after them. Obviously don't wait TOO long to start getting into RB's, but I bet you can find some value in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Definitely wait on QB.
    I like it when owners in my leagues use this approach :b 

I'm joking, but RB's touch the ball a lot more than WR/TE's and have more opportunities to score.
    Doctor_Nick
    edited August 8
    I’m a RB/RB guy. It’s much easier to find WRs in later rounds then it is to get lucky on a RB. Yes there’s guys like Kamara who break the mold but for every Karmara there’s like 4 or 5 WRs.

my initial board would be something like this depending on PPR or not 

Gurley
    Bell
    Johnson
    Kamara
    Elliot
    Barkley
    Hunt
    Gordon
    then the WRs like Brownt, Jones, Hopkins, becham
    then if PPR I’m looking at guys like McCaffrey

if I had a top 6 pick I’m taking a RB. If I had a bottom 1-3 pick the might go WR/RB with the swing. 

I never take a defense or kicker until last 2 rounds and I always fill up my bench with either boom or bust RBs/WRs or handcuffs.

my usual draft roster ends up being 
    1 starter at every position then a bench full of RBs and WRs. 
    rhcoop
    And I 100% don’t draft on byes. Bye weeks don’t start until week 5 and that’s plenty of time to figure out how to sort that out
    edited August 8
    One of my leagues is a keeper and I’m keeping Howard and Cohen at 13 and 14th round. 1. I’m a Bears fan and 2. They are both excellent value there. So in that case I might change it up and go WR early. 
    Hatorian said:
    And I 100% don’t draft on byes. Bye weeks don’t start until week 5 and that’s plenty of time to figure out how to sort that out
    I ignore bye's as well.  I'll take a hit on one game a season if that means I've got all the players I want.  I also agree on kickers and DT's.  I drop and pick up those players throughout the season based on match ups.  

I agree with the rest of your strategy except handcuffs.  I don't touch those when I could take a flier on a potential emerging RB.

Here is a good podcast on FF.  They are starting to do their pre draft analysis soon, they do a good job breaking down their draft order by position.

They are independent guys so this isn't some NFL or corp show.

www.thefantasyfootballguys.com

Hatorian
    If you’re having a starting 3 RB league then you have no choice but to draft handcuffs. 

But yea. If it’s the normal 10-12 league with 2 RBs then you’re better trying to draft a guy like Guice or Penny or someone who has the inside shot at the starting RB position. 
  • Hatorian said:
    If you’re having a starting 3 RB league then you have no choice but to draft handcuffs. 

But yea. If it’s the normal 10-12 league with 2 RBs then you’re better trying to draft a guy like Guice or Penny or someone who has the inside shot at the starting RB position. 
    But with only having 8 teams it is essentially the same amount of starting runningbacks as a standard 2RB per team with a 12 team league.  So why would handcuffs be that much more valued for this league vs a standard 12 team league?  
    You’re right that they both equal 24 starters in total. 

12 X 2 and 8 X 3. 24.

So that leaves 8 other “starting” RBs for a back up for your byes, injuries, underperformance. Basically one for each team in the league but the draft never works out like that. 

Not sure about you but I don’t like those odds considering more starters increases the chance for RBs to be drafted early and then the increase in starters drives up your chances of having injuries and underperformance. 

I can think of like a third of the teams just off the top of my head where the starter going into the season was not the lead back by end of the year. Howard 2 years ago, Kamara last year, Henry last year, McKinnnom last year, all of the Giants, Skins, Seahawks and Dolphins RBs. I’m sure I’m missing a few. 

If you didn’t consider handcuffs and couldn’t play the waiver right then you missed out on a ton of backs. Also not sure if you get extra bench spots cuz less teams but if you do  then it for sure makes sense to back up someone like Howard with Cohen Whoever is backing up your first or second RB.

worst case you could find yourself drafting someone like a Johnson who gets hurt and then your bench has some committee RB you’re hoping wins the job during the season but doesn’t and you’re stuck getting like 7 points a week from 2 of your RBs.
    edited August 9
    There is no full proof strategy. But if I got 6-8 bench spots I’m definitely trying to handcuff at least 1 or 2 of my starting RBs then using 1 or 2 on a commitee guy I’m hoping can win the job during the season
  • Hatorian said:
    There is no full proof strategy. But if I got 6-8 bench spots I’m definitely trying to handcuff at least 1 or 2 of my starting RBs then using 1 or 2 on a commitee guy I’m hoping can win the job during the season
    There are tons of different strategies and I'll probably get a handcuff, maybe 2 but at the same time handcuffs aren't always a sure thing either.  If you don't need them they are completely wasting a spot on your bench and if you do what says they aren't a runningback by committee after your main back goes down.  I understand the reasoning behind it but I'd much rather take a gamble on a split backfield and hope that the one you get is the better guy and ends up getting more of the workload than a handcuff that goes completely wasted on your bench unless your starter gets hurt.

We do have I think 7 bench spots on this league so plenty of bench to get a handcuff, maybe 2 but I've never been a huge proponent of handcuffs.  It also depends on how the draft goes.  I'll be trying to take RB early in the draft but if I get a later pick in the order I'm not passing on a top 3 WR just to get a runningback.  
  • Hatorian said:
    There are tons of different strategies and I'll probably get a handcuff, maybe 2 but at the same time handcuffs aren't always a sure thing either.  If you don't need them they are completely wasting a spot on your bench and if you do what says they aren't a runningback by committee after your main back goes down.  I understand the reasoning behind it but I'd much rather take a gamble on a split backfield and hope that the one you get is the better guy and ends up getting more of the workload than a handcuff that goes completely wasted on your bench unless your starter gets hurt.

We do have I think 7 bench spots on this league so plenty of bench to get a handcuff, maybe 2 but I've never been a huge proponent of handcuffs.  It also depends on how the draft goes.  I'll be trying to take RB early in the draft but if I get a later pick in the order I'm not passing on a top 3 WR just to get a runningback.  
    Guice just tore his ACL. Luckily happens before the FF drafts but just another reason you need to consider handcuffs if that happened later. 

• Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:

Guice just tore his ACL. Luckily happens before the FF drafts but just another reason you need to consider handcuffs if that happened later. 

I saw that as well.  I pushed to have our draft after the last preseason game so we're drafting the Wednesday before the football season starts up.  Last year I was on the benefiting side of drafting Kareem Hunt before Spencer Ware went out.  I ended up with David Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot, and Kareem Hunt.  Would have absolutely dominated the league had Johnson not gone out week 1.  Also had Zack Ertz at TE and my #1 WR was Deandre Hopkins.  I took 2nd because the lead guy had Gurley, Gordon, Allen, Tyreek Hill and Gronk.