Kidding on Showtime (Jim Carrey) Trailer

Looks like this will be a new show in Showtime. Gave me a slight Wes Anderson feel:

https://youtu.be/jS6Gt76e_NA
DeeShum

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Oh wow, you’re spot on about the Wes Anderson vibe, lol. I don’t like Jim Carrey, but I’m interested enough to at least check this out. 
    KingKobra
  • Wow! I’m hooked. Hooked! Can’t wait! I love Eternal Sunshine, so to see the director is producing this and Carrey starring in it, it will be worth a watch at the very least. 
    Shum
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I'm up for anything Michel Gondry does.  
  • ShumShum Utah
    Damn, I might have to get Showtime now...
    KingKobra
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Does Showtime sell season passes? I am relatively sure they don't. But I can't ever really remember watching anything of theirs. 
  • Does Showtime sell season passes? I am relatively sure they don't. But I can't ever really remember watching anything of theirs. 

You can add it to Amazon Prime for $9/mo, just for the months the show is on. And that way you can also watch Twin Peaks: The Return which was the best thing on tv last year.
    I just dumped Amazon Prime, but was looking for a reason to pick it up again. @MrX you just helped me make that decision. 
  • MrX said:
    Does Showtime sell season passes? I am relatively sure they don't. But I can't ever really remember watching anything of theirs. 

You can add it to Amazon Prime for $9/mo, just for the months the show is on. And that way you can also watch Twin Peaks: The Return which was the best thing on tv last year.
    Also Showtime is running a promotion right now:

http://www.sho.com/order/providers/114,100/from-showtime,amazon-prime
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ESOTSM is one of my all-time fav movies so it has my attention.

Shumken hale
  • ShumShum Utah
    Chinaski said:
    ESOTSM is one of my all-time fav movies so it has my attention.

Yeah, anyone that hasn't checked out Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should definitely do so.  This really smart guy I know commissioned the guys to do a podcast on it a while back:
    http://baldmove.com/bald-movies/eternal-sunshine-of-the-spotless-mind-2004/
    KingKobra
  • I don't really like comedies, but this looks like something to suck me back in. I loved Jim Carrey as a kid. Plus, you know, Michel Gondry.
  • MrX said:

Hell yeah.  For some reason this morning I woke up thinking about how I should rewatch that, and now this looks interesting, too.  Shameless in September as well, so Showtime is definitely getting my money for at least the next few months.
    MrX
  • Sepinwall’s review:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/kidding-review-717988/

Reminder the show premieres this Sunday along with Shameless. 
  • The first episode is available in full on showtimes YouTube page. 
    KingKobraDummy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I watched the first episode a couple of weeks ago through - uh - means, and I was surprised by how good it was. I generally can’t stand Jim Carrey, but he is showing a subtlety here that I would not have thought him capable of.
    KingKobra
  • Saw the first episode, it was very good. This kind of reminds me of Man in the Moon and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (the way Jim Carrey is playing it). It’s on the darker side for sure, but has little sprinkles of comedy throughout. This is a short one as it’s only about 40 min long (I think it’s actually less). From what I’ve seen thus far it seems Sepinwall was spot on. 
    Dee
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Not totally sold on it but thought the pilot was good enough to keep watching. It’s like Mr Rogers if his personal life was a complete shit show. Interesting dynamic. And Jim Carrey is very good in this role.
  • Showtime put the second episode up yesterday, IMO it’s as good as the first and this show is for sure leaning towards dark comedy/drama. The cracks are starting to show more and I think we can see a “break” coming up fairly soon. 
    Dee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i enjoyed the pilot and like the direction it's going. i'm in.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Dee said:
    I watched the first episode a couple of weeks ago through - uh - means, and I was surprised by how good it was. I generally can’t stand Jim Carrey, but he is showing a subtlety here that I would not have thought him capable of.
    If you can ignore every about his life when he's not acting, he's kind of a phenomenal actor.
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    If you can ignore every about his life when he's not acting, he's kind of a phenomenal actor.
    He was so incredibly unlikable in the Netflix documentary about his Andy Kaufman stuff. I can separate that from his acting, but god. That was some of the most pretentious garbage I have ever heard come out of someone's mouth. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    Yeah, a lot of why I can’t stand him is because he’s such a garbage person. :-/
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    He was so incredibly unlikable in the Netflix documentary about his Andy Kaufman stuff. I can separate that from his acting, but god. That was some of the most pretentious garbage I have ever heard come out of someone's mouth. 
    I totally agree. The thing that made It even worse for me is that Carrey didn't understand or care that Andy Kaufman was playing a character and wasn't actually like that.
    Hunkulese said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    I totally agree. The thing that made It even worse for me is that Carrey didn't understand or care that Andy Kaufman was playing a character and wasn't actually like that.
    Yeah, I can't remember who they were talking to during that documentary who said as much. Its like Carrey wanted to get inside the brain of what he wanted Kaufman to be. And in order to do that just made everyone's lives miserable. It so uncomfortable.