Academy Adds 'Popular Film' Category to Oscars

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    So, basically they made a category so The Rock can win an Oscar. I approve.
    ChinaskiElisaDeeTravisFreibergNoel
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    So dumb, the Oscar worthy 'popular' films always come through when the plaudits are deserved. Can you get more popular than things like Titanic or Return Of The King?
    ChinaskiReniElisaMattyWeaves
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I wonder how much pressure Disney applied to the academy behind the scenes to make this happen?
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 8
    I think this is smart. This will get many people interested. And, even though I think the Oscars are a joke, they draw attention to a lot of good movies and I wouldn't mind more awareness of good film.

My interpretation of this is like... "Best Popcorn Flick." Or "The Thing That Everyone Saw That Was Pretty Good."

majjam0770Michelle
    rhcoop said:
    I wonder how much pressure Disney applied to the academy behind the scenes to make this happen?

It's not necessarily the Marvel category... if this existed this year, I think "It" should have won it.
    KingKobra
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I don' mind it. It's okay to recognize big budget box office successes that everyone loved, while also still giving the critical darlings their due in the traditional best picture awards. It's fair to recognize that most of the country enjoyed those movies over movies that The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

It's not as if anyone is rating ANY of these movies on some scientific or objective formula anyhow. The box office is the closest thing we have. 

They could also call this the "Best Comic Book or Sci-fi/Fantasy Picture" award. 
    JaimieTDeeHatorian
    I don' mind it. It's okay to recognize big budget box office successes that everyone loved, while also still giving the critical darlings their due in the traditional best picture awards. It's fair to recognize that most of the country enjoyed those movies over movies that The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

It's not as if anyone is rating ANY of these movies on some scientific or objective formula anyhow. The box office is the closest thing we have. 

They could also call this the "Best Comic Book or Sci-fi/Fantasy Picture" award. 

Yes, it's like "best genre feature." In writing circles (and maybe in other circles?) "genre" refers to anything that isn't just literary, just straight-up drama, like a Steinbeck or a Franzen novel.

So... thrillers, action, romance, sci-fi/fantasy, musicals, etc.

Of course there are always genre movies that are actually good, like The Lord of the Rings, and I don't think those will be shut out from Best Picture.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    JaimieT said:
    rhcoop said:

It's not necessarily the Marvel category... if this existed this year, I think "It" should have won it.
    I don't think Disney would win this every year, but there are Mickey's finger prints all over this move. 
    Elisa
    rhcoop said:
    JaimieT said:
    rhcoop said:

I don't think Disney would win this every year, but there are Mickey's finger prints all over this move. 

Correlation/causation... they're all over most big budget movies.
    edited August 8
    Also, it's not as if the movies that would benefit from this category the most are some dumb, awful popcorn flicks that kids and fanboy/girls love and critics disliked. The biggest Box Office hits these past few years have all had mostly great scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

For 2018 as an example, we have Mission Impossible with a 97% Fresh score, Black Panther with a 97%, Infinity War with 83%, and the list goes on. For comparison, Best Picture award nominees (and winner) The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri each had 92% fresh from the critics.
    I don't know exactly what their criteria is for picking the finalists, but I doubt it's only about box office. Summer popcorn flicks like Skyscraper (48% rotten) and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (51% Rotten) probably won't make the cut.
    JaimieT
    Yes. This category makes so much sense to me because I compartmentalize movies in my mind like this. "It" was really fun and suspenseful. Not every movie is about learning stuff.

Maybe if we awarded genre more, schlock like "The Shape of Water" wouldn't win. Jk, jk, Oscars are a joke, mumble mumble.
    All the ChickensFreiberg
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Call me when they add Best Kiss
    darwinfeeshy
    edited August 8
    kuman07 said:

All the gay kisses would win of course. Disobedience. Gay Jewish women kissing. Delete the category.
    amyja89Noel
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 8
    Just another reason to blow off award shows. 
    Anywho, I'm getting my popcorn ready to see which category they put Black Panther in. 
    JaimieT
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Anywho, I'm getting my popcorn ready to see which category they put Black Panther in. 
    They'll put it in the popular category, which is separate, but, ummm, equal i guess.
    darwinfeeshyJoshTheBlackken hale
    Frakkin T said:
    They'll put it in the popular category, which is separate, but, ummm, equal i guess.

I hope they put it in BP because I did find that movie to be more important and enlightening than entertaining.  :P
    All the Chickens
  • edited August 9
    "The details regarding eligibility in this category have not been announced -- and the Academy did not say when the change would take effect -- but the new award's purpose is clear: make sure the box office's biggest money makers have a chance to walk away with Oscars gold."

Art is dead. I blame capitalism.

As if making billions of dollars wasn't enough of an award for these films...
  • edited August 9
    The first Academy Awards had essentially the reverse of this with what were basically two Best Picture categories: Outstanding Picture and Best Unique & Artistic Picture.  With the former becoming what we now have as Best Picture and the latter recognizing a film that wasn’t necessarily as popular with audiences but had demonstrable artistic merit.  This only lasted one year because they felt it implied the winner of Outstanding Picture wasn’t “art.”  It’ll be interesting to see how this new category works and if they do a similar course correction in a few years.
    JaimieTken hale
    @darwinfeeshy - It's not to award movie sales, it's to attract the same customers. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    JaimieT said:
    kuman07 said:

All the gay kisses would win of course. Disobedience. Gay Jewish women kissing. Delete the category.
    Black Swan
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Yea, I agree this is good for ratings and more interest. You will also get some good movies to actually win like Logan, Get Out, Creed, Dark Knight, etc. 

Not sure how you will separate popular from the traditional but it would be great to see some movies that don’t stand a chance in hell to win. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah

Actually that might be the right answer. Split it up to 3 best pictures. Drama, Comedy and Sci-fi/fantasy. 

Best then keep the actors and all categories the same. 
  • People laughed at me when I told them "The Meg" deserved an Oscar. Who's laughing now!
    DeeHatoriancdriveChinaski
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Honestly I’ve never considered The Oscars to be all that legitimate or representative of the actual best productions who deserve recognition anyways, so the fact that they want to make it more entertaining is completely fine with me. 
    JaimieT
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Napoleon Dynamite called from his wall phone and wants his Oscar.

I also feel the Oscar's don't represent the best of the best, but they keep giving awards to Daniel Day-Lewis and I can't argue that.
  • I'm not the conspiracy type but I think that there might be people who don't want to give a Best Picture Oscar to Black Panther so they invented a category that superhero movies could win.

Hey Hollywood, instead of creating new awards try creating better movies that couldn't get trounced by comic books.
  • JaimieT said:
    I think this is smart. This will get many people interested. And, even though I think the Oscars are a joke, they draw attention to a lot of good movies and I wouldn't mind more awareness of good film.

My interpretation of this is like... "Best Popcorn Flick." Or "The Thing That Everyone Saw That Was Pretty Good."

Most people still won't want to watch 4 hours of hollywood self-fellatio, even if skyscraper (or whatever that title of the new Rock movie was) gets mentioned in one 5-minute segment. 

Most people don't really care what movie the oscars committee thinks is best, and they REALLY don't care what special effects the committee thinks is best. Chasing ratings for the Oscars is pointless. They just need to realize they are a niche product and stick to being that. 
    edited August 9
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:

Most people still won't want to watch 4 hours of hollywood self-fellatio, even if skyscraper (or whatever that title of the new Rock movie was) gets mentioned in one 5-minute segment. 

Most people don't really care what movie the oscars committee thinks is best, and they REALLY don't care what special effects the committee thinks is best. Chasing ratings for the Oscars is pointless. They just need to realize they are a niche product and stick to being that. 

It's 3 hours now, and also it's been moved up to early February. This category wasn't the only change.

I agree that most people will never watch the show, but they're bleeding people and maybe they can get them back. Me, for instance. I didn't watch this year's.
    asmallcatFreiberg
  • WTF does that category name even mean? Does the film with the highest box office totals automatically get an Oscar?