What's your favorite classic TV show (50s to 70s)?

MichelleMichelle California
edited August 8 in General
I just thought I'd add another hard-hitting, in depth thread to the mix. :wink: :grin:
So, what's your favorite classic television show, ranging from the 50s to the 70s?  I suppose the 80s would also qualify, but since I was a teenager then, I really hate to include that decade in anything 'classic'.  lol

I fell down a rabbit hole of I Love Lucy episodes in my background listening at work today, and I realized how timeless and funny this sitcom really continues to be, plus, Lucille Ball was just a legend.  It might qualify as my favorite. 

(Edit: I should add that I'm not fond of the husbands being so 'I'm the boss' and the wives calling them 'sir', but that was how it went back then.  Thank gawd we've evolved - mostly - from that.  Aside from that aspect,  I really love this show.)




JaimieTFreibergChinaskiElisamjmullady

Comments

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 8
    Always gotta pick the "I'd be saddest if this disappeared" one:

    I Dream of Jeannie 

    Honorable mentions:

    Star Trek

    Get Smart

    Wild Wild West

    Gilligan's Island
    MichelleFreiberg
  • Star Trek, All in the Family, MASH
    Michelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Michelle I had that scene thoroughly hyped for me when I was 10 or so by my best friend, and reenacted during, and so then I was determined not to laugh that much. To this day, I'd rather just watch something! But I adore the Hershey's kiss scene.
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don’t find a lot of TV from that era watchable anymore, but back in the day I remember crying my eyes out all night because I was grounded, which meant no TV, which meant no ChiPs. 
    MichelleElisa
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Twilight Zone and Batman.
    ChinaskicdriveMichelletelephoneofmadnessElisa
  • JaimieT said:
    Always gotta pick the "I'd be saddest if this disappeared" one:

    I Dream of Jeannie 

    Honorable mentions:

    Star Trek

    Get Smart

    Wild Wild West

    Gilligan's Island
    This is almost exactly my list too!  I’d probably put Gilligan’s Island as my number one, and I’d get Bewitched and Batman in there too, but man, this list is basically my childhood viewing in a nutshell.
    JaimieT
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Twilight Zone and Batman.
    excellent picks! i second those.

    love me some throwback cartoons. specifically Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera. 

    i watched a bunch of Three Stooges and Benny Hill Show with my pops as a kid, so shout out to those shows too.
    Michelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 9
    Chinaski said:
    Twilight Zone and Batman.
    excellent picks! i second those.

    love me some throwback cartoons. specifically Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera. 

    i watched a bunch of Three Stooges and Benny Hill Show with my pops as a kid, so shout out to those shows too.

    Man, I have an obsession with One Froggy Evening. So much so that I don't even like spoiling it for people. Full episode's not on YouTube, only clips? Well then nothing's getting linked.

    Edit: Here's a link https://gloria.tv/video/nDmaPjYdUyFf1PMFhrSURB3k2

    The weird thing is ... I haven't had it retro-hyped for me. I saw it as a kid and it's stuck around in my mind, grown on me.

    I need to get a painting or something. Some art. 
    MichelleChinaski
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Is there any love for the Andy Griffith Show out there?  This scene gets me every time.  I'm a softie, I can't help it.






    ChinaskiFreddykingbee67
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Twighlight zone for sure. 
    ChinaskiMichelleMattyWeavestelephoneofmadnessElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Michelle said:
    Is there any love for the Andy Griffith Show out there?  This scene gets me every time.  I'm a softie, I can't help it.







    Oh yeah, I grew up watching this almost constantly. Honestly if it weren't so associated in my mind with the culty church I attended (they LOVED this show) I'd probably love it still today.
    MichelleFreddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    JaimieT said:
    Chinaski said:
    Twilight Zone and Batman.
    excellent picks! i second those.

    love me some throwback cartoons. specifically Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera. 

    i watched a bunch of Three Stooges and Benny Hill Show with my pops as a kid, so shout out to those shows too.

    Man, I have an obsession with One Froggy Evening. So much so that I don't even like spoiling it for people. Full episode's not on YouTube, only clips? Well then nothing's getting linked.

    Edit: Here's a link https://gloria.tv/video/nDmaPjYdUyFf1PMFhrSURB3k2

    The weird thing is ... I haven't had it retro-hyped for me. I saw it as a kid and it's stuck around in my mind, grown on me.

    I need to get a painting or something. Some art. 
    haha.. my sister's called me the WB Frog as a kid. i would do dumb funny things around them, then they'd bring their friends around and tell me to 'do that thing..' and 'ribbit-ribbit'.
    MichelleJaimieT
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 9
    Just one!? Ahhh hell, I've probably gotta go with Gomer Pyle, USMC. But Jesus... Who can pick just one. All in the Family, Good Times, The Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island, The Honey Mooners, I Love Lucy, Movin' On Up, etc. Any one of those are top shelf TV
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 9
    JaimieT said:
    Man, I have an obsession with One Froggy Evening. So much so that I don't even like spoiling it for people. Full episode's not on YouTube, only clips? Well then nothing's getting linked.

    Edit: Here's a link https://gloria.tv/video/nDmaPjYdUyFf1PMFhrSURB3k2
    That's such a classic!  

    Chinaski said: 
    love me some throwback cartoons. specifically Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera.  
    Me too!  Some weekends, if I'm feeling lazy and homebody-ish, I'll just curl up with a blanket & watch some good Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, or classic Disney cartoons.  I love me some Chip 'n Dale.  :grin:





    JaimieT
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:
    Is there any love for the Andy Griffith Show out there?  This scene gets me every time.  I'm a softie, I can't help it.






    and..... now i have that whistling opening theme stuck in my head :#
    Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:

    Chinaski said: 
    love me some throwback cartoons. specifically Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera.  
    Me too!  Some weekends, if I'm feeling lazy and homebody-ish, I'll just curl up with a blanket & watch some good Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, or classic Disney cartoons.  I love me some Chip 'n Dale.  :grin:



    yes!! let's not forget Woody Wood Pecker, Felix the Cat, and Popeye!
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 9
    Chinaski said:
    yes!! let's not forget Woody Wood Pecker, Felix the Cat, and Popeye!
    Yes!  And what about Huckleberry Hound and Chilly Willy?  


    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    great list @Freddy - can't leave out some Sanford and Son my dude!

    FreibergElisa
  • The Twilight Zone. It was so influential. This is basically the yardstick for all the horror and sci-fi I watch. The worst episodes are better than most horror/sci-fi being made now. Damn, I really need to re-watch it.
    ChinaskicdriveMichelleJaimieTMattyWeavesElisa
  • There might be an interesting addendum to the question: What was your favorites but what could you tolerate watching now? I watched a shitload of Brady Bunch but would jump off the roof before watching that again.

    Of everything from the 50's-70's the most re-watchable for me are The Twilight Zone, MASH, Looney Tunes and maybe The Honeymooners but I haven't seen it in a long time so I'm not too sure. Art Carney and Jackie Gleason had such great comedy chemistry. As a kid I thought Desi Arnez was so cool and funny on I Love Lucy, way before finding out what a horrible person he was.

    Maybe a sub question is how many could get made today for various reasons? Could All in the Family and the shows it spawned get made today?
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @CapeGabe - Yeah, I know I can tolerate Star Trek because I rewatched an episode the other day for fun. The same with Twilight Zone. So... probably just those two. I could do I Dream of Jeannie, but let's just say I'd enjoy it differently than I did as a kid. I notice the sexism now. Who knew a near-omnipotent genie could be so helpless?
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    I'd have to go with Bewitched and the Dick Van Dyke Show...I loved me some Nick at Night back in the day.

    I'll also always have a soft spot for Little House on the Prairie because my mom and I watched every rerun probably like 8 times.  It was her favorite show <span>:smile:</span>

    FreibergMichelle
  • MASH and the Rockford Files. 
    Michelle
  • Bonanza! How could you not enjoy that.  MASH and All in the Family are the tops  
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Charlie’s Angels, The Love Boat, & Fantasy Island anyone?  
    mjmullady
Sign In or Register to comment.