BlacKkKlansman - This is why I'm happy to be in Club Baldmove

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Freddy said:
    How was Topher Grace's David Duke? 
    Exactly what it needed to be, haha. He played it like he constantly had Red calling him a "dumbass" off screen.
    MattyWeavesTootsmagootssarahtatugamjmulladyAvienndha
  • Wow, best Bald Move cast ever!  Y’all are woke!
    JaimieTCretanBullFreibergA_Ron_HubbardMichelleAvienndha
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    Wow, that was BLISTERING. Poor @Jim getting interrupted every time though, lol. 

I still know nothing about this movie from this review but I sure as hell want to see it. 
    I hate that I do that. I really do. It's so painful to listen to. Knowing my tendency to do that shit in even normal, less emotionally charged circumstances, I fully intended to just let him speak for the first five minutes. I had thought about that plan the whole drive back to the studio; "I'm going to just let him run and just be like "amen!", "preach!"", etc. But then  60 seconds into the cast I'm like 
    Haha, it’s okay - he’s still buds with you 20 years later so it can’t bug him that much. I notice it because I tend to do the same thing when I’m passionate about a subject, and I hear myself do it and will be like “Shutup shutup let the other person speak” in my head, but my mouth just has SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS.
    FreibergEine FrauA_Ron_HubbardMichelle
  • For everyone who is pumped up right now but not sure where to put that energy. An excellent starting place is registering people to vote. Rock The Vote is a great place to sign up to volunteer for local voting drives and other events.
    CretanBullFreibergA_Ron_HubbardMichellesamollyAvienndha
  • SnarlingNikkiSnarlingNikki Philly-ish
    edited August 2018
    Absolutely one of your best episodes! Yes, it's important to listen to and amplify the voices of the marginalized. But in reality, we won't be able to achieve true equality without the help of white allies. Btw, that actress is not the same young lady from the Leftovers. This actress is named Laura Harrier. The one from the Leftovers is named Jasmin Savoy Brown.
    JaimieTA_Ron_HubbardDeeMichelleElisamjmulladyAvienndha
    Absolutely one of your best episodes! Yes, it's important to listen to and amplify the voices of the marginalized. But in reality, we won't be able to achieve true equality without the help of white allies. Btw, that actress is not the same young lady from the Leftovers. This actress is named Laura Harrier. The one from the Leftovers is named Jasmine Savoy Brown.
    I talked about this on lunch re: Ms. Harrier, but, boy is my face red. 
    SnarlingNikkiElisamjmullady
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    What I love about this thread is that there are several people who’ve been around a while but never commented before, and they’re coming out for this. It’s great, and I hope you guys all stick around! 
    cdriveMichelleFreibergApril_May_JuneFlukesphoenyx1023MattyWeavesmajjam0770
  • More on point, guy in northern PA with a bunch of swastikas decorating his yard, calls himself a neo-nazi:

Most of the discussion after the initial reporting can probably be skipped (its the standard CNN model of antagonist-moderator-antagonist tri-panel), but they at least beat the drum of our racist president being an enabler for racist groups
  • Topher Grace talking about his role in the movie:

MichelleDawnOwar
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 2018
    It's a pretty simple concept. :heart:

hitmyCretanBullFreibergElisahisdudeness915mjmullady
  • I was tearing up on the plane listening to the podcast and how passionate ARon was. It brought up the same feels I had when I saw Selma. I felt so ashamed and it was such a powerful movie. Looking forward to BKKKM
    CretanBullFreibergMichelleJaimieTDawnOwar
  • xulsolar22xulsolar22 Houston, TX
    Listened to the podcast on my drive to work this AM and found myself yelling “YAAASSSS!!” over and over, and pumping my fist so much that basically, it turned into the Arsenio Hall arm pump.  Y’all are like the reluctant superheroes who have finally realized the potential of the power you wield. I am super-proud if you today. 
    I’ve second guessed myself before on whether I’m “brainwashing” my kids, or if I’m teaching them right nowadays.  But you guys are damn right, there is one side that’s righteous and on the side of humanity.  How can I be ambivalent when it’s so obvious?
    FreibergJaimieTA_Ron_Hubbardhitmyphoenyx1023FlukesDeegguenotElisaMichelleand 3 others.
  • edited August 2018
    I just signed back up for a membership after hearing the wonderful rant that was the review of this movie. Right on guys. You deserve my $$$ just for that alone.  (I only let it lapse cause i wasnt watching shows you were doing at the time. you still rule)
    FlukesA_Ron_HubbardDeeJaimieTZsa004gguenotMichelleLordBymjmullady
  • I didn't have time to comment when I browsed this thread earlier, and most of my thoughts have already been expressed. So I'll just say this: I am so glad - SO glad - we're finally seeing the light on how harmful it is to give these gaslighting bigots (and misogynists etc) any platform, and how futile (and tiresome) a 'kill them with civility and rational debate!' policy is. 

Such a good fuckin podcast man. Like, seriously a powerful moment for so many reasons. I'm proud of y'all.  <3
    hitmyDeeFreibergCretanBullJaimieTA_Ron_HubbardFlukesElisaMichelleAvienndha
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I didn't have time to comment when I browsed this thread earlier, and most of my thoughts have already been expressed. So I'll just say this: I am so glad - SO glad - we're finally seeing the light on how harmful it is to give these gaslighting bigots (and misogynists etc) any platform, and how futile (and tiresome) a 'kill them with civility and rational debate!' policy is. 

Such a good fuckin podcast man. Like, seriously a powerful moment for so many reasons. I'm proud of y'all.  <3
    I was hoping you’d pop up here. :-)
    phoenyx1023CretanBullA_Ron_HubbardFlukesMichelle
  • edited August 2018
    Holy moly great cast. Respect to you both for the decision to say “screw it” to the cares of anyone that disagrees with the premise of your podcast discussion. I think you’re already doing all you can now (or anything that could be reasonably be asked of you) - basically if we want to have a hope to solve the problem we have to be willing to lose acquaintances, business, customers etc if we want to strongly reject the harmful ideology they spout. 

Edit. On another note , I am really curious about the end of the movie....will need to check it out this weekend.  

I also lost it at “we was Romans” until I realized it was a spot on analysis. 
    CretanBullphoenyx1023JaimieTA_Ron_HubbardMichelleAvienndha
  • One of my favorite pearls of wisdom right now:

I will defend to my death your right to your opinion.
    Unless your opinion denies someone their personhood or life.

phoenyx1023A_Ron_HubbardFreibergMichellemjmulladyAvienndha
  • edited August 2018
    @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim Riveting stuff, guys.

The MIA thread was deleted, but something I wanted to express was the connection to the Bald Move community.  People would say "oh, just ignore him or stay away from..." -- Fuck that.  After 5+ years of heavy emotional and financial investment, I couldn't ignore the cancer growing in the BM community.  I'm not a pivotal member by any means, but I care a hell of a lot.  It was extremely disheartening when certain things/members were allowed to stand, but this is what I've been waiting for.  Thank you stepping up and coming back hard. 

However, I would like to see at least one red avatar (banned) already.  After such a public declaration, the ball is firmly in their court.  Some will turn to whataboutism and others will pose as martyrs -- persecuted for their beliefs on Bald Move.  The dangerous ones will only become more selective and coded.  We know who.  Basically, don't give these dudes the chance to adjust and become better racists and smarter pieces of shit.

Edit - And just as a type this, the whatabouts are starting to fly.
    MrXCretanBullphoenyx1023JaimieT
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    So the pod was awesome for various and obvious reasons.

To maybe change the subject of online free speech hose shit, I very very verrrry lightly confronted my first Trump supporter the other day and A.Ron reminded me of it during his come to Jesus talk.

First, it was a frail old man, like the type that might blow over with a strong gust. I was walking out of the super market with my wife and my eyes didn't understand why I was seeing a white MAGA hat.

So I for some reason said, "make America great again? They come in white now too?"

I don't confront people, I have no idea why I said it. All I heard was, "that's right," but his glass legs took so long to turn him around, my wife had already grabbed me and pulled me out the door.

We eyed each other through the door and I proceeded to rant about him for a half hour.

MichelleJaimieTAvienndha
  • And just as a reminder that all the "both sides" BS is indeed BS ... 1 year ago a Nazi murdered a peaceful protester in broad daylight and our President said there were good people on both sides. Fuck that shit right the fuck out of here. 

Worth a read:
    https://wapo.st/2AVkwxs

I haven't seen BlacKkKlansman yet but was compelled to listen to the pod, good stuff @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard
    DeeMichelleCretanBullphoenyx1023FreibergJaimieThisdudeness915
  • This is expanding every week
    So keep an eye out for those who live where it’s not showing yet, it will probably get there soon.
    Im linking the website with dates and cities.

http://www.focusfeatures.com/blackkklansman/theaters
    MichelleCretanBull
  • Okay so I just went and saw the movie (Spoilers follow) because the podcast review/rant really resonated with all the feelings I have about everything since Charlottesville.. well since ever but especially since Charlottesville. I've been unfriending people on my facebook whos opinions i no longer care to see, which has made some of my oldest and formerly best friends very angry at me, so simultaneously while looking for movie times I'm getting messages from people telling me what a jerk I am and how I must be a sad and terrible person because I can't be tolerant of other people's views. I wanted to stay in Jim and Aron's space for awhile longer so i went by myself to the theater to see this movie.

Afterwards i listened to the podcast a second time now that I could really understand the specific things you were saying about the actual film and I think the review was even more spot-on. Totally agree with everything you said about it being entertaining and funny. I didn't find it too preachy. All the performances were great and so many points were made. Some delicately. Some not so delicately but all done well and appropriately. 

I felt sad. at the end. Not guilty but maybe because I'm Jewish. I don't know. I liked the Adam Driver character because I was glad a Jewish character was included and the complexity of all that. My personal experience is that I *was* raised with the Jewish cultural stuff like food and holidays but not so much the religion part. My only issue (if thats the word) is that generally speaking White Supremacists don't ever even seem to suspect I might be Jewish. And I look totally Jewish if you know what one looks like. The ones I've met (weirdly enough, white supremacists dig me it turns out)... They hate "Jews" but don't even know who that really even is. So I get the thing he was saying about passing but unlike him, I've always told people I was Jewish. In fact, I say it up front when I meet new people, cause if that's gonna be an issue i need to know right away. I never *tried* to pass myself off as a non-Jewish person, I just think since we pretty much look like any other white people, we usually get treated like any white people. I felt like Spike may have missed the mark just a little here since I don't personally know any Jews who don't own it as their identity. But i totally agree with the point he was making that we don't have to think about this stuff most of the time. 

The end made me want to cry. Because its sad that its still going on. Never stopped. and that its reality and not just a movie by the end. And that, like you guys, I don't have an answer what to do or how to fix it. 

Anyway I'm gonna keep taking these people off my facebook for my own peace. I don't have to be welcoming to every opinion, especially when the opinion is that "Liberals are stupid" or "lets leave politics out of this". I have every right to curate my news feed and my friends list and you have every right to moderate your forums.

Thank you for letting me experience this whole thing with you guys.  <3 
    MichelleDeeShumCretanBullphoenyx1023MattyWeavesZsa004
  • Been a long time fan of BaldMove, finding their podcast on the Walking Dead when it started, then Game of Thrones (my first GoT podcast was/is BGaS)

This is the first thread I've posted in here.  I've appreciated reading through all the comments.  Nice community.  Look forward to checking in more.
    DeeCretanBullphoenyx1023FreibergJaimieThisdudeness915mjmulladyAvienndha
    edited August 2018
    This thread is a joyous occasion where brothers and sisters are joining as one to rise up against racism and fascism in America in response to Spike Lee's amazing, powerful call to action. Unless your comment is the living embodiment of this gif...

...it's not welcome here. This is the thread for unwarranted concern about our review and changing forum policies. Post it there if it's already not been raised and you can phrase your concern without coming across as an asshole. Or, if you're a white guy in a huff... you know, you can sit this one out. Have a think on it for a few weeks. Maybe lurk in some social justice communities. Learn some things. See a wider, more complete world. Prepare to get your fragile feelings hurt, because man oh man I can speak from experience when I say it's really going to suck hard when you begin to grasp the concept of institutional racism and your role in it's persistence.

It's not like we haven't all seen a million free thinking super-rational types who've never in their life felt an existential threat from the State naval gaze over free speech in private establishments before. 
    JaimieTphoenyx1023FreibergDawnOwarmjmulladyGeorgechrisk
  • I just finished listening to the podcast, and have so many thoughts and feelings.  I'm not nearly articulate enough to express them, so I will just say that was a fantastic podcast, and that I am so proud to be part of this little corner of the internet!

Bravo @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard !  

:) 
    cdriveA_Ron_Hubbardhisdudeness915ChinaskiAvienndha
  • I am a listener because I like listening to you guys talk about TV/Movies. This podcast and this forum thread are the reason I am a club member. Fuck reviewing a film. This is bigger than that and I’m glad you made the decision to go that route. Jim, A.Ron, and most of the people in this community: Keep doing what you’re doing. You guys rock!!
    Avienndha
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    finally got around to listening and really nicely done fellas. on Saturday's i go on a run while listening to Bald Move. today i threw on this cast and had to press pause on my run, went into a Jamba Juice and listened away over a cucumber orange cooler.

again, really well done. a razor-sharp podcast!
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Amazing movie. I think this is the Best Picture winner.

Amazing podcast from the guys. I want more politics! <3
    Avienndha
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 2018
    Fantastic interview came in the mail today. Highly recommended read.

http://time.com/longform/blackkklansman-spike-lee/

Chinaski
  • edited August 2018
    This movie wasn't even on my radar before I heard the guys review and I'm so glad I did. I went to see it today and was blown away. It was so powerful, and also just excellent from a filmmaking perspective as well.

While it had some great funny moments, I felt uncomfortable at times when my predominately white audience would laugh at just the overt racism of the Klan members. It gave me that gross feeling I get when watching Tarantino talk about black people.

Edit: Also, I don't know if it will make @A_Ron_Hubbard feel better about the actress mix up, but I was convinced this movie featured Steve Buscemi and Cricket from Always Sunny and neither of those is true.
    Dee