Directed by Michelle MacLaren
Cinematography by Marshall Adams
Edited by Chris McCaleb
Alkaid13Natter Cast

Comments

• One less discussion thread to make, thanks @hypergenesb
    hypergenesb
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    A Michelle Maclaren episode this early in the season is interesting. She seems to be tasked with the action heavy episodes of the tv she does pretty often. I think BCS is very well done but it really hasn't grabbed me they way Breaking Bad did. Not even close really. Case in point, I just rewatched BB with my stepdaughter who was seeing it for the first time. It was so much fun watching her react to all the mind blowing moments in Breaking Bad. We now need a new show to watch together, and knowing her and her reaction to BB, I really dont think she'll like BCS and I can see why. I like BCS a lot, but it dosen't have the jaw dropping moments of tension or plot developments like BB.  The elder law/sandpiper stuff was so boring to me, even though I noticed how well done it was.

This season seems VERY promising though, from the first episode and all of the interviews I've read about the season, I'm optimistic about where BCS is going. That said, I'm legitimately puzzled by the people who say Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad. In my opinion from the first three seasons of BCS, it's not even a contest. Breaking Bad blows BCS away on rewatchabllity alone. No part of me wants to go back and watch the first three seasons again, even though it would be the logical new show choice for my stepdaughter 
    TBINKANSAS
  • edited August 14
    I also enjoy this show but one of the things I criticized about it a while back was that they really put this show into cruise control in season 2, which I still think was a business decision to get 5 seasons of this show when there's really only about 3 seasons of story to tell. Episode 401 seemed to exemplify this, almost nothing at all happened that whole episode. I still enjoyed it, enough even to be surprised when the episode ended thinking it was only half over, but again that was because pretty much nothing happened.

At the end of season 1 I said Jimmy drove into the parking lot at the end as Jimmy and drove out as Saul. In season 2 I was excited to see him create his own practice and slowly slide further and further into criminality with successively more questionable clientele until one day he's fully the Saul we know from BB. Instead we're getting a much slower burn, which I again can't help but think is because they're just milking it. 

Deegjames80
  • I thought gus sat on the board of the hospital, why does he have to sneak his personal physician in to tio's room
  • He is setting these guys up for disappointment 
  • Kim laying the emotional smack down. 
    Rhea Seehorn just revived another mostly boring episode of better call saul 
    gjames80
    Rhea Seehorn just revived another mostly boring episode of better call saul 

So did that ending 
    gjames80
  • But DID he get to keep that 6th brick?
  • edited August 14
    Do we think the cousins will get suspicious that an enforcer of theirs disappeared?
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Zsa004 said:
    Do we think the cousins will get suspicious that an enforcer of theirs disappeared?
    I'd put even money on Nacho becoming acquainted with the cousin's axe by the end of the series.
    gjames80
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited August 14
    Hunkulese said:
    Zsa004 said:
    I'd put even money on Nacho becoming acquainted with the cousin's axe by the end of the series.
    Did you watch Breaking Bad?

edit: Perhaps I should rewatch instead. I could have sworn Nacho was the guy who they killed in Jesse’s basement in season 1, but the actor doesn’t appear to be in Breaking Bad. 

Carry on.
  • THat ending made up for the whole episode. Gus simply saying I own you in such a menacing way was chilling. 

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @JoshTheBlack I think the only thing ever we get of Nacho in Breaking Bad is the episode where Walt and Jessie kidnap Saul and take him out to the desert and before they pull the mask off him, Saul thinks it's Ignacio (Nacho) taking revenge on him.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    @JoshTheBlack I think the only thing ever we get of Nacho in Breaking Bad is the episode where Walt and Jessie kidnap Saul and take him out to the desert and before they pull the mask off him, Saul thinks it's Ignacio (Nacho) taking revenge on him.
    It will be interesting to see how their worlds intersect again. Its been quite a while since they have seen each other if memory serves.

Also, is Pony Tale's demise the only reference to the episode title? I am trying to think of what else Breathe could be referring to. 
  • Hmmm......box cutter to the throat or slowly suffocate in a plastic bag, is there a preferred Fring death just just to make point? Which would you opt for, does the Villigould have any other Fring inspired deaths in store?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited August 14
    Garthgou81 said:

Also, is Pony Tale's demise the only reference to the episode title? I am trying to think of what else Breathe could be referring to. 
    I keep picturing Kim taking a breath before laying into Howard. And breathing is about the only thing Don Salamanca can do right now.

Also, am I imagining things or was there the slightest tinge of a smile on Hector's face when either Nacho or Ponytail was saying they roughed up some other gang? I might have been looking for things but I swear it was almost like he heard it and it made him happy.
    So it is not that I don't believe Gus would kill Ponytail, he is a drug kingpin after all. But I kind of liked the idea that until Walt and Jesse came on the scene that he was able to run things somewhat peacefully. And once Walt shows up, it pushes him over the edge. 
    gjames80
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Gods DAMN is Michelle Maclaren a great director of actors. How much nuance can you cram onto one facial read? All of it, apparently.
    hypergenesb
  • edited August 14
    I can't be the only one completely turned on by Kim when she is hammering Howard. Dang she was fired up! Of course she obviously turned herself on as well...lol.
    hypergenesb
    Cuz you know what the perfect crime is? Coming off like a sociopath in an interview and then robbing the place and selling the goods in eBay. No way anyone will trace that.

Betcha 'Saul Goodman' is his online identity.
    gjames80
    It's easy to forget, but we're about 3-4 years into the War on Terror(tm) here. Mike's security concerns would be taken as seriously as liver cancer.
    Murderbear
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    Zsa004 said:
    Did you watch Breaking Bad?

edit: Perhaps I should rewatch instead. I could have sworn Nacho was the guy who they killed in Jesse’s basement in season 1, but the actor doesn’t appear to be in Breaking Bad. 

Carry on.
    Basement guy was Krazy-8, who's also the guy Nacho viciously beat up in the taco shop when he was short. 
    Giovanni
  • edited August 14
    So I was watching the little Inside the Episode (or whatever they call them) video for episode 2, and Bob Odenkirk said that the two guys in the interview for Neff reminded Jimmy of his father, who was also a bit of a rube. I love that, and I think it makes the scene make a lot of sense. 
    MrXhypergenesbYonatan
  • I really didn't know what they were going for with Jimmy's interview. My initial reaction was to interpret the scene as proof that Jimmy is losing it, still quite broken after Chuck's death despite seeming to snap out of it after Howard's confession. But I guess there's also his internal battle between "Jimmy" and "Saul Goodman." He's able to turn on the latter to get the job but the former takes control when he realizes how easily his new bosses were duped by him. It's almost like he's got a split personality at this point, and Jimmy is still sabotaging Saul. I guess he has not yet reached the point where Saul becomes the dominant personality.
    gjames80Yonatan
    So I was watching the little Inside the Episode (or whatever they call them) video for episode 2, and Bob Odenkirk said that the two guys in the interview for Neff reminded Jimmy of his father, who was also a bit of a rube. I love that, and I think it makes the scene make a lot of sense. 
    Oh that is fantastic. That never even crossed my mind. And yeah, his dad was a rube, a kind-hearted one though. 
    Natter Cast
    Oh that is fantastic. That never even crossed my mind. And yeah, his dad was a rube, a kind-hearted one though. 
    Yeah, love this...especially as we consider that one of the principles of conning is that you appeal to people's optimism and decency, not just their greed or spite.

Jimmy made quite a pitch and they were motivated to give him a chance based on their sincere hope that it would be a good choice.

It was foolish to agree to not bigly vet him, especially since "why aren't you a lawyer anymore?" is a red flag big enough for Tiananmen Square.

But they were sold based not on a desire to rip anyone off or do anyone harm, but out of enthusiasm for providing businesses with reliable "beating hearts."

Jimmy cuts corners and does bad things, but ultimately there's a core of decency within him. He's starting to have contempt for that part of himself.
    This was the first pitch that I'd heard from Jimmy in a while where there wasn't something all that dastardly or underhanded. Sure he was trying to get a job, but there was some inherent honesty there. He'd knock it out of the park as a copier salesman. 
    edited August 14
    Okay, let's talk about Kimplicity and Kimpassion

She really leaned in on Howard. And there's a strong case that he deserved it.

However..

After the "cross to bear" scene, Jimmy gets up and starts whistling. He doesn't seem to be that upset. Kim seemed to react this with surprise. It seemed like she was upset that Jimmy would be cruel to Howard.

Then, the next day, Jimmy is heading out for a job hunt. She doesn't want him to go. When she asks him about the estate meeting with Howard, he blows it off completely. Couldn't be less concerned.

So she goes in his place. It's not her family. It's a conversation for Howard and Jimmy.

And then she lays into Howard for his treatment of Jimmy. She clearly cares deeply. It's just not so clear that Jimmy does (though I buy that he's in denial.)

So what really motivates Kim here? Has she seen this process as being harmful to Jimmy? Or is she venting some of her own anger on her own behalf?

And...if so...doesn't that make her Howard's mirror image? Dumping on someone else for her own reasons? To make herself feel better?

#Kimplicity
    hypergenesbKela15