Abaddon’s Gate - Book Discussion

This is dedicated to the discussion of the novel Abaddon’s Gate, Book 3 in the Expanse series. All spoilers up to and including Book 3 are allowed, this includes the novellas: “The Butcher of Anderson Station”, “The Churn”, “Drive”, and “Gods of Risk” as well as all of Books 1 & 2.  If you’d like to discuss all written works in general please see the Book Club discussion thread. No spoilers past Book 3 please and that includes show spoilers.
Elisa

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited February 15
    Just finished a season 3 rewatch, interesting to see the choices they made to fit the story into the show. The ended up in basically the same place, but changed up a lot of the characters on the Behemoth especially and streamlined the mutiny/counter-mutiny plot.

Ashford comes off as a much more sympathetic and nuanced character in the show, even though he does end up fighting against our heros in the end. They do a great job combining Bull and Pa into Drummer. And by separating Naomi from the Roci they kindof roll Sam into her, and earned some emotional payoff on her return. Obviously would've been cool to see Bull, but with the introduction of Ashford might have been too many new characters thrown at us at once. Also smart to put Bobbie on the Martian Marine team, makes sense to put someone we're sympathetic to there. Is she gonna be part of the Roci crew for season 4??

Overall I thought they did a really good job adapting the book.
    Elisa
  • I don't know, I liked what they did with Ashford, too, but Sam and Pa are definitely missing. Sam's character arc is an important event for the whole series since she was something like an extended crew member who was repairing the ship with strong ties to all of the members. She is referenced a lot in the books later like an echo during moments of reflection. It would have also raised the stakes for the characters, something that I felt was somewhat missing.  Pa becomes important later, I really hope they introduce her because I like her arc and we need more Belter characters. I want my pirate queen. :-)
    Bobby is not part of the 4 book but they could integrate her. Maybe even opposite of the Rosenante crew for some time or else it would be very one sided.
    Elisa
  • I liked the streamlining they did but I really feel like Sam would've made for a strong arc and was bummed to see her omitted. I don't believe we see Pa in the show, it's just gonna be Drummer absorbing those arcs going forward. I haven't started my rewatch yet but am planning to do so now that Prime has Season 3. 

Next book comes out in March btw
    Elisa
  • Byrdie said:
    I liked the streamlining they did but I really feel like Sam would've made for a strong arc and was bummed to see her omitted. I don't believe we see Pa in the show, it's just gonna be Drummer absorbing those arcs going forward. I haven't started my rewatch yet but am planning to do so now that Prime has Season 3. 

Yea I think including Sam would've definitely given more character depth to Naomi as well. They were able to get some of it out of the Naomi-Drummer relationship - but they don't get the loss that Naomi has to experience through the loss of Sam.
    Elisa
  • Byrdie said:
    I liked the streamlining they did but I really feel like Sam would've made for a strong arc and was bummed to see her omitted. I don't believe we see Pa in the show, it's just gonna be Drummer absorbing those arcs going forward. I haven't started my rewatch yet but am planning to do so now that Prime has Season 3. 

It is a shame Drummer is so many characters. Maybe at the end of the series it will be a Cara Gee one woman show.
    Elisa
  • CapeGabe said:
    Byrdie said:

It is a shame Drummer is so many characters. Maybe at the end of the series it will be a Cara Gee one woman show.

Drummer is Beltalowda, literally
    Elisa
  • edited February 22
    I think a lot is going to ride on how this next season does for Amazon. I'm glad they are off SyFy and if it does well at Amazon they might get a bigger budget and have more characters introduced. Rumor is that this will be the Illus season and that should actually narrow the scope a bit as they all basically get marooned there. I can't wait to see who they get to play the villain. Should be a big Amos season too (they should all be from here on out).

Elisa
  • Byrdie said:
    I think a lot is going to ride on how this next season does for Amazon. I'm glad they are off SyFy and if it does well at Amazon they might get a bigger budget and have more characters introduced. Rumor is that this will be the Illus season and that should actually narrow the scope a bit as they all basically get marooned there. I can't wait to see who they get to play the villain. Should be a big Amos season too (they should all be from here on out).
    I think we're not supposed to talk about future books here - I think there's a thread for Cibola Burn somewhere - I'll dig that up to respond.
    Byrdie
  • edited February 22
    Fair Point I spoilered it if you wanna delete the quote