Would you Rather?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Hatorian said:
    Would you rather be the first person on Mars or get abducted and be able to confirm aliens exist but have no proof?
    hmmm.. i've seen Fire in the Sky and The Martian. i'll take first person on Mars.
    Hatorian
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Hatorian said:
    Would you rather be the first person on Mars or get abducted and be able to confirm aliens exist but have no proof?
    I’d rather be the first person on Mars.  I’m not down for an alien abduction!  :astonished:
    Hatorian
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @akritenbrink - I’d love to have you... we’ll be toasty warm around the fireplace <span>:wink:</span>
    TaraC73 said:
    @akritenbrink - I’d love to have you... we’ll be toasty warm around the fireplace <span>:wink:</span>
    any chance you'll have lobster rolls? if so, i'm in too!!
    Michelle
    Wait wait wait, I wanna go!  Will you also have any red wine??  :smiley:
    I can get wine and lobster rolls, that’s for sure! 

We need an an east coast BM meet up, we can do it here :smiley: I’m only an hour north of Boston... but we have some fun pubs including:

https://boards-brews.business.site/

Chinaski
  • I've only been in Manchester to the extent of eating dinner, crashing, and hitting the road early the next morning on a road trip, but I found it to be very nice. Yelp pointed us to Republic (I'm pretty sure that's where) and it was pretty delightful.
    TaraC73Chinaski
  • edited August 2018
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:
    hmmm.. i've seen Fire in the Sky and The Martian. i'll take first person on Mars.
    I 2nd this, Fire in the Sky alone makes me choose first person on Mars.  

Also I would have to choose no internet.  I want to say that Minnesota has the biggest temperature change between winter and summer of any other state but I also feel like I'm pulling that out of my ass.  Either way Minnesota winters would be awful without electric heat.  My cabin has a wood burning stove and it does just fine but it's also not a very big cabin so it doesn't take much to heat it.
    TaraC73Chinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:

Also I would have to choose no internet.  I want to say that Minnesota has the biggest temperature change between winter and summer of any other state but I also feel like I'm pulling that out of my ass.  Either way Minnesota winters would be awful without electric heat.  My cabin has a wood burning stove and it does just fine but it's also not a very big cabin so it doesn't take much to heat it.
    That makes me wonder what state and/or area has the biggest change. We get from about 110 at the hottest to a bit under 20 at the coldest. Is 90 degrees common? I know other parts of Texas might have more extreme differences.
  • Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:

That makes me wonder what state and/or area has the biggest change. We get from about 110 at the hottest to a bit under 20 at the coldest. Is 90 degrees common? I know other parts of Texas might have more extreme differences.
    In Iowa, where I grew up, it could get over 100 in the summer and well below 0 in the wintertime. I think Minnesota might be similar.
    It's very common to have a week or 2 in the winter in MN where the high temperature is in the negative with some of the days being highs in the double digit negatives.  And that's before wind chill.  I'm sure Iowa has very cold winter stretches like that as well.
    @Travis Manchester has its good and hard parts just like any other big city :) we love it here. We e never gone to Republic, but it’s very popular!

According https://www.earthnetworks.com/blog/swing-states-americas-extreme-temperature-ranges/

Montana

The first state is Montana: A beautiful state with stunning mountain views, but also the home to some stunning fluctuations in temperature. The coldest temperature that has ever been recorded in the state is -70 degrees, and the most severe fluctuation in 24 hours was a shift from -54 degrees to 49 degrees.

TravisNoelChinaski
  • edited August 2018
    TaraC73 said:
    @Travis Manchester has its good and hard parts just like any other big city :) we love it here. We e never gone to Republic, but it’s very popular!

According https://www.earthnetworks.com/blog/swing-states-americas-extreme-temperature-ranges/

Montana

The first state is Montana: A beautiful state with stunning mountain views, but also the home to some stunning fluctuations in temperature. The coldest temperature that has ever been recorded in the state is -70 degrees, and the most severe fluctuation in 24 hours was a shift from -54 degrees to 49 degrees.

Interesting stat.  I'd like to see one where it does average coldest/warmest temp during a winter/summer over record low/high.  Do you think that -70 is before or after windchill?  I would assume after windchill but IDK.  Just playing around on a website Minnesota's coldest day without windchill was -41 and the hottest was 108.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:

In Iowa, where I grew up, it could get over 100 in the summer and well below 0 in the wintertime. I think Minnesota might be similar.
    It's very common to have a week or 2 in the winter in MN where the high temperature is in the negative with some of the days being highs in the double digit negatives.  And that's before wind chill.  I'm sure Iowa has very cold winter stretches like that as well.
    Crazy. I don’t know how y’all do it. The coldest I’ve experienced in Dallas around 5 or 6 degrees with the wind chill. But I was in Kansas City during January and it was definitely under zero with the windchill. That wind man, it cuts through all of your fabrics and into your soul. I’m getting cold just thinking about it  :s
    edited August 2018
    Speaking of hot and cold - would you rather swim totally naked in freezing cold water (like, Arctic cold) for at least 30 minutes or walk 10 miles in 110* heat?
  • edited August 2018
    Noel said:
    Crazy. I don’t know how y’all do it. The coldest I’ve experienced in Dallas around 5 or 6 degrees with the wind chill. But I was in Kansas City during January and it was definitely under zero with the windchill. That wind man, it cuts through all of your fabrics and into your soul. I’m getting cold just thinking about it  :s
    You just sort of get used to it truth be told.  I’ve lived in Wisconsin most of my life and worked outside most of that time.  We’ve been sent home when it reached 110° (43°C) which is rare but happens, the other end though, well, that you just sort of work through.  I’ve spent weeks outside dropping trees in sub-Zero weather (-17° or more C) and the worst part is getting to the job site, once you’re moving around you keep yourself warm.  We all just wore lots of layers, had professional gear (not like crazy arctic military gear or anything just the same stuff you see guys wearing to Packers games in December), drank hot liquids and ate a lot to make up those calories.  If you have minimal skin exposed and use chemical hand/foot warmers it’s not that bad.  Oh, and the coldest I’ve ever experienced here is -70° (-56°C) with the windchill, but that was just once.

That said I think I would rather walk 10 Miles in 110° heat.  I don’t think I’d make all 10 before I dropped but I would definitely last longer than if I swam in arctic water!  I’ll say 7 miles walking or 8 min swimming.
    Noel
    Michelle said:
    Speaking of hot and cold - would you rather swim totally naked in freezing cold water (like, Arctic cold) for at least 30 minutes or walk 10 miles in 110* heat?
    as much as i hate heat, i'll take the walk. i'd just have some water handy and go. be a nice little workout.

here's one. would you rather only live in night or day forever? basically it would be night 24/7 or vice versa.
    MichelleTravisNoel
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    as much as i hate heat, i'll take the walk. i'd just have some water handy and go. be a nice little workout.

here's one. would you rather only live in night or day forever? basically it would be night 24/7 or vice versa.
    Day!  I need the warm sunshine. :)  I can put up light-blocking curtains in my house so that I can sleep.
    Travis

I’m with Michelle... although I love night time it’s easier to replicate darkness with light blocking curtains than it is to replicate real sunlight :) 
    MichelleTravis
  • edited August 2018
    Noel said:
    Being a snowmobiler definitely helps because I have extreme cold weather gear.  I can be doing 80mph in negative degree weather on my snowmobile and not even feel a bit of the cold from outside.  It's all about having the right clothing and gear and temperature makes almost no difference at all.  Just have to be covered head to toe otherwise you'll for sure get frostbite snowmobiling.

Michelle said:
    Honestly I think you're body temperature would drop so much you would physically go into shock if you were in that cold of water for that long.  As much as I hate the heat I'd take walk 10 miles in 110 degree heat.  As long as you have water you'd be just fine.

I'd much rather live in daylight 24/7 than night.  They make blackout shades/curtains for a reason.
    MichelleNoel
  • Michelle said:
    I'd take the walk in the heat, but only out of fear of hypothermia. If there is a magic wand to remove the potentially serious illness off the table, then give me the cold.

Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

This one is pretty tough for me actually. If you had asked me 15 years ago, night would have been a slam dunk, but my wife has really gotten me to appreciate the sun. Even with blackout curtains, it's just hard to sleep with the sun out. I think because I love my wife and she has such an attachment to the sun I would take that for her. I would probably take the night otherwise. Definitely need to stock up on vitamin D supplements. 
    MichelleTaraC73
  • Daylight, not even a seconds hesitation for me on this one.  I have no problem sleeping in direct sunlight.  The only darkness I’d miss is the pre-dawn darkness because I’m one of those weirdo morning people who likes getting up before the sun.  :D
    NoelMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:

Man, I’m such a night person that I thought I’d pick darkness but I’m with everyone else. Daytime and blackout curtains. As much as I love the night, I do miss the crap out of the sun when it’s been a few days with all clouds. I would REALLY miss twilight though. It’s my absolute favorite part of the day.
    MichelleFreiberg
This discussion has been closed.